GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Erin is a beautiful young lady who seems sweet and caring. I hope and pray she is found safe soon, but I fear the worst.

This is an intriguing one. I think it is odd that neither Erin's mother nor husband apparently discouraged her from going wandering alone in a national park, because that does not strike me as safe in the first place.

Besides that, we know the following:
1. Erin spoke to her mother Friday
2. Erin left the house at 7am Saturday morning
3. There was supposedly a sighting at JTNP on Saturday morning sometime after 7 am, and that is apparently the basis for the search
4. Erin's car was found Monday

Provided that those are correct facts, there isn't anything to go on. Nothing for us to do but go round and round with speculation until more is released.

Logic and sleuthing experience dictates that the husband must be looked at first.
It is not in the husband's favor that he did not report her missing for so long. Many young guys are kind of overly laid back and slow to alarm, but that amount of time is pretty extreme.

The other possibilities are meeting up with the wrong stranger or foul play involving an acquaintance. Since we know nothing about anyone in the vicinity or Erin's friends and acquaintences, this is a black hole of information.

I wish we knew more about:
1. the Saturday morning sighting
2. Erin's friends and acquaintances on base. She has been there since last fall, she must have made at least one friend even if she was an introvert.

Frustrating.

ETA: They are probably soliciting donations so the family members can afford to stay in California as long as they need to.

This is an intriguing one. I think it is odd that neither Erin's mother nor husband apparently discouraged her from going wandering alone in a national park, because that does not strike me as safe in the first place.

Besides that, we know the following:
1. Erin spoke to her mother Friday
2. Erin left the house at 7am Saturday morning
3. There was supposedly a sighting at JTNP on Saturday morning sometime after 7 am, and that is apparently the basis for the search
4. Erin's car was found Monday

Provided that those are correct facts, there isn't anything to go on. Nothing for us to do but go round and round with speculation until more is released.

Logic and sleuthing experience dictates that the husband must be looked at first.
It is not in the husband's favor that he did not report her missing for so long. Many young guys are kind of overly laid back and slow to alarm, but that amount of time is pretty extreme.

The other possibilities are meeting up with the wrong stranger or foul play involving an acquaintance. Since we know nothing about anyone in the vicinity or Erin's friends and acquaintences, this is a black hole of information.

I wish we knew more about:
1. the Saturday morning sighting
2. Erin's friends and acquaintances on base. She has been there since last fall, she must have made at least one friend even if she was an introvert.

Frustrating.

ETA: They are probably soliciting donations so the family members can afford to stay in California as long as they need to.

Erin's Husband says Erin went to JTNP on Sat morning. Erin's Mother said Erin told her on Fri that Erin was planning to go to JTNP on Sat. We don't KNOW that she went there. We don't know if she was "taken" there, willingly or unwillingly. We don't KNOW anything, except that she has been missing for over 10 days. Not good, IMO.

Most Sincerely, MoeJoey

Interesting quote from the article, Corporal Randy Naquin, public affairs officer with the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department:

"If my wife didn't show up for dinner, I’d report her missing sooner but I don’t know what the family dynamic is between Erin and her husband," Naquin said. "I don't know if they were used to spending a lot of time apart. And I also don’t know if there were problems between Erin and her husband."

The SBPD public affairs officer said the husband is "cooperative." He also said (from the same link) "If my wife didn't show up for dinner, I’d report her missing sooner but I don’t know what the family dynamic is between Erin and her husband," Naquin said. "I don't know if they were used to spending a lot of time apart. And I also don’t know if there were problems between Erin and her husband."

He doesn't know a lot. If Erin is at risk of being another one of the far too many young women who are intentionally murdered and hidden, and who aren't found for years, if ever; should keeping the "family dynamic" confidential be a priority? I know the police and military said they're "not allowed" to talk. I know some police departments hide information in a blanket fashion, which I think creates needless speculation (which is inappropriately blamed on the "public.") The family does seem to be talking though, quite a bit. They're raising money, doing interviews, and asking the public for help. They're all talking, but they aren't saying much.

What if Erin associated with someone whose identity is being hidden, and providing the information publicly might signal a connection in the mind of someone else who crossed paths with or who knows the associate, leading to Erin's location (or at least producing a good lead)?

I hope LE is thoroughly searching abandoned homes and mines.
This case is bugging me so much!

This area does not seem to be very safe at all. 29 Palms "has a ratio of 25.17 offenders per 10,000 residents. This is higher than the national average of 14.00 offenders per 10,000 residents"

"There are currently 60 registered sex offenders living within the small town of 29 Palms"
http://usmclife.com/bases/29-palms-california/military-housing/

"According to our research of California and other state lists there were 55 registered sex offenders living in Twentynine Palms as of July 09, 2014"
http://www.city-data.com/so/so-Twentynine-Palms-California.html

"Twentynine Palms, CA Registered Sex Offenders - 64 found"
"Of the 64 offenders in Twentynine Palms, CA, 49 are viewable on the map, while 15 are not due to the offenders being transient or their address being unmappable"
http://www.homefacts.com/offenders/California/San-Bernardino-County/Twentynine-Palms.html

This might have been linked earlier. Erin's mother-in-law did an interview.

http://www.kesq.com/news/marines-mother-breaks-silence-on-search-for-daughterinlaw/26857092

Excerpt:
"He can't speak out, his command has asked him to be quiet.. He feels helpless because he can't help with the search," says Braden.

Now we know they "asked him to be quiet." I hope they're spending at least as much effort searching for Erin as they are defending her husband against the crime that might not have been committed.

They probably do not know what she was wearing and it may not be easy to tell what is missing, if it is something basic. No point in giving out a wild guess.

Wish we knew where the car was found, so we could find out if there are cameras nearby. But a local would probably know that, although criminals are famously careless about stuff like that, Imo.

Re: the clothes I agree, I'd rather have them say they don't know than try to guess at something that's probably wrong.

I do wish we knew where the car was found. I don't know how common it is there but I know home surveillance cameras in general are getting more common and criminals may not notice them. Our local sheriff started a thing where you can register your home camera in case any crimes or portions of crimes happen to be captured. You basically give your address and permission to contact you if they think something happened nearby. I wonder if there's anything like this in Erin's area?

Good question...

I just pulled out one of our entrance payment receipts from another National Park (Canyonlands)...they are all pretty standard...

There is, indeed, a time stamp on it...

However... I googled Joshua Tree National Park for entrance hours... They do not open until 9:00 a.m. each day of the week...

Only the visitor centers open at specific times.

Joshua National Park itself is open 24/7

The park is always open and may be visited anytime of year. Visitation increases as temperatures moderate in the fall, peaks during spring wildflower season, and diminishes during the heat of summer.

http://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/hours.htm

And as far as times for the visitor centers, only one doesn't open until 9. The others 8 or 8:30.
Cottonwood Visitor Center
Open All Year; 9 am to 4 pm daily

Black Rock Nature Center
Open October through May
8 am to 4 pm except on Friday; Noon to 8 pm on Friday

Oasis Visitor Center
Open All Year; 8:30 am to 5 pm

Joshua Tree Visitor Center
Open All Year; 8 am to 5 pm

In today's age, so many young adults are glued to their phone (and older people are too). I can't wrap my mind around no phone call, but it is even more difficult to imagine no texting at all between Erin and others. Or for her to have taken a pic of the park and sent it to her husband or to a friend.

And did she stay all night at this so called ranch (or wherever) before? Did she pack a bag and take her phone charger and her toothbrush, etc.?

Cell reception is not great out there in general, but JT is notoriously poor. So much so that they specifically state that and to not depend on it in an emergency

Cell phone coverage is spotty in the park; do not depend on your cell phone in an emergency. An emergency-only phone is located at Intersection Rock parking area, next to Hidden Valley Campground. A second emergency-only phone is attached to the ranger station at Indian Cove.

It's so bad that even LE can't get reception there (as well as other places around JTNP) - this is from when the first deputy was going to go to JTNP to start looking for her.

“Okay, well, we have a myriad of park rangers and search & rescue volunteers for the national park that can go do what you're attempting to do; so come on back out of there and as soon as you get cell service give me a call,” the unidentified sergeant instructs the deputy.

That's why I have a family member who has a special device called a SPOT tracker b/c it can be used to hit in case of emergency (and will contact LE and/or your emergency contact) but it also does updates about every 10 minutes of the location of it.

It's great b/c someone can be literally watching almost your every move if someone's into more extreme type of activities, in an area they either won't have/can't have/whatever good or consistent reception. Plus it's accurate at a much greater level location wise than from a cell provider.

Plus, in some cases you'd have to wait for those records and that could be a matter of life and death. Especially if you're in the heat (or cold) and somewhere that could have a lot of drop offs or even just a lot of aerial coverage from vegetation.

My family member always uses it when hiking out there, including Joshua Tree when he's typically rock climbing b/c you just truly can't rely on being able to call. This Spot device is amazing for things like that. And it worked incredibly while hiking the Pacific Crest Trail (from Mexico to Canada). There were only two times it struggling to pick up reception enough to do the 10 minute location updates, and even then it was only under 30 minutes of no new positioning .

On the Facebook page,someone with initials AM stated on the Military base they will not take a missing person report for an adult before 24 hours ..

Even if that's the case, I truly can't imagine then trying to call LE if a loved one was missing.

Even if they assumed the 24 hours might be true off base, I still can't imagine not trying it, since the only thing that might happen is they also said that (but obviously it's a moot point since there is no 24 hour timeframe here - in fact, I've often heard missing person calls on the scanner for adults not even missing an hour and they'll have the copter up not long after that, along with units on the ground)

And I really can't imagine not trying that if the person hadn't even gone missing FROM base itself.

I wonder about surveillance cameras. IMO, they have something to indicate Erin actually went to JTNP. Did she accidentally stumble onto something someone didn't want her to see? I can't imagine why LE would be searching that park if they don't know she actually made it there.

There ARE cameras at Joshua Tree.

And there are several webcams

And there ARE surveillance cameras at the entrances.

In fact, they were used in a case over 10 years ago so they're not even a newer thing there (note the reference to a camera also at the campground they were at themselves.
Eric and Ben, both 17, were recorded on a surveillance camera entering Joshua Tree National Park on July 14 and setting up camp at Jumbo Rocks campground

http://www.utsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040803/news_1m3eric.html

And it's actually MULTIPLE cameras at the entrances:

Entrances to the park are equipped with multiple surveillance cameras. Reached by telephone Tuesday, a Joshua Tree chief ranger declined to comment on whether Corwin had been spotted entering or exiting the park on surveillance.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/25971456/timeline-emerges-in-marine-wifes-mysterious-disappearance

[You all may find reading about that other case interesting as JTNP was also the search focus. But unlike this case, they DID have volunteer search teams out.]

If you lived in the area you would find it's really not that weird to go to the park alone. It's less then ten miles from base, almost impossible to get lost going and if you're just pulling into the marked sites on the park it's really not sketchy at all. You see lots of people that are alone or with just their dog. It might be a little weird to go on a trail alone but just driving around the park is not really any different then driving down a road.

The weather is much better at seven in the morning.

Regardless of personality traits lots of military wives are used to doing stuff alone.

A lot of people in 29 look at going to the park the same most would going to their neighborhood park..

I don't disagree if the husband was home why wouldn't he want to go too but I don't think enough is known to really speculate on his actions.

So, everybody is saying how innocent, no sense of direction, interverted, and shy she is. (my words, not direct quotes).
They paint a picture of a young, naive girl. A sweet naive girl.
Possibly naive in the way that she might be an easy target- it seems to me she's not a street wise, hurricane wind of a girl.

Anybody else think it's possible she befriended somebody online, a somebody who is a little rough around the edges?
Maybe she was part of a horse rescue listserve, or a support group for young military wives, or a photography forum.

Catfished?
Maybe the baby is not her husbands, Could her hormones be going wacky?
Could she not be taking medication that she was prescribed because she was pregnant?

Does she not have a best girl friend from home? Youth Group? Equestrian Friends? Camera Shop guy?
We really know nothing about her

I am not understanding exactly what she was supposed to be doing that day? According to this new timeline that was released (link below) her husband stated she left at 7am to scout locations in JT and was expected back home at 4pm on that Saturday. Was she supposed to be scouting locations in JT for 9 hours? Also, there is a "no comment" about whether or not she was spotted on any of the numerous cameras in JT however, according to the San Bernardino Sheriffs Dept. spokesperson in the Greta interview today they are finding it hard to determine if she made it to the park (??) So maybe her car is caught on tape but not her specifically? Or no one is giving accurate information to the public? Frustrating. Hope she is found today.

http://www.cbs8.com/story/25971456/timeline-emerges-in-marine-wifes-mysterious-disappearance

Does anyone know if Erin and her husband are a two-car family?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
solaria