Found Deceased CA - Janette “JayJay” Pantoja, 28, & ex-boyfriend (Juan Almanza, 36) didn’t return from Reno trip, Yuba City, 6 August 2022

JP is listed on the CA Attny General's website which hosts the state Missing Person's Database, but JA is not. Could this be because no one officially filed a missing persons report for him?
State of California Department of Justice

I’m pretty sure it was mentioned early in MSM that his family had filed a MP report. Lemme see if I can find it…

According to this LE Facebook post, his family reported him missing to Yuba City PD:

Janette "JJ" Pantoja, 29, and Juan Almanza Zavala, 36, were supposed to return home from the Hot August Nights car show on Aug. 7.

They broke up years ago but remained on friendly terms, according to her sister, Alejandra Pantoja, who said it was not unusual for them to go out to dinner or to events even though she’d since begun a new relationship.

Yuba City police said the pair’s phones last pinged in Nevada County, California, but a search of the area turned up nothing.

They were headed home from Reno, Nevada, to Yuba City in California. Reno is about 35 miles northwest of the Prosser Family Campground in the Tahoe National Forest, where 16-year-old Kiely Rodni was last seen about 23 hours earlier. Pantoja and Almanza Zavala’s phones last pinged in Penn Valley, another 75 miles to the west.

Authorities have said they don’t think the cases are connected – but Alejandra Pantoja has taken issue with the massive public search effort for Rodni juxtaposed against her sister’s quieter case.

"I thought police were pretty rude," she said of a Yuba City detective. "I called them today because I wanted to know about my sister, and they were like we can’t keep in contact with you every day."

"They’ve been telling us they were going to send an aerial search and they haven’t done that," Alejandra Pantoja said of Yuba City. "I just feel like if something happened to them, or if he did something to her, they’re just giving [potential suspects] time to run."

"How is it that they’re doing a big deal for her but not making a big deal for our family member?" Alejandra Pantoja said. "It’s not OK."
Janette JJ Pantoja in several photographs provided by her sister, Alejandra Pantoja.

I can definitely understand the sister’s frustration, but they are adults.
However, the sister’s comment... “if he did something to her”, who is she referring to? And if it’s the ex that her sister is with, why would she make a comment like that? Seems odd. JMO

If the phones were damaged by water or impact, would her phone stop sharing? Would he get a notification about it?

I assume so but I don't really know that. If it's the find my phone feature, I think a dead phone would generate a different message than sharing terminated? But I don't know if she even has an iPhone. Samsungs have a similar feature but it behaves differently sometimes.

I've been researching a bit and carbuff is correct. If she had an iphone...This explains is well...

Basically the 'stopped sharing' is different than the other 'location not available.'

Per the article... On android, once you stop sharing location with someone, Google will immediately send a message to the contact notifying the person that you no longer share location with him or her.

My apologies if I missed this in another post but this part really concerned me...

From article...
Thirty minutes passed, and she never arrived. Then he got an alert on his phone that she’d stopped sharing her location, Alejandra Pantoja told Fox News Digital Tuesday.

Source: Kiely Rodni missing: Two other people vanished nearby on same day; sister asks where’s their aerial search?
Three choices IMO. Undiscovered car accident, they are voluntarily missing together, or the ex has taken her.

I suppose LE has verified all the interested parties cell phone records, including the current bf?
How new is that relationship? If it was fairly new, the ex might have decided he didn't like the interruption of his relationship status quo with JP?

Three choices IMO. Undiscovered car accident, they are voluntarily missing together, or the ex has taken her.

I suppose LE has verified all the interested parties cell phone records, including the current bf?
How new is that relationship? If it was fairly new, the ex might have decided he didn't like the interruption of his relationship status quo with JP?
I think #2 or #3 is more likely. It doesn't sound like her location would stop sharing in the event of an accident. The act of unsharing sounds intentional IMO.

i feel like the ex could have done something to her than stopped sharing location on her phone.
I’ve been thinking about that also, especially since in one of the articles posted above her sister even mentions something about if he hurt her.

Why would that even be a consideration if there’s nothing to base it on? Also, the video above says they were a couple for eight years. This case is really concerning IMO.

I still can't get over the difference in LE and media response between this case and Kiely Rodni. Of course, sometimes it comes down to LE response and sometimes how loud family and friends make noise. Kiely's mother and one of friends, Sami Smith, have done their best to keep her case up there. Maybe JJ and Juan's family and friends should turn up the volume.

I still can't get over the difference in LE and media response between this case and Kiely Rodni. Of course, sometimes it comes down to LE response and sometimes how loud family and friends make noise. Kiely's mother and one of friends, Sami Smith, have done their best to keep her case up there. Maybe JJ and Juan's family and friends should turn up the volume.
Agreed. Maybe since Kiely is a missing teen combined with how vocal family and friends are, her case is receiving more media/help.

Also, these two are adults, and by law we know “they are allowed to go missing”, but I feel like this is not a couple who just wanted time away MOO. I think there is something nefarious afoot here. You’re right... family needs to turn up the volume!

this stands out to me - "A family member of Pantoja said the last message they received from them was a text Pantoja sent to her boyfriend saying that they were 30 minutes away and would be home soon."

was her bf a-ok w her taking a fun day trip w her ex?
I found it odd that her current boyfriend knew she was out with her old boyfriend. Maybe he harmed them and covered it up.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back