CA - Elliot Rodger kills 6, injures 13 in Isla Vista, Near UC Santa Barbara, #3

I am posting this from the Justin Bourque, situation because the themes continue:
This woman knew them , and worked on like a hot line (support network) for mental illness:

“We dealt with some suicides, and parents always told us they tried to get help but were always told, ‘unless he hurts someone, there’s not much we can do.’

Irene said that during her time working in a support network, helping families deal with tragedies, she met people “time and again” who couldn’t get the proper help for mental illness.
“If you could get the right help from the beginning, when the signs start and not later when it’s too late, these tragedies could be avoided.”

Mental illness still carries a huge stigma, she said, noting that people are quick to help people with cancer, or handicaps or other issues.
http://o.canada.com/news/bourque-family-tried-to-get-help-for-accused-moncton-killer

Just to clarify, I think doctors don't believe in physical dependence on antidepressants either. They recognize withdrawal, but it's not like your body needs more and more and loses the ability to regulate itself through the use of antidepressants. It seems like a relatively small number of people get withdrawal, as your body adjusts to the change in brain chemicals, but I guess the idea is that SSRIs keeps your body from taking the chemicals back into the receptors, so that you have more of them around to prevent depression. Addictive drugs cause your receptors to flood your body with those chemicals to crazy levels and then you run out of them altogether, leading to a longterm depression. So if you go off an SSRI, you may have some issues with adjusting to lower serotonin levels or whatever, but it's not like you were used to having abnormally large amounts of those chemicals in your brain and have fried your receptors such that you now are totally mentally messed up, which causes the withdrawal and later problems.

I beg to differ with this statement. Doctors do recognize withdrawal and addiction. SSRI withdrawal is horrendous. Could you link a study where the receptors are "fried" and "you are now totally messed up"? As an RN, I am interested in learning more about what you stated. TIA

I beg to differ with this statement. Doctors do recognize withdrawal and addiction. SSRI withdrawal is horrendous. Could you link a study where the receptors are "fried" and "you are now totally messed up"? As an RN, I am interested in learning more about what you stated. TIA

SSRI withdrawal is awful. And the warning specifically says, 'do not stop taking without consulting a Dr. first.' This is from personal experience, so I do not have a link.

Here we go again

High school shooting happening now

Oregon

Doctors don't recognize addiction to SSRIs. They do recognize withdrawal, as I said. I have gone through it - was not horrendous for me, but I know it is for some people. I'm not sure if you misread my post or are just asking in general, but the "fried receptors" had to do with technically addictive drugs, not SSRIs. I am not saying SSRIs do that. I just got the brain zaps.

Wikipedia on SSRI withdrawal: SSRI discontinuation syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia on how SSRI withdrawal differs from what is normally considered withdrawal: Drug withdrawal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you read about some of the drugs mentioned there, it will explain what I mean about fried receptors.

ETA:,

Main point is that drugs that produce a "high" and are considered addictive, such as opiates, uppers, and alcohol, cause your brain to produce *way too many* feel-good chemicals. Antidepressants keep your body from *reabsorbing* the chemicals so that they remain closer to *normal*, NOT elevated levels. So having fewer feel-good chemicals from discontinuing an SSRI can cause negative symptoms while your body adjusts, after missing more than a few doses. But with the other substances, if you are addicted, you have caused your receptors to use up all the chemicals they had to offer, so you plunge to extremely low levels until your brain realizes it needs to begin making more because the drug is no longer around to stimulate it. So you get extremely messed up immediately, and then slowly get better. Addiction also means you need more and more because your brain produces fewer chemicals on its own as it gets used to the drug doing that, so you get less of an effect. That doesn't happen much with SSRIs - dosages are adjusted, but people don't normally need to keep going up forever, because you are trying to get to normal levels, not to a point where you are high.

Doctors don't recognize addiction to SSRIs. They do recognize withdrawal, as I said. I have gone through it - was not horrendous for me, but I know it is for some people. I'm not sure if you misread my post or are just asking in general, but the "fried receptors" had to do with technically addictive drugs, not SSRIs. I am not saying SSRIs do that. I just got the brain zaps.

Wikipedia on SSRI withdrawal: SSRI discontinuation syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia on how SSRI withdrawal differs from what is normally considered withdrawal: Drug withdrawal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you read about some of the drugs mentioned there, it will explain what I mean about fried receptors.

ETA:,

Main point is that drugs that produce a "high" and are considered addictive, such as opiates, uppers, and alcohol, cause your brain to produce *way too many* feel-good chemicals. Antidepressants keep your body from *reabsorbing* the chemicals so that they remain closer to *normal*, NOT elevated levels. So having fewer feel-good chemicals from discontinuing an SSRI can cause negative symptoms while your body adjusts, after missing more than a few doses. But with the other substances, if you are addicted, you have caused your receptors to use up all the chemicals they had to offer, so you plunge to extremely low levels until your brain realizes it needs to begin making more because the drug is no longer around to stimulate it. So you get extremely messed up immediately, and then slowly get better. Addiction also means you need more and more because your brain produces fewer chemicals on its own as it gets used to the drug doing that, so you get less of an effect. That doesn't happen much with SSRIs - dosages are adjusted, but people don't normally need to keep going up forever, because you are trying to get to normal levels, not to a point where you are high.

Oh, "brain zaps!" I was prescribed an ssri with an off label use for nerve pain. It was the most horrible medication experience of my life. I think I now know what it feels like to be a little mentally ill. It felt kind of like my brain was being unplugged for a split second at the base of my skull and I described it just the way you did -- a brain zap. I also didn't feel at all like myself. It was so awful and distressing I called my doc thinking it couldn't possibly be normal. He said it was, so I quit them right then and there. Awful awful awful. Sorry for the o/t but was excited to see that someone seems to have had a similar experience.

Oh, "brain zaps!" I was prescribed an ssri with an off label use for nerve pain. It was the most horrible medication experience of my life. I think I now know what it feels like to be a little mentally ill. It felt kind of like my brain was being unplugged for a split second at the base of my skull and I described it just the way you did -- a brain zap. I also didn't feel at all like myself. It was so awful and distressing I called my doc thinking it couldn't possibly be normal. He said it was, so I quit them right then and there. Awful awful awful. Sorry for the o/t but was excited to see that someone seems to have had a similar experience.
I heard and saw it all day long/ That is why on my end there is a reaqction when folks talk about He did not take his meds = most did not = it made them feel like crap. and the sicker they were, the worse the meds and the highter the reisitance a horrible cycle

Respectfully, here at WS we are reflective of the whole society - Elliot got a lot of attn right here in comparison to the others in the last 10 days. IMO I think the reason is because of many in societies notions of what mental illness looks like. Folks believe, i think that unless one is talking to the clouds there illiness is BS. Very few are talking to the sky and very ill.

Clean cut, nice looking, designer clothes cruising aroundin a 48K car etc, dad director of one of the biggest movies in recent memory . - it befuddles people more than the other recently. The Ga capital got very little attn and if that one went down the arsonal that guy had would have been unreal.

So,while the article links talks about that element, in honesty, we all did the same thing, right here the article is moaning about ...no?[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Elliott's father is going to do an interview...

I wouldn't be surprised if the interview will be very biased as he and his son did not get along. In the manifesto, Elliot said that his father and his stepmom kicked him out of the house and did not allow him to enter it. He said his father would always take the side of the stepmom in every argument. Elliot did not even talk to his father for quite awhile until his grandmother intervened and forced them to talk.

His dad was not the director of the Hunger Games, but the second unit director, which is even lower ranked than the assistant director. He also works as a photographer, with a series where he takes pictures of naked rears of women. It seems that he has taken those down from his site since the killings, but some sites captured the images before they were taken down. I read that one of the naked rear pictures was of Elliot's step mom. His step mom was also on some reality tv show like "The Real Housewives" in a different country.

He talked of how his father was not there for him growing up. And it did seem like he spent a lot of time away.

Brain zaps typically occur when you taper off SSRIS, but I've heard that's one of the least awful symptoms, so I'm glad I didn't get others. I tapered slowly so I got them very occasionally and would just take a pill that day even though I'd already gone off completely. It happened less and less until it didn't happen at all. I didn't find it too annoying, but I know some people get them constantly, and then I can see how it would interfere badly with daily life.

I wouldn't be surprised if the interview will be very biased as he and his son did not get along. In the manifesto, Elliot said that his father and his stepmom kicked him out of the house and did not allow him to enter it. He said his father would always take the side of the stepmom in every argument. Elliot did not even talk to his father for quite awhile until his grandmother intervened and forced them to talk.

His dad was not the director of the Hunger Games, but the second unit director, which is even lower ranked than the assistant director. He also works as a photographer, with a series where he takes pictures of naked rears of women. It seems that he has taken those down from his site since the killings, but some sites captured the images before they were taken down. I read that one of the naked rear pictures was of Elliot's step mom. His step mom was also on some reality tv show like "The Real Housewives" in a different country.

He talked of how his father was not there for him growing up. And it did seem like he spent a lot of time away.

I agree E and will not even watch. I just feel that it will be spin control to save his career and garner sympathy. I really do feel sorry for all involved but I would rather watch him team up with victims families and do something proactive (which another ws'er, I think Shana, already proposed). ER's stepmom was featured on the french version of real housewives: http://www.irealhousewives.com/2013/06/videos-watch-les-vraies-housewives.html In one of the episodes, you can actually see ER on the red carpet with his stepmother and father. If someone wants me to repost I will.

Every day now there is a mass shooting. Sorry O/T but when will it stop??!!!

Not that it is cool, but what kid between about 11-18 has NOT been called a homophobic slur at some point (regardless of whether they actually are homosexual or not).

ETA- To be fair though, these are college age kids. But let's face it, there is no shortage if ignorant people in the world, even those who attend college.

I don't think many guys grow out of that word before age 30, at least from my experience here in Cali. It seems to not even refer to homosexuality anymore, it's used as a catch all insult for the diction impaired. Jmo.
Not that it is cool, but what kid between about 11-18 has NOT been called a homophobic slur at some point (regardless of whether they actually are homosexual or not).

ETA- To be fair though, these are college age kids. But let's face it, there is no shortage if ignorant people in the world, even those who attend college.

I don't think many guys grow out of that word before age 30, at least from my experience here in Cali. It seems to not even refer to homosexuality anymore, it's used as a catch all insult for the diction impaired. Jmo.

Agreed.
I taught my son not to use it, but I am sure in his "internet" world it gets tossed around quite a bit.
He knows if he ever called anyone that in real life he would have to deal with my wrath though.
(It is such a juvenile word, I can remember in my younger teens it would almost be a term of endearment....like someone does something goofy and you would say "You are such a ***". We were young and dumb.).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back