CONVICTION OVERTURNED CA - Kathryn 'Kate' Steinle, 32, fatally shot, Pier 14, San Francisco, 1 July 2015

no the whole incident was used as a political platform and SF was castigated by ppl. I believe it made it difficult to find an impartial jury there. but enough about that. its not the place.

Political posturing by the jury?

could someone please explain to me why this guy did not get convicted of the involuntary manslaughter? I get that he may not have meant to kill anyone but they gave the jury the manslaughter option if they felt the DA couldnt prove the other charges...geesh

I am as horrified as others about this verdict.

On your question about involuntary manslaughter, I believe there was testimony that the gun went off easily and it was said he dropped the gun and it ricocheted off the ground and hit her.

I think he was guilty of more and should be held responsible but I think we have to give the jury the benefit of the doubt in terms of their process and the evidence they saw. It does break my heart to write that though.

It is just as awful to have people saying that these jurors are x or y. This is why we have jury trials to give them the opportunity to listen to all and come to their conclusions just as in so many other cases. The comment and frustration should be laid at the feet of the prosecutors.

This verdict was nothing but a political referendum much like the OJ verdict. Sickening miscarriage of justice. As a former prosecutor I am appalled. This is the result of sanctuary cities. This is what happens when states fail to protect their citizens. Shameful. Hopefully this administration actually DOES something about this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Juries don't always look at the evidence presented and go for the foregone conclusion of the community or prosecutors. The prosecutors had to prove their case better. Just as in OJ, Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin and others, there are some who believe that emotional or political opinions should count toward the verdict. It doesn't. These people sat and listened to the evidence and took the instructions to heart. We can be angry at the actions of this man but to take it out on the jury is inappropriate. JMHO.

So, I read that the bullet was said to have ricocheted off pavement/concrete and then hit Kate. What evidence suggested that?

Hole in the concrete and trajectory of the bullet.

This verdict was nothing but a political referendum much like the OJ verdict. Sickening miscarriage of justice. As a former prosecutor I am appalled. This is the result of sanctuary cities. This is what happens when states fail to protect their citizens. Shameful. Hopefully this administration actually DOES something about this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You totally nailed it! Jury was making a political statement. I wonder how they are sleeping.

Juries don't always look at the evidence presented and go for the foregone conclusion of the community or prosecutors. The prosecutors had to prove their case better. Just as in OJ, Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin and others, there are some who believe that emotional or political opinions should count toward the verdict. It doesn't. These people sat and listened to the evidence and took the instructions to heart. We can be angry at the actions of this man but to take it out on the jury is inappropriate. JMHO.

I don't agree. Juries are suppose to fulfill their duty to consider the facts, (all of them), to leave politics out of their decision. In this case I do not believe they did this.

I don't agree. Juries are suppose to fulfill their duty to consider the facts, (all of them), to leave politics out of their decision. In this case I do not believe they did this.

The jury may have considered all of the facts before them. You are assuming that they were politically motivated. You may believe what you believe---I support that. That said, it is not appropriate to denigrate them for doing their civic duty because you and I don't like the outcome. We can be horrified. I believe it is wrong to do what many are doing on this thread referring to a group of people as though they were not capable of doing their job. The prosecution didn't do their job and give them facts that they could hold on to. JMHO.

Yeah, deport him out so he can come back in... AGAIN! This has to stop! I don't have a problem with immigration at all. But there are legal ways to come here. And there are laws of this country that must be abided by. Those that chose to ignore all laws do not need to be here. Same for citizens of this country! If citizens can't abide by the laws, they are welcome to sit in a prison cell for the rest of their lives.

I didn't follow this case closely, nor did I see any of the trial and what evidence the jury had to base their verdict on. I'm sickened that lady was murdered through no fault at all of her own! She was out with her daddy. Some illegal, non caring, non law abiding man thinks he is entitled to be here! No. Put him in federal prison until he rots. Sending him back will do no good. He'll be released there, and right back in the states in no time. Probably committing more crimes.

As for these sanctuary cities... stop all funding to them, and start arresting those in positions that are allowing this! Either they abide by the federal laws, or they can sit in a prison as well. If we say one group of people can ignore the laws, then what does that say to the next group? That they don't have to abide by them either. Not good.

no the whole incident was used as a political platform and SF was castigated by ppl. I believe it made it difficult to find an impartial jury there. but enough about that. its not the place.

Exactly. Had there not been an attempt to scapegoat an entire demographic due to the actions of one criminal, this woman's family may very well had justice. This woman's murder wound up being an afterthought of a much larger agenda, and it backfired. This poor family.

Exactly. Had there not been an attempt to scapegoat an entire demographic due to the actions of one criminal, this woman's family may very well had justice. This woman's murder wound up being an afterthought of a much larger agenda, and it backfired. This poor family.

I think the jury bought defense argument that the gun went off after he found it.

Yeah, deport him out so he can come back in... AGAIN! This has to stop! I don't have a problem with immigration at all. But there are legal ways to come here. And there are laws of this country that must be abided by. Those that chose to ignore all laws do not need to be here. Same for citizens of this country! If citizens can't abide by the laws, they are welcome to sit in a prison cell for the rest of their lives.

I didn't follow this case closely, nor did I see any of the trial and what evidence the jury had to base their verdict on. I'm sickened that lady was murdered through no fault at all of her own! She was out with her daddy. Some illegal, non caring, non law abiding man thinks he is entitled to be here! No. Put him in federal prison until he rots. Sending him back will do no good. He'll be released there, and right back in the states in no time. Probably committing more crimes.

As for these sanctuary cities... stop all funding to them, and start arresting those in positions that are allowing this! Either they abide by the federal laws, or they can sit in a prison as well. If we say one group of people can ignore the laws, then what does that say to the next group? That they don't have to abide by them either. Not good.

PERFECTION! You said everything I have thought about over and over and over again for years and I believe it’s the reason we have a republican president right now. People do NOT want sanctuary cities for this very reason and these illegals have so many repeated entries and offenses. Stop the funding! It is beyond ridiculous that it has been allowed to continue

seems like a case for criminally negligent homicide would have or could be easy to prove here
...why did they go for a murder charge?

where would this guy who cannot put 3 words together to make a sentence get a federal agent's gun ? and what was the deal about the reporters getting attacked by rival reporters that drove off in a BMW ? I am not a conspiracy theorist but something sure is odd about this entire ordeal. Mr Sanchez keeps saying he was going to shoot seals and that he found the gun wrapped in a fluffy t-shirt. He did say that repeatedly and that was about the only thing he kept repeating other than he took some sort of drink that knocked him out.

It's not against the law to shoot seals??? He found a gun in a 'fluffy' t-shirt and only meant to shoot a few......seals.
The sad part is some people would be more upset about the seals.

You totally nailed it! Jury was making a political statement. I wonder how they are sleeping.

Exactly. Shameful. So it's "okay" to murder someone because basically 1. the gun 'had a mind of its own' and went off easily 2. then ricocheted off the concrete 3. if you find it in a 'fluffy' t-shirt........it's just not your fault someone died from your choices. They asked for it by catching the bullet.

What if it was their child murdered? Her poor family, the anguish they must be going through....again.

so let me try to understand this, if you are a driver in a bank robbery and your partner in the bank shoots and kills someone, you the driver are also charged with murder because you were part of the felony crime committed. This guy was in possession of an illegal firearm plus he's an illegal, both of which are felonies and yet he gets off scott free for killing this woman because the firearm he shouldn't have went off accidentally in a place he had no right to be in. SMDH.....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back