CA - Elliot Rodger kills 6, injures 13 in Isla Vista, Near UC Santa Barbara, #3

Has anyone established whether this fool had been "roommate matched" with the roomates he killed or they all signed a lease together? The profile of them did not fit the profile of those he claimed to be so against, IMO. Not "hunks" that got all the beautiful girls, or at least didn't seem to be.

IIRC, the complex was "put on notice" that there were problems and did not act on it. Between that notice to them but subsequent visits by the Sheriffs Dept. between the "theft" and welfare check within the same time frames, I cannot help to feel that had the complex acted more diligently the lives of the roomates may have been spared. Hindsight is 20/20 I get that.

JMO's
Has anyone established whether this fool had been "roommate matched"

really good question in light of his views on minorities.........

I don't think violent video games are helping the mind. Fill the mind with junk and you have a junk mind.

But these games are available all over the world.

The US seems to be a hot bed of violence. That is, for a country that is not in a war on its own land
But the problem with this focus is there is no real way to cease this, or guns, someone that is thinking about killing a bunch of people is not going to say OH it is againist the law for me have one of these. That IMO is just not realistic, so it becmes ONLY about what might really intervene here that is doable - funding, and if that fails, well we all be very busy here on WS !

Is about foucsing on what can really be done to intervene........

Let pretend..........day after tomm not one more gun is allowed to be purchased in AMerica. Well, there are 496 million registered one and god knows how many not ----kinda silly IMO

As the last year has proven it is just a meritless distraction - preventing DOABLE (maybe) addressing this .... same with internet, it is not going to be controlled, same with violent games unenforceable - our only choice is to try to do something that, as a society we might be able to have some meaningful intervention..........

Yup. Deadly. But very rare in those countries mentioned except the US. If we adjust for population, some states in the US have more than other countries
except the US

has to be a reason..............

Has anyone established whether this fool had been "roommate matched" with the roomates he killed or they all signed a lease together? The profile of them did not fit the profile of those he claimed to be so against, IMO. Not "hunks" that got all the beautiful girls, or at least didn't seem to be.

JMO's

RSBM for focus

I can only image ER was "roommate matched". JMO

On the Capri website it states:

Roommate Matching
Don’t have a roommate in mind? Don’t worry we can find one for you with our roommate matching process! Based on the roommate matching profile form each student completes, we will do our best to match your student with the best suited roommates. http://capriiv.com/parents

and:

We welcome individuals to apply and we're happy to help find roommates if you'd like. Based on the roommate matching profile form each student completes, we will do our best to match your student with the best suited roommates. http://capriiv.com/lease-now
- - - > Who filled out the "roommate matching profile form" and
other forms when ER's paperwork was submitted???

The choice is honestly either almost everyone gets guns or almost no one does. Most countries have a lot less access, but that goes for everyone. The only way to screen out unstable people is to do basically the same type of check something like the FBI does before letting people come work for them. Talk to everyone in their lives about their behavioral history. I think there are some countries that might do this, but they also don't have a second amendment.

ETA: And, there are countries where little kids can have guns, and they don't have this particular issue. However, they are usually involved in some horrific civil war, so they are definitely not an example of nonviolence.
Talk to everyone in their lives about their behavioral history.

Fiscally impossible,that is why this keeps getting worse, we need to focus on doable stuff. the rest is great discussion here (!) not gonna happen , we must find realistic , implemtal deal I vote for instantly stop growing lettuce in space and send those funds right here!!!!!NOW! Realistic doable

Exactly jjenny,

Another example is Julie Schenecker.

Julie has a long history of extreme mental illness, 20 years at least. But she was able to buy a gun and murder her two innocent teenagers. Sometimes I think the HIPAA law does more harm than good.
HIPAA law

Oh god it was a hassle billions of dollars training, forms,just BS confidentality and priviledged communication were very well established , for years, total bunch of govt coming up with a stupid waste of resources, in a system that was already working

S T U P I D

My considerably thought out but completely unconfirmable guesses are:

Some of these countries allow much less access to guns, but I don't think video games, violent movies, or divorce are any different there.

Some of these countries make it easier to institutionalize people, but I can't think of any countries that regularly institutionalize these types who don't display major red flags.

I think there is a lot less pressure for success in many other countries (some in Asia being an obvious exception, but that's as to academic-type achievement - I feel like the U.S. is very unique in its emphasis on having it all).

Most other countries have a lot more social structure so there's a lot less agonizing about what to do for an education/job.

It's a lot easier to get away with crimes in most countries, with much less chance of heavy sentence or the consequences that happen in the U.S., so a lot of them probably take out their frustration in smaller ways instead of feeling like they have one shot to take a chance and lash out at society.

I also feel like the U.S. is very black or white in how the media/society focuses on things, yet preaches an ideology of freedom, which causes rage at society for being "hypocrites." Most countries have really obvious strict moral standards that seem ridiculous to us, but are predictable. I feel like Americans always think there's some perfect way something could have been addressed, right or wrong, and the appropriate social rule constantly changes or doesn't even exist. The media always talks about personal responsibility while blaming everyone for any event that happens. This is a perfect example - you have all these outraged voices blaming everyone for this but in the next breath they'd bash anyone who does or does not want gun control, does or does not want to lock up any slightly 'off' person, does or does not blame the parents, or refers to autism. They never acknowledge that issues are complicated - everyone is the bad guy. I feel like in most countries, the bad guy is more clear, even if it's pretty terrible and ridiculous (like countries that always blame the woman for any crime). I feel like the way we do it breeds insanity because there's just no way to feel on the right path if you are the kind of person who dwells on these things.

Not sure if this accurate, but worth pondering, we have become a two working parent society - I kinda think other nations there is a "at home mom", providing structure morals etc

In the animal kingdom mom does not let her babies be "left alone" untill ........I think that is huge here in US - what is the solution to that angle no clue

but I think a major issue with all this .....

I thought one of the main characteristics of a sociopath is that he's "superficially charming." It's hard to imagine anyone less charming than ER. He lacked all social grace, so it appears.
Luka Mag, imo SOCIOPATH!

That reminded me of a Bill Cosby routine. He was talking about how people act when they drink and how someone who drinks a lot might justify it by explaining that when a person drinks, their inhibitions are lowered and the "real you" can come out. Bill Cosby's reply was something along the lines of, "Yeah, but what if you're an *advertiser censored**HOLE?"
OR.....A drunk mans words are a sober mans thoughts..............

The choice is honestly either almost everyone gets guns or almost no one does. Most countries have a lot less access, but that goes for everyone. The only way to screen out unstable people is to do basically the same type of check something like the FBI does before letting people come work for them. Talk to everyone in their lives about their behavioral history. I think there are some countries that might do this, but they also don't have a second amendment.

ETA: And, there are countries where little kids can have guns, and they don't have this particular issue. However, they are usually involved in some horrific civil war, so they are definitely not an example of nonviolence.

BBM

Good point.

Probably add another layer of bureaucracy to be staffed by law enforcement officers and mental health professionals. Never mind that ER had contact with both law enforcement officers and mental health professionals numerous times in his life. It's not their fault he went on a rampage. The solution is we just need MORE law enforcement officers and mental health professionals.

I think the Anti-Federalists (the politicians who supported the insertion of the Bill of Rights in the Constitution) understood that he greatest danger we face is the intrusive powers of the state.

JMO

I also think it is clear that these events have a huge copycat association. In the U.S., we're always talking about guns, shootings, mental health, etc. - these topics are more taboo in some countries. I live in an upper middle class town that had a bizarre amount of high school suicides in the last few years - they keep holding all these assemblies trying to "fix" it, but I think the more attention they give, the more kids consider it. I believe the number of incidents is a direct result of being exposed to it so consistently, because there doesn't seem to be anything else explaining it.

IIRC, the complex was "put on notice" that there were problems and did not act on it. Between that notice to them but subsequent visits by the Sheriffs Dept. between the "theft" and welfare check within the same time frames, I cannot help to feel that had the complex acted more diligently the lives of the roomates may have been spared. Hindsight is 20/20 I get that.

JMO's

From reading the manifesto it seems the only reason he killed the roommates - in particular- was to get them out of the way so he could lure others to his apartment to torture and kill them.

He was mad at the whole world. He wasn't that discriminating in his targets IMO

Talk to everyone in their lives about their behavioral history.

Fiscally impossible,that is why this keeps getting worse, we need to focus on doable stuff. the rest is great discussion here (!) not gonna happen , we must find realistic , implemtal deal I vote for instantly stop growing lettuce in space and send those funds right here!!!!!NOW! Realistic doable

I hate to say this but I don't think there is a doable option that will stop rampage killings.

I also think it is clear that these events have a huge copycat association. In the U.S., we're always talking about guns, shootings, mental health, etc. - these topics are more taboo in some countries. I live in an upper middle class town that had a bizarre amount of high school suicides in the last few years - they keep holding all these assemblies trying to "fix" it, but I think the more attention they give, the more kids consider it. I believe the number of incidents is a direct result of being exposed to it so consistently, because there doesn't seem to be anything else explaining it.

Sometimes the copycatting is explicit. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold set out with the intention of topping Timothy McVeigh's body count. They even chose the date of their rampage, April 20th, because of McVeigh. And Seung-Hui Cho idolized the Columbine killers and chose a date in April (the 16th, I believe) as well.

I just read the manifesto. This guy reminds me of Eric Harris, with a bit of Jodi Arias thrown in.

I thought that too. I also thought Seung-Hui Cho, Andrew Cunanan, and Lori Drew.

Sometimes the copycatting is explicit. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold set out with the intention of topping Timothy McVeigh's body count. They even chose the date of their rampage, April 20th, because of McVeigh. And Seung-Hui Cho idolized the Columbine killers and chose a date in April (the 16th, I believe) as well.

I tend to think that Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were very angry that Timothy McVeigh was sentenced to die in Denver and in the Supermax Prison in nearby Florence.

They were also angry that Ramzi Yousef and Ted Kaczynski were there too around the time McVeigh entered that prison. Even though this is not mentioned by them, but makes you wonder if it was related to those series of imprisonments. This is what I think.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back