CA CA - Erica Maskaleris, 31, Oakland, 7 March 2013

Like being chased? WTH does that mean?

I know????

I wonder if her bags were packed, etc,, for her upcoming trip as well.

I also hope the media can clear up the missing time

Yeah, I have a feeling this one may work itself out. Hoping so anyways.

She's pretty, but she's not unusual looking at all. I see women who look virtually identical to her every time I go to the grocery store. If the rumored "siting" is a stranger who thinks they saw someone who looks like her, the hope that will pan out is very bleak, IMHO.

Oakland is my hometown. I was actually in town yesterday walking around Lake Merritt in the sunshine. So many people were out and about -- smiling and enjoying the beautiful scenery. I also noticed the fliers for Erica posted around the Lake. It is frustrating to hear about all the crime that goes down in this beautiful city. Most of the residents are good people who want to feel safe and thrive within their community. It is a shame that others take that away from them.

But they can't. And I hate to sound so negative early on, but I don't think the outlook is good. Maybe it is because my best friend was just held up at gun point at 9 pm last Thursday near the lake. Maybe it is because my partner was jumped and beaten in broad daylight for an old smashed up iPhone. Perhaps it is because of the numerous drive-by shootings I heard during soccer practice in high school.

I really hope for the best outcome for Erica. I hope she is safe and I hope this sighting in West Oakland is a good sign. When I saw the clip of the church group organizing the search for her, I thought "now THAT is what Oakland is." It is a community of good-hearted people from all ethnicities, ages and walks of life looking out for each other.

Sorry this is a bit off topic/rantish...

Hi - I know Erica and her nephew/roommate/business partner Patrick. Not well, but I had seen and talked to both of them in the past two weeks.

I do know that Erica still felt VERY connected to her husband Josiah, who died about a year ago.

But at the same time she and Patrick were working hard on their business. A week and a half ago when I last saw her she was smiling and seemed calm and happy.

I think the time discrepancy between Wednesday night and Thursday morning as the "last seen" time was because Patrick came home latish on Wednesday and left early in the morning on Thursday, so was unable to verify that she was home Wednesday night.

Also, the street where she was last seen in Oakland is pretty grungy, but not at all a dangerous part of town. The bakery whose camera captured her on Thursday morning is usually hopping at that hour, with regular nice working-class people. That part of Telegraph Ave. and the area around Lake Merritt are both quite busy in the morning, with commuters on Telegraph and joggers around Lake Merritt.

It would surprise me very much if she were snatched off the street in either location.

But still, I am very worried, and I know her family is too.

:welcome5: Oaktowngirl

Thanks for sharing your insight.

Hopefully they will find additional cctv footage that leads to Erica's whereabouts.

Better yet, hopefully she will return safely home real soon.

Where are you Erica?

Also wanted to point out that I think the surveillance video is from the corner of the bakery (telegraph & 34th) facing West. You can see the two poles along the left of the screen that are also present on Googlemaps (the pole of the parking meter and the slanted wire thingy that tethers the electric pole). If my interpretation of the video is correct, then she is walking East on 34th (headed towards Telegraph Ave).

MOO, but on the video, where they are saying she is walking with a purpose, looks to me like she's just walking for a workout (that would be the purpose). Totally MOO though. I'm just not seeing her look like she is trying to get away, feeling like she is being followed, etc.

Still really confused on the timeline too.

Hi all,

The timeline is that she was last seen by Patrick early Wednesday evening. He then went out, and assumed she was asleep when he returned late in the evening. Patrick left the house around 6:45 A.M. on Thursday, assuming she was asleep, which she probably was.

Patrick began to grow alarmed when he couldn't reach her that day, and started calling friends and family members around 10 that evening - very worried at that point, especially given the planned flight to Dallas on Friday.

A full search effort was launched at dawn on Friday, with Patrick alerting Facebook acquaintances, asking for surveillance footage and interviewing locals.

The bakery where the surveillance cameras are is on the West side of Telegraph, a half block away from and on the same side of the street as Erica's apartment. I believe the footage is of Erica walking north on Telegraph, past the front of the bakery.

And yes, the family and church have been organizing searches, but the police and media seem to be on standby.

It's a really hard time for everyone.

Have they used dogs to try to track her scent from the bakery? How about cell phone records and tracking?

Hi all,

The timeline is that she was last seen by Patrick early Wednesday evening. He then went out, and assumed she was asleep when he returned late in the evening. Patrick left the house around 6:45 A.M. on Thursday, assuming she was asleep, which she probably was.

Patrick began to grow alarmed when he couldn't reach her that day, and started calling friends and family members around 10 that evening - very worried at that point, especially given the planned flight to Dallas on Friday.

A full search effort was launched at dawn on Friday, with Patrick alerting Facebook acquaintances, asking for surveillance footage and interviewing locals.

The bakery where the surveillance cameras are is on the West side of Telegraph, a half block away from and on the same side of the street as Erica's apartment. I believe the footage is of Erica walking north on Telegraph, past the front of the bakery.

And yes, the family and church have been organizing searches, but the police and media seem to be on standby.

It's a really hard time for everyone.

Welcome to WS, sorry under such sad and scary circumstances. I hope some large, organized searches take place soon. It is difficult to imagine that she is willingly missing.

It's actually not impossible for me to imagine her willingly missing. I want not to, but the possibility is there.

She was missing her husband Josiah desperately - said she felt him near her all the time. I think the family also wonders a bit about this.

I do know that one of the first things that the police checked was Golden Gate bridge videos from Wednesday through Saturday. No matching jumpers.

Cell phone and ATM have not been traced, I don't believe, because a warrant is needed. As far as I know there have been no dog searches. Is it too late for that? Seems like a good idea.

According to Facebook friends, phone was ringing then going to voicemail until around 2:00 Thursday when it started going straight to voicemail.

(edited to correct voicemail assertion)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes