Identified! CA - Lake Buena Vista, "Buena Vista Leg Doe" fnd Jul 2018, body fnd Jul 2020 - Shirley Mae Cassel

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by JerseyGirl, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Hp.quinn

Hp.quinn New Member

Hopefully her family can feel some sort of closure at least as far as the unknown of her whereabouts. I read that the vehicle was just recently pulled from the lake in July 2020 with human remains found inside and the DNA matched the leg. So sad :( I hope investigators can figure out what exactly happened... Seems a little odd that only a leg would get washed up but other remains were inside the vehicle for years (-_-)

2. victoriarobinson642

victoriarobinson642 Well-Known Member

3. Susikatze

Susikatze Active Member

You are home now, Shirley. Rest easy!

Al Ka likes this.
  4. Susikatze

Susikatze Active Member

How did she end up in the lake? Did they find out? Suicide or accident (id think the latter as they are easier ways to take your life than driving into a lake and drowning slowly...)?

Rest easy, sweet soul!

5. YaYa_521

YaYa_521 Every Body's Name Matters

Rest in peace, Shirley. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends.

Al Ka likes this.
  6. Mind your biscuits

Mind your biscuits Well-Known Member

I'm So glad she has been identified. RIP.

Al Ka likes this.
  7. booberry

booberry New Member

8. Catmommy

Catmommy I'm not but they think I am

Missing for so long and finally found. May your family find peace and may you rest in it at last.

9. djanga

djanga Well-Known Member

10. MarziPanda

MarziPanda Well-Known Member

RIP, Shirley. I'm glad they were able to recover your body and bring some closure to your family. This seems like a case that would have been solved anyway without DDP once they found the rest of her body in the car, but I'm sure DDP helped with publicity and it was probably helpful to have a case with an unusual admixture. So they can learn for the next Doe with similar admixtures.

A little sad that she was reported missing by her landlord. I hope she had people who loved her.

11. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

I really wonder about the body parts ? How does that happen from inside the car?

inmyhumbleopinion and MadMcGoo like this.
  12. Vern

Vern Well-Known Member

The leg was found a year after she was first reported missing so perhaps a window broken or partially down that allowed the decomposing limp to escape out of the vehicle? That's all I can come up with. So glad she has her name back.

13. PayrollNerd

PayrollNerd Well-Known Member

Sounds like a tragic accident.

Never Forget Me

Our deepest condolences go out to her family ✝

Update: Body parts found at Kern County lake 2 years apart belonged to missing Santa Ana woman: Authorities

KTLA Digital Staff
    5 hours ago

California- A Santa Ana woman reported missing in 2017 has been positively identified after her remains were found at Kern County’s Buena Vista Lake in separate locations two years apart, KTLA sister station KGET in Bakersfield reported Thursday.

Shirley Mae Cassel was 63 years old when she was last seen alive at her residence on Aug. 21, 2017, according to the Santa Ana Police Department.

Cassel’s landlord reported her missing weeks later.

On July 28, 2018, part of a human leg was found along the shore of Buena Vista Lake by a 5-year-old girl.

Then, on July 12, 2020, more human remains were discovered in a car that was located in the lake, according to KGET.

At the time, investigators said the submerged vehicle was linked to someone who had been missing for three years.

Police had indicated that it appeared Cassel had taken her car with her when she vanished, as the vehicle was not at her residence.

The Kern County Sheriff’s Office positively identified that the remains were from the same woman through DNA testing.

The Sheriff’s Office has closed its portion of the investigation, which is now being handled by Santa Ana police, KGET reported.

ktla.com/news/local-news/human-remains-found-at-kern-county-lake-2-years-apart-belonged-to-missing-santa-ana-woman-authorities/amp/

14. PayrollNerd

PayrollNerd Well-Known Member

Wow the community want them to dredge the lake at the time the leg was found.

Bakersfield Tuff
    The leg that washed ashore at Buena Vista Lake on July 28, 2018, was that of 64-year-old Shirley Mae Cassel. She went missing from Santa Ana in 2017, according to the Kern County Sheriff’s Office. The rest of her body was pulled from a car, found underwater on July 12th. Many residents asked the County to drain the reservoir when the leg originally washed ashore. Instead, the car and body remained in the lake until this year, when it was pulled out with a body inside. This left boaters and recreational users in the water with a car and body in the lake. This also puts the body and car in the water during The Lighting in a Bottle Festival, where thousands of people from all over the world attended, many of whom swam in the lake.

Our thoughts go out to Shirley and her friends and family.

15. Bit of hope

Bit of hope Well-Known Member

RIP Shirley Mae Cassel.

(I asked the mods to change the thread head)

16. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators