CA CA - Hannah, 16, Devonte, 15, & Sierra Hart, 12, Mendocino County, 26 Mar 2018 #4

DNA analysis came back inconclusive on skeletal remains discovered in May near where a family of eight plunged off a California cliff, leaving two children still unaccounted for months after they're believed to have died.
The Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office announced the inconclusive results on Tuesday, months after the remains were sent to a DNA laboratory for testing and analysis, KOIN reported. Investigators are now hoping blood relatives will come forward to positively identify the remains. The Hart children were all adopted.

Remains found near where Hart family SUV plunged off California cliff are inconclusive, cops say

I am confused about that part. I don't know much about DNA, but wouldn't a half sibling be a partial match?
Well that’s what I thought too, but surely they didn’t forget to keep dna from the kids when three were still missing at the time? And why aren’t the reporters asking these questions? Sigh.

Well that’s what I thought too, but surely they didn’t forget to keep dna from the kids when three were still missing at the time? And why aren’t the reporters asking these questions? Sigh.
I really wish we knew the answers to your questions. Maybe there will be a more detailed update later on. One can only hope...

So does this mean that they didn’t keep dna from her two biological siblings? Or that maybe they were half siblings?

This whole thing is just maddening.

I think 'inconclusive' generally means the samples aren't of a high enough quality to give a definitive answer. But there are different levels of inconclusivity imho, they can still rule out a match or they can leave the option of a match open. I think it would make it harder to make a conclusive match without the parental DNA being on file, but I don't think it would be impossible to have a strong probability as long as the samples are good enough.

This article explains the inconclusive part:

Skeletal remains found near Hart crash site inconclusive

Mendocino County Sheriff's Office Lt. Shannon Barney explained that the DNA samples taken from the remains found in May were consistent with other siblings whose bodies were recovered, but not to the extent that the relationship could be definitively determined.

"It basically is inconclusive," Barney said. "Not going to commit one way or another -- not going to rule out the kids are siblings."

BBM

So, these remains are related to some of the siblings, just the exact relationship cannot be pin-pointed. The fact that the Sherriff's Office makes an appeal to blood relatives of the children to come forward further reinforces that the remains are those of Hannah, as Devonte's biological mother has appeared in the media, so I guess she can easily be located.

Lt. Barney insisted that authorities are not presuming that all six children were in the car when Jennifer Hart is believed to have intentionally driven the vehicle over a cliff in Northern California. “Make no assumption that we have conclusively ruled that all the children were in the car. I’m not sure where this may have come from but it is entirely inaccurate,” he said in an email.

“Most of the persons we spoke to told us they did not think [Jennifer and Sarah Hart] would have left [the children] in Washington. However, we do not know where the two remaining children are so we cannot rule out the possibility they could be in a different location, either deceased or alive.”
“We will follow up any leads that seem plausible in our missing persons investigation,” Lt. Barney said.

In April, an FBI spokesperson told CrimeOnline that federal investigators were involved in an active investigation, but declined to provide any specifics about the search.

Lt. Barney also confirmed to CrimeOnline that the Mendocino County Coroner did obtain DNA samples from the remains of the Hart children who were found deceased after the crash. But the forensic lab working to identify the remains found in May said “they are not comfortable with the samples we have for positive identification,” according to the sheriff’s spokesperson.
Read more: New information about remains found near site of Hart family murder-suicide; sheriff’s spokesperson says they are not presuming missing Devonte Hart and Hannah Hart were in SUV at time of fatal crash [EXCLUSIVE]

initially it was stated in the media IIRC, that LE were assuming all 6 were in the car......glad to know it wasn't assumed, even though it seems now that 5 were in the car or atleast with the family, however they ended up over the cliff...….Still so curious about Devonte, whatever happened in the end, it happened with him I think, not sure he got away either but fear what might've really happened to him

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back