Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni, 16, missing from a large party @ Prosser Family Campground, car not found, Truckee, 6 Aug 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Park Rangers have the same legal authority of police inside of the park district, but they have many miles of land to cover so they may not cover every campground every evening. If another camper was going to make a complaint I could see them first calling police, not understanding the legal authorities the rangers have, and assuming non-park law enforcement was the best way to go.
A camper not at the party is likely to call police, not rangers. However, they also might contact the campground host and have the host do the standard protocol (which also means calling the local LE). These days, rangers are stretched really thin, and may be nowhere near this campground. LE is reliably close here. Plus, several officers would be needed to disperse that many people.

These are hardy kids and that area keeps patagonia sierra trading post and REI in business. It snows there is April / May. 50'sa nd 60's is warm for there. The town they live in - Truckee - is inside the Forest. This area of the gathering is remote, dark-dark, no lights, no electricity etc And it's not so much to hide from authorities as it is that it is beautiful amazing place there are no words. I would definitely not perceive this a party analagous to a house party or a party at what one would think of as a 'campground'. This area is remote. The area is unique. Cell service is not always avail. It's pure darkness at night, except for stars and moonlight, beautiful. Fire ban so no fires were safe to have that night.
How odd, so no fires. Can’t imagine a gathering of teenagers and young adults in the woods without a bonfire. Are there not designated fire pits?

These are hardy kids and that area keeps patagonia sierra trading post and REI in business. It snows there is April / May. 50'sa nd 60's is warm for there. The town they live in - Truckee - is inside the Forest. This area of the gathering is remote, dark-dark, no lights, no electricity etc And it's not so much to hide from authorities as it is that it is beautiful amazing place there are no words. I would definitely not perceive this a party analagous to a house party or a party at what one would think of as a 'campground'. This area is remote. The area is unique. Cell service is not always avail. It's pure darkness at night, except for stars and moonlight, beautiful. Fire ban so no fires were safe to have that night.
So, were they gathering outside the Prosser family campground, not in it?

Nope, not fact at all. Upthread we were discussing possible reasons for the last seen time being relatively early in terms of times parties usually end. I gave the possibility of the party being broken up as a potential reason, based on others’ posts that it would be difficult to host a 100+ person party at a campground with other lots occupied, without one of the other camp groups calling rangers or LE.
It would not have been broken up necessarily at all <modsnip> Le does not patrol that area. It would be the rangers and they don't come out that often. This area is remote. The town of Truckee is in the national forest. The area is unique, not like a park or state park. Its national forest.. Prosser is remote, no lights, no electricity, vault toilets, there is no campground 'host' etc. They held the party there because of these reasons. These are hardy kids in a town that keeps patagonia rei and sierra trading post in business. It snows in May and being in the wild of remoteness is what they know. It's dark dark at night except for stars and moon light, fire ban so no fire was going.
We lived in the area for a few months

Last edited by a moderator:
How odd, so no fires. Can’t imagine a gathering of teenagers and young adults in the woods without a bonfire. Are there not designated fire pits?
There are fire pits but they can't be used.... wildfires in ca are currently destroying homes towns and people have been killed.
This is national forest and no bonfires are ever allowed; even without fire ban.

So, were they gathering outside the Prosser family campground, not in it?
I don't know the answer to this... it would not necessarily matter. The area is remote either way. It's not like you enter the camground and it's developed. It has open areas without trees for parking, vault toilets, picnic tables. This is national forest ...campgrounds are not like in state parks or in a town.

Sure is quiet, as far as new information.

The articles say "her phone has been out of service since the party". Does that mean turned off? Or she's out of range of service?

It would be interesting to know if something happened at the party that upset her enough to cause her run off for awhile.

A camper not at the party is likely to call police, not rangers. However, they also might contact the campground host and have the host do the standard protocol (which also means calling the local LE). These days, rangers are stretched really thin, and may be nowhere near this campground. LE is reliably close here. Plus, several officers would be needed to disperse that many people.
<modsnip>
It's the park rangers territory; who may call in le and le may respond if called directly but in our experience that it not how it's worked in national forest. It's a good place to have a party and this was not the first one am sure. This area is remote, dark-dark at night, no electricity no lights no one around. I personally do not think the party was 'broken up' at all. <modsnip>
We lived in Truckee.

There is no campground host here. Le does not patrol that area. It's a good place to have a party and this was not the first one am sure. This area is remote, dark-dark at night, no electricity no lights no one around. I personally do not think the party was 'broken up' at all. <modsnip>
We lived in Truckee.
Since no fires are allowed, I'm guessing the kids used battery powered camping lights and/or car lights to illuminate the area of the party and provide music. Those light sources don't last forever, and it gets cold later at night. My guess is that the party ended naturally because kids were getting chilled and hungry for real food. Some may have had a curfew.

There is a lot of shoreline at Prosser Lake that is vehicle accessible, it would be easy to drive into water. People back up right to the edge during the day and bbq / fish / kayak etc.

There are also a ton of fire roads, the locals know and use them often.

Every adjacent road should be checked in case she crashed on one. Sometimes the quickest way somewhere out there is on a fire road, so she could have been taking a shortcut… but some of these roads have dangerous spots, steep drops, poor signage and lots of forks on which one could easily get lost on.

Last edited:
There is a lot of shoreline at Prosser Lake that is vehicle accessible, it would be easy to drive into water. People back up right to the edge during the day and bbq / fish / kayak etc.

Every adjacent road should be checked in case she crashed on one. Sometimes the quickest way somewhere out there is on a fire road, so she have could have been taking a shortcut… but some of these roads have dangerous spots, steep drops, poor signage and lots of forks on which one could easily get lost on.
Yea...afraid of this.... if she drove off... do we know if she drove off? I read last sighting 1230 am but not that they know she drove or was in her car with someone else driing; just that car is missing too High possibility this happened - a crash - but didn't know if driving off was known as fact

Yea...afraid of this.... if she drove off... do we know if she drove off? I read last sighting 1230 am but not that they know she drove or was in her car with someone else driing; just that car is missing too High possibility this happened - a crash - but didn't know if driving off was known as fact

Yes, at this point all we know is that Kiely is missing since 12:30 a.m., her car is missing and her phone is apparently off. We don’t even know if she, her car and her phone are together, although it’s more likely than not that they are IMO. I’m sure LE is investigating and questioning party-goers. I also think it’s reasonable to assume that family and friends are driving those roads looking for any sign that she went off the road. They must be frantic!
JMO

To correct the path of the conversation, the Placer county sheriff and all local msm publications statements say:

"Kiely Rodni, 16, was last seen at about 12:30 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 6, a party attended by approximately 100
kids near the Prosser Family Campground in Truckee, the Placer County Sheriff’s Office said."

They were not IN the campground... they would not hold the party IN the campground. They would not want to bother other campers if there and they don't need to be in any developed type of space and know where there are meadows open spaces caves and spaces to gather. This is their forest as they live around and in it...

Yes, at this point all we know is that Kiely is missing since 12:30 a.m., her car is missing and her phone is apparently off. We don’t even know if she, her car and her phone are together, although it’s more likely than not that they are IMO. I’m sure LE is investigating and questioning party-goers. I also think it’s reasonable to assume that family and friends are driving those roads looking for any sign that she went off the road. They must be frantic!
JMO
Yes... I think it's better if she went off road rather than taken...imo...

Reward has increased to 10K for information that leads to her whereabouts.

Every adjacent road should be checked in case she crashed on one. Sometimes the quickest way somewhere out there is on a fire road, so she could have been taking a shortcut… but some of these roads have dangerous spots, steep drops, poor signage and lots of forks on which one could easily get lost on.
This seems most likely- follow her likely route very carefully

I wish I was nearby and could help search.

Yes... I think it's better if she went off road rather than taken...imo...

Yes, I agree, and IMO it’s even better if she’s a runaway, rather than being injured or worse in an accident, as I posted early in the thread. Not that it’s safe to be a runaway, but I have more hope of her return if that’s the case. It’s early yet, but her family would be wise to set up a FB page, Instagram, Tik Tok, etc dedicated to finding her and post messages to her on it. That’s what the family of the missing girl I mentioned at the outset did, even though they were afraid she was dead at some points. The young lady saw their loving posts and eventually she was motivated to get in touch. Whatever has happened to Kiely, I hope for a good outcome!

Reward has increased to 10K for information that leads to her whereabouts.

What is the significance of her having "17" tattooed on her rib, if anything? What does that symbolize, if anyone knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie