CA - Jae-Luv Smith, 8, beaten to death, Fresno, 17 Apr 2021 *guardians arrested*

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
Keona Smith is mourning the loss of her eight-year-old son, Jae-Luv Smith, who police say was murdered over the weekend. His guardians, Crystal Johnson, who is Keona’s aunt, and Crystal’s husband, Patrick Johnson, were arrested for the crime after a forensic pathologist ruled Smith’s death a homicide caused by severe blunt force trauma.

“I got to apologize to my kids because I did ask for help… I wasn’t ready as a mom. I was young, but I didn’t know they were going to do this to them,” Smith said.

Patrick was arrested for the murder of Jae-Luv, and Crystal was arrested on charges of felony child abuse. She was let out on bail for $40,000. Patrick’s bail is set at $1,000,000.

Police were called to Jae-Luv’s home in southeast Fresno on the morning of April 17, with reports that he was unresponsive. Medical personnel attempted to revive him but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Smith says her 10-year-old son and a 13-year-old daughter who lived with Jae-Luv, Patrick, and Crystal, told child-protective services about prior abuse. Officials said they know of two prior referrals to Child Protective Services.

“It’s been going on. The truth is coming out. My daughter told CPS they’ve been getting abused. I’m not going to leave these Fresno streets until I get the truth,” Smith said.

Jae-Luv’s siblings are under the care of Child Protective Services, and CPS will be conducting their own investigation. Crystal Johnson is due in court on June 24.
EXCLUSIVE: Birth-mother of 8-year-old boy allegedly beaten to death searching for answers in murder of her child | YourCentralValley.com

Yall, I cannot understand. I cant. How are there so many people who can hurt children? We just see the ones that end up dead. And all of them have prior reports of abuse. So that means thwre are just tons of adults hurting children. I don't get it.

Crystal’s fb appears to have been taken down already, unfortunately. She’d posted several family pictures where, from my observation, Jae-Luv had obvious scars/cuts/bruises on his face and arms. News reports said she was released on bail; I imagine deleting her social media was one of the first things she did upon release.

I hate this. As a former social worker, Fresno resident, and human being, I hate this so much.

Surveillance video obtained by ABC30 shows the moments Fresno Police Department's Street Violence Bureau Tactical Team pulled over and arrested 49-year-old Patrick Johnson and his wife, 47-year old Crystal Johnson. It happened at a gas station along Highway 41 in Lemoore around 1:30 p.m. Tuesday.
We reached out to the Fresno County Department of Social Services, which released a statement that said in part,

"In this case, an eight-year-old male child died while in the home of his guardians and an investigation is being conducted by Child Welfare. Other than the two referrals referenced by the Fresno Police Department, there was no other Fresno County Child Welfare involvement with this family. This information is provided to offer a better understanding and critical context of Child Welfare investigations to aid in current reporting. Due to the sensitive and confidential nature of these investigations, DSS is unable to provide further comment or interviews regarding this matter. Thank you for your understanding."
8-year-old child beaten to death in southeast Fresno, 2 arrested, police say

Crystal’s fb appears to have been taken down already, unfortunately. She’d posted several family pictures where, from my observation, Jae-Luv had obvious scars/cuts/bruises on his face and arms. News reports said she was released on bail; I imagine deleting her social media was one of the first things she did upon release.

I hate this. As a former social worker, Fresno resident, and human being, I hate this so much.
I feel you. ❤️ I’m sorry. Don’t worry about whether you’re posting too much. Locals are fabulous resources for WS. Y’all know things we won’t read in msm. I’m glad you’re here. Pulling my favorite quote from the closet for you:

“Compassion asks us to go where it hurts, to enter into the places of pain,to share in brokenness, fear, confusion, and anguish.

Compassion challenges us to cry out with those in misery, to mourn with those who are lonely, to weep with those in tears.

Compassion requires us to be weak with the weak, vulnerable with the vulnerable, and powerless with the powerless.

Compassion means full immersion in the condition of being human.”

-Henri Nouwen

I feel you. ❤️ I’m sorry. Don’t worry about whether you’re posting too much. Locals are fabulous resources for WS. Y’all know things we won’t read in msm. I’m glad you’re here. Pulling my favorite quote from the closet for you:

“Compassion asks us to go where it hurts, to enter into the places of pain,to share in brokenness, fear, confusion, and anguish.

Compassion challenges us to cry out with those in misery, to mourn with those who are lonely, to weep with those in tears.

Compassion requires us to be weak with the weak, vulnerable with the vulnerable, and powerless with the powerless.

Compassion means full immersion in the condition of being human.”

-Henri Nouwen
I love that. It is exactly why I follow the "hard to follow cases", when I can. I feel like if it is so hard to even read, imagine living it!!! Its just a silent stance with the child, so they know they are no longer alone and unspoken for.

The Johnsons, whom KGPE identified as the boy’s great-uncle and great-aunt, were the child’s guardians.

“Through a forensic exam of the victim by the Fresno County Coroner’s Office, the forensic pathologist ruled the victim’s death a homicide caused by severe blunt force trauma,” Fresno police said in a news release.

Authorities have since charged Patrick Johnson with murder and Crystal Johnson with felony child abuse in the case, the release said.
Guardians arrested in beating death of 8-year-old California boy, police say

Police say Patrick Johnson was booked into the Fresno County Jail on the charge of Murder, Child Abuse with infliction of Great Bodily Injury, Corporal Injury to a Child, and Dissuading a Witness by Force or Threat.

Crystal Johnson was charged with Child Abuse with infliction of Great Bodily Injury and Corporal Injury to a Child.

If convicted of all charges and allegations, Patrick Eugene Johnson faces a sentence of just over 15 years to life in state prison. Crystal Johnson faces a sentence of up to 9 years in the state prison.

Patrick Eugene Johnson is scheduled to be arraigned on April 23rd in Fresno County Superior Court and Crystal Johnson is scheduled to be arraigned on June 24th.
2 charged after 8-year-old boy killed by blunt force trauma in Fresno

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back