Deceased/Not Found CA - Heidi Planck, 39, left son’s football game in Downey, dog found in Los Angeles, 17 Oct 2021 #5

Does anyone know for sure if the investigation is still officially open? I’d assume it is still obviously open because they didn’t make any statements as to case closed and it seems no arrests have been made.

I feel like there is only one possible party/parties that could be actually responsible, unless the overdose story we’ve all heard is actually true. I say this because that’s what was offered as a narrative of what happened. Just because the police investigated certain aspects of it doesn’t mean that the whole thing was accurate. They never found her body at the landfill for one. I realized what’s most likely is two either this story is either true and accurate enough OR it must be false.

Maybe I’m dumb but I never thought of it like that before. The thing is many people see the holes in the story and for other reasons believe it is false. It felt as if it was a neat and tidy simple explanation for what happened that ultimately left no one responsible. I find it questionable for many reasons and since it seems nothing came of searching the landfill, the story seems even more likely to not be the truth. The fact that the police were searching the landfill made me think based on what they knew that there might have been some plausibility to the narrative which I always doubted for a few reasons anyway but the lack of results make me less convinced the story has any truth.

So correct me if I’m wrong but the two reasonable options left seem to be either accept it’s the truth OR accept it’s not the true story because it probably isn’t what really happened and consider therefore that would very possibly indicate that whoever is responsible for it is either the one responsible for Heidi Plancks murder or very close to them.

Why else would anyone risk putting out a false story that later could be revealed to be total nonsense by a massive police investigation? In that event it wouldn’t matter bc whoever it was protecting would be being charged with murder if the police ever did somehow solve things. It’s not as if they’d find some evidence to convict the wrong person (although tbh I wouldn’t be surprised given all the pressure and time and resources consumed with no answers if they did just try to blame someone bc my guess is the truth is not believable to begin with but the universe can’t favor this so ultimately the truth would come out if it’s sought). So the person/people who thought up the cover up story
might have figured they are the only people likely to be named actually suspects. So it’s eliminates the gamble of getting caught telling a false coverup story because the only way they’d get caught in that lie is by some determination they are the one(s) responsible in which case making up that story won’t be of any interest considering they’d be facing murder charges or similar.

I feel like this is the most reasonable path to a solution to this crime. Even as much as her ex husband seems like he’s the easy target with their divorce and ongoing problems. If he is involved probably it’s in a more convoluted manner than would be typical and he wasn’t acting alone. It doesn’t narrow it down a whole lot but it sort of does too. Who exactly told that story? Not that “Dawn” person, although for all we know she’s part of it all too. I feel like based on simple logic this is most likely to be the answer unless some odd far less likely thing occurred which I feel like is always possible but I’m not aware of any information that suggests this theory is obviously wrong.
Yes, the investigation is still active. The person who shared the story of the overdose to an acquaintance of mine (who then spoke to media) lived at Hope & Flower at the time. According to my acquaintance, others around the resident agreed that the story is what they had heard too. However, people close to Heidi don't believe the story to be 100% true based on their inimate knowledge of Heidi. MOO.

Yes, the investigation is still active. The person who shared the story of the overdose to an acquaintance of mine (who then spoke to media) lived at Hope & Flower at the time. According to my acquaintance, others around the resident agreed that the story is what they had heard too. However, people close to Heidi don't believe the story to be 100% true based on their inimate knowledge of Heidi. MOO.

However, whether a police case is being actively investigated is surely up to the police, not the residents in the building, or the family.

I notice this quote from back in October, is missing the crucial name of who 'said' it.
OCT 6, 2023
[...]

“The LAPD has reiterated that this is an ongoing investigation and that there are four or five individuals who know exactly what happened to Heidi that evening,” said <LEFT BLANK IN ORIGINAL STORY>.
[...]
Said who? - I presume a 'loved one'.

I'm sure if LAPD receive solid new information/leads, they will investigate them. Such as HP's remains. Or someone wanting to confess.

However, in the absence of anything new, I seriously doubt they have the resources to 'actively' investigate this case.

It's just reality. Cases get parked until there's a reason to bring them forward.

JMO

I'm sad for Heidi's son and loved ones. This case seems to have fallen completely off the radar, hope I'm wrong.

Apparently not completely off: this is dated just yesterday. No real news, but a good summary for newcomers....

My favorite part: "... many close to the case, including Jim Wayne, suspect that foul play is involved and that her former boss, Jason Sugarman, is involved."

Last edited:
Apparently not completely off: this is dated just yesterday. No real news, but a good summary for newcomers....

My favorite part: "... many close to the case, including Jim Wayne, suspect that foul play is involved and that her former boss, Jason Sugarman, is involved."

It seems JW has been saying (publicly) JS was involved pretty much since Day 1. Doesn't make it true, but he's certainly been consistent. Personally I wonder if there wasn't a "personality conflict" between the two men and that is what has fueled the claim (at least partly.) I know JS has "unsavory" aspects but I also remember JW being outraged JS wanted HP's work computer back. I didn't think that was so weird-- many bosses wouldn't want their company business floating around.

Re: the above link-- It has been awhile and maybe I've just forgotten. But I do not remember ever reading "Her son, whose 11th birthday was approaching, received a text from Heidi shortly after his game ended, congratulating him on his win." If she left the game at half-time, how did she know who won? It's not likely it was on the news. And what number did she text from if her personal phone was left at her home? (I remember she had two phones, one was a "work phone.")
MOO

It seems JW has been saying (publicly) JS was involved pretty much since Day 1. Doesn't make it true, but he's certainly been consistent. Personally I wonder if there wasn't a "personality conflict" between the two men and that is what has fueled the claim (at least partly.) I know JS has "unsavory" aspects but I also remember JW being outraged JS wanted HP's work computer back. I didn't think that was so weird-- many bosses wouldn't want their company business floating around.

Re: the above link-- It has been awhile and maybe I've just forgotten. But I do not remember ever reading "Her son, whose 11th birthday was approaching, received a text from Heidi shortly after his game ended, congratulating him on his win." If she left the game at half-time, how did she know who won? It's not likely it was on the news. And what number did she text from if her personal phone was left at her home? (I remember she had two phones, one was a "work phone.")
MOO
I didn't remember that either, but I see reference to it here - Deceased/Not Found - CA - Heidi Planck, 39, left son’s football game in Downey, dog found in Los Angeles, 17 Oct 2021 #4

I think Heidi sat with others at the game, so someone could have texted her the outcome or she could have inquired and sent her son the text.

MOO

IIRC, JW was upset that JS was totally focused on his laptop, not seeming to care at all that Heidi was missing.

I didn't remember that either, but I see reference to it here - Deceased/Not Found - CA - Heidi Planck, 39, left son’s football game in Downey, dog found in Los Angeles, 17 Oct 2021 #4

I think Heidi sat with others at the game, so someone could have texted her the outcome or she could have inquired and sent her son the text.
Yes, you are quite right, those are possibilities. But certainly the impression I had (a wrong impression based the above link and the link you provided!) was that she left the game at halftime at 4:30 and was never heard from again. (She was seen on video but had no more contact with anyone who knew her.)
MOO

IIRC, JW was upset that JS was totally focused on his laptop, not seeming to care at all that Heidi was missing.
Yes, perhaps that's the only issue. But JW was the ex-husband and no telling what JS had been told about him by HP. And no telling if HP felt JW had tried to get private info about her from her workplaces in the past. Based on what we do know, it wouldn't be surprising to me if that had happened and if HP requested he not be given information about her.

The whole work computer thing was messed up though IMO. JW took the laptop (and one of Heidi's phones) from Heidi's home when he went there with Heidi's friend who had a key. Then JS asked for the laptop but rather than give it to him (there was no real question that JS was the rightful owner), after keeping it a few more days JW gave it to the police! At that point in time it's not clear if the police could have gotten a warrant, but thanks to JW, they didn't have to (although use of any info on the laptop might be iffy in court.) So to me, the whole thing had and continues to have a strong, probably longstanding "personal conflict" vibe between the two men.
MOO

Yes, perhaps that's the only issue. But JW was the ex-husband
In addition, it occurs to me that is usually the first person LE suspect when a woman disappears, especially when there has been a custody dispute.

The conspiracy theory about JS that initially engulfed this case, completely distracted from that reality.

I'm not implying either of those two had anything to do with her disappearance, but perhaps it had something to do with some of the finger-pointing.

JMO

Yes, perhaps that's the only issue. But JW was the ex-husband and no telling what JS had been told about him by HP. And no telling if HP felt JW had tried to get private info about her from her workplaces in the past. Based on what we do know, it wouldn't be surprising to me if that had happened and if HP requested he not be given information about her.

The whole work computer thing was messed up though IMO. JW took the laptop (and one of Heidi's phones) from Heidi's home when he went there with Heidi's friend who had a key. Then JS asked for the laptop but rather than give it to him (there was no real question that JS was the rightful owner), after keeping it a few more days JW gave it to the police! At that point in time it's not clear if the police could have gotten a warrant, but thanks to JW, they didn't have to (although use of any info on the laptop might be iffy in court.) So to me, the whole thing had and continues to have a strong, probably longstanding "personal conflict" vibe between the two men.
MOO
This never sat well with me either. JW only said he took a look at her phone a few days later after seeing she had received a text about someone in H&F who had her dog (Seven).
MOO

This never sat well with me either. JW only said he took a look at her phone a few days later after seeing she had received a text about someone in H&F who had her dog (Seven).
MOO
Assuming he was worried about where HP was and the phone left at home might have held clues, it seems odd to me he claims he didn't look at the phone for a few days. If the phone was so uninteresting, why take it from her home? I don't think I'm buying that story.
MOO

Assuming he was worried about where HP was and the phone left at home might have held clues, it seems odd to me he claims he didn't look at the phone for a few days. If the phone was so uninteresting, why take it from her home? I don't think I'm buying that story.
MOO
On top of that, their son was worried SICK since mom wasn't responding to his texts which was HIGHLY unusual and nothing was done (to my knowledge) until Wednesday, 3 days later. Pretty heartbreaking to think of what the kid must have been going through in that time.
MOO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname