Found Deceased CA - Lucas Horan, 39, Emeryville Marina, 24 Dec 2020

mlhenn

Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

upload_2020-12-31_7-1-20.jpeg
5’8”
145lbs
Brown hair
Blue eyes

Clothing
Gray fleece jacket, unknown color shirt and jeans

Circumstances of Disappearance
Horan was last seen on the shoreline near the Emeryville Marina on 12/24/2020 at approx. 2300 hours. Horan was last seen wearing a gray fleece jacket, unknown shirt and jeans.

Man missing after swimming near Emeryville Marina, police seek help locating

https://local.nixle.com/alert/8441404/

Man Missing After Swimming Near Emeryville Marina

FINDING LUCAS HOME PAGE

what we know — FINDING LUCAS

where he was last seen
We have been told Lucas was last seen by his neighbor between 11:30 and 12:30am Christmas Eve (going into Christmas Day) in the shallow water of the Emeryville Marina. Lucas and his neighbor had gone for a boat ride and Lucas apparently decided to swim back to shore which was estimated to be about 100-200 yards. The neighbor believes to have seen Lucas make it to shallow water and headed up to the rocks to climb back onto shore. (From KKF: Lucas is a very capable swimmer and it is not uncharacteristic of him to want to take a dip in cold water.)

To NOTE:
Lucas may be going by “Lucas Savage” as opposed to “Lucas Horan” given that he was planning to change his name when we got married.

•a cancer-curing immune therapy scientist at Eureka Therapeutics

•a molecular biologist

Last edited by a moderator:
There are lots of locals out searching for Lucas, he was very prominent in the ultra running community. Flyers are being placed all over the local area. All searches including those done by the police in and around the water haven't turned up anything.

Some more info from the website that was created to help co-ordinate the search:

what he has & does not have with him
NO CAR & NO CELL PHONE

Lucas car is still in the Marina. His cell phone was at his boat (he lives on the boat) and is currently with the police. They are working to get access to this to see if it has any clues.

NO DRIVERS LICENSE OR ID

Lucas may be going by “Lucas Savage” as opposed to “Lucas Horan” given that he was planning to change his name when we got married.

LIKELY VERY LITTLE RUNNING GEAR

We cannot find an indication that he has a pack, running poles, or other gear for a long trip

POSSIBLY HAS CREDIT CARD

Lucas may possibly have a credit card with him, although it’s uncertain whether he has been spending any money on it or not. I believe the police are working to get this information (credit card spending) as this would obviously be a helpful bit of information).

MOST LIKELY WEARING RUNNING SHOES

We were told he was wearing running shoes when he jumped into the water so it’s likely he wore them out of the water, but it’s possible that he ditched the wet shoes (although none have been found) or did not have a pair of shoes on (would be surprising to me.

MOST LIKELY DID NOT RETURN TO THE BOAT AFTER TAKING HIS SWIM

Lucas’ parents went onto the boat with the detectives yesterday and it did not appear he had come back to the boat to change clothes. Further, we have been told by the police that they have scanned the video footage from the Emeryville Marina cameras going out to the docks and around the public areas and he was not seen.

There has also been a FB group set up to help: Facebook Groups

KKF’s side of the story tells of a tumultuous relationship on the day he went missing, to the extent that his fiancé kicked him out of the car on the way to celebrate at an activity he had arranged for her Christmas present.

<modsnip>

He seems like a great guy and I hope he’s found soon.

Not to be uncharitable, but, assuming he is located healthy and well, I hope this couple gets A LOT of counseling before marriage. Seems like there are some red flags with this relationship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can we post this link? If not, I’ll ask to get it deleted...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/laf/d/emeryville-missing-person-lucas-horan/7254834919.html

upload_2020-12-31_21-32-29.jpeg

Lucas Horan (maybe going by last name Savage) was last seen last seen by his neighbor between 11:30pm and 12:30am Christmas Eve (going into Christmas Day) in the shallow water of the Emeryville Marina. Lucas and his neighbor had gone for a boat ride and Lucas apparently decided to swim back to shore which was estimated to be about 100-200 yards.

The neighbor believes to have seen Lucas make it to shallow water and headed up to the rocks to climb back onto shore.

Per his fiancé, he is a vary capable swimmer, and it is not uncharacteristic of him to want to take a dip in cold water. A recent search of the coastline did not turn up anything unusual.

He's an avid adventurer, and so is most likely on foot, near the coast or in the east bay park system. If you have any leads or details, please notify Emeryville PD.

With this info and the other articles I’ve read, I feel like they believe he made it out of the water, like they’re not considering the possibility he drown. JMO

What the heck. This is a weird one
Very strange... From what I gather the story is he swam a short distance (by his standards) to shore in cold water and was said to have been seen leaving the water, then presumably just ran off into the night instead of waiting for his friend in the boat? Did the boat not go straight to shore? Just watched him from a distance as he swam? It's not like this is a quiet and calm lake surrounded by nature, it's a marina surrounded by a city on all sides.

Backpackers Guide to Fleece Jackets: Is Fleece Warm and Breathable?

Went out on a limb here.... Fleece is hydrophobic but definitely not waterproof. Jeans sound like a nightmare to take a dip in, and wet shoes are a great way to get blisters, and as a runner he would know that and probably avoid it. I could not think of a worse outfit for swimming, and I can't help but think that swimming around a marina in the dark is a great way to get hooked on a dropped line or hit by a passing boat.

The air was 10-12 C (50-53 F) degrees at the time and the water historically overs around 12-13 C (53-55 F) degrees in Dec-Jan
Cold Water: A Temperature Guide – Outdoor Swimming Society

Not saying he couldn't do it, but that sort of weather isn't the kind I would take any risks on equipment and visibility. Considering he lives on his boat, I have to assume he has better running gear on there he could have changed into? MOO

Last edited:
This is such a strange case. Extreme athletes are a unique breed though. A friend's husband is one, he'll think nothing of running 50 miles on a whim.
Yes, if you look up Lucas on ultra running web sites you can see he has completed dozens of long distance trail running events including a seven day 330k trail run in the Italian Alps (twice).

From What we know: "That day, Lucas and I were supposed to spend the afternoon together driving to Sacramento to build a meteor from an all-things meteoroid/meteorite/meteor expert there as a surprise Christmas present from Lucas to me."

Do we know if anything would have been open that day, or if anyone from the area has ever heard of something like this? Maybe he had connections as a scientist.

I feel very strange about this explanation. They fought, went their separate ways, decided to go ahead anyway (seemingly good now) and then she states she felt negative about the energy, asked him to get out of the car (he was upset) and then she drove on to do her Christmas present alone while he walked back to his boat never to be seen by her again (though texts were exchanged/plans made).

As another person posted, I also don't want to be unkind but what a rollercoaster. I'd be pretty heartbroken if I planned a cool gift and the recipient ditched me to do it alone while I walked back home in the cold.

The cold swim doesn't bother me so much. I've known people to do it and I am from a northern, cold weather state. However, if I remember correctly, there was no mention of him having changed clothing at his boat. I don't know that anyone would walk around in soaking wet clothing like jeans, tennis shoes, and fleece. It's highly uncomfortable and at that temperature hypothermia would be a concern.
There was also something mentioned in one of the first posts about him wanting to visit a homeless encampment nearby. So he went for a swim and then visited the encampment in soaking wet clothing in cold weather? I suppose it's not impossible, but in my mind it's improbable.

I hope the neighbor was certain about who got out of the water that day. Also, is the neighbor's estimate of 200 yards accurate? Impulsively swimming 200 yards toward shore is concerning.

If he lived on a boat and there was a homeless encampment nearby, he was probably friends with people there.

It sounds as if this could be a voluntary disappearance with mental health issues in the background (the spat with girlfriend).

HOWEVER, she put him out of the car about 30 miles from his boat (probably more like 38 miles) if I'm understanding her drive toward Sacramento, her pause at a Costco near Solano Drive.

So...earlier that day, he had...walked? Run? Hitchhiked? back to Emeryville and taken a midnight boat trip into the Bay (must have been beautiful) only to jump from the boat just before it docked (it wouldn't have gone to shore - it would have gone to its boat slip, IMO).

Since the boat owner is a "neighbor," I am assuming the slip was near to Lucas's.

This is such a strange story.

ETA: He looks very different in each of his photos. I don't get why he was changing his name to Savage when his fiancée's last name is Fischer. He's known for silliness. The onesie search is, frankly, very odd - but I guess they think he might be along a trail somewhere or that one purpose is just putting up posters.

He's been gone a week...

HOWEVER, she put him out of the car about 30 miles from his boat (probably more like 38 miles) if I'm understanding her drive toward Sacramento, her pause at a Costco near Solano Drive.

The whole post doesn't sit well with me. They fought, she sent him home, and she thought the best time to propose was the next time she saw him, in front of her ex-husband and his au pair?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back