Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
The clearing above the beach seems like a natural get together area. Especially for distancung from the big party with many unknown people, to talk and hang out with a smaller group of friends. And looks like an easy place to park by the road.
Who patrols Prosser? A lone park service ranger?
300 kids can go wild but only a bonfire on the beach would attract attention at night? For sure?
The community sensitivity to any kind of fire cannot be overstated. After the horrific CA fires of the past few years, including South Lake being threatened last year, and homeowners not being able to get insurance - it isn't tolerated. I can't say for sure they didn't have a fire. But if they didn't want to be bothered by LE, they would not have a fire.

The clearing above the beach seems like a natural get together area. Especially for distancung from the big party with many unknown people, to talk and hang out with a smaller group of friends. And looks like an easy place to park by the road.
Who patrols Prosser? A lone park service ranger?
300 kids can go wild but only a bonfire on the beach would attract attention at night? For sure?
The community sensitivity to any kind of fire cannot be overstated. After the horrific CA fires of the past few years, including South Lake being threatened last year, and homeowners not being able to get insurance - it isn't tolerated. I can't say for sure they didn't have a fire. But if they didn't want to be bothered by LE, they would not have a fire.

Well, she did walk to her car without getting lost falling down if she was that inebrieated. So she had some presence of mind to actually make it to her car & not to someone else's car.
This is true, but IMO is not a strong enough point to suggest she was sober enough to drive.

Clearly, if drivers were only dangerous to themselves and others simply when they were too intoxicated to find their cars, there would be no such thing as drunk drivers in their own cars killed and killing others, as happens every day.

And, unfortunately, at this point we don't know if she stumbled around for some time searching for her car.

IMO

The piece that doesn't fit to me is that 100 to 300 people were reported to have been there....and reported they were not all locals. And presumably most were drinking, and yet Kiely IS a local, been at the park before, and she's the only one who took a wrong turn and ended up in the water. Intentional foul play...I don't think so, but maybe a laced drink...possible. Intentional murder, I don't think so.
I see your point. However, we don’t know what we don’t know.

Maybe the people who weren’t local, took the road that brought them to the area as not to get lost?

Also, who’s to say others did take that route similar to Keily’s and were lucky enough not to go into the water. I was thinking about this because that might be a reason why her tracks were not discovered. There could have possibly been tracks over tracks because others went that way too.

Of course I’m just speculating trying to figure out how this beautiful girl ended up where she did. It’s just heartbreaking. MOO.

I grew up in a rural mountainous area such as this. We had parties and drove back roads. And sometimes bad things did indeed happen with young teen drivers, both sober and not sober, in the day time and in the night time.

I am guessing she got "turned around", was maybe a bit distracted by alcohol, her phone, etc. Keep in mind reaction times are delayed when drinking and reaction times in new drivers are also delayed. Teen drivers often "assume" things. They aren't defensive drivers yet. They are very poor at judging distances. She could have "assumed" she knew when she was, decreasing time to react. Her vehicle launched into the lake. The rear window was open (not uncommon for air flow/front windows closed due to dust). The vehicle water started filling up pretty fast, the momentum and trapped air floating it out further into the lake, the water poured in one window rolling the vehicle. This water is cold. Shocking to the system. This can also stun/delay reaction time. She got her seat belt off. It was frigid, dark, and the vehicle was oriented upside down, front end sinking first. She didn't have time to get out. It is a tragic misadventure. RIP Kiely.

Is she rolled her vehicle of the road, down an embankment, would we still suspect foul play?

If the embankment was somewhere it took awhile to be found, then I would still have questions, yes. But you raise a good point. There is something about a vehicle being in the water that just feels different.

For me, the main thing I've been bothered by all along was how she left with no one saying good bye. I know everyone has different opinions about this, and I acknowledge it could be as simple as everyone who knew her and cared about her at all had left, but she just seemed so outgoing and well-liked *IN GENERAL*. So this for me, is why I would still have some nagging doubts about it. And, of course, LE still having an open investigation.

Once LE says this is closed, I fully accept that.

"Adventures with Purpose does not accept rewards," said Linda Luchetti, a spokesperson for the Rodni family.

She said the reward was partially funded by a *** account set up for Linda Nieman, Kiely's mother that has raised nearly $63,000.

Larger donations pledged to the reward have been returned, Luchetti said.

Adventures with Purpose is expected to stream an episode on finding Kiely in the coming weeks on their YouTube channel, which has millions of followers.

In a previous case, Adventures with Purpose threatened to sue for a $100,000 reward promised in the case of a missing Iowa man, according to a 2020 story in the Des Moines Register.

In that case, Adventures with Purpose went to a small Iowa town to search for 22-year-old Ethan Kazmerzak, who disappeared in 2013. They found his body in his car at the bottom of a quarry pond.

When reached by phone Friday by the Reno Gazette Journal, Iowa businessman Brad Staley, who had helped organized the reward, said Adventures with Purpose didn't end up suing.

He said Kazmerzak's family gave the dive team money. He could not say how much but believed it was a significant amount.
That's not true is it? they do accept rewards. https://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/national/article247948245.html

I find it very troubling she would say that.

If the embankment was somewhere it took awhile to be found, then I would still have questions, yes. But you raise a good point. There is something about a vehicle being in the water that just feels different.

For me, the main thing I've been bothered by all along was how she left with no one saying good bye. I know everyone has different opinions about this, and I acknowledge it could be as simple as everyone who knew her and cared about her at all had left, but she just seemed so outgoing and well-liked *IN GENERAL*. So this for me, is why I would still have some nagging doubts about it. And, of course, LE still having an open investigation.

Well, perhaps she did tell some people goodbye? We really don’t know if people have now come forward with information on this.

I can envision a situation where Kiely says goodbye to a few people, gets in her car to leave only to find out her normal route out is blocked.

She needs to get home for curfew and thinks, I’ll go down this way to avoid the congestion and nobody will be inconvenienced by having to move their cars. Once she drives away, people go back to partying and never see a thing?
JMO.

Well, perhaps she did tell some people goodbye? We really don’t know if people have now come forward with information on this.

I can envision a situation where Kiely says goodbye to a few people, gets in her car to leave only to find out her normal route out is blocked.

She needs to get home for curfew and thinks, I’ll go down this way to avoid the congestion and nobody will be inconvenienced by having to move their cars. Once she drives away, people go back to partying and never see a thing?
JMO.

I will go find a source and edit, but LE stated clearly and often that no one saw her leave.

It is possible they have more information now that has not been shared with the public.

Adding sources:

In one of the photos that another local member posted in an earlier thread there's a black scorch mark shown on the ground where he thought the party took place. But he said the same thing as you regarding having a fire. I will see if I can find the post.

With the Honda having been submerged for two weeks, will they still be able to assess any mechanical issues - such as failed brakes, electrical short that might have caused headlights to fail, stuck gas pedal?
All of that data, and much more, should be able to be retrieved from the vehicle event data recorder. And yes, a 2013 Honda CRV has an EDR. The information retrieved will be an important part of reconstructing the accident.

What information does the EDR capture?

The NHTSA is in the process of implementing a rule that will standardize the information collected by EDRs. For now, the data collected by the event recorder can vary based on the auto manufacturer, the model of the vehicle and the EDR unit itself. However, the unit normally captures 15 or more variables, monitored about 20 seconds before the crash and 5-10 seconds after the crash. The information usually includes:

• Pre-crash vehicle operational dynamics such as the speed, use of accelerator, engine RPM, use of steering wheel.
  • Crash force, both forward and lateral.
  • Crash duration.
  • Application of brakes and activation of antilock brake.
  • Change in speed after impact.
  • Activation of fault codes or warning signals.
  • Engagement of stability control.
  • Vehicle roll angle.
  • Number of ignition attempts after the accident.
  • Use of restraint and engagement of pretension and force-limiter for front seat occupants.
  • Position of front seats.
  • Size (weight) of front seat occupants.
  • Number of impacts.
  • Deployment of airbags, speed of deployment and faults, if any.
  • Activation of the automatic collision notification system.

Only we don't know if and when she left with no one saying goodbye. LE set up that anonymous web site. It could have lots of information we aren't privy to.

That's not true is it? they do accept rewards. https://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/national/article247948245.html

I find it very troubling she would say that.
Respectfully, I would think that the Rodni family spokesperson may know, better than most, if AWP accepts rewards, as they clearly, in this case at least, declined to accept one, as she has stated that the larger donations pledged have already been returned to the donors. This is in the very link you supplied.

As to the case in 2020, yes, AWP initially apparently attempted to claim the $100,000 reward, after locating the remains in a 7 year old case, but ultimately decided not to sue, and did accept some monetary amount. Perhaps it was after that situation, two years ago, that they decided that going forward, they would accept no rewards.

Frankly, I doubt that anyone whose loved one they found would have an issue with them accepting any offered reward, and from what I have read online, very many people have expressed a wish that AWP would accept the reward. Let us not forget, had it not been for AWP, Kiely would most likely still be in the bottom of Prosser Reservoir.

Last edited:
So...a big roaring bonfire would be out, as it would attract attention, but smaller fires seem possible? I also remember "Truckee Jeep woman" (whose name I need to go find...Christine, maybe?) mentioning the burn marks.

The local kids have a lot of outdoor experience, right? What about Dakota fireholes? I've made these before. Chilly night, maybe they wanted to heat some food, take the chill off.

(*****Language warning from this guy. It is an excellent, quick demo of what one is, but for some reason he comes out swearing...I have NO idea why, sound optional.)

yea I couldn't rule out that they did whatever they thought they could get away with. There are fire cameras all over our area but they might have a harder time detecting small amounts of smoke at night. A huge bonfire on the beach IMO would be too likely to attract attention. Then again, these kids didn't seem to have a whole lot of respect for rules of any kind so who knows?

I will go find a source and edit, but LE stated clearly and often that no one saw her leave.

It is possible they have more information now that has not been shared with the public.

Adding sources:

Right. It's only one possible scenario but perhaps she didn't say goodbye as one would expect for an apparently sociable person because she wasn't at the "party site" anymore and was incapacitated (if, for example, she voluntarily or involuntarily consumed a substance). If, for example, she went with one or a few people to the beach (or was taken there after perhaps hanging out with them in a vehicle), there would not be any opportunity to say goodbye.

Because I find it implausible that she drove in the presumed condition to the beach, I am now leaning toward she wasn't at the "party site" near 12:30 am. I suppose it's possible LE has some earlier pings on her phone that they haven't released that would either negate or support that theory. The last ping from what I understand was pretty much exactly where she was found? do we have a map of the last ping now that we better understand the logistics of this area?

Thank you! The video was found by member @WillenFan21.
I just watched the video. I can easily see how she could drive off the edge in this area. I imagine when she came into the party, she can a different way. If she was blocked in, she would have to go another way out. A way she was not overly familiar with. Add a bit of alcohol and inexperience, she could easily go off that. The driver in the video was going very slow, she was cautious, she was aware that was a lip going into the lake so crept forward. I can easily see a teen, stressed about getting home, driving a little faster, going right off that edge. I could see an adult doing it as well.

JMO.
This ^^^^

And the fact most of the people she knew well at the party had already left. A few byes to folks who are preoccupied with their friend groups, might have been forgotten easily.

Only we don't know if and when she left with no one saying goodbye. LE set up that anonymous web site. It could have lots of information we aren't privy to.
Right, it could have information about anything. I imagine it does. I remember posts saying it was inundated with people submitting duplicate tips, so hopefully LE has been able to wade through and get everything that was directly associated with people at the party.

Also, LE said they interviewed 400 people in connection. (It will take me a moment to locate source again, mentioned by a few posters in prior threads.)

Edited to ask something: Let's say people HAVE come forward to say they saw Kiely leave the party. What reason would LE have now to keep that private? It seems innocuous enough? i.e. "We now know a couple in fact saw the silver CRV leave just after 12:30 pm, but did not realize it was Kiely until ____ LE confirms..." or "Kids at the party came forward at the anonymous teen meetings to say they waved good bye.."

In one of the early msm articles there was a photo of a barbecue grill taken at the party spot. It looked pretty beat up so maybe it was used in past parties. Does the no fire rule include propane grills?
According to the US Forestry - Pacific Southwest Region as of July 17th. You can have BBQs in the day use areas.

Attachments

• fseprd1044918 (1).pdf
    201.9 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics