Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really do not know what happened, and that's the thing. None of us know.

For now, the wondering why no one (as far as we have been told) saw Kiely leave, (and also the condition of those roads/trail) is enough for me to wonder if she went down to the water intentionally. And if others did as well.

I do not personally lean towards any of the scenarios where someone had any premeditated intent to harm her. What I cannot rule out based on what we know is a scenario where she was slipped something, or took something that rapidly impaired her, the horsing around (either alone or with others), or some other unknown event (like falling asleep, car rolled in, got stuck and wrong gear, etc.)

Making her way down there, drunk, and going right un the water IS definitely possible. I'm not arguing against it. I'm just not 100% convinced OF it.

I just watched the video. I can easily see how she could drive off the edge in this area. I imagine when she came into the party, she can a different way. If she was blocked in, she would have to go another way out. A way she was not overly familiar with. Add a bit of alcohol and inexperience, she could easily go off that. The driver in the video was going very slow, she was cautious, she was aware that was a lip going into the lake so crept forward. I can easily see a teen, stressed about getting home, driving a little faster, going right off that edge. I could see an adult doing it as well.

One thing though: her mom always granted the curfew extension, and she had said "wake me up when you get home."

Kiely may have been tired, or in a hurry to get home for other reasons, but it doesn't seem to me like a situation you might have otherwise where a teen is thinking "Oh, crap! I'm going to be in so much trouble if I'm not there at exactly ___."

Hi @DeDee.

You stated in your post, T6,#934, that "I looked for Nick Rinn's [AWP] quote regarding the broken glass window to no avail. The NYPost wrote NR told them that the driver’s window was broken and there was a body in the backseat."

Unfortunately, I believe that is a trick played on all of us by the NYPOST. In my T6, #181 post, I shared the 8/23 email I sent the NY POST online editor regarding confusion and apparent lack of substantiation of the information you cited.

“The vehicle was found upside down and about 14 feet underwater, diver Nick Rinn, who discovered the car, told The Post. The driver’s window was broken and there was a body in the backseat.”

An excerpt from my email to the NY POST is as follows:

My first read of this sentence was that Mr. Rinn stated the second sentence of the author’s paragraph. And that seems ludicrous given how cautious AWP is with all their statements pertaining to their underwater discovery work. My second read, with a more critical analysis, is that the authors of the article put the two sentences together in a paragraph as a way to infer Mr. Rinn said the second sentence. When in actuality, there is no source cited for that second sentence.

Found Deceased - CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6
Found Deceased - CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6

According to the US Forestry - Pacific Southwest Region as of July 17th. You can have BBQs in the day use areas.
Thanks for that information! I noticed that a permit is required and can be applied for online. Maybe the party organizers took the time to obtain permits?

Campfire Permits are required for open fires, such as campfire, barbecues and portable stoves on federally controlled lands and private lands that are the property of another person.

Right, it could have information about anything. I imagine it does. I remember posts saying it was inundated with people submitting duplicate tips, so hopefully LE has been able to wade through and get everything that was directly associated with people at the party.

Also, LE said they interviewed 400 people in connection. (It will take me a moment to locate source again, mentioned by a few posters in prior threads.)

Edited to ask something: Let's say people HAVE come forward to say they saw Kiely leave the party. What reason would LE have now to keep that private? It seems innocuous enough? i.e. "We now know a couple in fact saw the silver CRV leave just after 12:30 pm, but did not realize it was Kiely until ____ LE confirms..." or "Kids at the party came forward at the anonymous teen meetings to say they waved good bye.."
Pure and simple: at this point it's an on going investigation.

The community sensitivity to any kind of fire cannot be overstated. After the horrific CA fires of the past few years, including South Lake being threatened last year, and homeowners not being able to get insurance - it isn't tolerated. I can't say for sure they didn't have a fire. But if they didn't want to be bothered by LE, they would not have a fire.
As is the case at a lot of campgrounds in California, even in fire prone areas, you most certainly can have fires in approved areas, usually in fire rings.

Prosser Campground is one of these places, and DOES allow fires at campsites. So having a controlled fire at Prosser would not in of itself raise suspicion.

Now with that said, having a bonfire on the beach would be a different story, but if there's a fire ring on the beach (I haven't seen any) or if they moved a fire ring to the beach (probably illegal), it's certainly possible for them to have had a fire there and not have raised suspicion with it.

I know that it has been said by friends/family that KR was very familiar with the roads, but I think it could be quite easy for friends/family to be mistaken about her sense of direction / navigation (IMO).

I’ve been driving for 20+ years, but I recall being absolutely SHOCKED by how much I struggled with navigation to normal spots (grocery store, Target, school, friends’ places) when I began driving solo. Sure I had been there as a passenger a zillion times, but somehow my brain had never processed the specific turns and stops as information important to retain.

I remember my parents being quite surprised about my inability as well. Most of my teen friends shared this same navigation deficiency. Also, when I was growing up there were no cellphones, so I would have been even more aware of the roads/navigation in my pre-driver phase than teens today (this was in the early Mapquest days).

Perhaps I’m all wrong - but for me, I am not convinced the statements that ‘she was deeply familiar with these roads’ means it’s improbable that she got turned around leaving the campground and ended up in the lake (alcohol or not).

Regarding fires on the beach, I believe we’re relying on a citizen referring to them as “campfires” in a YT video. But we don’t know if that’s an accurate description, IMO. They could easily be remnants of controlled burns of brush/debris collected by Forestry workers. It seems likely that a safe place to bring debris and have controlled burns would be on an open beach near a water source. MOO

Right, it could have information about anything. I imagine it does. I remember posts saying it was inundated with people submitting duplicate tips, so hopefully LE has been able to wade through and get everything that was directly associated with people at the party.

Also, LE said they interviewed 400 people in connection. (It will take me a moment to locate source again, mentioned by a few posters in prior threads.)

Edited to ask something: Let's say people HAVE come forward to say they saw Kiely leave the party. What reason would LE have now to keep that private? It seems innocuous enough? i.e. "We now know a couple in fact saw the silver CRV leave just after 12:30 pm, but did not realize it was Kiely until ____ LE confirms..." or "Kids at the party came forward at the anonymous teen meetings to say they waved good bye.."
My question as well.

I know that it has been said by friends/family that KR was very familiar with the roads, but I think it could be quite easy for friends/family to be mistaken about her sense of direction / navigation (IMO).

I’ve been driving for 20+ years, but I recall being absolutely SHOCKED by how much I struggled with navigation to normal spots (grocery store, Target, school, friends’ places) when I began driving solo. Sure I had been there as a passenger a zillion times, but somehow my brain had never processed the specific turns and stops as information important to retain.

I remember my parents being quite surprised about my inability as well. Most of my teen friends shared this same navigation deficiency. Also, when I was growing up there were no cellphones, so I would have been even more aware of the roads/navigation in my pre-driver phase than teens today (this was in the early Mapquest days).

Perhaps I’m all wrong - but for me, I am not convinced the statements that ‘she was deeply familiar with these roads’ means it’s improbable that she got turned around leaving the campground and ended up in the lake (alcohol or not).
Maybe but Kiely's upbringing even by Tahoe standards would have given her almost certainly superior skills. She learned how to drive going in and out of Lost Trail Lodge, said to be 4 miles of treacherous dirt roads. In winter, the lodge is only accessible by snowmobile. Kids here are snowmobiling and ATV riding before they drive. She was supposed to go camping with friends the next day. This is not a city kid clueless about nature stuck in the woods.

If she voluntarily or involuntarily took a substance like date rape drugs or hallucinogens, then I suppose some of those could ruin the cognitive abilities of just about anyone.

That's not true is it? they do accept rewards. https://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-world/national/article247948245.html

I find it very troubling she would say that.
Adventures With Purpose have grown and evolved over the last few years. They started out searching under water for trash, vehicles and whatever else they could find.

That they don't accept rewards appears to be their policy now even if it wasn't two years ago. Over the last couple of years they've probably had so many donations they don't need reward money. It's the public that has enabled them to buy the most sophisticated equipment, allowed them to travel, etc, through donations, Imo. Publicity has helped, too.

When 17 year old Nicolas Allen went missing, the family was frustrated with the initial search. Apparently it was a week before LE searched by air with helicopters. The family asked AWP for help and they found the vehicle and their son and in about two hours! Imo I don't know how many missing people they've found since then, I think I read 26 altogether?

There's no search and recovery group quite like them, they are amazing!

Hi @DeDee.

You stated in your post, T6,#934, that "I looked for Nick Rinn's [AWP] quote regarding the broken glass window to no avail. The NYPost wrote NR told them that the driver’s window was broken and there was a body in the backseat."

Unfortunately, I believe that is a trick played on all of us by the NYPOST. In my T6, #181 post, I shared the 8/23 email I sent the NY POST online editor regarding confusion and apparent lack of substantiation of the information you cited.

“The vehicle was found upside down and about 14 feet underwater, diver Nick Rinn, who discovered the car, told The Post. The driver’s window was broken and there was a body in the backseat.”

An excerpt from my email to the NY POST is as follows:

My first read of this sentence was that Mr. Rinn stated the second sentence of the author’s paragraph. And that seems ludicrous given how cautious AWP is with all their statements pertaining to their underwater discovery work. My second read, with a more critical analysis, is that the authors of the article put the two sentences together in a paragraph as a way to infer Mr. Rinn said the second sentence. When in actuality, there is no source cited for that second sentence.

Yes, @RedHaus ! I loved your communication regarding the non-quote by NR. I hope I can find the response when it's posted, if you receive one. Thank you for approaching the NYP about this important detail. I can't read Kiely's thread much because at 16yo, she was a baby girl in my heart. Other than JonBenet, then Libby and Abby of Delphi, Kiely's shocking death captured me. I try to steer away from cases involving our precious children.

Another thought I had pertains to the shattered windshield. Perhaps Kiely's head hit the windshield on impact since she wasn't wearing a seat belt even though we're told her vehicle did not careen into the water. I suppose I'm searching for a way to minimize her suffering and hope she had a concussion or something similar so she was unaware of the darkness rapidly engulfing, woefully extinguishing her light.

It takes one minute to drown; less if one panics. 50 - 60 seconds is a very long span of time to be gripped by unimaginable fear while knowing there is no rescue; trapped with no way out. Hence, I pray Kiely went gently into the good night.

Adventures With Purpose have grown and evolved over the last few years. They started out searching under water for trash, vehicles and whatever else they could find.

That they don't accept rewards appears to be their policy now even if it wasn't two years ago. Over the last couple of years they've probably had so many donations they don't need reward money. It's the public that has enabled them to buy the most sophisticated equipment, allowed them to travel, etc, through donations, Imo. Publicity has helped, too.

When 17 year old Nicolas Allen went missing, the family was frustrated with the initial search. Apparently it was a week before LE searched by air with helicopters. The family asked AWP for help and they found the vehicle and their son and in about two hours! Imo I don't know how many missing people they've found since then, I think I read 26 altogether?

When Jared Leisek began his hobby of cleaning our marine environment, he found someone's wallet that held $150.00. He located the owner of the wallet so he could return the cash to them. What an awesome guy!

Doug Bishop, the ZZ Top look-alike, operated a tow truck business when he and Jared began working together. Now, Doug is the Lead Diver for Adventures with Purpose. I read where they were able to obtain a key piece of expensive equipment they yearned for that's been on their wish list for a while. Since locating Kiely they've acquired it. Soon, they will attend classes to learn how to use it efficiently.

I noticed that one article said they used two boats with sonar so it made me think that maybe they have some sonar grid system they set up- maybe more reliable at picking up a big 3D object? Just a thought.

Moo.. Kiely may know all those back roads well, exploring in the daytime. Nite time driving the ruts and such are distorted by the headlights. Going up hill is not too bad. Down hill you are blind to what is directly in front of you, because headlights are focused high and on distance. Moo

With the Honda having been submerged for two weeks, will they still be able to assess any mechanical issues - such as failed brakes, electrical short that might have caused headlights to fail, stuck gas pedal?
I guess they could look for obvious things like defective brake lines or accelerator linkage. Other improbable things like transmission malfunction could probably be found.

Don't know about shorts - they could find a bad headlight fuse if that was the case, but don't know if you could tell if that happened before or after the car was submerged.

EDR is only triggered, I think, when air bags are deployed. It would provide data if they had been but I have no idea what if any effect submersion in water would have on it. I would guess maybe a lot but don't really know.

JMHO

Perhaps I’m all wrong - but for me, I am not convinced the statements that ‘she was deeply familiar with these roads’ means it’s improbable that she got turned around leaving the campground and ended up in the lake (alcohol or not)
You make a very good point!

I was watching a YT streamer who interviewed Christine (she made the Nighttime Jeep Video) and she was telling the interviewer that she got turned around up there in the night. Her only saving grace was another vehicle that came up over a hillside and the headlights lit up the sides of the roads and she recognized a marker. She's someone who is VERY familiar with the roads and had no idea what direction she was going in. So, I don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility that a 16 year old new driver would get lost on the roads around Prosser, even though she grew up there.

IMO

Maybe but Kiely's upbringing even by Tahoe standards would have given her almost certainly superior skills. She learned how to drive going in and out of Lost Trail Lodge, said to be 4 miles of treacherous dirt roads. In winter, the lodge is only accessible by snowmobile. Kids here are snowmobiling and ATV riding before they drive. She was supposed to go camping with friends the next day. This is not a city kid clueless about nature stuck in the woods.

If she voluntarily or involuntarily took a substance like date rape drugs or hallucinogens, then I suppose some of those could ruin the cognitive abilities of just about anyone.
You make a good point! If Kiely drove that treacherous dirt road in and out of Lost Trail Lodge daily, then she probably didn’t think twice about driving in that area of Prosser.

I live down a dirt road in a very rural area, and I don’t think twice about it since I’ve been driving it over 20 years now, but when friends come down it the first time, they’re always afraid they might get stuck! They won’t- it’s hard bottom lol.

IMO, this supports the idea that she wouldn’t mind going off road a bit! MOO.

Or just plain old alcohol, which is involved in about a third of all fatal car accidents. I don't think there needs to be any other substance involved to explain inattentiveness or mistakes in driving. And it seems quite likely that she was drinking. She could certainly have taken something else as well, but I don't think it's necessary to the accident theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member