Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni, 16, missing from a large party @ Prosser Family Campground, car not found, Truckee, 6 Aug 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get it, but isn't it possible she told everyone, bar mum, that she was staying at the campground for the night? Then snuck off before her friends noticed?
Yes, possible.
Still, if she told her friends she would stay the night.....did they ask with whom? Surely she would not stay by herself there, with who knows who might still be lurking around in the middle of the night in a forest.

If this girl lives through this she needs to get new friends. Everyone talking about her condition, but nobody caring enough to stop and help or get help. Im beyond disgusted. This is not how friends act.

Keep in mind, this is a sensational news report. She could have been counting down the time until she could "safely" drive. In Teenage presentation to parents, she was too drunk to drive. It's all in how it is worded. Daily Mail is like the Jerry Springer of news LOL.

I'm having a really hard time with Kiely being left alone to drive home by herself. Maybe I'm not understanding the dynamics here.
But when friends say...oh she wouldn't have gotten far in her state, so she didn't have an accident since she hasn't been found....well, I don't get it.
Enough said before I lose it.

Yeah, that is weird speculation on the "family friends" part. There are so many places a car could be in that area. Especially an overturned car.

I honestly think she did drink, but don't think the girls left her "inebriated". With that many teens and young adults there, there should be a lot of photographic evidence as well. Kids van't stay off their phones. Insta, TikTok, etc.

If this girl lives through this she needs to get new friends. Everyone talking about her condition, but nobody caring enough to stop and help or get help. Im beyond disgusted. This is not how friends a
So what happened to Megs? If she accompanied Kiely to the party did Kiely just desert Megs there? How did Megs get home and how did she get separated from Kiely? Did Megs (like Sami) catch a ride with someone else because Kiely was intoxicated? If so, why would these supposed "friends" not take the intoxicated Kiely with them when they left? Why would they leave her there in that state?

This is not adding up (to me) and I think some of these kids are not telling the whole story. IMO

ETA: And why did Kiely turn off her phone immediately after her phone conversation with Sami? I suspect that call was not as breezy as Sami makes it out to be. IMO

I agree with all you are saying. Mostly that these young kids are not telling the whole story.

SS is interviewed in the below link.

She also says that Kiely was also planning on spending the night at the campground.

So maybe that's why they all left. Thinking she was staying.

Which was not what Kiely told her mother. She told her mother she was leaving at 12:15 so her mother went to sleep.

If that was the case and she really was going to stay the night AND she was intoxicated it just becomes a dangerous situation.

Interview is here SS seems very credible (moo)

Search underway for teenage girl who went missing after party

Last edited:
I'm having a really hard time with Kiely being left alone to drive home by herself. Maybe I'm not understanding the dynamics here.
But when friends say...oh she wouldn't have gotten far in her state, so she didn't have an accident since she hasn't been found....well, I don't get it.
New to the case. I’m having a hard time understanding why her friends would leave her, or even why she was driving that late at all. At age 16, I thought teen drivers had a curfew on unsupervised driving after 11 pm.

Whatever the circumstances, I am with you all in hoping she is just found safe, and the rest will be a learning lesson for the teens to get sorted out later.

New to the case. I’m having a hard time understanding why her friends would leave her, or even why she was driving that late at all. At age 16, I thought teen drivers had a curfew on unsupervised driving after 11 pm.

Whatever the circumstances, I am with you all in hoping she is just found safe, and the rest will be a learning lesson for the teens to get sorted out later.
BBM. It depends on the state. I grew up rurally and was driving at 14. I used to be out a lot at night at 16. That's a normal rural teen thing.

At this point I'm not even buying that Kiely was intoxicated. She texted her mom at 11:30 pm, an exchange her mom reports as perfectly normal. I know drunk texting when I see it and I'm sure Kiely's mom would have as well. It's entirely possible that Kiely's falling out with Sami and Megs had nothing to do with alcohol or intoxication.

Why does one abruptly shut off their phone? It's usually because one is receiving upsetting calls or texts and doesn't want to deal with it anymore. Kiely shut off her phone shortly after midnight, according to LE. Sami alleges Kiely called her at 12:36 am, so Kiely must have turned off her phone within minutes of that call. Why?

I don't take "witness" statements as gospel. The statements may be true, they may not be true. I'm not convinced these girls are giving an accurate account of what happened. IMO

If this girl lives through this she needs to get new friends. Everyone talking about her condition, but nobody caring enough to stop and help or get help. Im beyond disgusted. This is not how friends act.
Perhaps LE has asked party attendees not to reveal their accounts of the night to the press.

The fact that it was determined to be an abduction so early on suggests to me LE has some lead information.

Prayers for her safe return.

JMO

Last edited:
BBM. It depends on the state. I grew up rurally and was driving at 14. I used to be out a lot at night at 16. That's a normal rural teen thing.

In CA, teenager drivers on a provisional drivers license do have the curfew of 11 pm (ends when they turn 18). They also cannot drive non-family members except in certain circumstances. I had briefly wondered why Kiely and her friends drove separately but I think that's probably why.

Now, it's possible CA rural areas could ignore some of these rules. (There's somewhat of a divide in CA, to put it mildly.) I can only speak from experience living in CA suburbs.

Thanks. I read a post upthread from the local and it does sound like it’s typical for the area. So now that big lake combined with darkness is scary. Others have suggested she may have found someone else who needed a ride, or who may have offered to drive her car. But she didn’t make it home. Could she have gone to someone else‘s house, and the car is still there? Even if she fell asleep before texting her mother, she would have went home in the morning, or texted her mother that she changed plans. Worst case scenario (aside from the lake) is that someone drove her to a home or elsewhere, and misadventure or foul play has happened. Prayers up for a different outcome.

Yes, possible.
Still, if she told her friends she would stay the night.....did they ask with whom? Surely she would not stay by herself there, with who knows who might still be lurking around in the middle of the night in a forest.
Thing is, some of her friends might've been staying there too. Hence why I said she may have snuck off.

Thanks. I read a post upthread from the local and it does sound like it’s typical for the area. So now that big lake combined with darkness is scary. Others have suggested she may have found someone else who needed a ride, or who may have offered to drive her car. But she didn’t make it home. Could she have gone to someone else‘s house, and the car is still there? Even if she fell asleep before texting her mother, she would have went home in the morning, or texted her mother that she changed plans. Worst case scenario (aside from the lake) is that someone drove her to a home or elsewhere, and misadventure or foul play has happened. Prayers up for a different outcome.
We don't know she didn't make it back to the lodge. We know she turned her phone off shortly after midnight. What happened between shortly after midnight until her mother awoke at 8 am to discover neither she nor her car were at the lodge is a complete blank. All kinds of things could have happened in those intervening 7 hours. Including making it back to the lodge. Including her stopping at another residence in between. Any number of things could have happened in those 7 hours. IMO

Yeah, "abduction" is definitely new language surrounding her disappearance. From your link-
"A spokesperson for the sheriff's office said deputies are treating the case as an abduction because Rodni's car hasn't been found yet despite the resources they've dedicated to the search."

That seems like an unusual reason for it to be treated as an abduction- her car not yet being found- but maybe not?
I could be totally wrong but perhaps the car GPS system has been tampered with. I think her car is a newer model car if I remember correctly (2017?). Or perhaps systems that the data /recordingtracking company that her car works with are turned off/tampered with and thus the company has informed LE? Again as I said I could be wrong, but maybe?

More info about the party.

“The party was only supposed to be open to those in the Truckee Tahoe region. But word got out to Grass Valley, Reno and the Bay Area,” Sami Smith, a close friend, said. ”It grew to be way, way larger than ever expected.”

“Within the only 10 minutes I was there, I literally had a group of five guys, try to come get me to take as many bong rips as I could forcefully, without my boyfriend present,” Magdalene Larson, Keily’s best friend, said.

“There was a lot of guys that did approach us,” Smith said. “Definitely, I was getting a gut feeling that during that party that something, something just didn’t feel right with the amount of people that were there and how old some of these people were.”

“From the amount of people who did show up, it was scary. It was really scary,” Smith recalled.

I could be totally wrong but perhaps the car GPS system has been tampered with. I think her car is a newer model car if I remember correctly (2017?). Or perhaps systems that the data /recordingtracking company that her car works with are turned off/tampered with and thus the company has informed LE? Again as I said I could be wrong, but maybe?
her car is an older model it says in the media that it is 2013
2013 HONDA CRV
This is from the find Kiely website

Last edited:
Long time reader, first time poster. I'm a Truckee local so I feel it is important to share facts here.

1) While Truckee looks remote, we are only 30 min from Reno, 1.5 hours from Sacramento, and 2.5 hours from SF. Plus, being on I-80 means we have more than our fair share of transient crimes. This spring/summer, there has been an uptick on car break-ins. Friends of ours even had their car windows shot out while they were hiking (link below). The homeless population also goes up during the summer and some illegally camp out in trailers or their cars around Prosser. And human trafficking has long been a serious issue in the greater area (link below). Point being, I see why abduction is being considered seriously.

2) On the theory of Kiely crashing while driving home, it would be possible for someone to turn the wrong way, leading to the boat ramp. It would not be logical for them to go off on some dirt roads--at least not by choice or without being extremely intoxicated. Our HS kids know the area and even at age 16 are generally good drivers. But of course drugs or alcohol can change that.

3) The location of the party is not what we consider remote. As another local shared, it is 1/2 mile from residential homes and 5-7 min drive from town. Plus, the entire road from 89 to walking distance from the party location is paved. Many of the roads around Prosser have bad potholes, but this particular stretch does not. And there is plenty of open space along the road in and out. That said, cell phone signals around the Reservoir and specifically by Prosser Family Campground are often unreliable. I'll have 2-3 bars but texts fail to go through. So, to me the reports of her phone being out of service don't necessarily mean it was off.

4) In terms of where she may have driven upon leaving the immediate Prosser area, I agree with other posters that Alder Creek road would make sense. It is quiet and avoids our small downtown yet the speed limit is 45. Cops are rarely looking for drunk drivers in town (we have a small police force) but I could see teenagers wanting to avoid town when leaving a large off-grid party. Alder Creek road is known for bad accidents (speeding, wildlife, etc.) and it is possible to go far off the road on the south side. However, most of that area is extensively used by hikers and mountain bikers and not so heavily wooded, so I would expect someone to have seen a crashed vehicle along Alder by now. I'm less familiar with the road along Coldstream to her home, so I won't comment on that.

5) To my knowledge, there has not been extensive sonar searching of Prosser Reservoir yet. I expect that will be done if Kiely is not found in the next few days and I'm personally watching for that to be done.

6) At HS parties here, alcohol is often less an issue than other drugs. Marijuana is the most common and pills are pretty common too. That's according to our HS-aged daughter. There is a general perception in the area (which I don't agree with) that it is safe to drive after smoking weed whereas people are more careful not to drive drunk. Take that as you will.

7) Lastly, I've been blown away by how our community has risen up to help search, put up flyers, and press teenagers to share any detail they know. This is all anyone is talking about. I'm hopeful that we will find Kiely soon if she is in the area.

Last edited:
More info about the party.

“The party was only supposed to be open to those in the Truckee Tahoe region. But word got out to Grass Valley, Reno and the Bay Area,” Sami Smith, a close friend, said. ”It grew to be way, way larger than ever expected.”

“Within the only 10 minutes I was there, I literally had a group of five guys, try to come get me to take as many bong rips as I could forcefully, without my boyfriend present,” Magdalene Larson, Keily’s best friend, said.

“There was a lot of guys that did approach us,” Smith said. “Definitely, I was getting a gut feeling that during that party that something, something just didn’t feel right with the amount of people that were there and how old some of these people were.”

“From the amount of people who did show up, it was scary. It was really scary,” Smith recalled.

It must not have been that scary if she and Megs took off and abandoned an "intoxicated" Kiely there in such a "scary" situation. Especially considering they were her best friends. IMO

Long time reader, first time poster. I'm a Truckee local so I feel it is important to share facts here.

1) While Truckee looks remote, we are only 30 min from Reno, 1.5 hours from Sacramento, and 2.5 hours from SF. Plus, being on I-80 means we have more than our fair share of transient crimes. This spring/summer, there has been an uptick on car break-ins. Friends of ours even had their car windows shot out while they were hiking (link below). The homeless population also goes up during the summer and some illegally camp out in trailers or their cars around Prosser. And human trafficking has long been a serious issue in the greater area (link below). Point being, I see why abduction is being considered seriously.

2) On the theory of Kiely crashing while driving home, it would be possible for someone to turn the wrong way, leading to the boat ramp. It would not be logical for them to go off on some dirt roads--at least not by choice or without being extremely intoxicated. Our HS kids know the area and even at age 16 are generally good drivers. But of course drugs or alcohol can change that.

3) The location of the party is not what we consider remote. As another local shared, it is 1/2 mile from residential homes and 5-7 min drive from town. Plus, the entire road from 89 to walking distance from the party location is paved. Many of the roads around Prosser have bad potholes, but this particular stretch does not. And there is plenty of open space along the road in and out.

4) In terms of where she may have driven upon leaving the immediate Prosser area, I agree with other posters that Alder Creek road would make sense. It is quiet and avoids our small downtown. Cops are rarely looking for drunk drivers in town (we have a small police force) but I could see teenagers wanting to avoid town when leaving a large off-grid party. Alder Creek road is known for bad accidents (sharp turns and plenty of wildlife) and it is possible to go far off the road on the south side. However, most of that area is extensively used by hikers and mountain bikers and not so heavily wooded, so I would expect someone to have seen a crashed vehicle along Alder by now. I'm less familiar with the road along Coldstream to her home, so I won't comment on that.

5) To my knowledge, there has not been extensive sonar searching of Prosser Reservoir yet. I expect that will be done if Kiely is not found in the next few days and I'm personally watching for that to be done.

6) At HS parties here, alcohol is often less an issue than other drugs. Marijuana is the most common and pills are pretty common too. That's according to our HS-aged daughter. There is a general perception in the area (which I don't agree with) that it is safe to drive after smoking weed whereas people are more careful not to drive drunk. Take that as you will.

7) Lastly, I've been blown away by how our community has risen up to help search, put up flyers, and press teenagers to share any detail they know. This is all anyone is talking about. I'm hopeful that we will find Kiely soon if she is in the area.

Welcome to Websleuths @truckeelife! Thank you for your information and insight. We are all pulling for Kiely!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redhairdontcare