CA - Jonathan Gerrish, Ellen Chung, daughter, 1 & dog, suspicious death hiking area, Aug 2021 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
A repeat: Runner Philip Kreycik's COD as Heat-Related was assisted by his sport watch which tracked his gait and heart-rate. His gait confirmed HS, after autopsy/toxicology process of elimination.
Just correcting 3 points above: 1) the watch did not track heart rate, 2) they suspected heatstroke as COD before toxicology results and autopsy results were available; both were still pending as of the last update on Aug. 27 and have not been released, 3) Heatstroke was never officially confirmed, COD is “undetermined.”

All quotes from this article: GPS Data From Philip Kreycik's Smart Watch Indicates He Likely Succumbed Quickly to Heat

At the time COD as heat stroke was suspected, “Results of a toxicology report on Kreycik are still pending.”

“Some experts in this field looked at the data and explained to us that it’s very possible that he had a heat stroke-related incident,” says sheriff's spokesperson Sgt. Ray Kelly, speaking to the Chronicle.”

“The watch was not monitoring Kreycik's heart rate, so no exact time of death is available. But the circuitous route he took after departing the trail indicates that he may have succumbed to heat stroke and experienced some delirium before his ultimate death.”

Kreycik’s cause and manner of death is still officially “undetermined,” though heat is suspected. Per Sgt. Kelly in a separate Aug. 25 article: "it's very likely [the cause and manner of death] could be determined (as) undetermined." Authorities: Philip Kreycik likely died on Pleasanton Ridge before search effort began

Last edited:
Will they ultimately just decide it was the heat by process of eliminating everything else?

But if they do that, they'll have to explain how both adults were apparently disabled by heat stroke at the same time. Logically, the much heavier and stockier husband should have been affected much sooner than the skinnier, lighter wife; which would have give her time to proceed much further up the trail.

If you use Google Earth you can see all the routes for yourself. (Caveat: the images are before the 2018 fire, which burned the brush and many trees) The Hites Cove OHV rd descends to the river and runs along the south bank to Hite Cove. That part along the river looks flat and easy going. Between Hite Cove and Hwy 120 is the Hite Cove Trail, which runs along the north side of the South Fork Merced River. That has a lot of up and down, less steep than the Savage Lundy, but that up and down adds up. It's pretty exposed to the sun too. So I'd say it's easier, but a lot longer, and if you persisted in hiking it in the same heat, you wouldn't survive. The big advantage is with access to the river you would hopefully stop hiking and make use of it to cool and hydrate. Here's a photo of the Hite Cove area, showing the OHV rd and the trail going to hwy 120. I rotated and tilted the view, so west is at top.

I have to agree with you on your post. My final comments on here based on everything I have read: MOO
The sherrif’s department will tell us that the cause of death is heatstroke/dehydration. The toxicology reports will all come back negative.
Jon and Ellen researched the area and decided to go on a hike of around 8.5 miles on Sunday morning with their beautiful daughter and dog. They made a gross miscalculation in what the hike would entail and continued ever onward in the increasing heat.
Jonathan was overcome with exhaustion first after having carried Oski and Miju for several miles. Placing the baby in her backpack, and the dog, on the ground to provide them with some shade, he also sat down on the Savage Lundy Trail just a mile and a half from their vehicle.
Ellen set off to try and get back to the car but was also overcome and fainted with exhaustion, ultimately dying where she lay.
Without immediate help, no shade and in the full glare of the raging afternoon sun, they all eventually breathed their last. Without any headwear they couldn’t protect themselves from the blazing midday sun and 2litres of water was insufficient to keep them hydrated.
Ellen couldn’t have got into the car anyway (because their keys were found further down the trail) and that had delayed their planned trip in searching for them.
An inquest will not be necessary because foul play has not been considered. And it won’t be possible to have a second autopsy (if requested by the family) because the bodies were cremated weeks ago. ALL MOO
Credit given to all the sleuthers who provided the answers to this tragic event.

I wonder why it is so difficult for them to definitively determine the cause of death? I realize they have stated what it ISN'T, but no clue as to what it is. Will they ultimately just decide it was the heat by process of eliminating everything else?
Yes IMO

But if they do that, they'll have to explain how both adults were apparently disabled by heat stroke at the same time. Logically, the much heavier and stockier husband should have been affected much sooner than the skinnier, lighter wife; which would have give her time to proceed much further up the trail.
It wouldn’t have necessarily been at the same time. If the husband died first the wife could have already been suffering from heat exhaustion. She could have been confused, overwhelmed, and distraught.

It’s possible she did not want to leave the baby but was unable to carry her.

She could have spent time there thinking the best thing to do would be to wait for help, maybe realizing that no one was coming and then she started to walk away.

Since the bodies were out in the extreme heat for hours before being discovered it is quite possible that an accurate timeline of the time each person died will never be known.

MOO

Just correcting 3 points above: 1) the watch did not track heart rate, 2) they suspected heatstroke as COD before toxicology results and autopsy results were available; both were still pending as of the last update on Aug. 27 and have not been released, 3) Heatstroke was never officially confirmed, COD is “undetermined.”

All quotes from this article: GPS Data From Philip Kreycik's Smart Watch Indicates He Likely Succumbed Quickly to Heat

At the time COD as heat stroke was suspected, “Results of a toxicology report on Kreycik are still pending.”

“Some experts in this field looked at the data and explained to us that it’s very possible that he had a heat stroke-related incident,” says sheriff's spokesperson Sgt. Ray Kelly, speaking to the Chronicle.”

“The watch was not monitoring Kreycik's heart rate, so no exact time of death is available. But the circuitous route he took after departing the trail indicates that he may have succumbed to heat stroke and experienced some delirium before his ultimate death.”

Kreycik’s cause and manner of death is still officially “undetermined,” though heat is suspected. Per Sgt. Kelly in a separate Aug. 25 article: "it's very likely [the cause and manner of death] could be determined (as) undetermined." Authorities: Philip Kreycik likely died on Pleasanton Ridge before search effort began

Thank goodness, @NSamuelle is on the case. I apologize for my mistakes of memory. My only defense is that for all practical purposes, and I can imagine from Kreycik's family's perspective, the talented runner died of heat stroke. I doubt there are many who believe PK's COD is truly unsolved.

Last edited:
I am sure investigators are doing their due diligence. The families will want to know that a thorough investigation was conducted with every possible option explored.

But in the end I feel that the conclusion will be that they died of heatstroke. A very tragic situation of death by misadventure, miscalculation, or misinformation.

Several of us have posted personal experiences admitting that we have made poor decisions that resulted in close calls that could have been deadly. So many hikers have miscalculated distance, temperatures (both heat and cold) routes, or ability and have had close calls.

If one thing had gone differently perhaps this family would have survived with a cautionary tale to tell. Another group of hikers passing by with extra water and clear thinking could have realized the family was in trouble and either assisted them to safety or tended to them while help was summoned. Or the family themselves could have realized they had miscalculated or overestimated and turned back while they were still able to

No blaming here at all because I will be the first to admit that I have made poor decisions that could have resulted in tragedy. And I have also been involved with several outdoor rescues, although more were hypothermia related than heat.

I have to agree with you on your post. My final comments on here based on everything I have read: MOO
The sherrif’s department will tell us that the cause of death is heatstroke/dehydration. The toxicology reports will all come back negative.
Jon and Ellen researched the area and decided to go on a hike of around 8.5 miles on Sunday morning with their beautiful daughter and dog. They made a gross miscalculation in what the hike would entail and continued ever onward in the increasing heat.
Jonathan was overcome with exhaustion first after having carried Oski and Miju for several miles. Placing the baby in her backpack, and the dog, on the ground to provide them with some shade, he also sat down on the Savage Lundy Trail just a mile and a half from their vehicle.
Ellen set off to try and get back to the car but was also overcome and fainted with exhaustion, ultimately dying where she lay.
Without immediate help, no shade and in the full glare of the raging afternoon sun, they all eventually breathed their last. Without any headwear they couldn’t protect themselves from the blazing midday sun and 2litres of water was insufficient to keep them hydrated.
Ellen couldn’t have got into the car anyway (because their keys were found further down the trail) and that had delayed their planned trip in searching for them.
An inquest will not be necessary because foul play has not been considered. And it won’t be possible to have a second autopsy (if requested by the family) because the bodies were cremated weeks ago. ALL MOO
Credit given to all the sleuthers who provided the answers to this tragic event.

@Pumphouse363 - We'll see if you are correct when the announcement comes. What you outline is perfectly plausible, imo. The detail about the keys, if correct, is heartrending and points to HS-related confusion, imo. I hope you've found some comfort in the various offerings here. I know I feel the case makes far more sense than it did when I first came on. I've learned so very much. If smart people are dying from HS, we should all be more careful.

Thank you for sharing that. This is a great tragedy. I wish this hadn’t happened.

I know this is your theory and respect your ideas, but regarding this section:

“An inquest will not be necessary because foul play has not been considered. And it won’t be possible to have a second autopsy (if requested by the family) because the bodies were cremated weeks ago. ”

Sheriff Briese initially announced they approached this as a homicide investigation.

Cases have to meet certain requirements in order for an inquest to be deemed necessary. I don’t know if that would be possible in this case.

The next of kin could have requested, and had, second, private autopsies performed. Or have the initial results reviewed.

The next of kin make the decision for how the remains are taken care of once they have been released from the ME or coroner’s office. If a cremation has taken place, it was authorized by the next of kin.

In my experience and my view. Link for information: Things To Know - Autopsy 101 | Post Mortem | FRONTLINE | PBS

Very sorry for this tremendous loss of such a lovely family.

RSBM

Is there a source for the fact that the keys were found further down the trail? I must have missed that news!

IMO, if toxicology does not provide a COD, I think it will remain “undetermined” with heatstroke suspected but not officially confirmed, as with Kreycik.
Yes, that's what this article says about Kreycik, "The coroner may never be able to determine an official cause of death, the Sheriff’s Office said. But investigators are almost certain that the runner suffered from a heat-related medical emergency, such as severe heatstroke." Could well be how this case ends up too.

Mariposa County investigators will end the mystery of how a family and their dog died together on a remote hiking trail when they announce their causes of death Thursday.

The Mariposa County Sheriff’s Office said Wednesday it will hold a news conference “regarding the cause of death and final investigative update on the Gerrish/Chung case.”

What if Jon guessed that their new home road led to the end of Hites Cove Trail? He remembers the HCT trailhead on 140 and hiking it four years ago and assumes/guesses it leads to Hites Cove Road eventually. (which it does if you know your way, know how long and hard a hike it is, or have a good map.) So they pick up HCT OHV at the end of their own street, thinking they are on a trail resembling the Hites Cove Trail Jon hiked four years ago. Trouble is, HCT OHV is no HCT. But they wouldn't know that as they begin walking down to the river.

They never intended to hike to 140. The idea was a kind of trail that seemed doable and pleasant. Like the trail of 4 years ago.

I know, I know, you all argue Jon is fully familiar with the area. I just don't take that for granted. I believe there are plenty of reasons why this hike was a get-to-know-the-new-neighborhood event that went horribly wrong.

Also, the fire had not taken out all the tree cover 4 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa