Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #10

If we assume RN did go on a call to Boca on Saturday, and we are assuming he worked for a AAA contractor, some things to keep in mind:

The young woman did not have a working cellphone.

KR was a minor, and thus not able to have her own AAA membership. (Unclear if minors can be added to family plans.)

RN said the couple used the young man's phone to call for assistance and when he tried the number, no one answered.

POSSIBLE the young man was 18+ and it was his AAA membership and phone--i.e. he was the passenger in the young woman's vehicle, similarly to pizzaman and myself using our memberships for other people's car problems.

I wonder how many calls they would have had coming in for that area that weekend? It seems LE would know who made a call that would have RN at/near Boca on Saturday morning? Footage from his vehicle would be very useful, of course. But so would records of incoming calls.

If we assume RN did go on a call to Boca on Saturday, and we are assuming he worked for a AAA contractor, some things to keep in mind:

The young woman did not have a working cellphone.

KR was a minor, and thus not able to have her own AAA membership. (Unclear if minors can be added to family plans.)

RN said the couple used the young man's phone to call for assistance and when he tried the number, no one answered.

POSSIBLE the young man was 18+ and it was his AAA membership and phone--i.e. he was the passenger in the young woman's vehicle, similarly to pizzaman and myself using our memberships for other people's car problems.

I wonder how many calls they would have had coming in for that area that weekend? It seems LE would know who made a call that would have RN at/near Boca on Saturday morning? Footage from his vehicle would be very useful, of course. But so would records of incoming calls.

This isn't directed just at you since I know there are some who agree with you, but I'm just curious what the motivation is to believe this version of events? Is it just to suggest that AWP and the tow guy aren't mistaken? If the motivation isn't to imply that this wasn't an accident, I don't really get why some are so attached to a theory that, IMO, has been disproven by video of a car going into the water at exactly the area Kiely's was found at the exact same time her phone died. Seems this theory that she was alive and called for a tow the next day is not consistent with what can be seen on video.

I'd be more on-board with a thread wondering who the tow guy actually saw that night because from the description he gave, it sounded like maybe that young woman was in trouble of some sort, like maybe she was trying to send him a message by pretending not to know how a seat belt works.

MOO.

Just want to reiterate I am not attached to any theory or outcome.

I think it is possible the firecams show KR entering Prosser AND I think it is possible Roadside Nick saw her Saturday morning.

I do not feel either has been 100% ruled out OR in. I do not know what happened other than Kiely died accidentally from drowning and AWP found her in her SUV in Prosser on August 21.

@BeginnerSleuther There is a real "party culture" in the Truckee area, and apparently a lot was going on that weekend, so RN may well have seen something else going on that could be under investigation.

I do personally do believe RN did go on a call to Boca, and did have the interaction he described. I have NO idea who he saw. I'm not discounting him because I think some of AWP's conduct/ethics may be questionable.

And then IF he saw KR, when did she drown?

IF the firecams show KR entering Prosser, it is obvious, clear cut, end of story.

It would 100% clear things up (for me) if LE clarified the firecam and/or RN's claims or if this is still an open investigation. I don't personally care about AWP. I'm curious why this is still open, since it seems to still be open?

Hope this makes sense!

Just want to reiterate I am not attached to any theory or outcome.

I think it is possible the firecams show KR entering Prosser AND I think it is possible Roadside Nick saw her Saturday morning.

I do not feel either has been 100% ruled out OR in. I do not know what happened other than Kiely died accidentally from drowning and AWP found her in her SUV in Prosser on August 21.

@BeginnerSleuther There is a real "party culture" in the Truckee area, and apparently a lot was going on that weekend, so RN may well have seen something else going on that could be under investigation.

I do personally do believe RN did go on a call to Boca, and did have the interaction he described. I have NO idea who he saw. I'm not discounting him because I think some of AWP's conduct/ethics may be questionable.

And then IF he saw KR, when did she drown?

IF the firecams show KR entering Prosser, it is obvious, clear cut, end of story.

It would 100% clear things up (for me) if LE clarified the firecam and/or RN's claims or if this is still an open investigation. I don't personally care about AWP. I'm curious why this is still open, since it seems to still be open?

Hope this makes sense!

I see things different than you. I see it as a fact that the fire cams show Kiely's car going into the lake because that's exactly where it was found. Continuing with that fact I believe it's impossible for the roadside guy to see her the next day because she was inside her car in the lake. JMO.

10/13/22

TRUCKEE Calif. (KOLO) -The death of Kiely Rodni, a 16-year-old missing from a party near Truckee until she was found in Prosser Lake two weeks later, is accidental, the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office said Thursday.

“This ruling is based on the pathologist’s finding that her death was the result of drowning and that there was no other information to suggest she was the victim of foul play,” the sheriff’s office said.

The sheriff’s office said it would work with the family to evaluate any other information. It asked the news media and the public to respect the family’s privacy.

[..]

A group of volunteer divers with sonar equipment called Adventures with Purpose found her inside her vehicle in about 14 feet of water near the shore at Prosser Reservoir.

How she ended up in the water is under investigation by the California Highway Patrol’s major accident investigation team, The Associated Press reported.

[..]

Adventures With Purpose released this statement:

“Our thoughts and prayers are with Kiely and her family. We trust today that a thorough investigation has been completed and will stand by the decisions released in their findings.”

Seems to me the only investigation that was open at press time above was the vehicle accident investigation by the CHP (on how the vehicle entered the water) and not any criminal investigation. The cause of death and manner of death have already been released.

AWP released a statement that they will stand by the decision by the authorities-- not that authorities need their endorsement!

IMO, continuing to perpetuate an alleged emergency roadside service call by KR on a mystery date for what appears to be no reason other than to implicate and/or throw shade at an unnamed male wearing a baseball cap when the date of service is easily verifiable seems so disrespectful to the victim and her family.

Hopefully, reporter Steve Timko will follow-up on his report with a statement by CHP on the status of the crash/accident investigation.

How she ended up in the water is under investigation by the California Highway Patrol’s major accident investigation team, The Associated Press reported.
^^rsbm

The objective of the MAIT Program is to provide the CHP with the means to conduct in-depth investigations and analyses of major traffic collisions throughout the state. Investigations include the reconstruction of an incident and a study of the factors that may have contributed to the incident. The factors include environmental, human and mechanical and are associated with the three phases of a collision which are pre-collision, at-collision and post-collision. The ultimate objective of the program is the utilization of these identified causation factors to prevent collisions of a similar nature from recurring.

SBMFF

I wanted to add onto Beekarina's post something I posted a while back about Truckee being a party culture and "a cultural norm". The latter was said by Truckee Police Chief Adam McGill saw within a few months of moving to town. Yes, it's a dated article, but it doesn't sound like anything has changed in regards to the culture. Just the title gives you pause.

Truckee officials: Peers, residents enable youth drug use​

It's a good read to understand the party, drug and alcohol culture of Truckee.

“We talk about this being an underage drinking problem,” McGill said. “I agree, but really this is an adult problem. This is a cultural norm.”

An adult after she became sober:

“I started drinking at the age of 12, when I was in the sixth-grade.” she said. “… I loved it. I loved it from the moment it touched my lips, and I went to my first rehab center when I was 16 years old.”

It wasn’t until she was 31 that she became sober.

“My life in Incline Village was all about drugs and alcohol,” said Goates, adding that her suppliers included friends’ parents. “I could find it anywhere; I could get it anywhere.

Last edited:

10/13/22

TRUCKEE Calif. (KOLO) -The death of Kiely Rodni, a 16-year-old missing from a party near Truckee until she was found in Prosser Lake two weeks later, is accidental, the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office said Thursday.

“This ruling is based on the pathologist’s finding that her death was the result of drowning and that there was no other information to suggest she was the victim of foul play,” the sheriff’s office said.

The sheriff’s office said it would work with the family to evaluate any other information. It asked the news media and the public to respect the family’s privacy.

[..]

A group of volunteer divers with sonar equipment called Adventures with Purpose found her inside her vehicle in about 14 feet of water near the shore at Prosser Reservoir.

[..]

Adventures With Purpose released this statement:

“Our thoughts and prayers are with Kiely and her family. We trust today that a thorough investigation has been completed and will stand by the decisions released in their findings.”

Seems to me the only investigation that was open at press time above was the vehicle accident investigation by the CHP (on how the vehicle entered the water) and not any criminal investigation. The cause of death and manner of death have already been released.

AWP released a statement that they will stand by the decision by the authorities-- not that authorities need their endorsement!

IMO, continuing to perpetuate an alleged emergency roadside service call by KR on a mystery date for what appears to be no reason other than to implicate and/or throw shade at an unnamed male wearing a baseball cap when the date of service is easily verifiable seems so disrespectful to the victim and her family.

Hopefully, reporter Steve Timko will follow-up on his report with a statement by CHP on the status of the crash/accident investigation.

Hopefully it was also clear i was not implying foul play.

Knowing how her vehicle entered the water would likely also include when it entered the water, right?

Which is one reason I was curious if vehicle "black boxes" note the time and date of accident. It seems reasonable that they would, but I did not even know they existed prior to this thread so defer to anyone with experience/knowledge.

Hopefully it was also clear i was not implying foul play.

Knowing how her vehicle entered the water would likely also include when it entered the water, right?

Which is one reason I was curious if vehicle "black boxes" note the time and date of accident. It seems reasonable that they would, but I did not even know they existed prior to this thread so defer to anyone with experience/knowledge.

I think MAIT has all the same external environmental information that we have including underage alcohol consumption, dark campground, inexperienced driver, and KR's final GPS data and timestamp of the last transmission to corroborate the conclusions by NCSO--i.e., a tragic accident, and are investigating whether her vehicle may have contributed in any way such as failed breaks, steering, etc. I don't think it's disputed KP was the sole occupant of the vehicle.

IMO, KP became disoriented leaving the party and drove into the lake. From the autopsy report, I think KP's right shoe may have been caught up on the backseat headrest as she scrambled to the cargo area but I doubt Honda would ever be ruled negligent in this drowning death.

Black box information in cars​

Federal regulations require that “event data recorders” gather the following black box information in cars: (1) vehicle speed; (2) accelerator or throttle position; (3) frontal, side and curtain airbag deployment; (4) application of the brakes; (5) number of crash events; and (6) steering input. (49 CFR § 563.7)

Additionally, these devices must also gather data about: (a) the seat belt status of the driver and front passenger; (b) engagement of the ABS; and (c) the vehicle roll angle.

Its just sad ultimately that the family now has this clowns case attached to the death of their baby girl.
Kiely's mom both thanked AWP and graciously distanced herself from them. She condemned the harassment and threats made on SM. She tried to protect Kiely's friends. It's sad that they never got much credit for all they did in the initial searches.They were all trying to deal with their grief when this ridiculous story came out that Kiely was alive the day after her death.

Everyone should have the right to grieve without their lives being threatened. It's not much to ask.

I didn't believe AWP when they did a podcast claiming they found a blue shirt in Suzanne Morphew's case with buckshot holes, stab wounds, and human waste. I don't believe them now, either.

I thought it was poor taste to push the story again just before the holidays, the first the family will spend without Kiely.

I just wish certain youtubers would leave victim's families and friends alone.

Oct 13, 2022

There was no foul play in the death of a 16-year-old whose disappearance sparked a weeks-long search effort before her body was found in her car submerged in a Northern California reservoir, authorities said Thursday.

The body of Kiely Rodni, of Truckee, was found Aug. 23 by a volunteer dive team. She was last seen alive Aug. 6 at a party of hundreds of youth at a campground at Prosser Reservoir in Tahoe National Forest, about 165 miles northeast of San Francisco.

The Nevada County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement the coroner ruled Rodni’s death accidental.

[..]

Authorities said after Rodni’s body was found that they would conduct a toxicology test but have not shared the results. The Nevada County Sheriff’s Office didn’t immediately return a call Thursday seeking comment.

I didn't believe AWP when they did a podcast claiming they found a blue shirt in Suzanne Morphew's case with buckshot holes, stab wounds, and human waste. I don't believe them now, either.
^^rsbm

I just came across the video today (Nov 2020) and it was not AWP that made the claim about the blue shirt but a private party that summoned AWP to come to Salida to assist him in his individual search effort. This party already had photos of the blue shirt and the location coordinates where he personally found the shirt and wanted to begin a water search nearby but the waterways were frozen, preventing sonar or a boat to enter the water, and AWP left town.

IMO, since AWP had name notoriety, I think the private party tried using his association with AWP to push the news of the blue shirt -- seeking attention and/or gain for himself. From the photo I saw today, I understand why CBI didn't drop everything to jump on this discovery. It was clearly a nothingburger. JMO

I don't believe she was following GPS directions, it wasn't mentioned in any of the news articles and she was very familiar with the area. It's been speculated that she may have been distracted by her phone or something and had driven into the water before she realized she wasn't on the road. The final say from the authorities was that she accidentally drove into the reservoir.

MOO. A lot of it was covered over the course of the threads, but it's a pretty daunting task to read through them all.

Not sure if it's appropriate to put this here, but not sure if it needs it's own thread.

Reminds me of the lawsuit against Alex Jones

DAVID ROBERTSON, and DANIEL RODNI Plaintiffs
v.
RYAN UPCHURCH Defendant

ABSOLUTELY UNREAL!!! No family, grieving or otherwise, should have to deal with BS like this! And to the point he sent crazies out to get the family. I don't understand what this world is coming to. I can't even imagine everything being hunky dory in life, and then a tragic accident happens, and then the crazies come out and make your life a living hell. I wish I knew how to stop this sort of thing but I don't. It's so very tragic. :(

Part of the BS found on Pg 14:

1690591275435.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305