CA CA - Kevin Collins, 10, San Francisco, 10 Feb 1984

The SFPD now says they're checking out a report that Dunkle was in jail the night Kevin disappeared. They talked to Dunkle in San Quentin last week. He denied killing Kevin but couldn't tell them if he was in jail or not that night.

How frustratingly inept that they to this day still do not even know if he was in jail the day that Kevin disappeared?? I feel like LE did fail Kevin to some extent for not listening or following up much sooner on this tip. Waiting to see where this investigation goes...

In this CBS article:

Kevin Collins Missing: San Francisco home searched in case of 10-year-old's 1984 disappearance
January 30, 2013 11:07 AM

"A law enforcement official said a "person of interest" in Kevin's disappearance lived in the house at the time. That person has since died.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the search warrant used to inspect the property was sealed.

During the search, cadaver dogs indicated the presence of remains under the concrete in the garage. Police said a preliminary review of the remains showed them to be animal bones, but the San Francisco medical examiner's office was conducting further tests.

Police didn't disclose what prompted investigators to seek a search warrant and renew the probe into the case. The FBI and the Alameda County sheriff's department contributed to the search Tuesday."

I really want to know who it was that lived there in 1984 and has since died. Why won't they release the name?

A neighbor who lives in the building next door and has since before Kevin disappeared, was interviewed on tv news last night and said he knew the person and he couldn't imagine him being involved. But, of course we have heard that before.

But, another thing I am very curious about is that the Alameda County Sheriff's Department is somehow involved in this case. Alameda County is across the Bay, across the bridge, it comprises Oakland, Berkeley, etc. It doesn't make sense to me that they would be involved in what appears to be a strictly San Francisco City and County case. Maybe a suspect lives or lived in Alameda County?

And, I agree, not knowing where Dunkle was at the time, after all this time, is mindboggling.

With that said, it would be fantastic if this current attempt to solve it succeeds.

Kevin's sisters:

Sisters hope break brings closure in Kevin Collins case
Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2013
KTVU.com

"HAYWARD, Calif. — The search of a San Francisco home for the remains of long-missing ten-year-old Kevin Collins brought up a wave of emotions Tuesday night for his sisters, Michelle and Laura Collins.

During an interview with KTVU, the two women said they let their brother go years ago assuming he'd been murdered.

But they admitted they have always struggled with the question of what happened. And now, after nearly 29 years, they wonder could this finally be the break they've been waiting for."

More...

I won't get my hopes up, but I do hope they find him in their latest search!

KRON4 has been doing some 'digging' and has come up with some info on who the SF Police cold case squad is focusing on. I have seen his name spelled Therrien with an 'e', which I think is the correct spelling. The house is the second from the corner on Masonic. I think St Agnes is in the next block to the north and on the other side of Masonic.

Deceased Neighbor Listed as Primary Suspect in Kevin Collins Disappearance
By: Brian Shields - Fri, 01 Feb 2013 19:59:35 -0800

"SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) -- A now deceased former Haight-Ashbury resident who lived across the street from where 10-year old Kevin Collins went missing in 1984 is now the primary focus of the San Francisco Police cold case squad investigating the case, KRON 4 News has learned.

Dan Therrion(sic), pictured from a drivers license photo taken in March of 2003, lived adjacent to Saint Agnes where Collins attended basketball practice just before his disappearance. A former landlord tells KRON 4 Therrion, who went by the name "Kelly", sported blond shoulder-length hair in the mid-80's. That's similar to the description of the last person seen talking with Kevin."

"... home Therrion used to share with his former partner Jack Chow. Authorities say Chow and the people now living in the home on Masonic are not suspects in Kevin's disappearance."

"Kevin's mother, Ann Collins, tells KRON 4 news, one of the clues that sticks in her memory is of a witness who said he saw the boy talking with a man with a black dog. Therrion had such a dog at the time, police say. The victim's mother says police have told her why they're focused on Therrion's former home but she is not at liberty to say."

More including picture and video which won't play on iPad without Flash...

http://www.kron4.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=5449

Ann Collins seems like such a nice lady, I sure hope she gets some answers soon. Another bay area kidnapping that has gone on for too long!

I so remember this case. I always thought Kevin was a victim of Charles Lake and Ng.

Oh my, to see them searching is a blast from the past and a good thing!

Salem

As sad as it may be, I sincerely hope that they find Kevin - an answer to a cold child kidnapping case would be refreshing. It would restore my hope I think.

Can I just say creepy looking? Some of these kidnappers look just like the guy next door, but he sets off my gross meter.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/san_francisco&id=8982450

San Francisco News
Police release new details in Kevin Collins case
Wednesday, February 06, 2013

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco police are hoping someone will come forward with information on a man who may have been the last person to see 10-year-old Kevin Collins before he disappeared nearly 30 years ago. Police say this person of interest in the case had several aliases and an extensive criminal record. ABC7 News reporter Vic Lee was the first at the search scene last week and has been leading coverage of this story.

"He was a man of many names and police say that's why they had such a tough time investigating him. He had at least five different aliases. "On April 16, 1981, Jackson was arrested under the name Wayne Jackson, in the Fisherman's Wharf area in San Francisco, for kidnapping and lewd acts on a child," said Lt. Tim Plyer said."

"Jackson bailed out and never showed up for his court appearance. He was arrested six months later and spent six months in jail for that offense. Police say he used another one of his aliases when he was arrested in Canada nine years earlier. "Jackson was wanted in Canada under the name Raymond Williams Stewart for a 1973 incident where he allegedly kidnapped and sexually assaulted two juveniles," Plyer said."

"He was released. Then, he fled the country. He successfully eluded arrest because he had changed his alias again once he returned to the Bay Area. He lived in the area mostly under the name Dan Therrien, the name he had when he died of natural causes in 2008."

More...

This makes me very curious about the person who lives at the house now. I believe he was also living there for some time with Therrien. And, a guy who lived next door when Kevin disappeared and still does, who was recently on TV who said he knew Therrien. I am NOT thinking that either one had anything to do with Kevin's disappearance but if Therrien did, did these guys suspect anything? How much did his roommate know about his past history? Thirty years! Man! I hope they will solve it definitively.

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area...ins-disappearance-police-name-person-interest

Kevin Collins disappearance: Police name person of interest

By Joshua Melvin
jmelvin@bayareanewsgroup.com
Posted: 02/06/2013 05:35:34 PM PST
Updated: 02/06/2013 08:46:18 PM PST

"One of the pieces of evidence pushing the renewed effort is Therrien's 1973 arrest in Canada for allegedly kidnapping and sexually assaulting two 13-year-old boys. Because of Therrien's litany of monikers -- he also went by Raymond William Stewart, Kelly Lee Dawson, Kelly Sean Stewart -- police didn't learn about the charges until recently.

In the Canadian case, Therrien -- who police also identified Wednesday as Wayne Jackson -- went on the lam and was never arrested. Police didn't say where it happened in Canada or reveal any other details.

Investigators also say Therrien matches the description of the person last seen talking to Kevin as the fourth-grader at St. Agnes School was going
home from basketball practice in the Haight-Ashbury District.

Two independent witnesses told police they saw the boy with a tall blond man with a large black dog sitting on the stoop of a Masonic Avenue home, San Francisco police Lt. Tim Plyer said. Police later detained Therrien and questioned him about the disappearance. He also, at the time, gave police permission to search the home, the same one targeted during the Jan. 29 search. But police found nothing, and the witnesses couldn't be sure Therrien was the man they had seen talking to the boy."

More...

So he takes a kid and rapes him, gets arrested........then bails out and goes on the run.....is arrested again and ONLY GETS 6 Months????

No one see's a red flag when a grown man rapes a child and then runs?

It appears the only thing this guy learned was to not leave a witness. If they had given him 60 years instead of 6 months, Kevin Collins would still be alive!

Does anyone know what kind of dog it was that the man had?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back