Still Missing CA - Kristin Smart, 19, San Luis Obispo, 25 May 1996 *arrests* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
To add to my last post:

-The cadaver dog testimony was convincing to me, but I'm not sure how most others felt/feel about this.

-I find it extremely significant that the F. family have stayed in the same homes & the same area(s) since KS's disappearance in 1996. I.e., from all accounts it seems that they're treated with animosity/distrust/etc. when they go out in public due to their obvious connection to the crime - and this has apparently been going on for years. It's obvious that most people in their situation would have sold the houses & moved away long ago. Why put themselves through this unnecessary grief/hassle?! It's obvious they could have gotten a lot of $ for these homes. I.e., they could easily have sold them & gotten even an even nicer house/houses in another area/state where the real estate was lower - and probably had $ left over. Going along with this, it's evident that before CL's podcast the case wasn't nearly as well known - outside of the local area. So, they could certainly have moved somewhere (where not many/any had heard about the case) & started new lives, etc.

However, it's obvious why they've stayed in the houses all of this time & have never left. It was because they didn't want the authorities to come & dig anything up.

I hope this is brought up by the prosecution at the trial, but I'm not sure if it will be - given that it's not hard evidence.
I am somewhat local and very familiar with the case. Unfortunately, I have been too busy to go to the courthouse, so I greatly appreciate the updates.

JMHO, I have a lot of faith in cadaver dogs, and also tracking and trailing dogs. They have no prejudice. I followed a case (Charli Scott) some years ago where a cadaver dog found fragments of the deceased's corpse (fingertips and a jawbone). These dogs are amazing. I hope the testimony of the dog handlers will be very helpful and influential to the jury.

WRT "hard" evidence. Sometimes, jurors don't get DNA, fingerprints, security camera photos, etc. Sometimes, they have to decide what is 'reasonable' doubt. What is reasonable to me might not be quite as reasonable to you. I have followed this case for a while and I think the circumstantial evidence against Paul and Ruben Flores is strong. Paul's history since Kristin's murder is very telling, IMHO.

All things said, I pray for justice for Kristin. MOO.

for Thursday, 8/26

Quoted from the above article:

The dog handler told Sanger she didn't know the chemical compound of a chocolate cake either but knows it when she sees it.

He fired back, "Do you think this is funny? This is a murder trial."

Glad that S. is admitting this is a murder trial. Earlier, he was implying that KS disappeared to "start a new life" & that's why she cut off all of her contact with her family & hasn't been seen in 26 years.

Last edited:
Quoted from the above article:

The dog handler told Sanger she didn't know the chemical compound of a chocolate cake either but knows it when she sees it.

He fired back, "Do you think this is funny? This is a murder trial."

Glad that S. is admitting this is a murder trial. Earlier, he was implying that KS disappeared to "start a new life" & that's why she cut off all of her contact with her family & hasn't been seen in 26 years.
AHH The Freudian slip

I think there may be times when Paul's attorney, Sanger, wishes Ruben's attorney, Mesick, would just shut the heck up ("volatile organic compounds" for example).

With earlier cadaver dog evidence introduced by the dog-handlers, Mesick kept emphasizing that no body was found where the dogs were alerting. Here, he INTRODUCES what might be found where a body had once been. (Chuckle.)

ETA: And Mesick's subsequent pivot to "menstrual blood" doesn't undo that. NO ONE calls menstrual blood "volatile organic compounds."

Firstly, thank you so much for the updates to the thread, it's absolutely amazing and I'm so grateful.

Secondly, the witnesses and professionals that have been called to the stand in this trial have been OUTSTANDING. And I include those amazing dogs in that.

I hope the entire Smart family get the justice they deserve.

Monday, August 29th:
*Trial continues (Day 18) (@ 8:30am PT) - CA - Kristin Denise Smart (19) (missing May 25, 1996 while walking back to her dorm from a off campus frat party at Cal Poly, reported missing on May 26, 1996, San Luis Obispo, still missing; legally declared dead on May 25, 2002) – *Paul Ruben Flores (19 @ time of crime/44/now 45) arrested (4/13/21), charged (4/14/21) & arraigned (10/20/21) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. No bond.
*Ruben Ricardo Flores (55 @ time of crime/80/now 81) arrested (4/13/21), charged (4/14/21) & arraigned (10/20/21) with accessory to murder after the fact. Plead not guilty. $250K bond. Bond was lower to $50K. Has posted bond (4/22/21), out of jail.
Trial began on 7/18/22 with opening statements for Paul in am & Ruben in pm (which was continued on 7/21/22).
Paul’s attorney Robert Sanger & Ruben’s is Harold V. Mesick. Prosecutor is Christopher Peuvrelle. Judge Jennifer O’Keefe presiding.
Judge O’Keefe has blocked defense attorney Sanger from suggesting someone else killed Smart unless he can provide evidence of direct involvement.
Trial has been moved from San Luis Obispo County to Monterey County in Salinas. For 2 juries each: 12 jurors & 8 alternates; Paul’s: 8 men & 12 women & Ruben’s: 9 men & 10 women (still waiting for correction). 8/4/22: Another juror from Ruben's jury is out this morning & an alternate was sworn in to replace them. So now the count is correct at 19. 8/10/22: Sick juror did not return, alternate sworn in. Paul’s: 7 men & 12 women & Ruben’s: 9 men & 10 women. (a guess on genders).

Case & court info from 5/17/21 thru Final Jury Selection Day 1-2 (7/11 & 7/12/22 for Ruben) & 7/14 thru 7/19/22 & Trial Day 1-4 (7/18, 7/21-7/25/22) & 7/26/22 & Trial Day 5-9 (8/1 to 8/8/22), (no court on 8/9/22) & Trial Day 10-15 (8/10-8/24/22) reference post #878 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...s-obispo-25-may-1996-arrests-3.588288/page-44

8/25/22 Thursday, Trial Day 16: State witnesses: Gail LaRoque, certified human remains deteciton dog handler from 1994-2001 (her boxer, Torrey).
For more info see posts #879, 880 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...s-obispo-25-may-1996-arrests-3.588288/page-44
State witnesses: Gail Laroque. Angie former girlfriend of Paul’s (no last name given).
For more info see posts #885, 887 to 900 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...s-obispo-25-may-1996-arrests-3.588288/page-45
State witness: Angie (continued). Her cross examination will continue on Friday.
For more info see posts #901 & 902 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...s-obispo-25-may-1996-arrests-3.588288/page-46
New request asks judge to allow video for Kristin Smart trial closing arguments & reading of the verdict from 9 news organizations.
Trial continues on 8/26/22.

8/26/22 Friday, Trial Day 17: State witnesses: Angie, Paul’s gf from 2004-06 back for cross-examination.
For more info see posts #903 to 905 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...s-obispo-25-may-1996-arrests-3.588288/page-46
Trial continues on Monday, 8/29/22.

Peuvrelle asked Stone if he remembered telling San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office detective Clint Cole in Feb. 2021 that Ruben Flores called Smart a “dirty *advertiser censored* all the time,” to which Stone replied he hadn’t.

Peuvrelle showed Stone a transcript of his interview with Cole to refresh his memory, but Stone said he still did not remember saying that in the conversation.

When asked if he had spoken with the defense in the past year, Stone said he hadn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni