Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
AWP went directly to the right spot and found her in less than 30 min. MOO- LE had good, not public, data on her last phone position(s) that led them to that area vs the easiest way to get into the water, the boat ramp. They didn't just randomly select that spot.

We have no idea what a drunk 16yr old might do at a party in the middle of the night after having been left alone by all of her friends. She may have been driving on the beach for all we know.

In an interview, I think the one on court tv, AWP said they decided to search the whole perimeter of the lake with one boat going one way and one the other and they found the car in 35 minutes on the side that Nick Rinn went.
I don't think they went straight to an exact location. MOO

That is true, I suppose. Most of my friends' parties were mostly beer and pot and sometimes someone would break out a bottle of Bacardi. One deadly thing has changed though, and that is the prevalence of drugs laced with fentanyl, where one wrong pill can kill you. We never had to contend with fentanyl.
Fentanyl..... interesting. Hadn't really thought about that.

Okay guys. I'm going to put something out there because it all still doesn't add up to me.

I drove out there again because it's just nagging at me. Before I was only on the paved road. Now that she didn't go off the boat ramp and was in another area entirely, I went out on the dirt roads instead, where the kids were that night.

And this is something I haven't heard mentioned yet and it's important.

We have heard people hypothesizing that she might have been going 30-40 mph.

I have a solid 4WD vehicle. This is what people need to understand. Those dirt roads are brutal. If you went 30-40 mph out there, your car would be destroyed. I didn't know and going about 5 mph, some things in my car got broken on the drive.

There are massive bumps and ruts in the road. Think speed bumps on steroids. Your car is lurching around even at slow speeds.

The beach is slightly smoother but it simply makes zero sense that she'd be driving fast. And there is plenty of time after exiting the very narrow brush fringed dirt roads to recognize you're on the beach. There is a steeper dropoff right toward the water otherwise it's a very gradual slope, very bumpy, and very obviously not the dirt road home.

I'm still having a tough time believing she drove herself into the water. Mostly I wanted people to understand how insanely rough the roads are in that area. And super narrow as well.
That’s why I’ve been saying I think she intentionally drove down to the beach, likely very slowly (5mph was the same speed I mentioned). There were record rains in that area the Wednesday and Thursday before the party. It was dark. She probably thought she would stop at the shoreline and do something (maybe stash any leftover booze in her car?) But the shoreline perhaps came sooner than she thought.

Okay guys. I'm going to put something out there because it all still doesn't add up to me.

I drove out there again because it's just nagging at me. Before I was only on the paved road. Now that she didn't go off the boat ramp and was in another area entirely, I went out on the dirt roads instead, where the kids were that night.

And this is something I haven't heard mentioned yet and it's important.

We have heard people hypothesizing that she might have been going 30-40 mph.

I have a solid 4WD vehicle. This is what people need to understand. Those dirt roads are brutal. If you went 30-40 mph out there, your car would be destroyed. I didn't know and going about 5 mph, some things in my car got broken on the drive.

There are massive bumps and ruts in the road. Think speed bumps on steroids. Your car is lurching around even at slow speeds.

The beach is slightly smoother but it simply makes zero sense that she'd be driving fast. And there is plenty of time after exiting the very narrow brush fringed dirt roads to recognize you're on the beach. There is a steeper dropoff right toward the water otherwise it's a very gradual slope, very bumpy, and very obviously not the dirt road home.

I'm still having a tough time believing she drove herself into the water. Mostly I wanted people to understand how insanely rough the roads are in that area. And super narrow as well.
Thank you for this insight.

That’s why I’ve been saying I think she intentionally drove down to the beach, likely very slowly (5mph was the same speed I mentioned). There were record rains in that area the Wednesday and Thursday before the party. It was dark. She probably thought she would stop at the shoreline and do something (maybe stash any leftover booze in her car?) But the shoreline perhaps came sooner than she thought.
I agree that she probably drove down to the beach at a reasonable speed but because it was dark and the beach was slick her car was not stoppable and she plunged into the water and that was that.

No idea what her motivation was for going that way but I think it was probably a mistake.

JMHO

Do you have footage or pics of the area you’re speaking about? That might help us all get a sense for the terrain you’re referring to. I haven’t been to Prosser camp in forever so can’t recall the roads super well, but I do frequent the area a couple times a year and IIrC, even the dirt roads are typical campground roads with some hinky spots you’d just be expected to avoid (though hard to do if one is impaired…).

** I am also really wildly unsure how we arrived at any speed at which her car would have been traveling on a dirt road—let alone 30-40 MPH. Whose assessment is that? Seems way off to me for any dirt road (I’m an avid off road motorcyclist and rarely get to 40MPH)… JMHO but I feel uncomfortable with clocking her speed that high when we don’t even know from whence the car was coming when it went in to the water…). MOO.

IIRC they showed the area where the partygoers parked in some of the early videos (when SS was speaking with the media, pointing out the area).

I will now see if I can go back and find exactly where she pointed out the cars would have been parked and place them relative to the Forestry Map…

homework beginning in 3-2-1…

Edited by me for typos.
I do not have a dashcam and wouldn't have dared take my hands off the wheel at any point in this drive. Beyond which, I saw what I thought was footage of this road a few days ago - and it in no way gave any idea what it's like. It's like anytime non-3D photos can be so deceptive. It's not even close to a normal dirt road. A few times I was scared my car was getting damaged. I regretted getting on it at all as I'm not in a position to pay for unnecessary repairs. Thus why it has a sign that says "not recommended" for cars at the place where it forks off from the asphalt.

You mean like put the booze under water? where would she stash it?

Good to read your local thoughts. Now... if she was blasted out of her mind, and managed to make it through the trees somehow to the open beach area, maybe she was so far gone in her mind that she didn't even notice the sudden lack of trees and open space. Moon had set, no street lights, no light pollution. She was probably not in a sober state of mind to react quickly, perhaps had even passed out by then. Or when/if she realized she was near water it was too late. And the elevation dips considerably at the edge so you could probably just casually roll down the edge and perhaps even flip over. Just speculating here. I also tend to feel this was a terrible accident or a cover up. Too many things have been said by vocal friends to deflect the scene from there. Not one person said "I hope she didn't make a wrong turn into the water" and instead we've read "she was abducted."
After that drive today, I am squarely back in the cover up or foul play camp. If she could navigate the ridiculously difficult dirt road to the beach, she didn't "accidentally" drive into the water. This is purely my opinion. I am beginning to doubt even more the few accounts we have of that evening.

Whether they will ever be able to prove anything, is another story. Two weeks in warmish water is a long time in the evidence world. But I don't believe she put herself in the lake.

I’ve covered nearly a hundred missing persons cases and followed countless more, but I’ve rarely seen an online furor as heartless as the one surrounding Kiely. Within a few days, the internet speculation and conjecture became its own content machine. Some YouTube channels pumped out multiple videos a day, spending hours speculating wildly about the case. One channel even livestreamed an interview with one of Kiely’s friends, a minor who should be protected from, not subjected to, the scrutiny of strangers.

Searching Kiely’s name on YouTube yields a horrifying array of clickbait thumbnails and titles, like “KIELY RODNI THINGS ARE NOT ADDING UP!” and “How is this not a red flag?” They weave elaborate conspiracy theories, many centering on the actions of some of Kiely’s friends the night she went missing, accusing them of lying, leaving out important information or otherwise conspiring about Kiely's disappearance.
These "theories" do not bear repeating, because they have no basis in reality. But the names of multiple minors are now all over the internet, in YouTube comments and Twitter, Instagram and TikTok replies, linking them to the tragedy that will haunt them for the rest of their lives. The guilt they no doubt feel for losing track of their friend at a party — and who among us hasn’t experienced that at least once in their adolescence? — is now compounded by an internet paper trail of people accusing them of intentionally harming Kiely.

(more at link)
The worst case I followed was the murder of Jayme Closs's parents and her kidnapping. Once she escaped, Facebook people insisted that she was involved with her parents' murder. This is why I love this site. Victim friendly.

Every high profile case carries too many conspiracy theories that only want to double down on their original thoughts rather than accepting the facts.

Jayme Closs.
Harley Dilly.
Kiely Rodni.

I agree. I was surprised that furnishing alcohol to a minor was only a misdemeanor even if the minor dies because of it. I'm sure that there's other statutes that can lead to felony charges in cases like this. JMO.

There are. I’ve charged adults with child abuse and/or contributing to the delinquency of a minor, for providing alcohol.

After that drive today, I am squarely back in the cover up or foul play camp. If she could navigate the ridiculously difficult dirt road to the beach, she didn't "accidentally" drive into the water. This is purely my opinion. I am beginning to doubt even more the few accounts we have of that evening.

Whether they will ever be able to prove anything, is another story. Two weeks in warmish water is a long time in the evidence world. But I don't believe she put herself in the lake.
From someone on the outside I am so grateful that you did this. It gives us mental comprehension as to these roads.

You mean like put the booze under water? where would she stash it?

I don't know if it's the case here, but I've heard of people putting their alcohol/beer/whatever in some kind of basket or net, tying a rope to it for easy retrieval, and stashing it underwater. Supposedly they do it to keep the drinks cooler and/or to keep it out of sight of any cops (or game wardens or park rangers) that might show up.

I don't know if it's the case here, but I've heard of people putting their alcohol/beer/whatever in some kind of basket or net, tying a rope to it for easy retrieval, and stashing it underwater. Supposedly they do it to keep the drinks cooler and/or to keep it out of sight of any cops or game wardens that might show up.

There is water closer to her home though? If Kiely was going to stash any leftovers for the next day, why would she hide them down a bone-jarring road/trail half an hour from home?

There is water closer to her home though? If Kiely was going to stash any leftovers for the next day, why would she hide them down a bone-jarring road/trail half an hour from home?

I was thinking for consumption during the party (sorry I didn't clarify), but that leads me to another thought. Wasn't she supposed to go camping the next morning? If so, I wonder if the camping area was anywhere near the party area? If if it was, maybe she was saving the rest for the next day. It would still be there, and she wouldn't have to drive home with it in the car. Hope that makes sense. I'm not caffeinated yet. o_O

PLEASE catch me up, you sleuths go so fast while one is at work. I NEED to know what LE said about tire tracks? SpideySense, post before, said it had rained the days before the party. Shouldn't there be tracks going into the water??

And, if she broke the window then the car flipped, could she have become so disoriented in an impaired state that she could not hold her breath long enough to find the window out? I am still really suspicious with all of the damage to the car, and SS weird statements.

Does anyone know if it's possible that the last ping was after the car was already submerged? I know some phones now do have a high degree of waterproofing. I know some have said the pings don't go through water. Is that always true?
I’m not sure about the last ping, but I did watch the AWP recovery video of Jed Hall. I found some pretty interesting things.

One of the AWP guys informed his parents about a hard phone shut down. He said a hard phone shut down usually indicates a phone submerged in water or broken, and it would be different than a power off/battery die. He asked them if they knew which kind- they said no. He then said he would be asking the detective about it to find out.

So, this made me realize that there must be a way to tell which kind? Then I wondered if that was the kind of intel they also used in Kiely’s case. It makes sense, but I’m definitely speculating. JMO.

I do not have a dashcam and wouldn't have dared take my hands off the wheel at any point in this drive. Beyond which, I saw what I thought was footage of this road a few days ago - and it in no way gave any idea what it's like. It's like anytime non-3D photos can be so deceptive. It's not even close to a normal dirt road. A few times I was scared my car was getting damaged. I regretted getting on it at all as I'm not in a position to pay for unnecessary repairs. Thus why it has a sign that says "not recommended" for cars at the place where it forks off from the asphalt.
Gotcha! I totally get it.

So, then, it also would seem, following that logic, that trying to traverse bone-jarring roads in the dark would have been extra difficult for anyone, impaired or not… but especially extra difficult if one was committing a crime and didn’t want to be seen moving the car along those roads undetected, unheard/unseen by nearby campers or exiting partygoers, in the dark.

MOO, but I honestly don’t agree that those roads are too tough on the SUV/AWD local cars that folks up there tend to drive (everyone seems to have a mini SUV/Subaru/etc).

From This video, originally uploaded in the Maps/Media thread by @SteelTownGal, we see a few images, which I have screen grabbed.

1) the place SS says KR’s car was parked:

F1B61C59-7036-4CC2-8739-E08A81BEE584.jpeg

2) the place SS said the lights were hung up, and where most kids were standing around at the party:
02904E4B-F3B8-43FB-918B-A141424F5CBC.jpeg
02936F81-1651-4A18-B5BE-94C38E9DCE81.jpeg
A999099C-92A4-4817-9B93-C6A6CE8E7000.jpeg

3) the one quick shot of the road that SS said you would take to move your car and get out of there:
F5BA8581-BB89-4504-A291-B94FF8E0973E.jpeg

So, that’s the scene where the party was held. I’m going to try now to superimpose these areas onto the recreation.gov map for context.

Back soon.

Attachments

• 05D00B96-1F51-470F-B272-ECEFD8586645.jpeg
    05D00B96-1F51-470F-B272-ECEFD8586645.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 165C0B28-8446-4AAA-A800-E416CFB5A0DE.jpeg
    165C0B28-8446-4AAA-A800-E416CFB5A0DE.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 24
Gotcha! I totally get it.

So, then, it also would seem, following that logic, that trying to traverse bone-jarring roads in the dark would have been extra difficult for anyone, impaired or not… but especially extra difficult if one was committing a crime and didn’t want to be seen moving the car along those roads undetected, unheard/unseen by nearby campers or exiting partygoers, in the dark.

MOO, but I honestly don’t agree that those roads are too tough on the SUV/AWD local cars that folks up there tend to drive (everyone seems to have a mini SUV/Subaru/etc).

From This video, originally uploaded in the Maps/Media thread by @SteelTownGal, we see a few images, which I have screen grabbed.

1) the place SS says KR’s car was parked:

View attachment 361505

2) the place SS said the lights were hung up, and where most kids were standing around at the party:
View attachment 361499
View attachment 361500
View attachment 361501

3) the one quick shot of the road that SS said you would take to move your car and get out of there:
View attachment 361506

So, that’s the scene where the party was held. I’m going to try now to superimpose these areas onto the recreation.gov map for context.

Back soon.
Yes, to repeat, I have AWD. My car is solid AWD and has no trouble handling our ridiculous snow and ice. There are SUVs with higher clearance but hers is probably similar to mine. I went on the road even though it said "not recommended" because I thought "but hundreds of kids drove this road." It is not flat. It is not wide. It is treacherous. I would prefer not to drive it again. It is not believable IMO that she would have been able to drive it at all and then "accidentally" drive off a beach into a lake.

Like I said before, welcome to "Rural America".

What I didn't say before is there are countless other risks not always controlled for in our society. Take railroad crossings in rural America. How many times to do you hear cries for 'lets put in more railroad crossing signals' after a fatal train crash?

What about hiking trails with steep terrain or in extreme cold or hot weather climates? Do we stop people from hiking because they might kill themselves from a fall or hyper / hypothermia? Sometimes yes, but most of the time, no.

I am not taking away from your earnest concern. I just fear it not realistic to gate / mark all boat ramps on lakes or oceans. I have used many boat ramps myself when I lived in rural Maine and I don't recall any gates, lights or signs.

In fact, on lake Sebago in Maine one night, my car's GPS took me down to the water's edge on a boat ramp in the pitch black with pea soup fog. There was no gate, lights or signs. My GPS tried to get me to a lodge on the other side of the lake and it thought this boat ramp with a ferry that ran during the day, was the way to get there. Thankfully I was paying attention.

I've heard the GPS thing happening to others too, especially when GPS was newer. So scary!

Re: water and gates. I understand and I agree to a certain extent. We can't put the world in a bubble to eradicate all hazards. But surely some we can, no? If so many people really do end up in rivers and lakes, then maybe we should explore that and see if there are any feasible measures we can take as part of our infrastructure budget. No, we won't save every life, but even saving a couple of lives a year makes it worth a discussion. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member