GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
What law enforcement or the military does about Jon at this point is not material to the search for her. Since they have insufficient reason to do the things you suggest unless they find her body it's a catch 22. Moreover, the fact they are not allowing him to publicly plead for her safe return would indicate that they have not in-fact cleared him of any wrong-doing. [modsnip]

That is not why he is told to remain silent and not talk to the media. Military are never supposed to talk to media unless given a vetted statement. Even for things the person has no involvement in, they do not want any opinions or statements given because the media will spin anything that they can.

I wouldn't be FB friends if I was having a secret affair. Those 2 Marines are probably in the clear, imo.

see, I'm kind of split. Part of me thinks if she was super shy, any affair would be with someone she has known, or that they both are friendly with. I mean, how many times to people have affairs with the best friend of the spouse? The other part thinks she wouldn't be friends or leave any trail of it

I was looking through to see what the least traveled road would be to get back up to Valle Vista and I found one that was very small and followed it but couldn't find the name of the road so switched back to street view and it's Gold Crown Road.

I remember someone talking about Crown Rd or something but when I put it in "Search Thread" it comes back with nothing. I can't find where you guys were talking about this.

she is only friends with 5 people overall on facebook from twentynine palms... guess she was really reserved

Im interested in the family dynamics.

Bio brother? What do I remember reading about him? That he lived in California and they recently started talking?
She was born while her mother was incarcerated?

There was some earlier discussion on FBI involvment in this case. It jogged by memory about serial killer Gary Michael Hilton. He was charged of federal crime and sentenced to life for killing John and Irene Bryant. Both victims were hikers and killed in NC National Forest. Death penalty was on the table until plea agreement was reached. I seem to recall that LE at the time indicated it would be easier to get death penalty conviction in federal court but I may be wrong. In any case he buckled pretty quickly when given opportunity for plea deal. He is now on death row in Florida for the murder of a nurse. http://www.maconnews.com/news/4834-gary-michael-hilton-gets-four-life-sentences

That is not why he is told to remain silent and not talk to the media. Military are never supposed to talk to media unless given a vetted statement. Even for things the person has no involvement in, they do not want any opinions or statements given because the media will spin anything that they can.

Ah but you're not thinking about the equation:

SCENARIO #1: He's INNOCENT :

A He says something -> the media might spin it.
B He says nothing -> the media will spin his silence

SCENARIO #2. He's GUILTY :

A He says Nothing -> the media will spin his silence
B He says Something -> Bingo, The media doesn't have to spin it!!

The only time it's more advantageous for him to say nothing than something is if he's guilty.

Ah but you're not thinking about the equation:

SCENARIO #1: He's INNOCENT :

A He says something -> the media might spin it.
B He says nothing -> the media will spin his silence

SCENARIO #2. He's GUILTY :

A He says Nothing -> the media will spin his silence
B He says Something -> Bingo, The media doesn't have to spin it!!

The only time it's more advantageous for him to say nothing than something is if he's guilty.

No, I am thinking about military policy. It's pretty cut and dry. If you are a military or government official, especially of lower rank, you don't speak to media.

Erin is/was legally an adult. Soldiers dying for their country at that same age although numerically teenagers, would certainly consider themselves men in every sense of the word - as would I. My own mother had me by that age and was managing her own household. Erin could have been enjoying her youth "unencumbered" as you say, but saying she should have been is going a bit far. In researching my family tree, 19 year olds were often well-established in their households, with multiple children. I find it puzzling that, today, people are so quick to consider a 19 year old as more or less a child.

Don't get me wrong. I certainly hope she is found and, if her death was not accidental, I fervently hope the killer is brought to justice. I just think we should pay Erin the respect of considering her as the adult she was.
I understand where you are coming from, and agree with your statements of women in the past, but to be fair, it is a different time and place, so to speak. One major difference is we now know the brain is not finished growing until the ages of 24-26 and the main part of the brain not finished being the frontal lobe- where decision making and reasoning processes take place. Back when and for years we thought the brain was finished by 12. With this new, very important information, the mid 20's and the behavior of many people that age begins to make more sense.

Just thought I would add some information to the discussion with a more updated version of youth, necessity, maturity and cognitive functioning.

Is it possible, or known, whether her husband had been away at the crucial time and had already determined he could not be the father? And she was hoping to get a commitment from the BF before speaking to her mother?

Or perhaps she was going to terminate and others found out. Hard to know. Making my way thru pages of comments so apologies if previously discussed.

Mod-apologies if I can not post this but in looking thru her fb and her hubby's there is a discussion on his around the time they were married. Erin and another person are going back and forth on hubby's comment. Other person is in his unit and was deployed. Is getting out early due to some issues. Only time I have seen her comment in the manner she did. :(.

Im interested in the family dynamics.

Bio brother? What do I remember reading about him? That he lived in California and they recently started talking?
She was born while her mother was incarcerated?

I don't have a lot of details. She has a few bio brothers. All live in TN, I believe. All of them with different last names.

The military ought to be re-thought altogether, if people are not considered mature until 24-25, Imo. The idea of unformed brains in uniform with guns and bombs is not comforting.

Or perhaps she was going to terminate and others found out. Hard to know. Making my way thru pages of comments so apologies if previously discussed.

Mod-apologies if I can not post this but in looking thru her fb and her hubby's there is a discussion on his around the time they were married. Erin and another person are going back and forth on hubby's comment. Other person is in his unit and was deployed. Is getting out early due to some issues. Only time I have seen her comment in the manner she did. :(.

I can't find what you are talking about, for some reason. nov 2012?

[modsnip] I'v been listening to the morongo basin feed and it sounds like they've established a stationary post of sorts.[modsnip]

Sorry. Under engagement pict. July 4 2012. Follow link to him and you can figure out his personality.

Found it. thanks! I remember looking at his profile before because it was one of only a few she knew from the 29 area.

I believe the "aunt" posting on FB is actually a great aunt so maybe they feel like they can't tell her what to do. I'll try to find the post from the aunt that stated her relationship.

I'm not sure if I can copy and paste from FB (or if that is against TOS here) so I'll just give the first words... In a post from yesterday that started with "Friends, we continue to welcome prayers...", the aunt stated that the husband's mom is her niece.

In my family, it would be even harder for me to say something to my mom's sister (my aunt) than my sister because I feel like it would be disrespectful. JMO.

Mods, my apologies if the above was against TOS.

Maybe it is due to deletions, but I basically see little more than prayers on the FB page...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squidsquidsquid