CA - Erica Guerra, 5, killed in hit & run, Wasco, 3 May 2007

If you look at the video closely, it looks as if the mom is carrying another child and then another child is close by her - and the 5 year old hesitated and mom didn't look back to make sure she was coming - I would be petrified walking across a big street like that NOT at an intersection with 3 kids....that car was coming fast, too. The mom barely made it across before that car came through. I bet that car was looking at the mom and the other two kids making it across in time and didn't see that little girl lagging behind. How horrible.

I saw a 3 year old get hit by a car after darting out into a busy 4 lane with a boulevard in the middle. She had been standing with about 4 other kids ranging in age from 3 to about 10, on the shoulder. They were in pj's - it was early on a Sunday morning. My daughter and I said, "OMG that kid looks like she's going to run into the street!" just before she did. We stopped immediately and so did the driver who hit her, and an off-duty EMT. I saw to the children, the EMT saw to the girl, who was unconscious, my daughter called 911. The mother eventually arrived on the scene, so hysterical I finally grasped her wrist and told her she wasn't helping her daughter and to calm down. After the other children were moved to safety I realized the young woman who hit the child was standing alone by her car, sobbing. I went over and stayed with her until the police were done taking initial statements. She could not have done anything differently - the child just darted suddenly into the street! I really felt for her. It could happen to anyone. What is it with some parents?

Eve

That's so scary! I'm betting the posters who said the driver was impaired or wanted are right.

That poor family.

If you look at the video closely, it looks as if the mom is carrying another child and then another child is close by her - and the 5 year old hesitated and mom didn't look back to make sure she was coming - I would be petrified walking across a big street like that NOT at an intersection with 3 kids....that car was coming fast, too. The mom barely made it across before that car came through. I bet that car was looking at the mom and the other two kids making it across in time and didn't see that little girl lagging behind. How horrible.

I see the same thing. It also looks like the driver never hit the brakes. I saw no brake lights come on.

Here is another picture of an 02 Taurus. Of course it could be a Sable too as they look alike.
ford_taurus_2.jpg

I agree. The person who didn't stop was most likely already wanted, driving on a revoked or suspended or incredibly wasted.

I saw a 3 year old get hit by a car after darting out into a busy 4 lane with a boulevard in the middle. She had been standing with about 4 other kids ranging in age from 3 to about 10, on the shoulder. They were in pj's - it was early on a Sunday morning. My daughter and I said, "OMG that kid looks like she's going to run into the street!" just before she did. We stopped immediately and so did the driver who hit her, and an off-duty EMT. I saw to the children, the EMT saw to the girl, who was unconscious, my daughter called 911. The mother eventually arrived on the scene, so hysterical I finally grasped her wrist and told her she wasn't helping her daughter and to calm down. After the other children were moved to safety I realized the young woman who hit the child was standing alone by her car, sobbing. I went over and stayed with her until the police were done taking initial statements. She could not have done anything differently - the child just darted suddenly into the street! I really felt for her. It could happen to anyone. What is it with some parents?

Eve
the person in your story was a good person. she stopped to help the child as did you. it can happen to any of us but is 1 of my greatest fears when i drive to pick my kids up at schoool every day.

accidents happen. what i cant wrap my mind around is how u hit a baby and drive with it on your hood a few seconds then keep going when she falls off.

OMG that poor baby girl and her family. In no way do I blame the mother. Yes, there are always "should have's, could have's and would have's" but I can not sit here and blame her at all. I can not even begin to imagine how she is feeling.
I hope the SOB that hit this little angel is found.

Great post... While the mom should have been holding her hand, it's not her fault. The SOB who hit the baby and kept going (and I don't care what they were doing or not doing in that car) is the one totally at fault. This mom lost her baby. I pray to God that the driver loses much more.... :furious:

Looks like a Ford Taurus to me.

01.ford.taurus.350.jpg

That's what I thought too Paladin. It looked to me to be a silver Ford Taurus. Not sure of the year...never have been good at that. :eek:

Yep, exactly..there had to be a really serioius reason this person didn't stop, which scares ya more...who is this running around the streets??? An escapee? A wanted child molester? Or just a druggie? Will this person be found? Was the car stolen?

You can see the car drift off the the right after he/she/they strike the child. The poor mother is running after the car, I just cannot even imagine. I hate to, but I have to lay some blame on the mother for not HOLDING her childrens hands while crossing the street, however, I am sure it was unintentional and she will pay emotionally for that mistake for the rest of her life, my heart physically aches for her right now.

If the hit and run driver would have stopped at the scene, everyone would be blaming the mom for this accident, JMO.

Yes, this mom will suffer the rest of her life. Is it just me or does it look like the little girl stopped to either tie her shoe or pick something up?

May she rest in peace.....

I can't even begin to comprehend what this mother must be going through. My dd always held my hand, but then again I only have one. I watched the video several times and it's hard to see at first, but you can see the two children walking together. Without sound, we don't know for sure if mom had told the children to hold hands and they said they were. The mom might have said "Ok, 1, 2, 3, keep holding hands, let's go." The little girl let go to fix her shoe and the other one kept running. We also don't know the reason they were crossing there. I'm not trying to make excuses for for the mom, it's just we don't have all of the facts. When the little girl was struck and the mom raced after her, I'm just relieved that the other children didn't follow or run into the road. This is a terrible tragedy. I do hope they find the driver.

Edited to add: I posted this before reading the above link. I was giving the mom the benefit of the doubt about holding hands. I gues she crossed the street so often, she just assumed the little girl would keep up w/ her.

This mother has lost her husband in a car accident less than two years before....and they were all in the car at the time.

I'll go get the link.

"Why didn't Daddy watch out for us when we crossed the street?" Brandon asked his mother."

OMG.
:(

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. -- Authorities continued searching Friday for the driver of a vehicle that hit and killed a 5-year-old child. Police said the incident took place just after 7 p.m. Thursday in front of J & J market on F and Poso streets in Wasco.

Authorities said Erica Paulina Guerra was crossing the street in the crosswalk with her mother and brother when the driver of a gray car ran through the four-way stop and struck her.

“I saw the life go out of her. I saw her move her little hand to her head as if she was trying to move something off her face,” said a witness who identified himself as Juan.

MOre at link:

http://www.turnto23.com/news/13262644/detail.html

Just heartbreaking..absolutely heart breaking...

This is so heartbreaking that there are just not words....:(

God bless that beautiful child and her precious family. Oh Gosh, I'm just at a loss...

crossing the street in the crosswalk .....
car ran through the four-way stop and struck her. ....
ty so much for this info. it answered a lot of questions some of us had. it only makes the driver worse imo but at least we know that the driver not only left after they hit the child but they would never have hit the child if they followed the law and stopped at the sign.

That article is just heartbreaking....

After watching the video again, she must have been carrying a bag of groceries instead of another child as I had originally thought......and the most disturbing part is that if that car would have stopped when he initially made contact, she may have been ok - instead he kept going and it looked like he swerved to get her off of the hood and then ran over her. :mad:

crossing the street in the crosswalk .....
car ran through the four-way stop and struck her.

OMG - going 35 through a four way stop? Ok, I feel awful for even criticizing the mother before - she was probably lucky that she made it across herself. How awful. No wonder she wants this man in jail for the rest of his life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lex sluther
Back