CA CA - John Beck, 73, Alameda, 9 Feb 2016 #2

What is "the Presidio"? An area in Alameda? Is it close to where JB went missing?

The Presidio is a former military base near Golden Gate Bridge on SF. Yes it’s very close. I just posted maps.

I doubt it is him. The article linked by Gardener above says "severely decomposed" and "no foul play is suspected". Would they use those terms if this was really just a skeleton that's been found? I don't think after almost two years, the body of John Beck would be described as "severely decomposed".

ETA: Thank you for the map links Lilibet!

I doubt it is him. The article linked by Gardener above says "severely decomposed" and "no foul play is suspected". Would they use those terms if this was really just a skeleton that's been found? I don't think after almost two years, the body of John Beck would be described as "severely decomposed".

ETA: Thank you for the map links Lilibet!

I started to research the difference between skeletal and severely decomposed and didn’t find what I was looking for. I think, given the damp SF climate and possible shade from the forested area, that it’s possible that a small part of the decomposed body might remain, along with it being mostly skeletal. I doubt that would be the case in a hot, dry climate. If there is no obvious damage to the skeleton, like blow to head or gunshot damage, they might not suspect foul play. If it is JB, he could have had a heart attack or he could have just laid down and taken a lethal amount of a drug. The folder of papers he carried look like leather, so, unless he discarded them elsewhere, there may be evidence of it nearby.

Perhaps the family will now get an answer to this mystery. RIP whomever you are.

Perhaps the family will now get an answer to this mystery. RIP whomever you are.

Yes, whoever it is has family somewhere. It could even be a homeless person who hasn’t been reported missing. :(

I feel it is a very strong possibility it is John, but I guess time will tell. I wonder how long it will take to get some answers?

Surely at his age there would be some dental records somewhere to help rule out if it is him.

It might take longer than it should because his NAMUS shows that no dental records or DNA have been submitted. I hope LE is still aware of JB and has contact info for family.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/show/32544

Wonder why no DNA was submitted. Is it common for family not to want to submit it ? Or is it common for LE not to request it from family? I have no idea how that works. TIA.

Surely at his age there would be some dental records somewhere to help rule out if it is him.

I’m sure there are dental records, but when you have a missing relative you want to obtain them ASAP so that they are available when needed, rather than try to track them down when remains are found. Of course, if he wore dentures, the same would apply I imagine.

Wonder why no DNA was submitted. Is it common for family not to want to submit it ? Or is it common for LE not to request it from family? I have no idea how that works. TIA.

I’m not sure how it works either, but whoever was involved in giving info to NAMUS would have known to request both dental and DNA for speed of identifying remains. That should have been explained to the family. I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t comply. In fact, WS may have suggested it to the family friend posting on the first thread.

ETA: They set up the NamUs profile very quickly in February. In March and April I commented that it was a very weak profile and needed more information and photos added, including the Lands End Photo. I believe the friend was still around in March, so I’m not sure why those things weren’t added.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/search.php?searchid=7966922

I’m sure there are dental records, but when you have a missing relative you want to obtain them ASAP so that they are available when needed, rather than try to track them down when remains are found. Of course, if he wore dentures, the same would apply I imagine.

I’m not sure how it works either, but whoever was involved in giving info to NAMUS would have known to request both dental and DNA for speed of identifying remains. That should have been explained to the family. I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t comply. In fact, WS may have suggested it to the family friend posting on the first thread.

ETA: They set up the NamUs profile very quickly in February. In March and April I commented that it was a very weak profile and needed more information and photos added, including the Lands End Photo. I believe the friend was still around in March, so I’m not sure why those things weren’t added.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/search.php?searchid=7966922

That’s quite interesting isn’t it, that they didn’t bother bother to provide this information.

That’s quite interesting isn’t it, that they didn’t bother bother to provide this information.

I want to think that they just couldn’t face the possibility that John’s remains might need to be identified. Denial is powerful.

The Presidio has so many people moving through there. Hikers, tourists, transients, joggers, locals, teens.....I don't understand how a body could be there for 2 years...unless it was hidden somewhat, somehow...

I want to think that they just couldn’t face the possibility that John’s remains might need to be identified. Denial is powerful.

I’m sure you’re right.

Also, this family would be very distrustful of the government considering his lawsuit. Maybe they just figured they would handle that aspect when and if a body was ever located.

The packet he was carrying around with him still concerns me. Why would he carry it everywhere that day if he was just going to commit suicide? Why not throw them away at the very beginning? Also, if this is John, he should have had his ID on him, unless he threw everything in a trash can once he made up his mind. I'm just not sure. Common sense tells me he is deceased, but the adventuresome side of me says he is sitting on that beach sipping toddies and watching the waves roll in! I hope we hear something soon.

Also, this family would be very distrustful of the government considering his lawsuit. Maybe they just figured they would handle that aspect when and if a body was ever located.

I hadn’t thought of that. You could be right. The benefit of having everything on file though is that LE will be able to match the identity even if the family doesn’t hear about remains being found. I sent a message to family friend JoyM, just in case they hadn’t seen this news story. I don’t always catch local news stories myself. There are so many who go missing that LE may not always connect the dots.

The packet he was carrying around with him still concerns me. Why would he carry it everywhere that day if he was just going to commit suicide? Why not throw them away at the very beginning? Also, if this is John, he should have had his ID on him, unless he threw everything in a trash can once he made up his mind. I'm just not sure. Common sense tells me he is deceased, but the adventuresome side of me says he is sitting on that beach sipping toddies and watching the waves roll in! I hope we hear something soon.

Very good points about the packet of papers and ID. I do wonder if they were found earlier and we weren’t told. I hope there is follow up to this story and that we see it. These stories have a way of fading away or taking a year to figure out the identity. I too waffle about what I think happened.

Bumping for John, missing 2 years today.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back