CA CA - Kristin Smart, 19, San Luis Obispo, 25 May 1996

Status
Not open for further replies.
rbbm.
If those dogs can detect scent from that long ago, it gives hope for other cold cases, imo.

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/World/2016/09/07/22664802.html
“We’re not sure where this is going to take us,” San Luis Obispo County Sheriff Ian Parkinson told a press conference near the excavation site. “Obviously, we want to be optimistic as possible and we hope that this leads us to either Kristin or evidence of Kristin.”

The site in hilly terrain next to a campus parking lot was one of several identified in January by dogs specially trained in detecting the scent of very old human remains.

The location was disclosed because of its high visibility but the other sites were being kept secret because “we do not want to tip our hat to the possible suspect or suspects out there,” Parkinson said.
“We have developed this lead over the past couple of years and have been working on it,” Parkinson said. “This lead was determined, or developed, after a comprehensive review of the entire case.”

Kristin Smart’s family hopes Cal Poly dig is a breakthrough after 20 years

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/crime/article100386492.html

In an emailed statement, the Smarts said their hopes were rekindled when San Luis Obispo Sheriff Ian Parkinson took office, and that the excavation work this week on a hillside at the Cal Poly campus are a confirmation of his department’s commitment to the case and a crucial step in bringing their daughter home.

“While we are hopeful and it is our fervent prayer for Kristin to be recovered and returned to our family with this effort, our hopes are tempered with the history of the last two decades,” Stan and Denise Smart wrote.

“Kristin has long deserved the attention, effort and respect that Sheriff Parkinson, his department, the FBI, the District Attorney and Cal Poly are giving to her recovery and our quest for justice,” they added. “We are confident that the ‘person of interest’ will soon be held accountable for taking her life and harboring her remains for over 20 years.

“We are mindful that with or without the hoped for results from this weeks efforts, we are now on a path that will bring our family peace and comfort,” they wrote.

September 7, 2016

Officials search for remains of California student who vanished 20 years ago

1473231541815.jpg

Federal authorities and California police said Tuesday they would be excavating three sites at the California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo in hopes to find the remains of a missing student who vanished after an off-campus party more than two decades ago.

Kristin Smart was last seen on May 25, 1996, near the campus. Officials have said the location for the search was based on the activities of dogs who specialize in detecting human remains.

San Luis Obispo County Sheriff Ian Parkinson said during a press conference, “Due to its high visibility, we really decided it was best to go ahead and disclose why we are here…. We will not give up to find Kristin.”

“The canines and other information led us to choose the three locations,” FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller added.

<SNIP>

According to the Associated Press, the dig, expected to begin in earnest Wednesday and last about four days, was timed to occur while classes were not in session at Cal Poly. The excavation was to go 3 feet deep and extend outward 90 feet, involving 25 FBI agents and unspecified special equipment.

When asked, officials have reported that they are not any closer to making an arrest in this case than previously.

The Associated Press has reported that a California law, the Kristin Smart Campus Safety Act of 1998, now requires campus police to spell out exactly when they will call in outside authorities to investigate a violent crime.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/0...fornia-student-who-vanished-20-years-ago.html

Some ‘items of interest’ found in search for clues in Kristin Smart disappearance

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/crime/article100626402.html

The FBI has found some “items of interest” as it continued excavation work Thursday in the third day of a search for clues to the 1996 disappearance of Cal Poly freshman Kristin Smart, a sheriff’s spokesman said.

Earth movers are digging into a hillside near the Cal Poly “P,” the landmark concrete letter overlooking the campus in north San Luis Obispo. The excavation is being done in three areas of the hillside and crews were focused on the second site Thursday morning.

Tony Cipolla, a spokesman for the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office, said the work uncovered some “items of interest” on Wednesday, although he wouldn’t elaborate on what those items were. Forensic archeologists and DNA experts are on scene to analyze any finds, he said.

You guys beat me to this i seen it on Crime Watch Daily yesterday .This has been one of the first cases that got me interested in crime and over the years i have thought of Kristin a lot and to be more specific i have been waiting for the FBI to take over and grab that scronny little punk Paul Flores we all know he did this and he knows they got him by the short n curleys if they ever locate her remains.. I am on edge hoping that they find her this time and Flores can plead the 5th over n over but it wont matter...

I hope they finally find her, poor girl. this was all over the news then and over the years, I lived in madera (central valley) at the time and cal poly is central coast and Stockton is just north of madera.

Do you know that they even investegated Scott peterson for this crime ..they were at school at the same time ..clearly it wasn't him but i remember that from court tv back in the day..But they know Paul Flores did this it was the very next day that cadaver dogs were all over his bed and they even confronted him that there was a decomposing body in your bed ..I wonder if they kept the mattress for DNA might be able to do something with that now in 2016 ...

Investigators find ‘remains’ while searching at San Luis Obispo site for missing student Kristin Smart

http://www.dailynews.com/general-news/20160908/investigators-find-remains-while-searching-at-san-luis-obispo-site-for-missing-student-kristin-smart

Investigators digging up a San Luis Obispo hillside in search of a female student last seen 20 years ago with a man now living in San Pedro have discovered “remains” that will be analyzed to see if they are human or animal and related to her disappearance, a Sheriff’s Department spokesman said Thursday.

San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Tony Cipolla would not disclose exactly what was found, but called this week’s dig “the most promising lead that we’ve had in a number of years” in the search for 19-year-old Kristin Smart, a California Polytechnic University San Luis Obispo student who vanished in 1996.

In an interview, Cipolla at first called the discovery “items of interest” that were found Wednesday during the first full day of the official dig. But, he added, the “items of interest” are being classified as “remains.”

“Whether they are animal or human, that’s what we have to determine,” Cipolla said. “Whether it’s bones, whether it’s clothing. It could be any number of things.”

If what was found is human, Cipolla said there is a chance it could be remains from a Chumash Indian.

Sep 8 2016, 11:24 pm ET

'Items of Interest' Found in Search for Kristin Smart, Student Missing Since 1996

by Phil Helsel

Investigators in California have recovered "items of interest" in an excavation of a college campus attended by a woman who disappeared more than 20 years ago, authorities said.

The family of Kristin Smart, who was 19 when she vanished while returning to her dorm at California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo in May of 1996, said they were encouraged by the possible development.

"We have been hoping, praying and waiting for the last twenty years for the return of our daughter," the Smart family said in a statement...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ch-kristin-smart-student-missing-1996-n645231

How did they decide to dig in this spot? A tip? From who?

Reports I've read say that back in January the FBI brought in specialized cadaver dogs trained to detect very old remains. They identified three areas of interest in the hills near the part of the campus Kristin was last seen in. The "remains" mentioned in the latest news reports were found during excavations yesterday in of one of those locations.

Latest updates as of 6PM EDT Friday 9/9/16: a Sheriff's office spokesperson announced this afternoon that "items of interest" have now been found at all three excavation sites that the cadaver dogs made indications at back in January of this year. While the authorities are not yet releasing any details on what these items are, references to the ones found yesterday were labeled "remains" and as mentioned in my prior post, those are apparently in the hands of the FBI which is attempting to determine exactly what type of remains they are.

It would be nice to see a resolution to this case, but I will be surprised if the remains turn out to be Kristin's. Another poster suggested that Flores probably rolled Kristin up in a piece of carpeting and placed her in the dumpster that was very close to the dorm. LE screwed the pooch by stopping the search at the landfill too soon. If Flores didn't use the dumpster, he probably got Kristin to a vehicle and buried her somewhere far from campus.

Dig for Kristin Smart yields remains: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=157&sid=414...ornia-student-missing-20-years-yields-remains

Remains were found during a three-day excavation looking for a California college student missing for more than 20 years but it may take months before officials know if they're human, authorities said Friday. FBI agents and local sheriff's deputies searched three hillside locations on the campus of California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, said Tony Cipolla, a spokesman for the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff's Office.

Cipolla said various items of interest turned up in all three spots, including remains that will need to be tested to determine if they're animal or human.

Just found this thread after reading the recent news articles.

Can somebody tell me how this case is different from other cases where it seems someone was arrested with similar or less evidence? Maybe Scott Peterson isn't the best example since they had a body for evidence, but I'm pretty sure there's other cases where no body was found but a suspect was still prosecuted. I'm just not sure how P.F. escaped an attempt at prosecution.

Either way, hoping and praying for justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24