CA CA - Kristen Modafferi, 18, San Francisco, 23 June 1997

I would like to get the conversation going again on Kristen's case because there's been a lull in it the last couple of weeks. I found something interesting when I did a search in Google:
http://www.rpcvla.org/_disc1/0000000f.htm

I thought this whole thing had been squashed. It's interesting to note that it was just posted in August of this year, so maybe this is still a possibility? I guess I don't understand how someone could get all the way to Nicaragua without using a passport.

I read somewhere that Robert Durst is being looked at in the disappearance of Kristen. I can't remember where I read it, but it was something to the effect that he was in the area when she disappeared. Anyone else know about this? I'll try to find the link again.

I've been following the Kristen Modafferi case for several years now, and I'm glad to see a discussion going on here about it.

Originally posted by rachel

this is again part of my speculation that the roomies didn't think so much of it when Kristen hadn't been seen for a few days....

I don't think Kristen had been there long enough to establish a friendship with her roommates. They did call her parent's after Kristen did not return home in two days.

Law enforcement didn't pay much attention to the case the first week. When Bob and Debbie flew there on a Friday, the investigators had left for the weekend and no one would help them until he following Monday.

Mr. Cooke, thank you for clearing that up about the roommates because there's been a lot of speculation on here about exactly how they reacted to Kristen not being seen for a couple of days. Obviously we all have different relationships with the people that we live with, but I've just always been close with my roomates, even if he or she had only been living with us a short time.
I remember Dennis Mahon telling me that about the investigators when the Modafferis first arrived to look for Kristen. I can't believe they reacted so non-chalantly! Sometimes I think LE needs to stop and put themselves in the shoes of the parents and families. As far as you know, since the initial blow-off, has LE been helpful in the Modafferis' search for Kristen?

Originally posted by Litlstar04
I remember Dennis Mahon telling me that about the investigators when the Modafferis first arrived to look for Kristen. I can't believe they reacted so non-chalantly! Sometimes I think LE needs to stop and put themselves in the shoes of the parents and families. As far as you know, since the initial blow-off, has LE been helpful in the Modafferis' search for Kristen?

Missing adults usually get ignored by law enforcement if there is no crime scene or witness. You are correct in saying in it was a daughter of some one in law enforcement then would jump in it.

I think LE is working the case now. Bob and Debbie flew out there this last summer to meet with LE. It's very hard on them since they live in North Carolina. They need a break on Kristen's case just like we need one on Rachel's case.

Dennis has posted a lot of answers to a lot of questions:
http://www.findkristen.com/ResponseRD.html
You can also read the Reader's Digest article about Kristen, which is in the current issue:
http://www.findkristen.com/ReadersDigest12.html

I still keep going back to the roommates and how odd their behavior has been, especially if it's true that they opened Kristen's mail.
However, I think all signs point to Onuma. I don't think it's just a coincidence that an ex-employee at Spinelli's (who still had friends that worked there at the same time as Kristen) dated Jill Lampo. This could very well have been how Onuma came across Kristen. No matter what, I agree with Dennis that the few people that knew Kristen need to be sat down and questioned. Why wasn't this done in the first place? Isn't this a normal part of a typical investigation?

Litlstar, I'll have to go check out his website more often. I didn't know people were using the guest book as a sort of message board. I don't personally know what to think of the roommates. I did find it interesting that in the ABC article they happen to mention that all her roommates were males..which, in the first place, I didn't know and, secondly, has me wondering why they included that specific detail in the article. Seems kind of unimportant but I wonder if there is a reason behind it that the general public doesn't know about (such as an investigation into the roommates) but which ABC news learned of while doing the story and decided to slip in a small reference to that fact. :dontknow:

I think there are many things that are suspicious about Kristen's case and many angles to this case that the various stories and shows decide, for whatever reason, to leave out. It's incredibly frustrating because it leaves all of us in doubt of what is fact and what is fiction. It seems the same things keep coming up over and over, no matter how many times the server crashes. Maybe it is a good idea to list the issues that we've discussed, no matter how many times we've discussed them, and any answer or non-answer we know for each of them. Anyone feel free to add to this list.
1) Kristen did not clock out of work and was seen shortly after her shift ended in the presence of a woman with blonde hair. This blonde-haired woman has never come forward.
2) Kristen had asked her co-workers about the Land's End area in an attempt to find something to explore on what would probably have been one of her last free afternoons/evenings once her class started.
3) Her scent was traced to a bus stop bench, from which she presumably took a bus to the Land's End area where her scent was traced to the water. However, police have now said they wished they hadn't just assumed her scent stopped at this bus stop bench. By assuming that she got on the bus, they failed to see if her scent continued further. Remember, Onuma lived in the area at this point in time. Also, Kristen had been to this beach just previous to this, so this could have been how her scent was around the edge of the water.
4) Onuma calls in a tip to the police and says that two women that worked at the YMCA killed Kristen and disposed of her body under a bridge. Kristen's body is never found, but Onuma admits he made this up to get two women that his girlfriend, Jill Lampo, worked with in trouble.
5) Several of Onuma's girlfriends come forward to tell stories of abuse. One even says he threatened to kill her, claiming that the same thing that happened to Kristen Modafferi would happen to her.
6) Jill Lamp used to date Matthew Luque, a former employee at Spinelli's where Kristen last worked. Several pages of Jill's diary are missing from the days Kristen first disappeared, and she made phone calls to her family in the middle of the night.
7) Kristen lived with several male roommates who did not report her missing or think it was odd that she hadn't come home. When Kristen's dad called several days after she'd gone missing, one of the roommates told him that she hadn't come home in a few days.
8) When the Modafferi's arrived in San Francisco to look for their daughter, the detectives had gone home for the weekend, so they were told they'd have to wait until Monday.

I often think about Kristen and the poor Modafferi family....
It's also frustrating (for everyone!) that there "seems" to be nothing really concrete to go on, just a lot of really strange incidents. These include: the missing pages from Jill Lampo's date book/diary, the fact that Jon Onuma screamed at someone, "Now you'll know what happened to KM!" and the newest piece of information: that when JO was evicted from his home in Hawaii, after he left, police found a briefcase with a collection of articles/websites about KM.
There was something else that I've been thinking about. Somewhere on Dennis Mahon's site, there is a page called "Jill Lampo lying." Apparently, Jill said something to Dennis and the Mods. Then later on, someone else, who didn't realize the significance of what he/she was saying, said something to contradict it..... Obviously, we have no idea what Dennis is referring to here, but we can speculate. Whatever it it, Dennis (and the Mods) obviously feel that Jill is lying about something. Based on a few things, we assume that Jill wasn't directly involved in Krisren's disappearance. But I from what I've been reading, my understanding is that IT'S POSSIBLE that she holds a significant piece of information that she is witholding. Like, maybe she knows who the blond is (she is african-american, so it probably isn't her), or anything else. It could be, as well, that she knows something, and doesn't realize that its important.
I hope that the new year brings peace and closure to all the families, including the Mods, Smarts, Cookes, Bishes, etc...

Rachel, you said "she is african-american, so it probably isn't her"

I may have missed something here. Can you please specify whom you refer to? Thanks

Praying that 2004 brings answers to the families of the missing, Lanie

rachel is referring to Jill Lampo. It was previously speculated that Jill may have been the blonde woman that was spotted in the mall with Kristen shortly after her shift ended. It was then presumed that Jill led Kristen to Onuma, because this had happened previously with other women. However, recently, Dennis Mahon has said that Jill is a black woman, so it would have been more notable for her to have had blonde hair than a white woman. For this reason, he does not believe that Jill was the blonde-haired woman seen with Kristen that day, otherwise witnesses would most likely have noted that it was a black woman with blonde hair.

I'm sure there's no real connection, but still have to at least mention this (coincidence?) just in case it might turn out to be the same one travelling all over the country working for someone or something. It's been a long time.

I don't know if someone was lying about the composite drawing resembling someone in public ofc, reason they never published it.

I'm not familiar with the case you're referring to. There is another missing persons case where there a blonde woman?

Another thing I was thinking of: In the Reader's Digest article, when one of the detectives was speaking of the phony tip that JO said, the detective said something along the lines of, "You don't make a story like this up..." The detective was implying that JO knows something. Okay, well then how about this: JO said that KM's body was dumped in Point Rayes. If you look on the sutro baths web site, it says that Sutro Baths is part of the Golden Gate National REcreation Area, as is Point Reyes.... it's like this JO guy knows too much! If he had nothing to do with it....why would he specifically say Pt. Reyes?

Or this could be just nothing, and its known that Pt. Reyes is a popular place to dump bodies....like the East RIver in NYC.

Now my second question: why has the investigator disregarded the hotel theory (that KM had been seen at a hotel) ? I'm not so clear on that.

LE hasn't disregarded the theory that KM fell and was in some sort of fatal accident. Don't they have people working in LE who can track tides and wind speeds and try to figure out where the body went? And if they're so sure of it, why didn't they send out divers to look for her? KM possibly was a bit more trusting than other people, but she certainly seems bright enough to read and comprehend a sign that says, "Danger!"

In addition, this Sutro Baths/Lands End area seems a little isolated. Also, I read on the ABC transcripts of the ABC special that indicated that not only is the area isolated, but it's not exactly the best crowd of people hanging out there. Does anyone have more familiarity with the area? Could you tell us a little about it? Is it known as a spot to stay away from, don't go alone, don't go in the evening, etc...

Perhaps what is meant by not the best crowd hanging out there is that it seems to be a place where parties are held. In fact, Kristen was at a party there just previously to disappearing (which may also explain why her scent was there, not necessarily that she was there the day she was missing.) I'm not sure why the possible sighting of Kristen at the motel has been dismissed. The only thing that I can come up with is that there is evidence against this that we just don't know about.
I agree with you, rachel, that I don't buy the theory that Kristen was involved in an accident by the water/swept out to sea by a wave. I think that her body would have turned up, as I believe that most do eventually (even Laci's tied down body surfaced.)

Litlstar04 said:
However, recently, Dennis Mahon has said that Jill is a black woman, so it would have been more notable for her to have had blonde hair than a white woman. For this reason, he does not believe that Jill was the blonde-haired woman seen with Kristen that day, otherwise witnesses would most likely have noted that it was a black woman with blonde hair.

My wife has been following Kristen's case from the beginning and now I too am intrigued with it all. With regards to the above comments, on www.findkristen.com, the photograph of Jill Lampo is of a young white woman and yet Dennis Mahon has said that Jill is a black woman. Does anyone know what is closer to the truth? Is the photograph on the below link truely Jill Lampo?

Check out: http://www.findkristen.com/LampoLying.html

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley