CA CA - Kristen Modafferi, 18, San Francisco, 23 June 1997

I would sure like to know how accurate this new scientific analysis is… If it is true, it totally diminishes the likelihood (to me at least) that Jon Onuma was involved.

I just hope the roommates were fully investigated at the time, but could the mysterious blonde woman have been associated with them??

This news has me completely rethinking the case...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/fa...lotte-teen-disappears-in-california/530724359

"CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Twenty years ago this month, a young woman from Charlotte disappeared in San Francisco.

The Kristen Modafferi case sparked national media attention as her family desperately searched for answers..."
The technology to detect human decomposition chemicals in soil that's decades old could help solve a lot of cases. (Two cases that come to mind are the Kristen Smart case and the Jodi Huisentruit case.)

I would sure like to know how accurate this new scientific analysis is… If it is true, it totally diminishes the likelihood (to me at least) that Jon Onuma was involved.

I just hope the roommates were fully investigated at the time, but could the mysterious blonde woman have been associated with them??

This news has me completely rethinking the case...

What gives you the idea that JO is off the hook? The PI was looking for JL for years. I found her on social media and gave the info to the PI. There were then posts on WS about Kristen's rent money and the possibility that JO and JL had brought her there and she was buried there. After that, LE was at the Oakland house, and then with a cadaver dog. Now this new device from Vass is showing that someone died there. If you click on the link for the ABC news report you will see that this information about the Oakland home apparently came from JL and she points the finger at JO!

Wow. I will have to reread the article. I definitely missed the part about JL being responsible for the new lead. That is huge...

http://abc7news.com/news/kristen-mo...nvestigators-shed-light-on-cold-case/2138162/
June 22, 2017
"He hit me over the head ... and said 'you know I'm going to have to kill you. I can't let you go,'" one accuser, in silhouette, said. "Then he turned around and said, 'now you know what happened to Kristen Modafferi.'"

ABC7 News reached Onuma on the phone. He no longer lives in California and did not want the conversation recorded. He admitted to calling the newsroom and said he's remorseful about it.

"I put the attention on me when I shouldn't have, and I screwed up," he said. "I took the focus off the investigation."

Onuma said he never met Kristen. Lampo said she hadn't met her either and couldn't prove whether Onuma had ever encountered the teen.

The FBI still has Kristen's picture, as a missing person, on its website. An FBI spokesperson said they cleared Onuma and Lampo as a persons of interest and closed the bureau's case.

Oakland police's file on the case, however, remains open - and they consider Onuma and Lampo persons of interest.

Before the Internet put it out of business, there was a very popular "hip" weekly newspaper in the Bay Area called the Bay Guardian. A regular feature was a "personals" want-ad section. Along with the usual "men seeking women, men seeking men, etc. was a section titled "Just Friends" which seemed to be used primarily by newcomers to the Bay Area to find similar minded friends and establish a social network. The Oakland police, upon searching Kristen's room after she went missing, found an ad from this section cut out and saved. The ad was by a young woman, new to the area,seeking another young woman to explore the San Francisco area with. Since Kristen had only been in town a week or so, I doubt she placed the ad but she may have found the ad interesting and may have responded to it. The OPD has apparently established that there was no evidence that Kristen had either placed or responded to that ad.

The ad was significant because coworkers of Kristen saw (or thought they saw) her with a blonde woman in the mall near where she worked soon after Kristen's shift ended. She had asked coworkers about the Sutro Baths, she had done a search on them on her PC, and a dog had followed her sent there. Sutro Baths would have been a natural spot for newcomers to SF to check out on a nice day.

The Bay Guardian had a system where people could reply without the poster publicity exposing their address or phone number. It is not clear that the Bay Guardian retained records of who responded to those adds but they certainly knew who placed them. I have not found any indication that the person who placed was identified and interviewed by Law Enforcement and that person or someone with ties to that person did not meet Kristen that day or have any connection to Onuma.

Kristen's disappearance was big news in the Bay Area and you would expect the Blonde Woman to come forward if she were with Kristen that day ( or with some who might be mistaken for Kristen) if she was otherwise uninvolved, but things don't always work that way.

Still, the fact that the Blonde Woman never came forward and Kristen was apparently interested in meeting new friends to explore around with would suggest that there is a high probability that the mystery Blonde is connected to her disappearance.

I am skeptical that anything will come of the possible traces of a body at that house she was living in but you can not absolutely rule out any involvement of one of her roommates. Certainly it is possible something bad could have happened anywhere between Sutro Baths and her place in Oakland, however rare "off the street" daytime abductions of grown women might be. And, there is the possibility of a rouge wave washing her out to sea. It had happened at least once before.

All things considered, I believe the Blonde Woman is the best clue. It is not unheard of for sexual predators to enlist women to help them secure victims although I am unaware of anyone using such a ploy in Northern California at the time. Then you have to wonder, "were the coworkers who saw the Blonde Woman asked if she could have resembled Lampo, perhaps wearing a blonde wig"?

I just finished reading this thread and a lot of the links that are included. Some of them no longer work. I have just started reading the guestbook entries. This case is intriguing. So many coincidences... unless they aren't coincidences at all. I don't have anything to offer that hasn't already been discussed, but I wanted to give this a bump. I did a Google search and found the most recent msm article is the one posted above. I wonder what ever came of the results from the soil testing, if anything...

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/kristen-modafferi
attachment.php

Attachments

• kristen-modafferi.gif
    kristen-modafferi.gif
    45.7 KB · Views: 180
I'm having trouble getting this link to load for some reason. I'm using my phone and can't read the details on the pic you posted either. Is it showing anything new?

Sorry, hesitated before posting because the information was hard to read, the main reason i did post it was for the pics.

Sorry, hesitated before posting because the information was hard to read, the main reason i did post it was for the pics.
No worries! I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something. I'm glad you posted it for the pics, it's important.

Just came across a podcast by Dennis Mahon on Kristen’s case, as well as Kristin Smart and Kent Jacobs: http://kristinsmart.podomatic.com. It’s not a high production podcast, but Dennis goes through tons of info related to these cases, and I found it to be very valuable. I’d love to get more attention back on this case, as I feel that the pressure from attention is the only way the Modafferis will get answers.

What sticks out in your mind from the podcast??

The possible crime scene location in Oakland sure is interesting, I am waiting for more news about that

JL and JO's names have been swirling around this case from day 1. I know it's because JO called in a false tip, but these 2 have had the spotlight on them forever. If they are not involved why don't they just go away and move on with their lives. in 2012 JL made that admission about being involved in an "unspeakable kidnap and murder" to her uncle. I don't know if she is mental, making things up, obsessed with revenge on JO or what but why keep talking about KM if she had no involvement. Also, women in JO's life have reported that he would threaten that they would "end up like KM". Unless everyone is making everything up, JO's ex girlfriends, JL, JL' s uncle? If even a little bit is true JO and JL sure love to insert KM's name into their conversations.

The Podcast is an account of a trip down a rabbit hole. JO is a conman, grifter, ladies man and would be cult leader. His backstory and the “interesting” crowd he moves America the story a worth while listen. He is certainly a thief, a lier and a manipulator. Not only can nothing he says be believed but when he lies, no one can be sure what his agenda is. He has certainly committed crimes and has been known to physically abuse the women in his life. At one point, long after Kristen vanished, he did have one of his girlfriends try to recruit young girls she would meet on the street to meet JO, possibly to join a cult he hope to set up or perhaps just steal their credit cards; it is had to figure out all he was up to. In any event, there is nothing in his sordid background to suggest that he might abduct and murder someone, but, of course, you never know.

When there is no DNA or other forensic evidence, the best chance of solving a cold case is getting someone to talk now who wouldn’t at the time. Ex wives or girlfriends who are now disgruntled ex’s are good prospects for this. JL was JO’s girlfriend at the time but she has long broken with him. She apparently told a relative that she had been involved with some sort of kidnapping with an employee ex-boyfriend but she has insisted continually to Law Enforcement that she knows nothing about Kristen. I don’t know if she has been offered immunity.

Aside from JO there is really nothing. A cadaver dog detected “something” years later in the basement of the house she had been living in but no body or anything else.

There was a local Paper that ran personal ads for “just friends” that had an ad from a young woman seeking other young women who were new in town to “hang out and explore the area with” there was speculation that Kristen may have answered the ad or even placed it herself but I can find no evidence that the issue was ever followed up with or resolved.

Kristen left work at the end of her shift (but she forgot to punch out). She may have been seen by some co-workers later that afternoon with some unknown blonde woman. She may have gone to visit Sutton Baths that afternoon as she had discussed it with a co-worker and did a search on it on her PC. Dogs even tracked her going that direction but there is no evidence she ever made it. All that known is that her roommates claim she never returned that night and no one admits to having seen her after the possible sighting with the blonde woman.

If Kristen was taken by a sexual predator, this would be a very unusual case. There is absolutely no reason to believe she was engaged in a high risk lifestyle and there were no known abductions or attempted abductions of other women in the area. Sexual predators who abduct strangers (whom they have no way of being connected to) usually do not make any special effort to conceal the bodies of their victims. There are always going to be exceptions but Kirsten’s case did not fit any obvious pattern but, to law enforcement, it seemed most likely that Kristen went consensually, at least initially, with whoever was responsible.

Then again, there is alway the possibility that she was swept to sea while visiting Sutro Baths.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The situation at Spinelli‘s, right after Kristen disappeared provides very interesting clue.

First of all, she didn’t clock out. What might be the reason?? secondly, the story of the mysterious blonde woman originates minutes after Kristen didn’t clock out. Kristen was reportedly seen in the mall by two of her coworkers. They reported seeing Kristen walking with a blond woman, but The Who never come forward despite a major media campaign to find her. So, either this mysterious blonde woman is involved, or the coworkers are lying. Either one of these options has a substantial bearing on the case, I wish we knew more…

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back