CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death hiking area, Aug 2021 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would tend to disagree. Despite the framing in hedlines of ‘Google guy’ or ‘Techie transplants’, among high-profile cases (from the viral ‘van life’ to the humble Phil Kreycik and his Strava watch I know I woulda geeked out on back in the day). this has the least connection to social media. Which is consistent of ‘techies’ I know, generally low-profile and extremely protective of their children’s exposure.

Sorry, to be more clear, she wasn't posting much else either for about a year. Then suddenly, on the day they die, an empty baby backpack. Just odd timing. Or was it NOT posted to HER account, anyone know?

I think people not posting their kids on social media is a great practice and if she wanted to step back from IG, cool, cool. But in the context of not using it often, a post of an empty baby carrier, then they die that day, hiking, seems a bit eerie, MOO.

I did not see the backpack on her IG account before it was locked. So maybe it was another account? Early articles mentioned it. Maybe it was sent to a friend who spoke to a reporter?

Hi again all… well… against all odds I did it!

I found some VIDEO & AUDIO evidence of Storm Cells #1 and #2 on August 15th, 2021. So this is “An Appendix” to my initial post containing the 5 satellite weather GIFs. If you missed that post, here it is.

(Sincere apologies if my posts are so “long-winded” but if one submits anything “evidentiary” I feel it’s vitally important to document it as thoroughly and succinctly as possible.)

And BTW, please note, my focus in investigating the weather is not to push or promote the “Lightning as a COD” theory one way or the other. I’m just trying to uncover some factual insights about the weather conditions that day to clarify what WAS or WASN’T within the realm of “likely” when it comes to those 2 storm cells, and by proxy, the effect they may have had on on the ground conditions and temperature as well.

----------------------

So… I spent most of yesterday obsessively trying to find some photographic or video evidence of the storm cells that passed over the Gerrish-Chung location that day. You’d think, in this digital age, especially in an area as well visited as Yosemite, that certainly SOMEBODY would have snapped a picture or briefly panned video past the area of sky in question. Nope. Nada. “Dude, point your camera at the sky for a moment please!” Uuuugh. So frustrating.

Anyway, after a solid day of sifting the internet and scrubbing through perhaps hundreds of YouTube videos – and just as I was about to give up - I finally hit some pay dirt.

--------------------

On August 2nd, 2021 a young woman (I’ll address by her initials - “J.O.” - for digital anonymity), set out with a group of friends to hike the John Muir Trail from the south (Mt. Whitney area) to the north (ending at Yosemite). This is a popular hike that takes about two weeks. She video-taped the entire journey for a vlog and it runs just over 73 minutes.

Though each day only opens with a “DAY XX” caption (rather than a calendar date), in her intro “Day 1” was definitively identified to be August 2nd, 2021, making the film’s “Day 14” August 15th, 2021.

What follows is a time-stamped run down of the sections that relate to the storm cells.

HERE’S J.O.'s VIDEO on YOUTUBE:

(NOTE: AS the WS TOS specifically requires that any statements presented as “fact” be backed up with evidence, I’ve attached two graphics at the bottom of this post that chronicle the technical methods by which I extrapolated my certainty that the cloud formations in the video are indeed Cell 1 and Cell 2 on the day in question.)

Pertinent Time Stamps:

At 49:37 - The day opens with the caption “Day 14” (by “trip day” extrapolation, August 15, 2021).

At 52:00 - J.O. is hiking 0.8 miles east of that night’s intended camp destination at “1000 Island Lake”. She’s facing almost due west. Both a caption and her narration identify the lake by name. This lake is 19 miles east of Half Dome in Yosemite Valley at a heading 95 degrees. In front of her, the southern edge of the lake can be seen, and above it a gathering of dark clouds, with a particularly dark knot in the clouds being most evident. This dark area is clearly the beginnings of Cell 1’s build-up, because…

At 52:15 - she says “It’s 4:30, we made great time…” This welcome auditory time stamp, when referenced with the 4:30PM image frame of the Visible Satellite GIF loop, indicates that storm Cell 1 had just begun to cast some elongated shadows above the Yosemite Valley. This shadow seems to closely match the “dark spot” seen in the sky ahead of her. This is essentially the “birth” of Cell 1. (See “Hiker-Cloud-Extrapolation-1.jpg” attached below).

At 53:10 - Now at camp, and after having explained that a violent wind had come up for a time, causing a scramble to place rocks around the tents to keep them from blowing away J.O. is seen sitting her tent and comments "It’s been a crazy hour…". So if we take her “It’s 4:30…” comment on the trail, then add in the 0.8 mile walking time to camp, plus tent setup time, then the subsequent “crazy hour”, a reasonable estimate of time would put us at no earlier than 6PM.

At 53:31 – J.O. is standing outside her tent filming the sky and surroundings. Though it’s possible it could be just wind on the microphone, there seems to be a very distinct background “rumbling” of distant thunder.

At 54:15 – At an indeterminate time afterwards, J.O. is filming the lake and the gathering storm clouds, and suddenly exclaims “Oooh LIGHTNING…!” and spins the camera quickly to the right, apparently centering on the area where the lightning was just seen (though it wasn’t visible on camera). Then exactly 19.37 seconds later a strong report of thunder is heard, presumably from the lightning seen moments before. This corresponds (with lightning-to-sound distancing formula) to be about 4.2 miles distant. See: Lightning Distance Calculator

The clock time of this last lightning/thunder footage is uncertain but as it is after the “crazy hour” comment which would be no earlier than 6PM (and she’d been filming a few takes of various things in between) we can generally estimate the lightning occurred no earlier than about 6:15PM.

By 5PM, Cell 1 had matured and began moving toward the WSW toward the Gerrish-Chung location, and by 6PM Cell 2, now just getting started, would have taken it’s place along that same ridge line. The 6:15PM frame from the Visible Satellite GIF loop, also indicates the outer edges of storm Cell 2 were easily within a 4 mile range of the lake, indicating that the lightning J.O. saw and heard, was consistent with having come from Cell 2. (See “Hiker-Cloud-Extrapolation-2.jpg” attached below).

Admittedly, this doesn’t add a great deal to what we can already assume were the likely meteorological attributes of Cell 1 and Cell 2 judging by their satellite signatures, but it DOES provide some visual confirmation of their extent and character, and of course, a very DEFINITIVE example that lighting was indeed an active attribute of Cell 2.

--------------------

Finally, and I think THIS IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE - in searching the web for photographic evidence of these storm cells, I easily watched over a hundred videos of many individuals both young and old, and in good shape or not-so-much, that were out hiking trails in and around Yosemite that very day or in the hot days surrounding. It wasn’t uncommon to see videos where 10 or 14-mile hikes were easily undertaken. Some of trails were very hard ones. I saw several people climbing Half Dome on August 15th itself, and they were smiling all the way. VERY FEW – if any - mentioned the heat. Granted, Half Dome and many other park trails are at higher altitudes and thus cooler, but it struck me as significant.

And lastly, I wanted to reiterate that the unusual “stand-alone” reading from El Portal of 109 degrees cannot be confirmed to have been in play on the Savage-Lundy trail. As I outlined in my previous post, with one exception (at 105 degrees just 2 miles from El Portal) the dozen or more available temperature stations in the greater Yosemite area (both at higher AND LOWER elevations than at the bottom of Savage-Lundy) all registered MUCH LOWER temps that day. In the range of 7-10 degrees lower - at max.

(For historic temperature recordings in California see the CDEC Station Locator map at Web Map Viewer and use the “Query Tools” menu link and station ID/date to find historic data).

Yeah, it was HOT that weekend to be sure, but it wasn’t 109 “everywhere”.

Here are my Hiker-Cloud-Extrapolation charts:

Attachments

• Hiker-Cloud-Explanation-1.jpg
    Hiker-Cloud-Explanation-1.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Hiker-Cloud-Explanation-2.jpg
    Hiker-Cloud-Explanation-2.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Apologies for my ignorance but how has it been determined that Jon used the Alltrails app to research the HCTrail when his phone is currently inaccessible? Are you able to track his account without having access to his phone?

I'm pretty sure someone here has mentioned before that JG was a registered user at Alltrails and also has hiked trails recorded there.
There are several other popular hiking trail apps which I checked and including Alltrails, none of them has Hite Cove trail or HC OHV trail listed for hiking.

Sorry, to be more clear, she wasn't posting much else either for about a year. Then suddenly, on the day they die, an empty baby backpack. Just odd timing. Or was it NOT posted to HER account, anyone know?

I think people not posting their kids on social media is a great practice and if she wanted to step back from IG, cool, cool. But in the context of not using it often, a post of an empty baby carrier, then they die that day, hiking, seems a bit eerie, MOO.

I did not see the backpack on her IG account before it was locked. So maybe it was another account? Early articles mentioned it. Maybe it was sent to a friend who spoke to a reporter?
While I'm not familiar with the alleged baby carrier post or EC's IG account, I think it's very much possible that by the time this case was in the news, it could have been a spoofed account. I'm following missing Gabby Petico's case and there have been so many fake profiles pop up for her that IG accidentally took down her true account when deleting spoof pages. It's awful.

I think heat stroke or lightning is likely the reason for their COD.

This is of course valid only on one condition though: they did hike 3 quarters of the loop.

As long as there's irrefutable evidence that they hiked good amount like 4~5 hours or more on that scorching hot day, I don't see any reason to think otherwise.

If it's not conclusive that they were hiking this long enough, then the first thing that comes to my mind is the possibility of homicide or even suicide.

Nothing else checks out given the fact that they were found in the most remote region where hikers rarely dare to go there especially as of late because of the Ferguson fire in 2018.
It also looks lot like a place of hell rather than a desirable hiking trail,
Also the site names given around that region seem really odd to me and that low mountains there may have been originated from something evil.
Devil Gulch, Devil's Peak, and Casa Diablo.
I sense something nasty back in the ancient times with gold mines there.

MOO

IIRC, it was not posted anywhere public, like it was not a public post on her IG. It was simply referenced in various MSM sources. Perhaps it was a locked post, or a post on her private FB, or some other kind of social media post. I personally never saw this image / post anywhere, just verbal references to it.

I was thinking about this yesterday, how a month has passed and how devastating it must continue to be for their families and friends. I hope there are some answers soon for their sake. Not that it changes the outcome in any way, but in my own experience (nothing like this, or even close to this), it helped to "know." (A friend was found dead in their home and there was a lot of speculation, and then it turned out that they had an undiagnosed congenital heart problem.)

I'm pretty sure someone here has mentioned before that JG was a registered user at Alltrails and also has hiked trails recorded there.
There are several other popular hiking trail apps which I checked and including Alltrails, none of them has Hite Cove trail or HC OHV trail listed for hiking.
Thank you for that information. I know that Jon used Alltrails and had some knowledge of the HC Trail over a year ago. I don’t think that suggests he was intending to go there on that particular day. I must have misunderstood the media comments when they reported he had been previously researching the trail. It gave the impression he had done so recently. MOO

Thank you for that information. I know that Jon used Alltrails and had some knowledge of the HC Trail over a year ago. I don’t think that suggests he was intending to go there on that particular day. I must have misunderstood the media comments when they reported he had been previously researching the trail. It gave the impression he had done so recently. MOO

You’re right, the media did report that the prior day (Aug 14?) JG had researched “a hike at Hites Cove”.
I can’t access the SFchronicle link but here is another that mentions his research the day before they set out:
Trails and Campgrounds Close Near Yosemite Where Family and Dog Died

I found some VIDEO & AUDIO evidence of Storm Cells #1 and #2 on August 15th, 2021. So this is “An Appendix” to my initial post containing the 5 satellite weather GIFs. If you missed that post, here it is.

(Sincere apologies if my posts are so “long-winded” but if one submits anything “evidentiary” I feel it’s vitally important to document it as thoroughly and succinctly as possible.)

And BTW, please note, my focus in investigating the weather is not to push or promote the “Lightning as a COD” theory one way or the other. I’m just trying to uncover some factual insights about the weather conditions that day to clarify what WAS or WASN’T within the realm of “likely” when it comes to those 2 storm cells, and by proxy, the effect they may have had on on the ground conditions and temperature as well.

----------------------

So… I spent most of yesterday obsessively trying to find some photographic or video evidence of the storm cells that passed over the Gerrish-Chung location that day. You’d think, in this digital age, especially in an area as well visited as Yosemite, that certainly SOMEBODY would have snapped a picture or briefly panned video past the area of sky in question. Nope. Nada. “Dude, point your camera at the sky for a moment please!” Uuuugh. So frustrating.

Anyway, after a solid day of sifting the internet and scrubbing through perhaps hundreds of YouTube videos – and just as I was about to give up - I finally hit some pay dirt.

--------------------

On August 2nd, 2021 a young woman (I’ll address by her initials - “J.O.” - for digital anonymity), set out with a group of friends to hike the John Muir Trail from the south (Mt. Whitney area) to the north (ending at Yosemite). This is a popular hike that takes about two weeks. She video-taped the entire journey for a vlog and it runs just over 73 minutes.

Though each day only opens with a “DAY XX” caption (rather than a calendar date), in her intro “Day 1” was definitively identified to be August 2nd, 2021, making the film’s “Day 14” August 15th, 2021.

What follows is a time-stamped run down of the sections that relate to the storm cells.

(NOTE: AS the WS TOS specifically requires that any statements presented as “fact” be backed up with evidence, I’ve attached two graphics at the bottom of this post that chronicle the technical methods by which I extrapolated my certainty that the cloud formations in the video are indeed Cell 1 and Cell 2 on the day in question.)

Pertinent Time Stamps:

At 49:37 - The day opens with the caption “Day 14” (by “trip day” extrapolation, August 15, 2021).

At 52:00 - J.O. is hiking 0.8 miles east of that night’s intended camp destination at “1000 Island Lake”. She’s facing almost due west. Both a caption and her narration identify the lake by name. This lake is 19 miles east of Half Dome in Yosemite Valley at a heading 95 degrees. In front of her, the southern edge of the lake can be seen, and above it a gathering of dark clouds, with a particularly dark knot in the clouds being most evident. This dark area is clearly the beginnings of Cell 1’s build-up, because…

At 52:15 - she says “It’s 4:30, we made great time…” This welcome auditory time stamp, when referenced with the 4:30PM image frame of the Visible Satellite GIF loop, indicates that storm Cell 1 had just begun to cast some elongated shadows above the Yosemite Valley. This shadow seems to closely match the “dark spot” seen in the sky ahead of her. This is essentially the “birth” of Cell 1. (See “Hiker-Cloud-Extrapolation-1.jpg” attached below).

At 53:10 - Now at camp, and after having explained that a violent wind had come up for a time, causing a scramble to place rocks around the tents to keep them from blowing away J.O. is seen sitting her tent and comments "It’s been a crazy hour…". So if we take her “It’s 4:30…” comment on the trail, then add in the 0.8 mile walking time to camp, plus tent setup time, then the subsequent “crazy hour”, a reasonable estimate of time would put us at no earlier than 6PM.

At 53:31 – J.O. is standing outside her tent filming the sky and surroundings. Though it’s possible it could be just wind on the microphone, there seems to be a very distinct background “rumbling” of distant thunder.

At 54:15 – At an indeterminate time afterwards, J.O. is filming the lake and the gathering storm clouds, and suddenly exclaims “Oooh LIGHTNING…!” and spins the camera quickly to the right, apparently centering on the area where the lightning was just seen (though it wasn’t visible on camera). Then exactly 19.37 seconds later a strong report of thunder is heard, presumably from the lightning seen moments before. This corresponds (with lightning-to-sound distancing formula) to be about 4.2 miles distant. See: Lightning Distance Calculator

The clock time of this last lightning/thunder footage is uncertain but as it is after the “crazy hour” comment which would be no earlier than 6PM (and she’d been filming a few takes of various things in between) we can generally estimate the lightning occurred no earlier than about 6:15PM.

By 5PM, Cell 1 had matured and began moving toward the WSW toward the Gerrish-Chung location, and by 6PM Cell 2, now just getting started, would have taken it’s place along that same ridge line. The 6:15PM frame from the Visible Satellite GIF loop, also indicates the outer edges of storm Cell 2 were easily within a 4 mile range of the lake, indicating that the lightning J.O. saw and heard, was consistent with having come from Cell 2. (See “Hiker-Cloud-Extrapolation-2.jpg” attached below).

Admittedly, this doesn’t add a great deal to what we can already assume were the likely meteorological attributes of Cell 1 and Cell 2 judging by their satellite signatures, but it DOES provide some visual confirmation of their extent and character, and of course, a very DEFINITIVE example that lighting was indeed an active attribute of Cell 2.

--------------------

Finally, and I think THIS IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE - in searching the web for photographic evidence of these storm cells, I easily watched over a hundred videos of many individuals both young and old, and in good shape or not-so-much, that were out hiking trails in and around Yosemite that very day or in the hot days surrounding. It wasn’t uncommon to see videos where 10 or 14-mile hikes were easily undertaken. Some of trails were very hard ones. I saw several people climbing Half Dome on August 15th itself, and they were smiling all the way. VERY FEW – if any - mentioned the heat. Granted, Half Dome and many other park trails are at higher altitudes and thus cooler, but it struck me as significant.

And lastly, I wanted to reiterate that the unusual “stand-alone” reading from El Portal of 109 degrees cannot be confirmed to have been in play on the Savage-Lundy trail. As I outlined in my previous post, with one exception (at 105 degrees just 2 miles from El Portal) the dozen or more available temperature stations in the greater Yosemite area (both at higher AND LOWER elevations than at the bottom of Savage-Lundy) all registered MUCH LOWER temps that day. In the range of 7-10 degrees lower - at max.

(For historic temperature recordings in California see the CDEC Station Locator map at Web Map Viewer and use the “Query Tools” menu link and station ID/date to find historic data).

Super -sleuthing !

MOO but don’t the investigators have access to his phone? That’s what I thought anyway. MOO
If they have access to his phone why haven’t they informed the press what they have discovered? He worked for both Google and, latterly, Snapchat. I think there would be a lot of relevant information on his phone and his laptop. Everyone is looking for COD not many seem to be considering the persons involved. There is very little information about them as individuals.

If they have access to his phone why haven’t they informed the press what they have discovered? He worked for both Google and, latterly, Snapchat. I think there would be a lot of relevant information on his phone and his laptop. Everyone is looking for COD not many seem to be considering the persons involved. There is very little information about them as individuals.

MOO I think it’s pretty common that the police hold back info from the press until they are ready. I’d love to hear from a verified member in the area of crime enforcement on this if it’s allowed. I don’t know their reasons but if you Google “why doesn't the police release details to the press" you can find a lot of theories. MOO

MOO I think it’s pretty common that the police hold back info from the press until they are ready. I’d love to hear from a verified member in the area of crime enforcement on this if it’s allowed. I don’t know their reasons but if you Google “why doesn't the police release details to the press" you can find a lot of theories. MOO
Surprising how GOOGLE knows everything l!

----------------------

--------------------

Pertinent Time Stamps:

--------------------

You are very good at this research thing! Thanks so much for your efforts.
(I'm a weather geek.)
Welcome to Websleuths!

I thought about that.

I don't think it occurs to most people to call police, they just assume it's one of life's many snafu's.

"Maybe they forgot to let me know their change of plan.

"Or, maybe they're coming back from somewhere and caught in traffic/running late.

"Or, worst case, maybe they had to go to the hospital and are too preoccupied to contact me.

"I better wait and not make things worse for them by calling police, Police will get really mad at me if I waste their time".
I agree with your thought processes but if, as we are informed, the ‘hike’ was relatively close, why didn’t they drive to the trail just to check? I would do that before alerting authorities.

I’m curious about what type of carrier they had, because that would affect things like 1) how much of the dad’s body heat the baby was exposed to and 2) the decision to put the carrier on the ground with the baby still in it. LE called it a “kangaroo bag” and said it was not attached to the dad, which makes it sound unstructured. IMO, that would make the picture even stranger (if it was just a shot of a floppy kangaroo bag instead of a structured carrier).

A "kangaroo bag" immediately makes me think some kind of 'pouch' and that the baby would be carried infront of the parent, as opposed to behind. I wonder if the baby carrier was almost like a papoose/sling, but those types are usually wrapped and entwined around both the baby and the parent's body to hold baby in place.
I'd imagine something unstructured in design like that would allow for more heat transfer between parent and baby and vice versa.

MOO

Who actually saw the backpack online? I’ve never seen it nor has anyone I’m in contact with online or personally. If there was a pic of a backpack why is it not still available? Maybe the pic is not the same one as was found with the family? MOO

Yes, generally LE does not reveal many details during an active investigation. I don't think we will know what the FBI discovered on their phones and SM accounts until they release the COD, other than the search that was done before the hike. There may not even be anything significant to be found. IMO

I think this thread is degenerating again into speculation of "how and why" they were even on the trail that day - it is inconceivable and so on. The fact is - they were there on that trail and there is no evidence pointing to anyone or anything forcing them to be there. So it is fair to assume they were there out of their own free will for reasons only known to them. MOO
In that case there is little point speculating on ‘how’ they actually died because nobody has all the facts yet. It is as valid to consider why they would choose to do the trail as it is to consider the COD. All is speculation based on hearsay and media reports. The fact that they were discovered deceased following what was ostensibly a ‘normal’ outing is indicative of suspicious circumstances. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member