CA CA - Kerry Patterson, 15, Kidnapped and Murdered, Fullerton,1980

Iameven

Reaction score
The Patterson family moved to a new home in a recently developed Fullerton neighborhood in early summer of June 1980. On June 26th, after living in the new home for about two weeks, 15 year old Kerry went to a local ice cream parlor with friends. A short time later, Kerry rode home on the handlebars of one of the friends. The friend dropped her off on the corner of Parks Rd and Peacock Lane, which was said to be within viewing distance of her home. Kerry did not make it home and was missing for 6 months before her skeletal remains were discovered in nearby Tonner Canyon behind the Brea Mall. Kerry’s mother struggled to convince Fullerton Police that her daughter as not a runaway. Kerry’s mother had contacted the coroner herself to complete the match of the skeletal remains after she saw a small article of the unidentifiable remains in the local paper. The case has been cold for many years and is now being examined again as described in the Orange County Register:OC Sheriff’s Cold Case Task Force asks for help in 1980 death of teenage girl – Orange County Register

Something about this article just has grabbed at me since I first read about in 2019 when the article above was published.

All of this would have happened in an active neighborhood in broad daylight ...it’s summer so many kids around..and yet it sounds like little has been brought forward, which is perhaps part of what is so troubling. Also, the proximity of where she was dropped off and where her remains were eventually discovered...it is very troubling as it is all so close and yet nothing has been brought forward..When I read about this case I get that feeling like when something is on the tip of your tongue but you can’t quite put your finger on it...I can only imagine how her family must feel.
My thoughts go back to the neighborhood being new and the possibility of an evil opportunity presenting itself to someone working in the neighborhood that day....

I hope the person who claimed to have biked her home was investigated.

I live close to the area and here are my observations ...the neighborhood is active with people on bikes, walking dogs, ect. As park and trails right there. Walkable. Horse stables very close within .5 miles and right next to the street. Houses are very close together in the neighborhood.
Google Maps
Still a well kept neighborhood and active. Very close to large Edward White Park. Streets are culdesacs without through traffic. Drop off would have been within two to three homes. Not a busy cross street other than travel to homes.

After going over the areas and paths, my thinking is that the friends to last see her were not likely involved. The story about dropping Kerry off makes sense based on the area and directions. The ride back is flat/downhill. It’s less than 10 minutes to bike and Peacock street is set just right off Parks Road. The houses are positioned a bit up so if you stop and let someone off your bike on the corner then you wouldn’t see them enter their house but it’s so close it wouldn’t be a walk.

Another thought is that the area of the remains would require a car to transport. Traveling by bike to explore would be too far and hot as average temp would be in the 80s.

That’s assuming the friend’s story was investigated and held up under investigation. If the friend was involved then they would have likely needed someone with a car.

My gut says likely scenarios could be a possibility 1) If no screams or disturbance was reported then my thought would be that Kerry interacted with someone she knew and would feel comfortable going somewhere with. A-This person or persons would possibly have offered her a ride somewhere-maybe to the mall -that would be an attractive option for a teen girl and would explain the proximity of her remains as well. B-Maybe a neighbor invited her into their home and this led to her killing. Since it was summer, I wonder if anyone was visiting relatives, older boy home from college, maybe? Since Kerry had been living there less than two weeks, it would seem again that a neighbor inviting her in and her accepting would be unlikely unless there was a prior connection.

2nd scenario possibly would be an opportunity taken by an outside predator. It could be someone working in the neighborhood that was watching and saw her alone. The person would have taken her by force as I can’t see why a teen would get into a vehicle willingly in this scenario. Either the person was able to quickly subdue and snatch or possibly a disturbance was heard. Likely she would have fought in this scenario. The vehicle would need to leave quickly. The reason I think of this scenario is the newness of the neighborhood and the amount of people doing work in the area. Work vans, trucks ect would not have been as out of place and more frequent. Even now there are gardners , delivery ect The path to travel from her home to Tonner Canyon is remote but near enough for a predator to get there and then leave quickly right off the freeway. It would place them likely to be heading towards LA County. This would suggest that the person is not from the neighborhood.

I’m wondering if anyone noticed deviations in routines during that time...was anyone in that neighborhood suddenly looking to move, did they leave, quit their job ect?

However, each of these scenarios have many possibilities and are still working theories without enough to say for sure....I really hope that those that were living in the area or were working there come forward with more. I also hope that if anyone, even the friends to last see Kerry, do have information that they have the courage to share with authorities. I could see how someone would be hesitant to get involved, but it matters to bring closure and to help provide any insight on a direction to investigate further. It’s just unbelievable to think that no one knows more.

Thank you for your support on this post. I’m continuing to research this and share information.

I thought more about the oil derrick in Brea where Kerry’s remains were discovered as mentioned in the above article.

It was 6 months later and it sounds like there was little at the site except scattered remains.

There’s no mention of personal items and it sounds like Kerry was probably not buried as scattering is described.

My thought is now on how often were the derricks being serviced? Was it always the same person going out to the site of this oil derrick ?

Was this area accessible to someone just passing by or was it fenced off? Nowadays many , if not all, derricks in Brea are fenced off. Again could be the skull and remains were beyond any existing fences.

This part of the article above shows more about how little is known as they describe the discovery of Kerry’s remains:
“The skull rolled down an embankment, leaving a trail in the dirt.

How it moved – Was it dropped? Thrown intentionally? Or did the soil shift somehow? – became an unanswered question for cold case detectives.

The skull came to rest on flat ground in the middle of an oil field about 50 feet from a derrick in Tonner Canyon adjacent to the 57 Freeway”.

That is really odd to me that the skull becoming uncovered has so much mystery and is stated to still be unknown.

A couple of theories would be that the skull was disturbed and rolled during work at the site , then later being seen by the Union Oil worker. It doesn’t sound like the skull was uncovered by the worker by say tripping or digging.

The part about the skull being thrown intentionally to be discovered in that moment doesn’t make sense ...I don’t really understand that as it sounds like it was recently rolling if a trail was seen. These oil derricks are usually in open spaces so who would be throwing a skull to a person? That could just be a strange choice of wording to be included in the article.

This leads to my thought that maybe an animal had disturbed the remains somehow as there are coyotes and mountain lions in the area. However, there’s no mention of animals as a possibility and it would seem that there would be teeth marks to indicate that.

I think the question of why this area and how frequent someone would be working this area are valid, but it doesn’t sound like there a reason to think that the Union Oil worker that made the discovery was involved.

Overall, it sounds more like this could be a quick drop site for Kerry’s remains and it is difficult to say whether any ties to the site were involved.

The screenshots below are the derricks in Brea today nearest the Brea Mall. It is apparent how close derricks would likely be to the freeway heading towards LA. I drew arrows showing the direction away from Fullerton where Kerry was last seen alive towards the area of her remains. I have also labeled the mall for reference.

Attachments

• 0BFA5E28-F67F-486E-B731-E3F22C04CB0C.jpeg
    0BFA5E28-F67F-486E-B731-E3F22C04CB0C.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 25
  • DC8ECAEC-B368-4438-BCBF-65BECAC01D6B.jpeg
    DC8ECAEC-B368-4438-BCBF-65BECAC01D6B.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 23
A few updates on the remoteness of where Kerry’s remains were located and what the area activity would have been like in June 1980:
Why is this possibly significant?

We don’t know how long Kerry was alive after she was abducted.

If the perpetrator abducted and murdered Kerry right away, then there’s an indication that the perpetrator (s) were familiar with the area. GPS didn’t exist and when you look at The corner of last known location on Parks Rd/Peacock the major cross street , Bastanchury, is a clear path to Tonner Canyon. The driver would likely have had a clear idea of where they wanted to go to be alone and uninterrupted as well as the route to take.

This doesn’t mean it was a stranger or not. It does suggest a person most likely familiar with navigating the area and perhaps with something planned as the person would like have to be there in the subdivision to abduct Kerry based on location. It could be opportunity choice or lying in wait based on knowing her.

The only activity I could find out in Tonner Canyon area at the time is Nieto & Sons Trucking. This has been owned and operated there since 1977. I found that on their website as well as what business services they run. They are involved in oil industry and hazardous waste type work. Nieto & Sons
It doesn’t sound like anyone from the company would have been in Kerry’s area and there is no indication to suggest to be connected to the crime. One small possibility would be if any drivers would have noticed anyone dumping something or parking in the area, but it is highly unlikely given the vastness and remoteness of the area.

My final thought on this being a destination or quick dumping site in Tonner Canyon is the lack of concealment attempted. It sounds like Kerry’s remains were left in the open, scattered, and close to areas where they would be found. This to me sounds like the perpetrator (s) did not have a concern over being connected or of Kerry’s remains being found. If someone had this concern then they could easily have kept going deeper into Tonner Canyon to bury or drop her remains. This again leads me back to a theory of this being an opportunity abduction without a connection to the victim.

Why that original abduction spot? That’s troubling to me as that is not one that seems to be appealing unless you are someone with a reason to already be there. Hmmm

I found a podcast online that is done by local women that takes a look at Kerry’s case by interviewing key persons. The podcast episodes are really illuminating and impactful.
http://hauntinghistorypodcast.com/

Episode 1 features an overview of the case
There is discussion of how the original investigation was conducted by Fullerton Police and later turned over to OC Sheriff after bones recovered 6 months later. Also cited is Kerry’s mom being taken to a bowling alley in Fullerton and being told to wait there bc of someone claiming to have seen Kerry there.
Kerry’s mom describes these details in an email to the podcasters and shares how the trauma caused her to doubt her own sanity at times, especially as she struggled to search for Kerry as a possible runaway. When the bones were discovered it took Kerry’s mom, Chrystal, about 3 weeks to bring herself to contact the coroner herself to inquire. This was around the December holidays and into the New Year of 1981. This episode really highlights the trauma of not knowing, being blind sided without a direction to turn, and wanting to remain hopeful yet strong enough to seek the truth wherever it may lead.

Episode 2 of the Podcast

P
OWERFUL
This episode is an interview with Michelle, who is Kerry’s sister and was 12 in 1980. This interview provides a glimpse of how these crimes impact a family and a sister that was the last relative known to see Kerry alive. Michelle is very open in discussing the case and who Kerry was as she can best recall.

Michelle confirms she was the one that stayed home and waited for the furniture to be delivered after Kerry left to go to the ice cream shop. She says that they knew one of the boys (Danny) that Kerry rode home with from their old neighborhood in Cerritos. He and his family had moved to Fullerton recently as well. Michelle said her sister left the house on foot and she never saw her again.

Michelle recalls Danny’s parents being called when Kerry’s parents arrived home from work without her sister at home. (Timeline a bit unsure, Michelle says her parents may have known prior to coming home that Kerry wasn’t there...I think I recall in episode one that the Mom called home around 3pm to discover Kerry not home).

Michelle confirms that the neighborhood was brand new and active with landscapers and other work being done. Also, at the time there wasn’t a neighborhood across from where they lived in front of Sunny Hills HS. At the time it was a field, old airfield (?). This is interesting to learn as there is a subdivision now that was built in the 2000s. This again reiterates the remoteness of the area at the time, even more rural than now.

Michelle is adamant that Kerry was not a runaway and does not think there is any validity there. She believes valuable clues and time were lost in Fullerton Police taking the case in that direction for the first 6 months. Michelle explains that her sister, Kerry, was excited about their new house, a weekend trip she had packed for and was leaving to take with a friend up to the mountains the next day. There was $20.00 sitting on her dresser. Michelle said Kerry only left with a small purse.
(My question left outstanding is if any personal items have ever been recovered, my guess is that they have not...)

Michelle says her memory is difficult to recover and this might be due to it being traumatic. Michelle doesn’t recall if the furniture was ever delivered. She has no memory of it. She recalls watching soaps with her sister until around 12:30ish then Kerry getting off the phone and saying she was meeting up with Danny at the ice cream parlor. She does recall the day that the remains were identified as being Kerry.

Family impact- Michelle shares how as a 12 year old this event left her clueless and was difficult to understand; still is really difficult to face. Michelle says that life went on and the family adopted a baby girl about a year later. She said that her mom was very vocal with her emotions and it remains difficult for her. Kerry’s biological father was not in the picture, rather her stepfather was actively involved in and raising her from a very young age. Kerry’s family overall did not openly discuss the matter. They all thought it was being actively investigated. Michelle is now seeking answers and has requested the original police report from Fullerton Police.

Michelle shares how she wishes the last boys known to have seen Kerry would speak with her. She said they have met with the recent deceive, Taft, to walk the bike route and are not suspects. Michelle would just like the closure.

Michelle has also recently walked the routes with Detective Taft. She said she was surprised to see how close it was and different than what she thought as well as what was reported. Trees lined a path and would block views. House was close but not within viewing distance of drop off. Kerry was said to be dropped off across the street from the tree lined path that she would likely have walked. Michelle questions why her sister would have been dropped off on the same side of the street as the vacant field and not on the side of the street that their house was located. ( note: this is new information to this posting as well.)

Michelle also reiterate that Kerry is listed as being associated with Sunny Hills HS, however, the family just moved to Fullerton. Kerry had not yet started her new school. All connections would be to friends really still at Cerritos HS. They didn’t really know anyone in their neighborhood yet as they had lived there less than 2 weeks.

Episode 3 http://hauntinghistorypodcast.com/

Interview with Detective Taft from OC Sheriffs Dept.

My Notes

During this interview the remarks made by convicted murder, David Richard Campbell, are addressed. As stated in the original posted article, Campbell has made comments that he killed William Raber for murdering Kerry Patterson. (Note: Campbell was convicted of three homicides of men in the Fullerton area. Unknown motives other than what Campbell claims as being a vigilante). Detective Taft says that there is not any validity found in Campbell’s claims about Raber and has not been found as credible.

Detective Taft explains his approach to the cold case since taking it over in mid 2019.

Detective Taft explains (referencing Case files) that Fullerton PD believed Kerry was a runaway bc people said they had seen her or given her money. A Press conference was originally held in July 1982 regarding Kerry’s disappearance. Detective says that tips and calls came in.. 10-12 calls. 2-3 said they interacted with Kerry in early July 1982. Question from interviewer regarding whether Kerry was with anyone- Detective Taft says no she was said to be alone in Cerritos.

There is a lot of discussion during this podcast on the runaway theory and no evidence was ever cited.

Detective Taft shares that initial interviews were conducted on the day Kerry disappeared with the boys and their parents.

In total, Detective Taft states about a dozen people were interviewed that first day including boys last seen with Kerry, families, Kerry’s family including her 12 year old sister as well as an unnamed boyfriend.

(Side note: a dozen people when counting means that nobody in the neighborhood was likely interviewed.)

Detective Taft goes on to confirm that there is no documentation on reaching out to delivery company that was scheduled to bring a piece of furniture to Kerry’s home that day. No documentation on discussion with construction workers in the area.
No suspects listed. No interviews with any of the girls she had prior disagreements.
Only partial remains have ever been recovered to this day. ( Side note: this leads me to think that personal items and other bones could still be found.)

Clarity on exactly where Kerry was said to have been dropped off after riding on the handlebars : Dropped off at Park and Pioneer. Detective Taft states that boys have never changed their story.

Detective Taft says he doesn’t know if her boyfriend at the time drove.

Theory on runaway ... none documented according to Detective Taft.

Also, throughout the podcast, Detective Taft doesn’t ever explicitly say about anything about personal items or nature of death or why only partial remains. No elaboration.

Detective Taft does say that this would likely be a repeat offender and may have spoken of it to someone. Also, goes onto to then say ...Could be a random grab or someone she knew.

Detective Taft said they have recently had tips. However, he said the people have not responded to additional questions. He added these people live out of state now.

It was hard to listen to this podcast and not feel for the family as well as the lack of justice for Kerry as of yet.

Episode 4 http://hauntinghistorypodcast.com/

In the beginning of the episode, I believe it states boys went home afterwards.

This episode features Psychic, Christy and more from Michelle, Kerry’s sister.

This episode should be approached with an open mind and understanding that the psychic is not providing confirmed facts but rather sharing her visions that could be substantial as well as correlated to Kerry. In many respects we do not know how these connect but rather at times confirming the connection somehow is being made with Kerry.

With that being said, the sister, Michelle offers supporting insights to the case.

My notes:

Discussion on pet, Muffin , white dog , hit by a car shortly after Kerry went missing. and Gidget , black was the mother , toy poodles.

Psychic reports rows of eucalyptus trees.

Michelle, Boys claim they dropped her off across the street from a row of trees.

Discussion on Kerry’s shoe cleaning and vision of white tennis shoes.
Michelle:Obsessed with keeping her shoes clean.

Michelle:Small and tiny. She did have a good, noticeable figure.

Psychic said man had longish 70s hair, mustache, familiar to her ...not sure how familiar but sensing recognition.

Michelle: Cerritos HS , During freshman year she had problems with other girls, they were being mean to her. A girl ripped a charm necklace off of her neck.

Psychic said she may have been smoking pot. Gets a sense of a secret.

Psychic , Kept hearing “ I made a mistake.” Maybe That is getting into a car with someone she was familiar with.

Michelle said didn’t really know anyone. Girls were home alone. Kerry was going to the mountains the next day with her friend. Money sitting on her dresser. Bag was packed. Kerry was not upset about the move. She didn’t like the old school.

Psychic asked about drums and band. Michelle couldn’t place that.

Psychic mentions seeing Kerry rocking a baby.
Michelle said baby adopted in Dec of 1981 after Kerry was already gone. Sister said didn’t know of a boyfriend and parents didn’t know either. Detective Taft said wasn’t Danny.

Psychic said name Susie comes up.
Sister said friends “Monique and Antonia” but couldn’t place a Susie (so far I haven’t run across that name either).

Psychic said something about perfume being stolen. Sister couldn’t confirm and has no memory of anything like that.

Psychic describes Trauma to throat. Suffered. Not too long but panic and disbelief that this was what happened.
Can’t speak.

Michelle: Shares that Micheal Cruz went to Buena Park HS. Recognizes the difficult position of the boys.
They didn’t ask to be the last to see her. Didn’t ask to be in that position. Nobody did.
Michelle believes that a kidnapping would have had to take place very fast. Creepy guy that Danny reported ...why was that not followed up?

In closing this episode brings together questions and showcases the unknowns.

Ice Cream Castle information-

(place Kerry met up with her friends before her disappearance later that day)

I found at article in the LA Times dated 30 August 1980, Saturday

This article states a grand opening is being held to celebrate the business goals of establishing itself as viable.

The business opened 2 years prior and has the same owner.

Address is 1859 Euclid Ave., Fullerton, Ca within the Sunny Hills Shopping Center.

Note: business no longer opened
Possible significance of examining the business is if the creepy guy mentioned by Kerry to her friends was cited by anyone else heading to the ice cream parlor that day or another day. Also, if anyone working there heard or saw something.

Final Episode from the podcast series http://hauntinghistorypodcast.com/

My notes

Background on the original article in the 1st post regarding the cold case is discussed. OC Registrar writer wrote it after seeing post online in alumni account. Tried to talk to three boys but nobody ever returned calls. Attempts to Talk to Rabard family, Campbell killer. But one big problem was he reached out to family on Christmas Eve. (Note, there’s a lot of reasons this would be difficult give the background, let alone on a holiday).

OC Writer: Campbell lived in neighborhood, had a connection to stable, dismembered victims ...believes there is a possibility that Campbell was involved in the crime.

Interview with Kerry’s best friend from her old neighborhood in Cerritos, Monique. She said no one ever interviewed her. Said she was the best friend and none of them were going on dates in cars. Monique did have an older brother. Boys were about 16/17/18 hanging out at her house in Cerritos. Gathering spot in Cerritos. (Note kinda Sounds like maybe Kerry lived in Cerritos house short time too). Regarding Kerry-Good family with money. Had latest items. About the dayKerry went missing, Kerry’s mom called her and they spread the word. Monique wasn’t super worried. Didn’t realize at first how serious this would become. , Kerry’s mom came to the neighborhood that night. Went to hangout spots. Flyers were placed everywhere. Monique said after that they were put on lockdown at her own house. Constantly being watched and had to be with brother all the time.

Bob Taft follow up, recognizes that Vicki Caswick, same HS, unknown if any connection, hasn’t looked at file. Has asked for FBI assistance, but no response yet.

I was thinking about the time and the area, so I began looking to find out if anything was going on in the area during the time Kerry went missing.

I found an insightful article in the LA Times dated Thursday, June 26, 1980 regarding Fullerton. This is the day Kerry goes missing.

The article describes the sale of 52 affordable condos in Coyote Hills that would begin that Saturday at noon. The location is near Gilbert and Rosecrans. The article describes people beginning to line up the day before and staying in tents and trailers in self policed lines to have an opportunity to buy. The scene resembles a campground full of people. The article goes on to say the developers are providing food to those staying onsite awaiting an opportunity to purchase.

There’s a lot that is gleamed from this article into what the area surrounding Kerry’s last known location was like in 1980. The investigation really begins to feel daunting when you try processing the number of people that would have been roaming without any question and thinking about how much development was taking place. Yes, we knew about Kerry’s neighborhood itself just being built and the area being still frequented by workers putting in lawn, installing, ect. However, this shows there was an attraction to bring in outside people and to draw in more to the area at the time of Kerry’s disappearance.

This is exactly the area where Kerry Patterson went to meet up with her friends at the Ice Cream Castle before she goes missing. This location is about 1.5 miles from her house and would have brought in more traffic from others just curious such as the newspaper writer. This shows there was something more out of the ordinary happening.

Significance? More traffic, more people, more complications on the direction to investigate this cold case.

It is really difficult to say at this point if there’s any connection to this event and the people attending. It’s a possibility that could be looked at.

Developers are listed as a joint venture of Fullerton Hills Development Company, William Lyon, and Chevron Oil.

There might be crumbs there but it’s difficult to say.

In the beginning I had really disregarded the Campbell possibility, but I am wondering more about that.

I found a podcast online that is done by local women that takes a look at Kerry’s case by interviewing key persons. The podcast episodes are really illuminating and impactful.

Episode 1 features an overview of the case
There is discussion of how the original investigation was conducted by Fullerton Police and later turned over to OC Sheriff after bones recovered 6 months later. Also cited is Kerry’s mom being taken to a bowling alley in Fullerton and being told to wait there bc of someone claiming to have seen Kerry there.
Kerry’s mom describes these details in an email to the podcasters and shares how the trauma caused her to doubt her own sanity at times, especially as she struggled to search for Kerry as a possible runaway. When the bones were discovered it took Kerry’s mom, Chrystal, about 3 weeks to bring herself to contact the coroner herself to inquire. This was around the December holidays and into the New Year of 1981. This episode really highlights the trauma of not knowing, being blind sided without a direction to turn, and wanting to remain hopeful yet strong enough to seek the truth wherever it may lead.

Thank you for the information about the podcast.

Here is the link for Apple podcasts:

‎Haunting History Podcast on Apple Podcasts

‎Haunting History Podcast: Who Killed Kerry Patterson Part 1 on Apple Podcasts
Kerry Patterson was a pretty, outgoing orange county teenager.

“On December 27, 1980, a worker in the Union oil field in Brea California, specifically in tonner Canyon, came across a human skull, located on flat ground in the middle of the oil field, about 50 feet from an oil derrick, rested what would break a mothers heart, send a sister on a life long search and a cold case detective looking for answers, the life and death of Kerry Patterson has touched many lives, lives of people she never even had a chance to meet.”

‎Haunting History Podcast: Who Killed Kerry Patterson Part 2 on Apple Podcasts

“Michelle
The loss of a loved one changes you, in ways you may never expect.
Interview with Kerry’s sister”

‎Haunting History Podcast: Who Killed Kerry Patterson Part 3 on Apple Podcasts

“We are pleased that the Orange County Sheriff’s Department agreed to be interviewed for this case.
The disappearance and murder of Kerry Patterson hit home for Investigator Bob Taft, being a father himself, its hard to imagine the heartbreak of losing a child.
He joins us today to discuss the case.”

‎Haunting History Podcast: Who Killed Kerry Patterson Part 4 on Apple Podcasts

“Kerry Patterson
Cerritos High School 1979
(Picture Michele is referring to in this episode)”

‎Haunting History Podcast: Who Killed Kerry Patterson-Final Episode on Apple Podcasts

“When we started this story, like so many others, we don’t know how they will end. This one rekindled an old acquaintance, who is now a friend, it introduced me to Bob Taft, who I know now, will be a long time friend and created an even closer relationship with Kristi, an old friend. So, if all this has done is get Kerry’s story out there and help people remember her then we’ve done what we set out to do, what we didn’t plan on was Kerry bringing us all together, I’ve said it before, and I will say it again, we were all brought to this one place for a reason, if that reason is friendship, I myself, am good with that, if its to tell more stories like Kerry’s I’m good with that, ultimately we are all here for the journey, no matter where that leads us…and Im good with that too.
Thanks Kerry.

Crystal sent me an email of her final thoughts, that email is here in its entirety:
As you have heard in this Podcast so skillfully assembled by Cathie Curtis, on June 14, 1980 our family moved to Fullerton from Cerritos, mainly because we wanted our then15 year old daughter Kerry to go to Sunny Hills High School.
The new neighborhood was bustling with trades people laying concrete patios, putting in sod, doing landscaping and brick walkways. We were one of the last homes sold so most owners were well on their way to finishing up their exteriors and front yard landscaping.
On June 26 Kerry and Michelle were going to take the beach bus to Huntington Beach for the first time with their new boogie boards. At the last minute we were informed that a piece of furniture we ordered was going to be delivered that day, so I had to ask the girls to stay home and wait for the delivery.
In the early afternoon Kerry called an old friend who had moved to Fullerton a year before and made plans to meet up with him and a couple of his friends at the Ice Cream Castle about a mile from our new home. Kerry told Michelle she would bring her back a candy bar, and she took off on foot to walk the short distance to the strip mall where the ice cream store was.
That was the last time anyone in our family saw Kerry.
I have spent the last 40 years trying to sort out what happened to my daughter. To begin with, the Fullerton Police Department mishandled Kerry’s case from the beginning. According the “statistics” at the time I was told, “girls between the ages of 12-17 who go missing are 99% of the time runaways. Unfortunately for Kerry her age put her in that category, and no amount of exculpatory evidence like $20 sitting on her dresser, a suitcase mostly packed for a weekend trip in her room, and close friends and family saying she would never run away, made any difference to the Fullerton Police Department. Kerry falling into their “statistic” made it easy for them to put forth minimal effort to help us find my child. As a result, critical evidence and leads were overlooked. Proper notes and documentation were non-existent so trying to piece together what happened at the time made it nearly impossible for follow up efforts throughout the years.
After Kerry’s remains were found in an unincorporated area of Brea, the case was transferred to the Orange County Sheriff’s Department. Most of the detectives I dealt with there were compassionate and helpful, and were also appalled at the lack of information provided by Fullerton. I continued to push forward for leads. I met with movie directors who talked about making a movie of her disappearance, journalists who wrote articles in local papers about her murder. I met with people like you Cathie who so graciously have taken their time to create this unbelievable Podcast about Kerry’s murder. I sent letters to John Walsh and Mark Fuhrman begging them to help me, all to no avail. I contacted the TV Show Cold Justice but due to another pending case the Orange County Sheriff’s Department was working on that may or may not have involved Kerry, they would not cooperate with the show.
Things took a positive turn when Michelle met Bob Taft a Cold Case Detective with the Orange County Sheriff’s department. He took a true interest in our case and spent months working on leads, tracking down and talking to people who claimed to have information. To this day he is still trying to help us find answers.
The ups and downs, the hopes and dashed hopes, the tears, the “what ifs” the hours I have spent on the phone with detectives, the text messages with countless people who are also trying to help, it all gets to be too much at times. There are times when I say I can’t do this anymore. I justify that by saying that Kerry wouldn’t want me to carry this burden for so long. She would want me to be at peace. So, for a fleeting moment I sigh and say that’s it, I am going to move on and not dwell on this anymore. Then something will happen, someone will say something, and the emotions will flood back and of course I have to keep searching, asking, praying that someone somewhere will read, hear, see something about her that sparks a thought in them about that day back in 1980 when my beautiful 15 year old daughter walked down to get ice cream and never made it home.
If you remember anything about that time period, if you lived near Parks Road and Bastanchury or Rosecrans, if you have a friend or relative who worked in the trades, like a brick mason, or landscaper, or anyone who would have been working in a new housing project during that time period and may have seen her leave the house that day please reach out to Bob Taft or me, or Cathie, or Michelle. We will be forever grateful for any information that could help lead us to who killed my daughter. Thank you.”

Last edited:
I am reflecting on what we have been reading, listening to, and the research thus far....

What Michelle said above Podcasts

The loss of a loved one changes you, in ways you may never expect.
Interview with Kerry’s sister”

is so powerful. It has been a statement that also gives me pause to be reminded of all the lives impacted by this loss. As I research and examine, I think about the need to be mindful of how the innocence of so many was also taken with this unsolved crime. It leaves a cloud of suspicion and prevents true closure.

In that sense, I am cautious about information gathering and quick closure.

So far, there are no credible facts to support or suggest a particular suspect. Many more questions remain. I do keep the possibility of Campbell or others in the area in mind but I think it would be a mistake at this point to run with that. That’s not real justice and doesn’t tell the story. I hope we can find that story through others embracing courage and thinking back to what they saw, heard, or even did.

I’m still thinking about this case and all the challenges.

I recall from the podcasts above and in the articles; that only a few skeletal remains were found. Kerry’s skull was what allowed for the identification.

The question posed is : Where is the rest of Kerry’s remains? What about personal items with her? Clothing? Jewelry? Purse? The white shoes?

I’m still thinking about this case and all the challenges.

I recall from the podcasts above and in the articles; that only a few skeletal remains were found. Kerry’s skull was what allowed for the identification.

The question posed is : Where is the rest of Kerry’s remains? What about personal items with her? Clothing? Jewelry? Purse? The white shoes?
The rest of Kerry's remains could still be close by if an animal(s) scattered them. The same goes for how the skull rolled down the hill. An animal may have done that.
If her body was not buried, or buried in a shallow grave, my guess is this wasn't planned. Maybe an impulsive act from another teen? Maybe so, however, imo, if a teen was involved, chances are he/she/they would have told someone by now because it's hard for a teen to keep a secret, and they think they can trust others with theirs.
I also think that where she was new to the area, she may have been less likely to keep her guard up and would have been more trusting with strangers, because everyone would have been a stranger, and she would have been wanting to make new friends.

All moo.

The rest of Kerry's remains could still be close by if an animal(s) scattered them. The same goes for how the skull rolled down the hill. An animal may have done that.
If her body was not buried, or buried in a shallow grave, my guess is this wasn't planned. Maybe an impulsive act from another teen? Maybe so, however, imo, if a teen was involved, chances are he/she/they would have told someone by now because it's hard for a teen to keep a secret, and they think they can trust others with theirs.
I also think that where she was new to the area, she may have been less likely to keep her guard up and would have been more trusting with strangers, because everyone would have been a stranger, and she would have been wanting to make new friends.

All moo.

Yes, I’ve wondered about the animal possibility as well. The lack of probable evidence collected or existing is frustrating.
My guess is that no personal belongings were out there, so she was likely unclothed. I say that based on the Pod cast interview with OC Sheriff citing no physical evidence and nothing being withheld that they have.

I also thought about the unplanned part too. I had thought maybe she was hit by a car and someone panicked, but then that seemed unlikely as there would have been blood in the road and other physical traces. Then there’s the chance encounter with someone she just met and willingly went to meet. That seems possible and also just as likely the stranger theory of someone kidnapping her by force. With the park and homes right there…ugh it could honestly go either way.

It sounds like also we don’t have a cause of death due to lack of evidence either.

The biggest items of direction we have are the statements of the younger boys she was last with and dropped her off. I can see the family’s desire to speak with them and hope that the two still living will meet with them. That’s a delicate space for all involved. It would be nice if they could exchange information, but I can only imagine that difficulty. I wonder if hypnosis would help jog memories of the two boys (now grown-up). Maybe there’s a detail they recall.

There’s such a lack of direction, which has led to the case being cold.

It needs to have that little piece to shed light on it….

There’s a lot to wonder about and it goes round and round.

There is a discussion on Reddit that provides the contact information for OC Sheriff working the case
https://www.reddit.com/r/UnsolvedMu...kerry_louise_patterson_murdered_june_26_1980/

“….detective working the case listed below. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.”

Investigator Robert “Bob” Taft

Orange County Sheriffs Department

Cold Case Homicide Task Force

Orange County District Attorney’s Office

(714) 245-8349 – Office

(714) 659-0852 – Cell

Robert.taft@da.ocgov.com

rwtaft@ocsd.org

If someone was living in the area or knows of someone and has information or a possible experience with a crime at the time that could be connected, then please contact with the detective. Your knowledge, story, tips ect are all important to finding closure as well as possible identification of the person responsible for this crime.

For a variety of reasons—lack of evidence, strained resources, arguably an ineffective initial investigation— this case has not been solved, yet, but it is still possible.

I tried researching more on David Richard Campbell. I was curious to see what he said exactly about his knowledge of Kerry Louise Patterson being killed. I went online to the OCCourt website and searched the online records. I found the listing for his 2015 conviction of killing a friend named Frank “Bart” Marshall.

Unfortunately, the online records just provide dates of actions, attorneys, court reporters, status of conviction/violations. The case number is 13CF0461

I naively thought maybe I could get court transcripts ordered, so I looked into that. I had no idea how many pages and the expense! Yikes! I’d be looking at hundreds of dollars for just a portion of one case.

I found out that this is very common and that it is a cost that anyone, including the defendant, has to pay. Thought to share as it gives insight on the difficulty and cost involved in the research.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back