Deceased/Not Found Ca - Hannah,16 (fnd dec), Devonte,15, (dec nf) Ciera Hart,12 (fnd dec),mendocino Cty,26 Mar 2018 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
That part angers me immensely.
"No other option" than to kill your kids (and possibly your spouse) ?

Oh no, no one has the right to do that, no matter how desperate.

And, "Great mothers" - no they weren´t!

Ms
Bakhtiar
needs a reality check, I think.

SATA, you are right and I think this is a good example of ‘Kool-aid’ drinking friends. Selective open or close minded.

I wondered of those friends who were saying the same in agreement would feel impassioned enough to stand by their beliefs in the way of a financial contribution. Its a sure way to put your money where your mouth is. Even in the most smallest of amounts they could all pool together for some type of marker.

Ive seen interviews, and self boasting but nothing serious in regards to personal cost yet. Whether in time, talents, or funds. If there has been I have missed it.

Poppyflower, I have a question for a vegan. Maybe you can answer? Would it be usual for vegans to raise chickens or keep pets? I can’t imagine the Harts would use the eggs or meat (if they were vegan), but do you think they might sell the eggs for income? Would that be consistent with vegan philosophy? And what’s the general guideline for having pets? Thanks in advance for any insight you might want to share. And I totally understand if you want to pass on answering. Xoxo

Not poppyflower but maybe I can help?

Veganism is a spectrum. There are those who go out of their way to not have anything to do with “using” an animal. They wouldn’t go to a circus, have a service dog or pet, choose certain vehicles and clothing, catch and release bugs, whatever. If they had a leather couch when they became vegan, they’d get rid of it. They preach it to everyone, some are very militant. But others simply don’t eat most animal products. They might not worry about their white sugar or “natural flavors” being 100% vegan though they’d not use cow’s milk or honey.

As for animals? It’d be more likely a vegan’s chickens and goats were rescues. I’d be surprised if they used it for income.

But again, it’s a spectrum. There are those doing it for health reasons, others for ethical or environmental reasons. Some do it for lots of reasons or just one. Some just eat in ways they want for their own reasons and others preach endlessly. Some have even been violent (which really makes no sense to me).

Hths:)

Poppyflower, I have a question for a vegan. Maybe you can answer? Would it be usual for vegans to raise chickens or keep pets? I can’t imagine the Harts would use the eggs or meat (if they were vegan), but do you think they might sell the eggs for income? Would that be consistent with vegan philosophy? And what’s the general guideline for having pets? Thanks in advance for any insight you might want to share. And I totally understand if you want to pass on answering. Xoxo

Hi :) I can only answer for myself, really. It depends on their philosophies. Maybe they eat dairy free with only their own chicken eggs- so that wouldn't be "true vegan" but close (vegan- a person who does not eat or use animal products.) They could have felt like since they knew the chickens had a good life they were ok with eating the eggs- that is only speculation tho. You would need to have quite a few chickens to have enough to feed your family and/or sell eggs to make a profit. Good feed for chickens can cost you and you would need to have a lot of chickens to off set that cost- yk? I don't know how many chickens they have but from what I read it didn't seem like they had a lot.

As far as pets are concerned, I see where you're coming from. Personally, I love having my rescue cats :) I would think that rescuing animals would be something most would be comfortable with, but again, it is hard for me to speak for all vegans bc even within that group there are people on a spectrum.

Clear as mud? lol I hope that helps.

Not poppyflower but maybe I can help?

Veganism is a spectrum. There are those who go out of their way to not have anything to do with “using” an animal. They wouldn’t go to a circus, have a service dog or pet, choose certain vehicles and clothing, catch and release bugs, whatever. If they had a leather couch when they became vegan, they’d get rid of it. They preach it to everyone, some are very militant. But others simply don’t eat most animal products. They might not worry about their white sugar or “natural flavors” being 100% vegan though they’d not use cow’s milk or honey.

As for animals? It’d be more likely a vegan’s chickens and goats were rescues. I’d be surprised if they used it for income.

But again, it’s a spectrum. There are those doing it for health reasons, others for ethical or environmental reasons. Some do it for lots of reasons or just one. Some just eat in ways they want for their own reasons and others preach endlessly. Some have even been violent (which really makes no sense to me).

Hths:)

LOL - great minds think alike :)

Also, I've never been met with more dislike on a superficial level as I have since going vegan. I find it fascinating. I get gently teased about it a lot from friends. I make a habit of NOT bringing it up unless someone asks or it comes up in conversation. If someone offers me something and I say, "no thanks, I'm vegan" I often get some negative comment back. Usually it is met with defense of their own eating habits and "you probably don't get enough protein and vitamins" to which I say, "I'm not trying to gain weight and/or muscle so I don't need a lot of protein". I guess you could say they "preach" to me about all the reasons they can't be or shouldn't be vegan.

PS. I've never met a violent vegan lol (not to say there aren't some out there)

In fairness (and why I feel compelled to try to be fair to these 2 posers I really don't know) this would have been their first full gardening season in that house, had they lived to plant, tend and harvest through it. They were busy moving last spring/summer, and likely wouldn't have gotten much if any work done on a new garden aside from digging and raising the beds. The naked beds we see were probably the product of last fall or winter, if not just a few weeks ago, and may or may not reflect food-growing habits they had established in earlier gardens. I'd like to know what the neighbors in MN and OR observed in that regard.

When I kept a garden, our 20'x30' suburban-backyard plot supplied a wide variety of our vegetable needs for the year. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, cucumbers and lettuce of course, but also peas, green beans, brussels sprouts, chard, carrots, summer and winter squash (which of course tumbled well outside the established plot), beets, turnips, garlic, ground cherries, a few other experiments, and a separate asparagus bed and a raspberry thicket. That was only for a family of 3, not 8, but I found it valuable to give our suburban kid a sense of where his food came from, and how anyone with access to a dedicated space could produce some of their own food instead of relying on supermarkets and long distance shipping for everything they ate.

I've given up on gardening here, between rabbits, deer, raccoons, chipmunks, beetles and other critters. And seasons with either too much rain or too little.

That part angers me immensely.
"No other option" than to kill your kids (and possibly your spouse) ?

Oh no, no one has the right to do that, no matter how desperate.

And, "Great mothers" - no they weren´t!

Ms
Bakhtiar
needs a reality check, I think.

If I were LE, I'd investigate Bakhtiar based on that statement by itself.

IMO

I've given up on gardening here, between rabbits, deer, raccoons, chipmunks, beetles and other critters. And seasons with either too much rain or too little.

OT: The property we now have is too shaded for a productive garden, and we like the trees. I'm also 15 years older than I was in my food-growing prime. And being diagnosed as highly allergic to every sort of pollen in the region dampened my enthusiasm for long hours outdoors digging in the dirt, at face level with all of nature's eye-streaming bounty. :)

In fairness (and why I feel compelled to try to be fair to these 2 posers I really don't know) this would have been their first full gardening season in that house, had they lived to plant, tend and harvest through it. They were busy moving last spring/summer, and likely wouldn't have gotten much if any work done on a new garden aside from digging and raising the beds. The naked beds we see were probably the product of last fall or winter, if not just a few weeks ago, and may or may not reflect food-growing habits they had established in earlier gardens. I'd like to know what the neighbors in MN and OR observed in that regard.

When I kept a garden, our 20'x30' suburban-backyard plot supplied a wide variety of our vegetable needs for the year. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, cucumbers and lettuce of course, but also peas, green beans, brussels sprouts, chard, carrots, summer and winter squash (which of course tumbled well outside the established plot), beets, turnips, garlic, ground cherries, a few other experiments, and a separate asparagus bed and a raspberry thicket. That was only for a family of 3, not 8, but I found it valuable to give our suburban kid a sense of where his food came from, and how anyone with access to a dedicated space could produce some of their own food instead of relying on supermarkets and long distance shipping for everything they ate.

Janewall, good post!

I know that this was their first full season in the Woodland house, but my hunch that the "growing their own food" thing was mainly virtue-signaling, and that the raised beds were part of that rather than the real thing, is based on many factors, one of which is that what they have plotted out in the photo looks very much like a typical suburban "tomato garden", or a garden that supplements dinner during the growing season. Nothing that would remotely sustain a family of 8 or even significantly compose part of such, and certainly not year round.

It's really the combination of things, such as a lack of "gardening/weeding/raking/hoeing/planting/watering, etc., etc., etc." photos, among what must be thousands of photos online. There are photos of camping/hiking, protests and festivals, but nary a one of "growing our own food". Really. Maybe a handful with a bucket of berries or something, but serious gardening takes mega time. Mega. But no photos. It's important enough to tell people about, but not to show them.

Then, there's just that hunch I have. It comes from many things, I suppose, such as a photo of the raised beds on a beautiful day in an area that isn't known for having an over-abundance of them. It's an absolutely gorgeous day, and no children out and about. There seems to be an adult with dark hair in the background of the photo -maybe it's one of the older children, but it doesn't seem so to me. So, where are the children?

There are previous neighbors who've stated they've seen the children, but I don't remember anyone saying anything about "they were always in the garden". "They loved that garden!", etc. You'd think they would be voluminous evidence of said "growing one's own food", like there is of protests and festivals, and dancing in underwear. But, no, at least not that I'm aware of.

So, perhaps I am wrong and this family "grew their own food". Unfortunately, they obviously didn't eat it if they did, or perhaps they only grew enough of their "own food" for Sarah and Jen.

Same link again.

LE claim there were no signs of the Harts leaving in a hurry.

But doesn´t leaving your cat, some ducks and ducklings and many chickens behind suggest they left in haste indeed?

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/lo...theres-not-anything-in-disarray/283-533242315

LE needs to investigate this "aunt" of the hart family. If she knew about the animals in the house she probably knew about other things going on in the house too.

Ducks and chickens would need some supervision. Cats can fend for themselves. But if they were going away and didn't ask someone to check in on their animals, this would point to them not wanting people to m know they were gone/traveling I think.

IMO

LE needs to investigate this "aunt" of the hart family. If she knew about the animals in the house she probably knew about other things going on in the house too.

Ducks and chickens would need some supervision. Cats can fend for themselves. But if they were going away and didn't ask someone to check in on their animals, this would point to them not wanting people to m know they were gone/traveling I think.

IMO

True. I was also wondering who she might be.
They didn´t receive visitors - much.
The DeKalbs saw visiting vehicles twice, I believe.
Perhaps the "aunt".

attachment.php

Such a nice day for this part of the country, which has fewer sunny days and more rain than even Seattle. Yes, Seattle. It's too bad the children weren't out for such a nice day, which are few and far between in Woodland, WA.

Odd, also, that all windows (except maybe one on the second floor?) are covered with shades/drapes.

When was this picture taken?

IMO

Chickens are usually fed twice a day- once in the morning and again in the evening. For a weekend getaway, I know people will have someone feed their chickens once a day.

Also, they were gone overnight. And left behind a knocked over retaining wall bordering the driveway at the turn out.

I'm not Poppyflower, but I can share my opinion - I hope that's okay. Some vegans keep pets and some don't. I know vegans who have chickens and don't do anything with the eggs. Selling them would be inconsistent IMO but vegans don't always do everything the same way. I have a cat and every vet I've talked to said cats have to have meat in their diet, so I buy her cat food that contains meat protein. Just showing how there is no vegan law as if it were a religion though most follow the same guidelines. I know vegans who won't go horseback riding (because it's using rather than caring for the animal, and usually it requires leather goods) but will keep dogs, cats, chickens, and goats as pets. So the Harts as far as I know could very well be vegans and not consume animal products even though they had pets, including chickens. However it looks like they wore leather shoes so it might just be they followed a vegan diet. JMO. Other vegans might have different views.

The sheriff department believes the storm brought the 12 yr old hart girl to the surface of the ocean. Mark Twain the author has described how a cannon firedfrom the surface of a boat would cause bodies to surface in the river. There is no report on the use of divers to look for the missing two children.

Also, they were gone overnight. And left behind a knocked over retaining wall bordering the driveway at the turn out.

Yes.
It is straight out false to say there were no signs of them leaving in haste.

Could be mis-quoting by a reporter, but it says that LE saw no signs of a hasty departure.

Sarah made sure she would not be missed at work, and as Sleuth99 pointed out, they did not ask anyone to check on their animals, so they made sure no one knew they were gone.
Jen talked about a family emergency in her game guild - making sure she would not be missed there.

I wonder what their "plan" was - or were they just acting in panic without any idea of where to go, just away ?

I'm not Poppyflower, but I can share my opinion - I hope that's okay. Some vegans keep pets and some don't. I know vegans who have chickens and don't do anything with the eggs. Selling them would be inconsistent IMO but vegans don't always do everything the same way. I have a cat and every vet I've talked to said cats have to have meat in their diet, so I buy her cat food that contains meat protein. Just showing how there is no vegan law as if it were a religion though most follow the same guidelines. I know vegans who won't go horseback riding (because it's using rather than caring for the animal, and usually it requires leather goods) but will keep dogs, cats, chickens, and goats as pets. So the Harts as far as I know could very well be vegans and not consume animal products even though they had pets, including chickens. However it looks like they wore leather shoes so it might just be they followed a vegan diet. JMO. Other vegans might have different views.
I once had a boss whose dog came to work with her and was an "office dog," which was super enjoyable. I, however, had never before heard of a "vegetarian" dog (because no dog would choose that), and fed him some pepperoni once. Yikes his poor tummy! His mama was mad! But really, poor dog--that isn't their nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla