CA, Expedito Cuesta De Leon, 50, gunned down on his UPS route, May 16, 2024, Orange County, CA

Seattle1

Reaction score

5/21/2024

The 46-year-old man accused of gunning down an on-duty UPS driver in Irvine was charged Monday with murder.

Rhean Jalipa Fontanoza, also a UPS employee, is accused of killing Expedito Cuesta De Leon, 50, while De Leon was sitting in his work truck. The Orange County District Attorney said Fontanoza shot his childhood friend 14 times in 19 seconds.

If convicted as charged, Fontanoza will be eligible for the death penalty. He is being held without bail.

On May 16, police found De Leon slumped over in the driver's seat of his UPS truck at Chrysler and Fleming, according to the Irvine Police Department. Prosecutors said he still had his scanner in his hand and his seatbelt buckled.

"Mr. De Leon was just going about his day, doing his job with no idea his longtime friend was stalking him with every intent to kill him," Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer said. "The depravity involved to plot and carry out a plan to execute someone you shared a lifetime of memories is not something anyone of us can wrap our heads around."

5/21/24

New details released Tuesday on the deadly ambush attack of a UPS driver in Orange County revealed he was allegedly stalked and killed by a childhood friend.

The shooting happened on May 16 as the victim, Expedito Cuesta De Leon, 50, from Aliso Viejo, was sitting in his delivery van after dropping off a package at around 3 p.m.

Suddenly, a masked gunman pulled up to De Leon’s van and shot him 14 times in a matter of 19 seconds, according to the Orange County District Attorney’s Office.

Irvine police responded to the area near Chrysler and Bendix Streets in Irvine where De Leon was found with multiple gunshot wounds inside his delivery van. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The suspect, Rhean Jalipa Fontanoza, 46, sped away from the area. He was located about an hour later and arrested after a standoff with a SWAT team.

5/21/24

1716363728740.png
Expedito De Leon

IRVINE, Calif. - Gruesome new details were revealed Tuesday in the fatal shooting of a UPS driver in Southern California, in what authorities called a "targeted attack."

Rhean Jalipa Fontanoza, 46, was charged with murder with a special circumstances allegation of shooting from a vehicle and murder by lying in wait. He was also facing a sentencing enhancement for shooting a gun causing death.

According to the District Attorney's office, Fontanoza, a UPS employee who was on work disability, allegedly tracked down the delivery route of his childhood friend and coworker, 50-year-old Expedito De Leon, and shot him 14 times in a matter of seconds as he sat buckled into his delivery truck last Thursday.

Authorities are still working to uncover the motive for what led to the execution of a longtime friend.

5/21/24

[..]

The shooting occurred around 3 p.m. Thursday at an industrial park near the intersection of Chrysler and Bendix.

According to the Orange County District Attorney's Office, Fontanoza allegedly stopped another UPS driver earlier that day and asked about De Leon's route.

When the driver told him De Leon had another route, Fontanoza allegedly went to the UPS Aliso Viejo substation and accessed a computer that shows drivers' routes and took a picture of it with his phone.

Fontanoza had been on disability leave but was scheduled to return to work on June 1, the DA's office said.

Just before 3 p.m., Fontanoza tracked down De Leon in a new vehicle that the victim wouldn't recognize, authorities said.

"De Leon then left his truck to make a delivery and returned to his truck, and buckled his seatbelt," said the DA's office in a statement. "He still had his UPS scanner in his hand and his seatbelt buckled when Fontanoza drove next to De Leon's delivery truck and shot him 14 times in 19 seconds."

According to authorities, surveillance video captured Fontanoza in a pickup truck pulling up alongside the UPS truck then fleeing the scene on Goodyear toward Jeronimo. The truck was described as a silver Honda Ridgeline four-door with a black truck bed liner and black rims.

De Leon was pronounced dead after being found in the driver's seat of the UPS truck.

5/16/24
[..]

According to Irvine police, the driver was on his lunch break, sitting in the vehicle, when the suspect pulled up in a truck and opened fire. The UPS driver died at the scene; the suspect fled in a silver pickup truck.

Just before 4 p.m., the Orange County Sheriff’s Department spotted the suspect's car, a Honda Ridgeline 4-door truck, on Santiago Canyon Road.

SWAT was called to the scene as the suspect was barricaded inside the truck.

After deploying a chemical agent and a police dog, the suspect was taken into custody.

He was identified as Rhean Fontanoza, 46, of Aliso Viejo.

05/17/2024

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Karie Davies, Sergeant/PIO
949-724-7112
IPDPIO@cityofirvine.org

Irvine Police Arrest Aliso Viejo Man for Murder of UPS Driver​

Rhean%20Fontanoza.png

IRVINE, Calif. (May 17, 2024) – The Irvine Police Department (IPD) arrested 46-year-old Rhean Fontanoza, of Aliso Viejo, for the murder of a UPS driver.

Yesterday, at about 3:00 p.m., IPD responded to the area of Fleming and Chrysler after multiple reports of gunshots being heard. Officers arrived on scene and located a UPS driver slumped over in the driver’s seat of his delivery truck. Officers pulled him from the vehicle and began life saving measures. The driver suffered multiple gunshot wounds and died from his injuries. He was identified as Expedito Cuesta De Leon, 50, of Aliso Viejo.

Surveillance footage captured the suspect vehicle pulling alongside the UPS truck then fleeing the scene on Goodyear towards Jeronimo. The vehicle was a silver Honda Ridgeline 4-door truck with a black truck bed liner and black rims. The driver and solo occupant was described as a white male wearing dark clothing, a dark colored baseball cap and a face mask. A countywide broadcast was given, and the Orange County Sheriff’s Department located a vehicle matching the description of the suspect vehicle on Santiago Canyon Road shortly before 4:00 p.m. IPD officers responded to the scene and confirmed it was the suspect vehicle. The IPD Special Weapons and Tactics Team (SWAT) arrived at the scene, and Fontanoza was eventually taken into custody for homicide.

Although the motive is still unknown, it appears Fontanoza and De Leon were acquaintances.

Anyone who may have witnessed this incident or who has information related to this investigation is asked to contact Detective Craig Voors at 949-724-7131 or email cvoors@cityofirvine.org(link sends e-mail).

###

5/22/24

The neighborhood was De Leon’s regular route, said several people who got to know him over the years who came out to talk with one another or to leave flowers at the memorial.

To them, De Leon was a big, colorful personality lighting up what otherwise would be just another day surrounded by drab office buildings.

“He’d make noises,” said Jonathan Lagman, who saw De Leon all the time. “Like bird calls, just to announce his presence.”

Lagman said he also lives in Aliso Viejo, and he would occasionally see De Leon out on hiking trails.

One day, De Leon spotted him hiking, and called out to him, inviting him to go grab a beer and watch a football game on the spot.

“I don’t even really know this guy,” Lagman said. “He was just that friendly. I can’t even imagine having another UPS guy.”

John Llanes, 40, was in a mountain biking group with De Leon. He works near the shooting scene and stopped there Friday after learning his friend was the person killed.

The day before, Llanes was at work and heard police helicopters circling the area. “I didn’t know what was going on over here. I didn’t know it involved somebody I knew,” he said.

Llanes said De Leon was a family man — he was married with two children. De Leon had just recently posted on social media about a family trip they took to Europe.

Llanes said De Leon was expecting a grandchild on the way soon. De Leon had also posted recently about having worked for UPS for 27 years.

“He’s a good man,” Llanes said. “I can’t imagine why this would happen to him.”

• Previous
    • A UPS shirt, cap and flowers left on Friday, May...

Next

1 of 3

A UPS shirt, cap and flowers left on Friday, May 17, 2024, at the site in Orange where 50-year-old Expedito Cuesta De Leon, was shot around 3 p.m. Thursday in an industrial area near Chrysler and Fleming. (Photo by Josh Cain, Los Angeles Daily News/SCNG)

Jacqueline Brown, 54, worked with De Leon at UPS for decades before she retired a few years ago. Both drivers; they parked their trucks next to each other every day at the Aliso Viejo UPS hub where they worked.

Brown said she and De Leon would count down the days until they could retire. She said De Leon would talk all the time about moving to the Philippines where he could build a big house and live “like a king” off his pension.

“He would tell me, ‘You should come, too!’” Brown said. “I’d tell him, ‘I don’t speak the language, you have to help me.’”

Brown looked forward to her interactions with De Leon, a pick-me-up in a workday where she’d otherwise rarely see her coworkers.

“I’m shocked, I’m just so shocked,” Brown said. “This is just senseless.”

As she spoke, a man in a pickup truck pulled up alongside her.

“You guys knew him real well, right?” he asked.

“I worked over there,” he said, pointing. “I knew him, too. Really nice guy.”

Fontanoza was taken to a hospital after he was apprehended, Davies said. He was not being treated because of the tear gas, but was admitted “for medical issues that have nothing to do with the arrest,” she said.

A pair of Irvine SWAT vehicles pinned the silver pickup on Santiago Canyon Road in Orange just after 4 p.m. Thursday, while officers on foot surrounded the truck from a hillside above.

The authorities found the suspect with the help of witness statements and surveillance footage from at least one business.

Around 6:15 p.m., police shot tear gas into the cabin and used a K-9 to help detain the suspect.

Police said Fontanoza is married, apparently without children. Property records indicated he has lived in Aliso Viejo since around 2007.

I've never met a UPS driver that did not become a friend! So sorry for his customers, co-workers, family and friends. #RIP Expedito. :(

5/22/24

"Mr. De Leon was just going about his day, doing his job with no idea his longtime friend was stalking him with every intent to kill him," said Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer. "The depravity involved to plot and carry out a plan to execute someone you shared a lifetime of memories is not something anyone of us can wrap our heads around. No life should have to end like this and it is a tragedy that should have never happened."

Fontanoza is currently being held on no bail.

If convicted as charged, Fontanoza is eligible for the death penalty. However, Governor Gavin Newsom imposed a moratorium on executions in 2019.

IRVINE, Calif. (KABC) -- A public viewing will be held next week to honor the life of a UPS driver who was shot to death while he was sitting in his delivery truck in Irvine.

Expedito Cuesta De Leon was killed on May 16 while he was working. His longtime friend and co-worker Rhean Jalipa Fontanoza has since been charged in connection with the murder.

[..]

De Leon's colleagues from UPS created the fundraiser, saying all the money raised will go to his family.

"I had the privilege of working alongside "X" DeLeon at UPS for many years," read the fundraiser's description. "His infectious smile and unwavering positivity touched countless lives."

Shooting investigation continues​

On Tuesday, Fontanoza, 46, was charged with murder with a special circumstances allegation of a drive-by shooting and murder by lying in wait. Fontanoza was also facing a sentencing enhancement for shooting a gun causing death.

According to investigators, Fontanoza was stalking De Leon the day of the shooting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back