CA - Madalyn "Maddie" Slater, 1, murdered, thrown off cliff, Palm Desert, 7 May 2020 *dad arrested*

Were he and Madalyn's mom in a fight?
Was this an act of revenge?
I mean, wth?

I reckon this was an extension of what we sometimes call road rage. That's always my first thought when people with kids in the car drive off cliffs or do similar things. It's very trying to travel with a one year old. I don't know if they were "fighting" because usually the raging driver uses up all the oxygen inside the car and the other adult(s) are petrified with fear and trying to mollify.

These are people for whom everything they do wrong...is always someone else's fault. This man is without any impulse control; he is severely disturbed; he's never been held responsible for consequences (sufficiently). Ought not to have been out of jail at all, IMO.

So due to his own recklessness, he rolled the SUV and then blamed the baby and her mother (presumably his girlfriend). I feel so badly for that heroic Good Samaritan. That person confronted a completely deranged non-person. This guy may have human DNA, but he's not a person in the philosophical sense, which is my own opinion.

IMO. The baby was probably fussing or crying, mom was probably wanting to stop the car, he was already driving too fast and could not handle being told what to do, whatsoever. Typical abuser/controller/sociopath IMO.

I reckon this was an extension of what we sometimes call road rage. That's always my first thought when people with kids in the car drive off cliffs or do similar things. It's very trying to travel with a one year old. I don't know if they were "fighting" because usually the raging driver uses up all the oxygen inside the car and the other adult(s) are petrified with fear and trying to mollify.

These are people for whom everything they do wrong...is always someone else's fault. This man is without any impulse control; he is severely disturbed; he's never been held responsible for consequences (sufficiently). Ought not to have been out of jail at all, IMO.

So due to his own recklessness, he rolled the SUV and then blamed the baby and her mother (presumably his girlfriend). I feel so badly for that heroic Good Samaritan. That person confronted a completely deranged non-person. This guy may have human DNA, but he's not a person in the philosophical sense, which is my own opinion.

IMO. The baby was probably fussing or crying, mom was probably wanting to stop the car, he was already driving too fast and could not handle being told what to do, whatsoever. Typical abuser/controller/sociopath IMO.

I think you are confused with another case - he did NOT roll the SUV - he stabbed the mother & threw Maddie over a cliff... at least that is what I have in my notes. Is there an article with him rolling the SUV? If so, I must have missed it.

I think you are confused with another case - he did NOT roll the SUV - he stabbed the mother & threw Maddie over a cliff... at least that is what I have in my notes. Is there an article with him rolling the SUV? If so, I must have missed it.

These are the circumstances:

It began in Southwest Church's parking lot along Fred Waring Drive in Indian Wells when he and a woman got involved in a domestic violence dispute, according to the Riverside County Sheriff's Department.

Hall described the woman as Slater’s estranged wife, who met him during a child custody exchange that morning.

Slater is accused of stabbing the woman before fleeing with the child. Thirty minutes later, investigators said, Slater's car went off Highway 74 and overturned before coming to a stop hundreds of feet from the road.

A bystander, described as a man in his 30s, freed the girl from the car before Slater stabbed him and took off with the victim. Afterward, "multiple witnesses saw the suspect take the child and throw her over a steep cliff into a ravine," according to the sheriff's department.

These are the circumstances:

It began in Southwest Church's parking lot along Fred Waring Drive in Indian Wells when he and a woman got involved in a domestic violence dispute, according to the Riverside County Sheriff's Department.

Hall described the woman as Slater’s estranged wife, who met him during a child custody exchange that morning.

Slater is accused of stabbing the woman before fleeing with the child. Thirty minutes later, investigators said, Slater's car went off Highway 74 and overturned before coming to a stop hundreds of feet from the road.

A bystander, described as a man in his 30s, freed the girl from the car before Slater stabbed him and took off with the victim. Afterward, "multiple witnesses saw the suspect take the child and throw her over a steep cliff into a ravine," according to the sheriff's department.

Thank you! Much appreciated - will change my notes.

Monday, August 7th:
*Trial Readiness Conference Hearing (@ 8:30am PT) – CA – Madalyn (Maddie) Payton Slater (1) (thrown off steep cliff into ravine, May 6, 2020, Palm Desert, Coachella Valley) - *Adam Slater (49/now 52) “father” arrested (5/7/20) , charged (5/8/20), recharged (5/11/20) & arraigned (5/12/20) with 1st degree murder, 2nd degree murder, 1st degree attempted murder, child custody kidnapping, assault on a child under 8 years old resulting in death, assault with a deadly weapon, obstruction, resisting arrest & prior felony conviction. Plead not guilty. $1M bond. Held (5/12/20) with no bond.
Allegedly tossed his 1 year old daughter off a “steep cliff” to her death after he stabbed the child’s mom before fleeing with the child. Thirty minutes later, investigators said, Slater's car went off Highway 74 & overturned before coming to a stop hundreds of feet from the road & then stabbed a bystander who tried to help.
Court hearing from 5/8/20 thru 11/7/22 reference post #96 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-desert-7-may-2020-dad-arrested.521060/page-5

1/4/23 Update: Next trial readiness hearing on 3/7/23. 3/7/23 Update: Next trial readiness conference hearing on 8/7/23 @ 8:30am.

@Mica - might be a bit early in asking - but is there a next hearing date yet? TIA! :)

Monday, November 13th:
*Trial Readiness Conference Hearing (@ 8:30am PT) – CA – Madalyn (Maddie) Payton Slater (1) (thrown off steep cliff into ravine, May 6, 2020, Palm Desert, Coachella Valley) - *Adam Slater (49/now 52) “father” arrested (5/7/20) , charged (5/8/20), recharged (5/11/20) & arraigned (5/12/20) with 1st degree murder, 2nd degree murder, 1st degree attempted murder, child custody kidnapping, assault on a child under 8 years old resulting in death, assault with a deadly weapon, obstruction, resisting arrest & prior felony conviction. Plead not guilty. $1M bond. Held (5/12/20) with no bond.
Allegedly tossed his 1 year old daughter off a “steep cliff” to her death after he stabbed the child’s mom before fleeing with the child. Thirty minutes later, investigators said, Slater's car went off Highway 74 & overturned before coming to a stop hundreds of feet from the road & then stabbed a bystander who tried to help.
Court hearing from 5/8/20 thru 11/7/22 reference post #96 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-desert-7-may-2020-dad-arrested.521060/page-5

1/4/23 Update: Next trial readiness hearing on 3/7/23. 3/7/23 Update: Next trial readiness conference hearing on 8/7/23 @ 8:30am. 8/7/23 Update: Next Trial readiness conference hearing on 11/13/23.

You're right, confused it with another case. We need a term for when people suddenly go psycho on their own children. Domestic rage, I guess.

You're right, confused it with another case. We need a term for when people suddenly go psycho on their own children. Domestic rage, I guess.

This is horrible!! From the article :

To the surprise of both, Slater allegedly attacked Mahfet while attempting to stab the child in his arms.

I think he was angry at the baby momma - hence stabbing her. Then, the whole, if I can't have her no-one can with the child (maybe even thought he would kill himself with the whole driving off the road at high speed). The poor good samaritan! I do think he was/is a totally deranged monster!

from jail site:

ext Court Date/ Time Court Name Release Date
02/08/2024 08:30 Indio Larson Justice Center

link: Inmate Information System

@Mica - if I can bother you for what this hearing is called? TIA! :)

Thursday, February 8th:
Court hearing from 5/8/20 thru 3/7/23 reference post #104 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-desert-7-may-2020-dad-arrested.521060/page-6

8/7/23 Update: Next Trial readiness conference hearing on 11/13/23. 11/13/23 Update: Trial readiness conference hearing was reset on 2/8/24 @ 8:30am.

from jail site:

Next Court Date/ Time Court Name Release Date
05/17/2024 08:30 Indio Larson Justice Center

link: http://jimspub.riversidesheriff.org/cgi-bin/iisinfo.acu?bkno=202014996P

and @Mica - if you could tell me "what" this hearing is? TIA!
 Girl Waving Hello Smiley

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therealdrreid
Back