Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #10

This certainly isn’t the case in the state of New Jersey, where parents were arrested because they’d allowed beer at their son’s high school graduation party, held in their home, and supervised by them.

There was also a case involving a paramedic who allowed his minor cousin to drink at a party in his home: he lost his job and was arrested.
The legal drinking age in California is 21, however anybody under that age can possess alcohol in a private setting. Except while traveling in cars. If a parent, guardian, spouse, or other responsible relative age 21 or older is present, then they are allowed to consume alcoholic beverages.

What Is The Legal Drinking Age In California? - Inland Empire

ieshineon.com/faq/what-is-the-legal-drinking-age-in-california.html

These are the different laws in CA for drinking. lots of wiggle room.
iirc, New Jersey has a parent law like CA, not sure if it includes cousins. In CA it does include responsible relatives.

Alcohol​

Guide to Laws About Alcohol in California​

beer.jpg
Here’s what you need to know about buying, selling, or drinking alcohol in the state of California. For other states and cities, see our Guide to Laws about Alcohol in the U.S., and Los Angeles, and San Francisco.

1. Alcohol and Driving

What are the laws about driving drunk or buzzed?

You can be charged with a DUI (Driving Under the Influence of alcohol) if you are found to be driving with a blood-alcohol level of .08% or more.1 You can most likely stay below this level if you drink no more than 1 drink per hour, but this varies by your body type and weight.
But even if you are below this limit, if you are found to have any alcohol in your system while driving, you could be charged with what is sometimes called “wet reckless” driving. See Guide to Laws about Driving for more on reckless driving.
Your blood-alcohol limit is even lower if you are:
  • Under 21= .01% or more.2
  • Driving a commercial vehicle (including Uber or Lyft)3= .04% or more4

What are open container laws in California?

In California it is illegal to:
  • drink alcohol in a car5
  • possess an open container of alcohol in a car,6 meaning any container, including a bottle, can, cup, etc, that has been opened, or where the seal has been broken, or when any alcohol has been removed in any way, even if the container is now closed
  • store or keep an open container in a car, except for the trunk.7 If the vehicle does not have a trunk and is not an “off-highway” vehicle as defined in Section 38012, the container can be kept in some other area of the vehicle that is not normally occupied by the driver or passengers. This could be considered the back part of a hatchback, but does not include a utility compartment or glove compartment. If the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk and is an “off-highway” vehicle defined in Section 38012, the container can be kept in a locked container, which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device.

Do open container laws apply to buses, taxis, Uber, limo? Is it legal to drink alcohol in an Uber or Lyft?

The open container laws above do NOT apply to passengers in a privately chartered bus, taxi, limo, or pedicab (but these companies can have their own rules as to whether to allow drinking or not). It is not yet clear whether this includes Uber or Lyft.
California open container laws also don’t apply to the living quarters of an RV, housecar or camper.8

Are there any laws that apply specifically to people under 21?

A few more laws apply to drivers or passengers under 21.9

Do open container laws apply to marijuana?

Yes, see our Guide to Laws for Drivers.

What happens if I get into a car accident while under the influence of alcohol or drugs?

See our Guide to Car Accident Law.

2. When/where you can drink or be drunk

When are the hours I can get a drink in this town?

A licensed restaurant, bar, grocery store or other retail business in California may sell and serve alcohol only between the hours of 6am and 2am (the following day), 7 days per week. In other words, alcohol may NOT be served in the 4 hour period between 2am and 6am.10
In addition, these establishments are prohibited from even allowing people to consume alcohol on their premises during this 4 hour period.11

Can I drink alcohol in public?

Laws vary by city, but most cities do NOT allow you to drink alcohol in public. See Los Angeles Alcohol Laws.

Is it illegal to be drunk in public?

Yes. You may not be so drunk (or high on drugs) that you are unable to exercise care for your own or others’ safety. It is also illegal to be so drunk that you are blocking or preventing the use of the sidewalk or public street. This is called public intoxication12

Is it illegal to simply carry alcohol in public?

It varies by city. See Los Angeles Alcohol Laws, and San Francisco Alcohol Laws

Is it illegal to serve alcohol to a drunk person?

Yes. “Every person who sells, furnishes, gives, or causes to be sold, furnished, or given away, any alcoholic beverage to any habitual or common drunkard or to any obviously intoxicated person is guilty of a misdemeanor.”13

3. Alcohol & minors

What are my obligations as to alcohol and children?

If you sell or give alcohol to a person under 21 years old, you could be found guilty of a crime, with a fine of up to $250 and 24 hrs of community service. If the intoxicated underage person then injures anyone, you could be found guilty of an additional crime, with a fine of up to $1,000 and/or jail time of up to 1 year.14
If you allow your child and/or your child’s friends, who are under 18 years old, to drink alcohol or use drugs at your home, AND you then knowingly allow any of them to drive, AND any of them cause an accident, you could be guilty of a crime, with a $1,000 fine and/or jail time of up to 1 year.15
Also check out our Guide to Laws for Parents.

4. Alcohol & events

Is it legal to serve or sell alcohol at events? Do I need a permit?

In general, for all events open to the general public where alcohol is served or sold, you generally must hire a catering/bartending service licensed by the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC). Or if you are a non-profit (see below), you can get a special 1-day permit from ABC.
If (and only if) all of the following apply, you do not need a permit or license to provide alcohol at an event:16
  • It’s a private party (invited guests only, not open to the public);
  • You are providing the alcohol free of charge (not even indirectly selling alcohol such as charging for admission); and
  • The premises are not generally used for serving or storing alcohol (such as a bar)
So, if you have a cash bar at a private event (not open to the public), you need to hire a caterer or bartender licensed with ABC (unless you are a non profit – see below).
And if you provide free alcohol at an event open to the general public, you need to hire a caterer or bartender licensed with ABC.

What if we just ask for “donations” for the alcohol at our event?

You are entering a gray area with this. If it can be construed that the donations are really a way to charge for the alcohol, then you may have a problem.
Also, remember, if the event is open to the public at all, even if you are not charging for the alcohol, you need to hire an ABC-licensed bartender or caterer.

Can I get a temporary event permit to serve or sell alcohol?

Only if you are a 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(4) non profit organization. You can get a special daily license authorizing the sale of distilled spirits, wine and beer for $25 per day.17
If you are NOT a non-profit, and it is NOT a private party (see above), you will need to hire a caterer/bartender licensed with ABC.

Is it illegal to serve alcohol to a drunk person?

Yes (see above).

5. Alcohol & your business

Can my business provide alcohol to my customers?

Generally you must have a license from the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control to sell or provide free alcohol to customers. The only current exception is for salons (see below). For example, if you are an art gallery, furniture store, clothing store, jewelry store, etc. you cannot legally provide any alcohol to customers unless you get a license from ABC.18

Do servers and bartenders need to be certified in order to serve alcohol?​

Yes, as of July 1, 2022, bartenders, servers, waiters, and others who serve alcohol must undergo a 4 hour training and pass an exam in order to be certified. The training relates to how alcohol affects the body, consequences of over-serving, and how to deal with drunk customers. This new requirement comes from the Responsible Beverage Service Training Act, also known as Assembly Bill 1221, passed in 2017.

Is a salon allowed to serve alcohol without a liquor license?

As of January 2017, hair salons, beauty salons and barbershops are legally allowed to serve complimentary beer or wine without getting any special permit or license. Salons may serve up to 12 ounces of beer or 6 ounces of wine, but only until 10p.19

Hi I’m late to this post and not sure if it’s already been discussed or I’m even posting in the right place (I find websleuths quite tricky to navigate lol).
I had a thought about the auto repair guy’s recollection of Kiely. Maybe it wasn’t her and someone who just looked like her? Maybe the reason the girl and boy were acting weird is because Kiely was in the trunk. Idk. Just a thought.

The legal drinking age in California is 21, however anybody under that age can possess alcohol in a private setting. Except while traveling in cars. If a parent, guardian, spouse, or other responsible relative age 21 or older is present, then they are allowed to consume alcoholic beverages.

What Is The Legal Drinking Age In California? - Inland Empire

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Prosser campground a public setting, and not a private setting, meaning they can't be under 21 to drink?

Last edited:
Hi I’m late to this post and not sure if it’s already been discussed or I’m even posting in the right place (I find websleuths quite tricky to navigate lol). I had a thought about the auto repair guy’s recollection of Kiely. Maybe it wasn’t her and someone who just looked like her? Maybe the reason the girl and boy were acting weird is because Kiely was in the trunk. Idk. Just a thought.
rbbm

Hi @Liverpool86, welcome to the KR case discussion. Yes, this possibility has been explored here.

IIRC, there are six "groups" of reactions to Nick, the Roadside Assistance (RA) guy's story he told Doug Bishop on 8/19.

1. Nick's story is either not legit or he recalled a service call that is irrelevant to this case (e.g. wrong car).

2. Nick's story is legit, but he saw KR (alive) with her car and another person on Friday, 8/5 before the party.

3. Nick's story is legit, and he possibly saw KR alive with her car with another person on 8/6 after the party.

4. Nick's story is legit, he possibly saw someone that looked like KR with KR's car on 8/6, but KR was alive somewhere else.

5. Nick's story is legit, he possibly saw someone that looked like KR on 8/6, and KR was deceased in the back of her car.

6. No idea what to make of Nick's story and waiting to hear what LE says about it, if they ever do.

Looks like you might be considering the #5 scenario. I personally waiver between #3, #4 and #5. Everyone here is respectfully entitled to their own interpretation of this information. And yes, we have had lively debates about it. ;)

I personally don't want to open up the debate again... you are welcome to go back through the threads to 9/2 when AWP released their public video that included Doug's interview with Nick. I just thought I'd try to categorize our reactions.

IMO.

ET: fix typo, clarify #4

Last edited:
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Prosser campground a public setting, and not a private setting?
rs&bbm

Further, Prosser Family Campground is part of the Tahoe National Forest. As such it is on federal land, which is owned and managed by the U.S. Forrest Service. Tahoe National Forest - Prosser Family Campground

Unless someone here already knows the laws or regulations about what constitutes legal alcohol consumption vs. underage drinking, marijuana use, etc. on federal lands, that could be a good sleuthing question, IMO.

IOW, CA State laws about alcohol and marijuana use may not apply to activity on Prosser Campground property.

ET: to add "rs"

Last edited:
Federal law regarding alcohol and minors with ref to federal parklands, which includes where both the alleged party took place and K was found, via alcohol policy niaaa nih gov:

36 C.F.R. § 2.35
Code of Federal Regulations
Title 36 - Parks, Forests, and Public Property
CHAPTER I - NATIONAL PARK SERVICE, DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
PART 2 - RESOURCE PROTECTION, PUBLIC USE AND RECREATION
§ 2.35. Alcoholic beverages and controlled substances

• (a) Alcoholic beverages.
    • (2) The following are prohibited:
      • (i) The sale or gift of an alcoholic beverage to a person under 21 years of age, except where allowed by State law. In a State where a lower minimum age is established, that age limit will apply for purposes of this subparagraph.
      • (ii) The possession of an alcoholic beverage by a person under 21 years of age, except where allowed by State law. In a State where a lower minimum age is established, that age will apply for purposes of this subparagraph.
...and, regarding controlled substances:

• (b) Controlled substances. The following are prohibited:
    • (1) The delivery of a controlled substance, except when distribution is made by a practitioner in accordance with applicable law. For the purposes of this paragraph, delivery means the actual, attempted or constructive transfer of a controlled substance whether or not there exists an agency relationship.
    • (2) The possession of a controlled substance, unless such substance was obtained by the possessor directly, or pursuant to a valid prescription or order, from a practitioner acting in the course of professional practice or otherwise allowed by Federal or State law.
  • (c) Presence in a park area when under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance to a degree that may endanger oneself or another person, or damage property or park resources, is prohibited.
Jennifer Eberlien, the Regional Forester of the Pacific Southwest Region of the USDA Forest Service (which includes alleged party and the area K and her car were found), ordered in August 2021, that:

Pursuant to 16 U.S.C. § 551 and 36 C.F.R. § 261.50 (a) and (b), and to provide for public safety, the following acts are prohibited on National Forest System lands, roads, and trails within the States of California, Nevada and Oregon under my jurisdiction. This Order is effective from October 5, 2021, through October 4, 2024.

Possessing a beverage which is defined as an alcoholic beverage by state law in the following situations:

a. In an open container in a motor vehicle or off-highway vehicle, or

b. By any person under 21 years of age.

36 C.F.R. § 261.58(bb).

From both @Ixchel13's comprehensive Cali state law on alcohol and this federal lands law, along with the current supervisor's order, it is clear that any underage drinking (eta: or use of controlled substances) that took place that night in that area was illegal.

Federal law regarding alcohol and minors with ref to federal parklands, which includes where both the alleged party took place and K was found, via alcohol policy niaaa nih gov:

36 C.F.R. § 2.35

• (i) The sale or gift of an alcoholic beverage to a person under 21 years of age, except where allowed by State law. In a State where a lower minimum age is established, that age limit will apply for purposes of this subparagraph.
      • (ii) The possession of an alcoholic beverage by a person under 21 years of age, except where allowed by State law. In a State where a lower minimum age is established, that age will apply for purposes of this subparagraph.

• (1) The delivery of a controlled substance, except when distribution is made by a practitioner in accordance with applicable law. For the purposes of this paragraph, delivery means the actual, attempted or constructive transfer of a controlled substance whether or not there exists an agency relationship.
    • (2) The possession of a controlled substance, unless such substance was obtained by the possessor directly, or pursuant to a valid prescription or order, from a practitioner acting in the course of professional practice or otherwise allowed by Federal or State law.
  • (c) Presence in a park area when under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance to a degree that may endanger oneself or another person, or damage property or park resources, is prohibited.
Jennifer Eberlien, the Regional Forester of the Pacific Southwest Region of the USDA Forest Service (which includes alleged party and the area K and her car were found), ordered in August 2021, that:

Pursuant to 16 U.S.C. § 551 and 36 C.F.R. § 261.50 (a) and (b), and to provide for public safety, the following acts are prohibited on National Forest System lands, roads, and trails within the States of California, Nevada and Oregon under my jurisdiction. This Order is effective from October 5, 2021, through October 4, 2024.

Possessing a beverage which is defined as an alcoholic beverage by state law in the following situations:

36 C.F.R. § 261.58(bb).

From both @Ixchel13's comprehensive Cali state law on alcohol and this federal lands law, along with the current supervisor's order, it is clear that any underage drinking (eta: or use of controlled substances) that took place that night in that area was illegal.
snpped from above and bolded

snpped from above and bolded

California is 21 and over, from @Ixchel13 :

3. Alcohol & minors

What are my obligations as to alcohol and children?

If you sell or give alcohol to a person under 21 years old, you could be found guilty of a crime, with a fine of up to $250 and 24 hrs of community service. If the intoxicated underage person then injures anyone, you could be found guilty of an additional crime, with a fine of up to $1,000 and/or jail time of up to 1 year.14
If you allow your child and/or your child’s friends, who are under 18 years old, to drink alcohol or use drugs at your home, AND you then knowingly allow any of them to drive, AND any of them cause an accident, you could be guilty of a crime, with a $1,000 fine and/or jail time of up to 1 year.15
Also check out our Guide to Laws for Parents.

Sure, parents in a private setting can let minors drink, but this is on federal public land. eta: and there were allegedly no parents/guardians present.

Last edited:
LE nor FBI has not said a thing about whether or not relatives, parents/guardians were there. If I missed it, can you provide a link, tayaway, I am not sure allegedly works
when talking about what LE has said, and it would have to come from them for something so important. TIA

Last edited:
I supplied the link to CA liquor laws. They are very thorough and not up to interpretation, iirc. they are set laws.
There IS wiggle room. Also, if you read it entirely, they allow for catering and alcohol
licenses for rivate events, which they also say minors can drink at if the right guardians are there.
I do not agree with these laws, but there they are.

LE nor FBI has not said a thing about whether or not relatives, parents/guardians were there. If I missed it, can you provide a link, I am not sure allegedly works
when talking about what LE has said, and it would have to come from them for something so important. TIA

It's alleged, nothing has been confirmed either way by LE as it's an ongoing investigation. Whether her parent/guardian was there or not is not relevant, as K was found on federal lands, near where the alleged party took place. Both Cali law and federal law and Eberlien's order state nobody under 21 is allowed to drink alcohol there.

It was not a private event. It was a public party on federal lands.

36 C.F.R. § 2.35

36 C.F.R. § 261.58(bb).

Not sure if you are reading all the way down, you have posted a federal guideline that also says at the bottom that they will abide by state underage drinking laws, and they say it twice in one paragraph which I bolded for you.

It's alleged, nothing has been confirmed either way by LE as it's an ongoing investigation. Whether her parent/guardian was there or not is not relevant, as K was found on federal lands, near where the alleged party took place. Both Cali law and federal law and Eberlien's order state nobody under 21 is allowed to drink alcohol there.

again, we do not know if it was an official private event or not. Also, who alleged that% The only people they have said were there were KR, Mags and SS. Yes, LE has not confirmed
whether or not there was a catering license, if any or no chaperones were there, or supposed to be there, nothing like that AT ALL..

Last edited:
Someone hung lights in the trees, there were generators there, someone printed up certificates for the winners of the boxing matches, someone organized it, again, we do not know whom. Also, they started taking down the lights and trees as the younger people were leaving.

It was also noted by SS that strangers, and older, started arriving to the prearranged party. No one has said whether they were invited but it does not seem like it.

also, would like to correct your interpretation of what I said, I never implied that KRs parent was there! I would never imply that, because #1 Lindsey has already said so many ways that she was at home, and was going to nap until KR came home. Stepdad was also home.

Someone hung lights in the trees, there were generators there, someone printed up certificates for the winners of the boxing matches, someone organized it, again, we do not know whom. Also, they started taking down the lights and trees as the younger people were leaving.

It was also noted by SS that strangers, and older, started arriving to the prearranged party. No one has said whether they were invited but it does not seem like it.
IMOO, I believe it was a community party not with 400 people and suspicious Old Outsiders . That is the narrative the community wants so as to blame it on OUTSIDERS.

and,

Rules vary from park to park as to where alcohol is legal and where it isn’t, but in most parks, drinking is legal on campgrounds and in most public-use areas, and illegal in most parking lots, pull-outs, and park buildings. Support the Parks Foundation By Packing A Brew
Email: mfuller@afar.com

A Guide to Drinking (Legally) In the National Parks - AFAR Media

View attachment 369302
www.afar.com/magazine/a-guide-to-drinking-legally-in-the-national-parks
so.....most parks let you drink And, federal bows to state afa minors drinking laws.
IMO people there are getting their ducks in a row and attorneys are finding the wiggle room. speculation This is just about alcohol though. drugs are a different story altogether.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back