Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find My Phone also has a feature where somebody with access to your phone can ask for your location, and if the phone is off line, FmyP will tell you where the phone was when it went off line.

I don't know whether it works on older phones though.You have to have both the access and the save-last-place set up beforehand.

Mr. Carbuff and I have our phones set up to track each other, which is good when he's out on his bike because I can look and find out where he is. If he's out of range, I see a different message than I did the time his battery ran down on the ride.

It wouldn't surprise me if her mother had it set up so she could check on K's location in case of emergency, and that's the last ping they're talking about but that's just a guess on my part.

Were they valuable?

The only two reasons I could think of would be if someone tried to sell them, or to help identify her if they were found.
Since LE was treating Kiely’s disappearance as an abduction, they may have been alerting to the jewelry in case it was spotted being worn by someone else, or received as a “gift”. Or if the necklaces were found on the ground somewhere, it might be a clue to her last location.

Last edited:
no, it feels like she drove her car into water to me. the next reasonable hypothesis is OD then coverup. abduction is furthest from my mind.
It's something to keep in mind that most cases involving foul play, the victim knows the perp.

My sense is that people who haven't been here in person are envisioning it being much easier to drive into the water than it actually is here. We don't have any evidence she was suicidal. I haven't heard anything that cars were parked at the water's edge. have you?

OTOH, if she met with foul play with a "local" who knows the area, any of those bodies of water (Prosser, Boca, Stampede) would have been a relatively easy place to hide all the evidence. A local would also know places to "stash" the car that would not be on her route home.

I researched the iPhone thing. apparently find my phone can work with newer models even if the battery is dead or it's turned off. without knowing the exact model she had and which functions were enabled/disabled, I don't think we can figure that out. but it is definitely possible for newer phones to be pinged, apparently
Apple has a feature that automatically sends records a location when battery is very low, on red. It indicates in history, the battery level, as far as I understand. It can also reveal battery usage/charge for hours leading up to last on time.
It may take a warrant for that information, even with a family plan as it would be accessed by Kiely’s Apple ID.

I find it strange that her phone would die or shut off simultaneously with the last call to SS.
Also- wouldn’t LE ask for Cell tower dump to look at all the phones in use in and around area? Pr at a minimum, the phones of supposed witnesses.
I suppose that would take a week or so to process?

This is exactly the point I’ve tried to make here and elsewhere, but no one seems to get the distinction. I’ve been told repeatedly, “Kids are going to do these things anyway”. That’s true of shoplifting, too, but would you give your permission?
I thought I remember reading that Kiely told her mom she was going to be the DD that night and that's why she needed her curfew extended "to find her friends and drive them home".

So like most teenagers, she lied to her mom about drinking that night. Her mom didn't willingly let her go get drunk at a party and drive home. IMO

Another thing people keep bringing up is the creme brulee. I read she loved cooking and baking. Some people made a big leap and have her turning those into shots for the party. I think that's a stretch. It just doesn't seem practical to take a dairy-heavy dessert out to the woods. Not to mention adding alcohol to the cream base would probably prevent it from setting properly.

It's something to keep in mind that most cases involving foul play, the victim knows the perp.

My sense is that people who haven't been here in person are envisioning it being much easier to drive into the water than it actually is here. We don't have any evidence she was suicidal. I haven't heard anything that cars were parked at the water's edge. have you?

OTOH, if she met with foul play with a "local" who knows the area, any of those bodies of water (Prosser, Boca, Stampede) would have been a relatively easy place to hide all the evidence. A local would also know places to "stash" the car that would not be on her route home.
What kind of place to hide her car?

So like most teenagers, she lied to her mom about drinking that night. Her mom didn't willingly let her go get drunk at a party and drive home. IMO
That’s a point. But her mother did say that a year earlier Kiely couldn’t help her mom with someone she wanted her to give a ride home to, because K had drank too much to drive.

Yeah, the creme brulee thing really doesn't matter. It could be code for some kind of pudding shot, or it just as likely means they were actually making decadent treats.

One of my kids has a friend who was really into cooking and baking as a younger teen, and is now at a culinary institute. Some teens really are into food at a young age.

“I can’t get it out of my head. That’s why I’m here, because you just feel like you want to do something, anything,” said Cindy Shippy, owner of Chá Fine Teas of Truckee, where Rodni works. “She’s a strong [young woman]. She really is. She’s a strong personality. And … my only hope is she’s somewhere where we’ve just got to find her, because she would be tough wherever she is … She was the girl that all of her friends came to for strength and I’m sure her friends are completely devastated.”
*I missed that she had a job. Could this tea shop be the surveillance still? *eta:No, prob not. I see clothes hanging. I forgot about them. What is the black icon looking thing on the white shirt hanging on the rod?
<p>The Placer County Sheriff’s Office released a picture from surveillance footage of a local business that shows what Kiely was wearing before she vanished.</p>

The Placer County Sheriff’s Office released a picture from surveillance footage of a local business that shows what Kiely was wearing before she vanished.
It looks like every gas station/convenience store in the Tahoe area- most seem to sell Souvenirs (shirts,mugs etc) like the photo

Supporters form a prayer circle following a press conference regarding missing 16-year-old Kiely Rodni at the Truckee Donner Community Recreation Center in Truckee on Aug. 9, 2022. Rodni was last seen near Prosser Creek Reservoir near Truckee on Aug. 6th.

"Our goal has never changed from the beginning, to find Kiely Rodni," Brown said.

He encouraged people to look around for anything that could lead to information about the missing honors student, who graduated from a Truckee charter high school in June. Even volunteers searching areas that law enforcement checked could yield different results, he said.

Brown said investigators aren't releasing details on where law enforcement searched other than to say in the areas around where the party was held.

Being a responsible parent of 2 teenagers I will say they will still do what they want...I had one son who was perfectly compliant and another who I put alarms in the house, put up security cameras moved his bedroom etc and he still found a way to get out in the middle of the night... don't always blame parents for what teens do. And don't underestimate a teen who wants to do something they aren't allowed to

Agree 100%. As the parent of 2 college aged kids, this is so very true. I have even (recently) learned they can spoof the Life 360 so nothing is 100% accurate. Kids have and will continue to find ways to bend the rules and do what they are going to do.

It won't stop us from teaching them right from wrong and hopefully instilling good values. It's even more tricky after they turn 18 and are legally adults. That's when the real "fun" begins--NOT.

It's like when they learn to drive and they are shown videos about drinking and driving, texting, distractions, etc. The main problem with kids this age is they believe it will never happen to them. We can pound it in their heads all day long but they think they are above it all or won't get caught. I'm sure there are exceptions but that's my experience.

"I recognize both sweatshirts," Rodni's mother told ABC News. "The darker one belongs to her best friend. The lighter one is something that I've seen her wear time and time again."

I thought I remember reading that Kiely told her mom she was going to be the DD that night and that's why she needed her curfew extended "to find her friends and drive them home".

Another thing people keep bringing up is the creme brulee. I read she loved cooking and baking. Some people made a big leap and have her turning those into shots for the party. I think that's a stretch. It just doesn't seem practical to take a dairy-heavy dessert out to the woods. Not to mention adding alcohol to the cream base would probably prevent it from setting properly.
its all been speculation. but i used to eat shrooms w yogurt.

What kind of place to hide her car?
Other locals posting here may know better than me. What I'm hearing locally is that there are back roads that could have been taken from Prosser all the way to Reno without ever hitting a main freeway. I really doubt she would have gone those ways but if there was foul play by someone who knows the area, all bets are off.

When I drove out to the campground, there is only one real paved way in and out. but there are lots of wide dirt roads going all over the place. We also have lots of remote and unpaved fire roads, heavily forested areas, extensive remote terrain. There are lots of vacant homes with garages. There are old mines.

If there was foul play, the murky water would be an obvious place to hide evidence. And there would be many other possible places that might not have been searched necessarily because they weren't on her way home or other obvious routes.

I think those are the crucial hours although LE has said that she was seen at the party around midnight as reported by EP. Still, LE wants to know what KR did, who she was with, her physical/mental state in the hour or so leading up to when her phone died at 12:33. It sounds like KR was still in the area when a large number of the younger party goers began leaving at about 12:30.
We have about 2 1/2 hours of heavy partying, fights, suspected drug use, etc, but it all seems to boil down to what happened between about 12:15 pm and 12:33 pm.
Through all of what we're hearing, I read an undercurrent of responsibility from Kiely. To me, her text to her mom underscores that. She didn't blow off her curfew, she was sober enough to send a text.

I think that Kiely was going to give SS a ride home. If SS vacated that offer because Kiely was unfit to drive, Kiely may have told SS she'd sleep there (so SS wouldn't worry about Kiely still driving) but spent her last hour, half hour trying to sober up. We know what she said (her intention for the evening), we know she knew she would be driving, we don't know how much she ingested or how far gone she was. She may have wanted to get smashed or she may have gotten an early start or is possible she wasn't as inebriated as she pretended to be (that happens). We know she was on point enough to watch the clock and text her mom.

In any event, I think SS took leave of her, and Kiely may have felt that SS would ride with her once she was more fit. (Maybe she thought if she stopped imbibing at 11 or 11:30 it would make a difference.)

I wonder if any of that time was spent waiting impatiently for SS. I wonder what time Kiely found herself alone in her car.

I wonder if anyone's come forward who may have exchanged messages with Kiely during that pivotal time frame, just prior to 12:30. Not sure how quickly LE can get full phone records on a missing person.

Also, if Kiely had been sitting in her car for quite a while, maybe that's why no one seems to have a recollection of her leaving. Just one car among many, leaving, driver unknown.

Although if she left in a mass exodus, it's less likely to me for her to have missed a turn or gotten lost. Likely she'd follow the herd.

I think she's very close to her last ping.

If she's in the water, AWP will bring her home.

JMO

It's actually a real thing. The shot idea hasn't been plucked out of thin air.

Being a responsible parent of 2 teenagers I will say they will still do what they want...I had one son who was perfectly compliant and another who I put alarms in the house, put up security cameras moved his bedroom etc and he still found a way to get out in the middle of the night... don't always blame parents for what teens do. And don't underestimate a teen who wants to do something they aren't allowed to
Amen!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member