Found Deceased CA - John Sturkie, 55, planned to go to the beach, Oceanside, San Diego County, 4 Jan 2019

If all this is true, there seems to be a logical storyline. He lied to his wife about where he was going. He went to buy and do drugs (El Cajon?) Is it possible he left his phone there, and that is how his wife traced it there.

Then he went to the mountains alone, to do some off roading. His truck got stuck, he ran into the guys who claim to have met him, but he did not want to abandon his truck. Time passed, and he decided to go out on foot looking for help.

If all this is true, especially the part about his truck being located, will they search for his body at any point? I still can't understand why the police have not made some sort of statement regarding the known facts to date.

John is in NamUs as of today:

Missing Person / NamUs #MP56680
John Mark Sturkie, Male, White / Caucasian

Date of Last Contact: January 4, 2019
Missing From: Idyllwild, California

Case Information
Demographics

Missing Age: 55 Years
Current Age: 55 Years
First Name: John
Middle Name: Mark
Last Name: Sturkie
Nickname/Alias: --
Sex: Male
Height: 6' 5" (77 Inches)
Weight: 243 lbs
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last Contact: January 4, 2019
NamUs Case Created: April 11, 2019

Last Known Location Map

County: San Bernardino County

Circumstances of Disappearance:
John Sturkie was last seen by his wife at their home in Oceanside, CA on the evening of 01-04-19. He left in a rush and has not made contact with family since. On 01/05/19, three men found John and his truck, stuck in the snow on an off-road trail in Idyllwild, CA. John declined to leave the mountain with the men when they were unable to get his truck down the hill successfully. John's truck has since been located by authorities on the trail however John is still missing.

Physical Description
Hair Color: Unknown or Completely Bald
Head Hair Description: bald
Body Hair Description: --
Facial Hair Description: salt and pepper beard with mustache
Left Eye Color: Blue
Right Eye Color: Blue
Eye Description: --

Distinctive Physical Features:
No Information Entered

Clothing and Accessories:
No Information Entered

Additional Case Info:

Transportation:
No Information Entered

3 Images & Documents
C1C3FC4B-9742-4429-BB8F-47A21F0A2326.jpeg B4F7289F-12AC-4F21-BF1A-1134DDF75924.jpeg CF9DB131-93F9-4046-AEC7-D31E68BD5272.jpeg

0 Unidentified Person Exclusions (as of 4/11/19)

Contacts

Investigating Agencies
CASE OWNER: Oceanside Police Department
(760) 435-4900

Agency Case Number: 19000398

Elizabeth Bunn, Law Enforcement
--
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Call me cynical but no one has been able to provide the names of the three men that found him (not to mention that fact that given the photo provided on Go Fund Me, there would have been FOUR people at the scene, as someone had to take the phone photo), nor have they come forward in any way to MSM. There are also no transcripts of the alleged 911 call from them. The only info on them is from the people that did the Go Fund Me and the FB. It is possible John died from an OD (the PI had documentation that he had a substance problem) or accident and the friends he was with in El Cajun left the vehicle in the mountains.

There are also no transcripts of the alleged 911 call from them. The only info on them is from the people that did the Go Fund Me and the FB. It is possible John died from an OD (the PI had documentation that he had a substance problem) or accident and the friends he was with in El Cajun left the vehicle in the mountains.
RSBM for focus

I found the following comment by the admin under the post from April 5th:

“[GW] a 911 call was made by the three guys.The Riverside sheriff's department weren't made aware of the connection between the missing persons report in the system to the 911 call until weeks later. We know about the 2/14 storm.

[SBM]”
Please Help Find John Sturkie

According to his missing persons poster:
“John was last seen off-roading on Black Mountain Truck Trail near Fuller Ridge and Pacific Crest Trail (Pine Cove/Idyllwild, CA), Saturday, January 5th by three men who tried to help get his truck unstuck”:

As previously posted by jash, one of the fundraising pages goes on to say when the three men came off the mountain (John stayed behind because he didn’t want to leave the truck) and into cell phone range, they made a 911 call.

An update on the same fundraising page from 25 days ago reports that it was due to the PI’s work that John’s truck was located recently, while according to his NamUs profile, “John's truck has since been located by authorities on the trail.”

So my question is why didn’t the Riverside Sheriff’s Office at least try to find John’s truck as soon as they received the call from the three men? If there really was a 911 call made immediately, given the weather at the time, it seems like SAR would have looked for and found John relatively easily.

Besides, who’s to say John and the men couldn’t have known each other, gone off-roading together, or the men couldn’t have harmed John.

Also, I find it rather unusual that someone would take a selfie under the circumstances. I don’t know what and I may be completely wrong, but it seems like there was an ulterior motive when they took the photo.

RSBM for focus

I found the following comment by the admin under the post from April 5th:

“[GW] a 911 call was made by the three guys.The Riverside sheriff's department weren't made aware of the connection between the missing persons report in the system to the 911 call until weeks later. We know about the 2/14 storm.

[SBM]”

According to his missing persons poster:
“John was last seen off-roading on Black Mountain Truck Trail near Fuller Ridge and Pacific Crest Trail (Pine Cove/Idyllwild, CA), Saturday, January 5th by three men who tried to help get his truck unstuck”:

As previously posted by jash, one of the fundraising pages goes on to say when the three men came off the mountain (John stayed behind because he didn’t want to leave the truck) and into cell phone range, they made a 911 call.

An update on the same fundraising page from 25 days ago reports that it was due to the PI’s work that John’s truck was located recently, while according to his NamUs profile, “John's truck has since been located by authorities on the trail.”

So my question is why didn’t the Riverside Sheriff’s Office at least try to find John’s truck as soon as they received the call from the three men? If there really was a 911 call made immediately, given the weather at the time, it seems like SAR would have looked for and found John relatively easily.

Besides, who’s to say John and the men couldn’t have known each other, gone off-roading together, or the men couldn’t have harmed John.

Also, I find it rather unusual that someone would take a selfie under the circumstances. I don’t know what and I may be completely wrong, but it seems like there was an ulterior motive when they took the photo.
The Oceanside Police Department has an investigation on John with a Detective assigned to it. If you go to their Facebook page there are regular updates on the status of missing people but NO update on John about being seen in the mountains or that a 911 call came in regarding him. There is also no update on the PI's blog as to those two events being verified.

I would say the pic was snapped after they got the truck out the 1st time.
edited to add: 4 wheel drive trucks are really meant to pull trailers. Adding a lift kit is usually what younger adults add- for show. The last thing you really want to do with a big double cab/ extended cab 4x4 truck is actually take it off road. ( no matter what the commercials show). With a lift on it- things are definitely more likely to break. We have 3 lifted and 4 not lifted trucks in the driveway. Son found this out the hard way with his first one as well.

Last edited:
I found the ***, but it only mentions he was last seen at home and mentions El Cajon. I read through about 10 other articles and they all repeated the same information. I still haven't come across the San Jacinto Mountains information. SHRUG

His family has been searching on Mt. San Jacinto and passing out fliers to PCT hikers in the past week.

I've put together a timeline based on the little information out there. Due to the abysmal MSM reporting, consider this all JMO/MOO etc.

~Christmastime
  • JS finds work as an electrician, after having been unemployed for most of 2018.
Friday, January 4th
  • 5:00 PM – After getting home from work, JS has a quick dinner at home and rushes off, telling his wife that he is meeting friends at the beach. He brings nothing to suggest he’s staying overnight. He is reportedly in good spirits. Before leaving, his wife blesses him and asks for same in return.
  • That evening, his wife uses the Find My iPhone app to track him to his friend’s house in El Cajon.
  • JS and his friend (and possibly a third man) may have been abusing substances (see Feb. 8th).
Saturday, January 5th
  • 2:00 AM – JS’s truck is seen parked outside of his friend’s house in El Cajon (police using license plate scanning cameras) (see Feb. 8th).
  • Later that morning, JS’s wife, upon waking up, realizes he did not come home. She continues to use the app and sees his phone is still at the friend’s house in El Cajon.
  • According to an update on the fundraising site (see Mar. 20th), JS was off-roading in the mountains and got his truck stuck. He encounters three men who try to help but are not able to get the truck out. Once those men get to an area with cell reception, they call 911 (see Feb. 28th).
Sunday, January 6th
  • JS’s phone is still being tracked to the house in El Cajon; this is the last date the app can connect with the phone (battery dies or phone is otherwise disabled).
Monday, January 7th
  • JS does not show up for an electrical job he had in Orange County, which is out of character.
~January 18th
  • JS’s friend, a fellow electrician, learns of his disappearance.
January 23rd
  • Oceanside Police post a missing person flyer on Facebook.
January 27th
  • A fundraising campaign is created online by a relative to pay for a Private Investigator, advertising and other expenses related to finding JS.
January 29th
  • JS’s family retains a Private Investigation firm.
January 30th
  • A fundraising campaign is created online to support JS’s wife and children.
February 1st
  • Media begins reporting on JS’s disappearance.
February 8th
  • The PI firm posts a blog entry on their website with details of JS's case.
February 26th
  • An update is posted to the original fundraising campaign stating JS’s last known location was in the San Jacinto Mountains in Riverside County, and that several helicopter searches had failed to locate JS or his truck.
February 28th
  • The PI firm posts on Instagram that JS was reportedly seen in Beaumont on January 5th. In response to a comment, they clarify that someone had helped him with his truck and called it in.
~March 20th
  • An update is posted to the second fundraising campaign disclosing details about JS’s truck getting stuck in the mountains the day after he disappeared (see Jan. 5th), and announcing that his truck had recently been located in the mountains (~6,500 elev).
this was very useful for folks like me who read, but not obsessively, about this curious case. Thanks!
Hope he's found, for his family's sake.

Why would one go all the way from O'side to El Cajon for drugs?
If all this is true, there seems to be a logical storyline. He lied to his wife about where he was going. He went to buy and do drugs (El Cajon?) Is it possible he left his phone there, and that is how his wife traced it there.

Then he went to the mountains alone, to do some off roading. His truck got stuck, he ran into the guys who claim to have met him, but he did not want to abandon his truck. Time passed, and he decided to go out on foot looking for help.

If all this is true, especially the part about his truck being located, will they search for his body at any point? I still can't understand why the police have not made some sort of statement regarding the known facts to date.

JS's wife posted a photo of his abandoned truck (she said she hiked to it last week). I'm surprised it hasn't been towed/retrieved by now.

58831622_295329558033649_8672081772885835776_n.jpg

JS's wife posted a photo of his abandoned truck (she said she hiked to it last week). I'm surprised it hasn't been towed/retrieved by now.

58831622_295329558033649_8672081772885835776_n.jpg

I'm not sure why they couldn't just drive it out now that the weather is better. It certainly doesn't look 'stuck' now!

Probably beating a dead horse here, but ...:

“[SBM]

On Saturday, [Jan. 5], [John Sturkie] was on the Black Mountain Truck Trail. During the day, rain was falling all over the San Jacinto Mountains. And Saturday night, snow arrived. At lower elevations such as Idyllwild and Fern Valley, it measured 4 inches. But 9 inches were recorded at the Long Valley Ranger Station, which is a much higher elevation. Idyllwild’s recorded temperatures that day were a high of 47 degrees and a low of 34 degrees.

[SBM]

Theresa said sometime during the day, three other hikers encountered Sturkie, whose truck was stuck in the mud on the truck trail. They helped him free it and continued up the trail.
On their return, they met him again, stuck again. This time, according to the family’s Facebook page, they could not extricate his vehicle. He refused to walk down the trail with them to return Sunday to free it.
But they did call 911 to alert first responders about the trapped man, according to Theresa.
This is the last known encounter with John Sturkie. On March 15, his truck was found about 12 miles from the highway at 6,500 elevation, but no sign of him nearby. The Riverside County Sheriff’s Department has conducted a search on Black Mountain along the truck trail that was unsuccessful.

[SBM]”

According to John’s NamUs profile (created on Apr. 11):
“[SBM]

On 01/05/19, three men found John and his truck, stuck in the snow on an off-road trail in Idyllwild, CA. John declined to leave the mountain with the men when they were unable to get his truck down the hill successfully. John's truck has since been located by authorities on the trail however John is still missing.“

Posted to the PI firm’s Instagram account six days ago:
“[SBM]

Update on the search for this beloved husband, father, and friend to many.

John’s truck was found on the Black Mountain Truck Trail near Fuller Bridge and Pacific Crest Trail (Pine Cove/Idyllwild, CA).

It’s believed John left on foot when his truck ran out of fuel.

[SBM]”
Premier Group International on Instagram: “MISSING since January 5, 2019 - John Mark Sturkie. . Update on the search for this beloved husband, father, and friend to many. . John’s…”

The PI firm also posted on Instagram nine weeks ago that “someone had helped him with his truck and called it in” in response to a comment (original post is dated Feb. 28):
Premier Group International on Instagram: “John Mark Sturkie, missing since January 4, 2019, was reportedly seen in Beaumont, California, January 5th. . •If you have any information…”
(All BBM)

So the family, LE and the PI all appear to agree that John and his truck were on the Black Mountain Truck Trail on Jan. 5. This is likely based on information given to them by the three men and the selfie photo of them with John.

I hope that the information has been well-vetted: it’s possible, IMO, this is a case of “four of them went up but only three came down.”

As to what might have happened after that is anybody’s guess, IMO. Has it been confirmed that there was a 911 call from the three men on Jan. 5? If there was, wouldn’t the Riverside Sheriff’s Office have deployed search and rescue immediately, given the weather at the time and the fact that John’s truck was stuck?

Had this happened, they probably would have been able to rescue John in a timely manner, IMO.

Or even if they couldn’t find him right away, Riverside SO would have made the connection between John’s truck and the missing persons investigation as soon as he was reported missing and contacted the Oceanside PD right away, instead of the truck being found in late Feb. (according to the PI), or Mar. 15 (according to the new article; I’m not sure which one is correct).

And if the three men didn’t call 911 on Jan. 5, why not?

Probably beating a dead horse here, but ...:

“[SBM]

On Saturday, [Jan. 5], [John Sturkie] was on the Black Mountain Truck Trail. During the day, rain was falling all over the San Jacinto Mountains. And Saturday night, snow arrived. At lower elevations such as Idyllwild and Fern Valley, it measured 4 inches. But 9 inches were recorded at the Long Valley Ranger Station, which is a much higher elevation. Idyllwild’s recorded temperatures that day were a high of 47 degrees and a low of 34 degrees.

[SBM]

Theresa said sometime during the day, three other hikers encountered Sturkie, whose truck was stuck in the mud on the truck trail. They helped him free it and continued up the trail.
On their return, they met him again, stuck again. This time, according to the family’s Facebook page, they could not extricate his vehicle. He refused to walk down the trail with them to return Sunday to free it.
But they did call 911 to alert first responders about the trapped man, according to Theresa.
This is the last known encounter with John Sturkie. On March 15, his truck was found about 12 miles from the highway at 6,500 elevation, but no sign of him nearby. The Riverside County Sheriff’s Department has conducted a search on Black Mountain along the truck trail that was unsuccessful.

[SBM]”

According to John’s NamUs profile (created on Apr. 11):
“[SBM]

On 01/05/19, three men found John and his truck, stuck in the snow on an off-road trail in Idyllwild, CA. John declined to leave the mountain with the men when they were unable to get his truck down the hill successfully. John's truck has since been located by authorities on the trail however John is still missing.“

Posted to the PI firm’s Instagram account six days ago:
“[SBM]

Update on the search for this beloved husband, father, and friend to many.

There has been no confirmation that a 911 call was made by either Law Enforcement or the PI. That information came from a family member. The men haven't come forward publically as well, also information that just comes from family.

John’s truck was found on the Black Mountain Truck Trail near Fuller Bridge and Pacific Crest Trail (Pine Cove/Idyllwild, CA).

It’s believed John left on foot when his truck ran out of fuel.

[SBM]”
Premier Group International on Instagram: “MISSING since January 5, 2019 - John Mark Sturkie. . Update on the search for this beloved husband, father, and friend to many. . John’s…”

The PI firm also posted on Instagram nine weeks ago that “someone had helped him with his truck and called it in” in response to a comment (original post is dated Feb. 28):
Premier Group International on Instagram: “John Mark Sturkie, missing since January 4, 2019, was reportedly seen in Beaumont, California, January 5th. . •If you have any information…”
(All BBM)

So the family, LE and the PI all appear to agree that John and his truck were on the Black Mountain Truck Trail on Jan. 5. This is likely based on information given to them by the three men and the selfie photo of them with John.

I hope that the information has been well-vetted: it’s possible, IMO, this is a case of “four of them went up but only three came down.”

As to what might have happened after that is anybody’s guess, IMO. Has it been confirmed that there was a 911 call from the three men on Jan. 5? If there was, wouldn’t the Riverside Sheriff’s Office have deployed search and rescue immediately, given the weather at the time and the fact that John’s truck was stuck?

Had this happened, they probably would have been able to rescue John in a timely manner, IMO.

Or even if they couldn’t find him right away, Riverside SO would have made the connection between John’s truck and the missing persons investigation as soon as he was reported missing and contacted the Oceanside PD right away, instead of the truck being found in late Feb. (according to the PI), or Mar. 15 (according to the new article; I’m not sure which one is correct).

And if the three men didn’t call 911 on Jan. 5, why not?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back