CA CA - Georgette Bauerdorf, 20, West Hollywood, 12 Oct 1944

Georgette Bauerdorf was killed in 1944, while Elizabeth Short was still living back east. Short never worked at the Hollywood Canteen, which closed in 1945. She arrived in Long Beach, California in July, 1946, later moving to Hollywood, Los Angeles and San Diego.

Short traveled from Massachusetts to northern California in December, 1942, went to Los Angeles with her father for a few weeks and then left for Camp Cooke, near Santa Barbara in January, 1943. She left northern California in October, 1943 for Massachusetts and then Florida. She did not return to California until July, 1946, over a year and a half after Bauerdorf was murdered. Author John Gilmore started the lie about Bauerdorf and Short knowing each other.

To be honest with the whole inviting service men to stay the night doesn't sound particularly out of line to me. My grandma had told me that multiple times her parents would let service men stay the night because some of them had no place to stay and or some of them were buddies with her older brothers who were in the military. She even told me that some of them had for a long time sent letters to her parents and had stayed in contact with them, and that a couple of them sent letters to her to especially after they found out her brothers had died in the war. In like a way to try to cheer up a little girl. I'm sure that many people had done the same at this time in order to show respect to their soldiers. So it's probably not far off that she had let them stay at her house, because of those reasons. Honestly though she probably should had taken better precautions about it being that she lived on her own.

There is a difference between a married older couple having servicemen stay and a lone, young woman.

Georgette_Bauerdorf_zpsck1rmbbz.jpg

91Pr8I5uRrL._SL1500__zpsa8xsuyn8.jpg

6ec033b2d566b578f3dd23c92522ef57_zps6m5l7fym.jpg

georgette1_zps1v4z05s4.jpg

8f3dc3bf2fcbd6a7c9c70d79c97f6334_zpsi0twuec6.jpg

Has anyone looked into George Hodel being a suspect?
I believe her name does crop up a few times in "Black Dahlia Avenger". I can't remember if there was any specific evidence pointing to Hodel though, beyond the general M/O and her physical resemblence to the other victims potentially linked with him.

Larry Harnisch (well worth googling his research on the case) has debunked the rumor that Georgette knew Elizabeth Short, as Georgette was killed in 1944 and Short didn't even arrive in Los Angeles until 1946.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back