CA CA - Kern Co., UncFemale, 18-30, UP56937, found in shallow grave near Hwy 178, poss. name "Linda," Dec '69

citizen_sleuth

Verified family member - Orie Donald Esh thread
Reaction score
NamUs #UP56937

Demographics
Sex: Female
Race/Ethnicity: White / Caucasian
Estimated Age Group: Adult - Pre 30
Estimated Age Range (Years): 18-30
Estimated Year of Death: N/A
Estimated PMI: N/A
Height: Cannot Estimate
Weight: Cannot Estimate
Cause of Death: Probable homicide

Circumstances
Type: Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found: December 29, 1969
NamUs Case Created: April 25, 2019
ME/C QA Reviewed: N/A
Location Found: Randsburg, California
County: Kern County
Circumstances of Recovery: On December 29, 1969, a man and his two grandchildren target shooting in the Mojave Desert discovered human remains near a shallow grave. Police said they believed the body had originally been buried, but that the remains were likely disturbed by animal activity. The body was found two miles west of Highway 14 and 100 yards south of Highway 178.

A woman told officers that in September 1969, she was present when a 19-year-old woman she knew only as "Linda" was beaten to death and buried in a shallow grave near Ridgecrest. The woman claimed that the murder was connected to a motorcycle gang in Garden Grove. Kern County deputies said that the body found fit the description of "Linda." Based on the woman's testimony, Los Angeles authorities traveled to Bakersfield to try and identify the victim and verify the woman's story.
Inventory of Remains: N/A
Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only

Physical Description
Hair Color: Unknown
Head Hair Description: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinctive Physical Features: No information entered

Clothing and Accessories
- No information entered

News Coverage
"Body is Found Near Shallow Desert Grave," Fresno Bee, 30 December 1969, 8B.
Body is Found Near Shallow Desert Grave_.jpg
The badly decomposed body of a girl, believed to be in her 20s, was discovered in the Mojave Desert by a Torrance man and his grandchildren and Kern County deputies say they believe the remains are those of a Los Angeles area murder victim.

Los Angeles County detectives were to arrive in Bakersfield today to confirm the identification. They searched the area a month ago for the body but found nothing. Officers declined to release further information pending the arrival of Los Angeles authorities.

[...]

Officers said the remains were found near a shallow grave and it appeared animals pulled the body from the grave.

"Body Discovered In Desert May Be Gang Victim," San Bernardino County Sun, 1 January 1970, F5.
Body Discovered In Desert May Be Gang Victim_.jpg
The decomposed body of a girl found in the Mojave Desert earlier this week fits the description of a girl reportedly killed last September by a motorcycle gang in Garden Grove, the Kern County coroner's office said yesterday.

Laura Seago, 20, of Garden Grove, told officers she was present when a 19-year-old girl named "Linda" was beaten to death and buried in a shallow grave in the desert near Ridgecrest.

Miss Seago said she did not know the last name of the victim.

Could it be Linda Peugeot? she disappeared in September 1969:

I also forgot to mention Linda Mary Garrison, who disappeared on November 19, 1968 in Sumner, Washington at age 19:

I also forgot to mention Linda Mary Garrison, who disappeared on November 19, 1968 in Sumner, Washington at age 19:

!!! This lines up almost perfect.
It looks like they're working off that one woman's confession, of the Linda murder in September 1968. She could be off by a couple of months.
If she's involved with motorcycle gangs, jumping state to state is pretty likely.

Found this girl, Linda Sue Sandel, missing since June 1967. She was 17, 19 in 1969.

Couldn't find a follow up, but her last known location is close to the the areas mentioned in the articles posted above.

Linda Sue Sandel - Newspapers.com

View attachment 392117
ETA: Spelling
A Linda Sue Sandel was married in Apr 1968 in Washington state to ALT, though I'm not sure it's the same person. I can't find any records of her after that. Higher quality photo from Mountlake Terrace HS, 1967-1968- school year. ALT married again in 1973.

Screen Shot 2023-01-03 at 6.55.17 PM.png

Last edited:

Linda seems like a really strong possibility, though there's not much about her out there.

Her websleuths article

The other possible match I could find is Madeline Anna Babcock, who went missing from Los Angeles in 1968. Her nickname is Lynn, which isn't exactly Linda but close enough for a mention.

1672857041323.png

She had an apartment in Venice that she left behind and had memory issues due to a medical condition. Biggest issue is that she was 35 at the time of her disappearance, which is on the higher range of this UP's age range.

Here is Linda Mary Garrison's thread:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RyanO9600
Back