Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni, 16, missing from a large party @ Prosser Family Campground, car not found, Truckee, 6 Aug 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flightradar24

CHP helicopter N947HP is back up in the air (7:30 am PST) running I-80 from Donner Pass to the intersection of HIghway 89 and north on 89 to the Prosser Lake turnoff.

Not seeing now, likely the transponder was turned off.

Oh goodness, I hoped to find some good news here, but it seems not. A young teenager, out late at a party and left on her own usually doesn't bode well as we all know too well here.

Prayers and thoughts to the family and friends during the search.

Agree.
I wonder what that last phone call to Kiely's friend was about. They had only just left each other.
Was Kiely maybe interested in someone at the party and was updating her friend?

“So my concern is that somebody might have offered to drive her home and then didn’t take her home,” Ms Smith told KOVR-TV.
Desperate search for missing teen feared 'abducted from party'
Yes. I thought about that too - why call so quickly after just leaving…
I think there could have been someone else driving her too. Perhaps someone older that party goers weren’t familiar with so they weren’t paying attention to him…when he put his arm around Kiely, walking her to her car, whispering words of “I got you, everything is gonna be okay now. I’ll drive you home…” Did she want to call her friend, so excited someone she might have a crush on was taking care of her but she changed her mind to say his name, fearful “unknown hypothetical dude“ would think she’s immature?

It doesn’t strike me as automatically neglectful or nefarious that her friends left her. It’s likely that she initially intended to drive home, so that’s what she told her mom. She might not have expected to get drunk so fast, but maybe she had been “pregaming” beforehand. Then realized at the party that she had become too intoxicated, and decided to sleep it off.

Her friends might have actually thought that was the safer decision for her.

Maybe most of the unfamiliar people seemed to have left by the time they did, and most who were staying to camp were local.

Maybe her friends left her with a group of people they knew and felt comfortable with, but can’t mention publicly because those people are being looked at by LE.

Maybe she hadn’t charged her phone long enough earlier, and she passed out before plugging it back in so it died. And maybe she fell asleep with her car doors unlocked.

It would be interesting to know how many people stayed behind to camp, and how far away her car was parked from other people. Was she tucked away in an isolated spot that seemed safe because she was hidden, but being out of sight from the crowd made her a vulnerable target? Or was she parked in a crowded area that felt safer than being alone — but was also full of potentially dangerous strangers — and campers were asleep or too drunk to notice anything unusual?

When I was 16/17, if I had attended a party in the woods and decided to sleep in my car, my friends wouldn’t have batted an eye. They knew I was a competent and experienced mountain girl who’s as accustomed to sleeping on dirt as I am to driving on it. And if were intoxicated, they would’ve been relieved I wasn’t trying to drive. But their own parents wouldn’t have allowed it, so they wouldn’t have stayed behind themselves.

Her friends know her and might also consider her fairly capable. Most are probably pretty comfortable campers themselves, especially in an area they know. At that age — and inebriated — we know teenagers often have an unreasonable sense of invincibility.

I think I remember an earlier comment that even though her home was only 12 miles away, it was a 30+ minute drive. That might sound daunting to an exhausted and inexperienced teenage driver, no matter how familiar she is with the roads.
I’m sure you are right. But that’s what needs to change. The girls need to have a pact that no matter what they say or do they leave together. There really is safety in numbers. A man I had been chatting with at a bar once when I was young suddenly said we have to go now come on hurry and I was so drunk and confused I went, it didn’t end well. Girls can drink and dance and have fun and wear what they want. but when it comes time to leaving they need a solemn pact that they leave safely together no matter what they say or do and be sure they get home alive. That’s not to blame others, just to make a recommendation.

I’m sure you are right. But that’s what needs to change. The girls need to have a pact that no matter what they say or do they leave together. There really is safety in numbers.
Yes. Unfortunately we often learn lessons when it’s too late.

I’m not saying there aren’t many things that could’ve been done differently. I just don’t think assuming the worst of these kids — who are undoubtedly petrified for their friend and already feeling endless guilt — is helpful at this point.

IF she — god forbid — has been abducted, there’s no one to blame but the person who did it.

Last edited:
Yes. Unfortunately we often learn lessons when it’s too late.

I’m not saying there aren’t many things that could’ve been done differently. I just don’t think assuming the worst of these kids — who are undoubtedly petrified for their friend and already feeling endless guilt — is helpful at this point.

IF she — god forbid — has been abducted, there’s no one to blame than the person who did it.
Agree- now is not the time.

All humans should look out for each other...period, end of story.

There will be plenty of time for Monday-morning quarterbacking when she is safe at home.

The only detail we know for sure is that she isn't where she is supposed to be.

But if her good friends thought she was staying the night, and they knew she was very drunk, wouldn't they help her figure out who was going to stay with her and where she would stay? Leaving her very inebriated alone with a crowd of 100 other high partiers is not something you do to a friend.
I agree 100 percent. But according to SS she did. She left without her. But maybe Kiely wanted to stay because thier was a boy she liked? I have done that myself. Or when she told her she was planning to stay the night maybe her best friend covered for her / like don't tell my mom but I am staying longer my mom is asleep. It was probably the party of the year. Something everyone was looking forward too.

These are young kids navigating adult decisions with alcohol and probably other substances involved.

What could go wrong with over a 250 16 years old's and young adults with alcohol present?!

16 years olds? That's still a child in my eyes.

At this point I do know one thing everyone is on Tik Tik or Instagram and everyone documents in real-time - these kids needs to check all thier social media and see if she's on them.

Every single selfie/video. I am 10000 percent sure there were plenty taken that night.

(All my own opinion).

I had no idea the party was that large.
I thought it was a small community, wonder if it was composed of mostly local high schoolers or non locals.
And if there was a lot that didn’t live in the area - were they camping at the campsite? If not, where were they staying after partying all night?
Based on what my younger cousins say who live in the area (but were out of town when this party happened), most people who go just sleep in the cars, in camping chairs, some throw sleeping bags on the ground, they just party until they pass out. It’s not “camping” in the sense that you’re thinking. It’s cars parked all around w/ their headlights on and music playing (taking turns so batteries don’t die), people wandering group to group, and then eventually just falling asleep somewhere.

Based on what my younger cousins say who live in the area (but were out of town when this party happened), most people who go just sleep in the cars, in camping chairs, some throw sleeping bags on the ground, they just party until they pass out. It’s not “camping” in the sense that you’re thinking. It’s cars parked all around w/ their headlights on and music playing (taking turns so batteries don’t die), people wandering group to group, and then eventually just falling asleep somewhere.
This is exactly how I picture it. There’s a difference between “party” camping, “family campground” camping, and “real” / “hiked-in” camping.

So it’s more of a party in the woods place?

Not a place where families pay for a designated place to bring their camper or RV for the weekend?

With nothing really new coming to light overnight, I have spent some time this morning reviewing what we know, and one statement from her friend has me wondering if it means more than it seems to.

"I know that she wasn't in the right mindset or state to drive.

Maybe I am reading way too much into this, but if she were just inebriated, it seems her friend may have just said so, or said she was in no condition to drive. But to say that she wasn't in the right "mindset" hints to me that perhaps she was upset about something, as well as inebriated. Did Kiely have a boyfriend or s/o who was supposed to have met her at the party and didn't? Did she have a bf or s/o that did not want her to attend the party? Did she have a bf or s/o that did attend the party, but maybe was not showing her enough attention, or perhaps felt she was not showing them enough attention? Did she have any type of argument or have words with anyone there, including her friend(s)? Was she bothered by anyone there who may have had an interest in her?

I am sure that there are people that were there who can answer those questions, and if any of those answers could have any bearing on this case, I hope they will share anything they know with LE. None of them may be important, and I may be grasping at straws, but something about her friend's words just struck me as maybe carefully chosen. JMO

I agree 100 percent. But according to SS she did. She left without her. But maybe Kiely wanted to stay because thier was a boy she liked? I have done that myself. Or when she told her she was planning to stay the night maybe her best friend covered for her / like don't tell my mom but I am staying longer my mom is asleep. It was probably the party of the year. Something everyone was looking forward too.

These are young kids navigating adult decisions with alcohol and probably other substances involved.

What could go wrong with over a 250 16 years old's and young adults with alcohol present?!

16 years olds? That's still a child in my eyes.

At this point I do know one thing everyone is on Tik Tik or Instagram and everyone documents in real-time - these kids needs to check all thier social media and see if she's on them.

Every single selfie/video. I am 10000 percent sure there were plenty taken that night.

(All my own opinion).
Who was she seen talking with last?

Ran a search on agencies in this area that use APLR and if current, Placer County Sheriff Dept. uses Vigilant Solutions for APLR's. Quantity and location unknown. Surely a part to the investigation throughout the radius from Prosser. Prolly not likely, but just hope there is one on each possible road exit out of the radius if abducted by/remained in K's own vehicle. AMOO

Flightradar24

CHP helicopter N947HP is back up in the air (7:30 am PST) running I-80 from Donner Pass to the intersection of HIghway 89 and north on 89 to the Prosser Lake turnoff.

Not seeing now, likely the transponder was turned off.

Adding: The CHP helicopter flight originated at the CHP regional office in Auburn, CA.

They flew along I-80 all the way. Might be dropping off personnel at the search site?

I still think they should have done an Amber alert and got that car license plate # and image up on those big alert boards along the major highways.

I think the most likely route to take her in an abduction would be along I-80 west to the Sacto/ San Jose / Bay area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther