CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you find that? And what time did it happen?

I found the information on crimemapping.com. Unfortunately it only lets me search for incidents since the end of December last year which means it only shows location of the homicide victim dropped in the ditch close to the Hindu Tempel and the car that was shot at in the intersection on Monday before the tent shooting. I wish I was able to see more dates to see the exact location of the other incidents (biologist in hammock and couple in car) . I attached the screenshot of the crimemapping locations. Note how close the intersection car incident was at the same time of day (4:20am) on the Monday before to the campsite. (Red hand symbol for assault with gun) The H symbol shows the location where the homicide victim was found in the ditch (probably unrelated but just for good measure) and the campsite is between the orange dot (park entrance) and the H symbol kind of to the left of the main road. (The circle area) I could probably try to overlay the circle map area with the campsite spots map someone posted earlier to determine the exact location of their tents.

I also included screenshot of elevation. It seems to me that if the shot came from outsite the tent then it would have to be from an elevated spot around the campsite (sniper?) The screenshot shows two close areas that are above 600 feet. One looks like it is in a wooded area, probably a hill right to the right of the campsite and one that is a little higher up just lower down. Not sure whether shots from those spots would be feasible at all..I will leave that to the experts.

Attachments

• CrimeMapping.JPG
    CrimeMapping.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 35
  • CampsiteElevation.JPG
    CampsiteElevation.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Okay. Zone A is the area hunting zone that Malibu Creek State Park would fall under.but the closest actual areas for hunting within that Zone appear to be in Ventura county.

file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/public-room-california-deer-hunting-zones-map.pdf

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=83561&inline

Nearby zone D-11 has hunting areas:
Google Image Result for http://www.huntfortruth.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/California-Condor-Ranges.bmp

D-13 has the Los Angeles Padres national forest and hunting is allowed there: https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=83603&inline

There are private lands where people can hunt deer. None are in zone A in LA County or in nearby D-11: https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=95078&inline

Fowl hunt areas are not nearby: Southern CA / Colorada River Wildlife Areas, Refuges, Ecological Reserves - Google My Maps

The closest place I can find for legal hunting within D-11 is the Angeles National Forest or D-13 in Ventura county:

Google Maps

Malibu Creek State Park is part of the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area. It is not legal to hunt there:

Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area - Wikipedia

Hunting in the National Recreation Area - Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

D-11 is not good hunting:
Hunting in a forbidding zone

The closest is really only the Angeles National Forest and the Cleveland national Forest (where I hike a lot):
"There’s plenty of public land but state game refuges and national, state, and city parks are closed to hunting."
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=23228&inline

Poaching seems non-existent in the area, at least form 2007 through 2012: http://www.humanesociety.org/assets/pdfs/wildlife/dfg_poaching_incident_reports.pdf

Until LE gives more answers then anything can be fair game...we are entitled to our own opinions and with all the cases we have seen these days, if someone wants another killed then they can do all the planning they want too. JMO

True.
I found a certain poster was kind of picking on gitana1. I think that is where those comments were directed toward.

My thoughts were it's not random/stray bullets that hit that tent twice by accident. IMO it's possible the first shot was to get him to sit/stand up and/or to get him to turn on a flashlight/lantern for better visibility. Possibly like others have said by serial shooter in the area or targeted for some other reason we don't know about. His brothers statement in one of the news pieces was he believed it was horizontal shots, so with that in mind it could have been shot further away. Those other shootings could be escalation events leading to this event as others have stated. I'm sceptical of the early reports by LE to where they were saying they aren't related (unless I missed new info because I haven't read back yet). Sorry in advance if I did miss anything new yet. This is one weird, scary situation, and I'm including all the other shootings in that statement. Those poor girls! Just awful for them and his family and loved ones.
I agree. I can sort of understand why LE didn’t connect the previous shootings, with the differences in ammo but with there now being a death, I am definitely thinking escalating behavior. I hope they are interviewing the previous shooting victims again. If it is a serial shooter, he’s went from missing, to hurting, to murder. I’m scared to see what could be next.

I don’t believe there was multiple gunshots,” says Winter. Beaudette was pronounced at 5:21 a.m. Winter said his autopsy has not been completed but that a full report would be available once transcribed.

Beaudette was killed in front of the girls, who were not physically injured.

Calif. Father Killed in Front of Daughters While Camping Was Shot in the Head: Coroner

The first quote is good info!

Whoa! Single gunshot to head. Either he was awoken by random gunfire and sat up, or this was intentional, maybe a hit. Someone mentioned early in Facebook comment to one of the initial stories that they heard it looked professional. But I didn't give that comment any merit since press said shot in torso. And behavior of family doesn't appear to show fear. Hopefully they catch the person quickly so the family can have some measure of peace.

I haven't been feeling poaching for the reason I said, that you'd want to retrieve your kill. But for the clueless among us (me) I think it's worth discussion of everything if only to understand why some things can be ruled out?

The idea would be that the poacher saw (or thought they saw) a target deer, shot without checking what was behind the deer, and missed the deer but the wild shot (or shots) hit the tent.

That would be a lot more likely if the death bullet came from a rifle; the bullet could have carried quite a distance beyond the intended target and the poacher could conceivably have been far enough away to not even know he hit somebody.

I'm not wedded to this theory, but based on what's been released so far, I don't see anything to rule it out.

According to this article there are 3 additional shootings in the area, not including the woman sleeping in her car or the bird shot victim. So that would total 6 including tb. Father killed at Malibu campground was shot in head, coroner says
From the link:

Since the slaying, information has emerged that at least five other shootings have occurred in the area in the last two years, outraging some neighbors who complained they had not been notified of the attacks by the sheriff’s department.

Nicole Nishida, a sheriff’s department spokeswoman, said three other shootings occurred in the last year “nearby within the sheriff’s jurisdiction.” Nishida said the shootings happened June 6, 2017; July 22, 2017; and June 18, 2018.​

TB wrote some great research papers and perhaps not everyone enjoyed reading it. Pharmaceuticals equals money. His home probably had a security system and his business probably had their security guards... A campground with no security is an ideal place for a hit. JMO

The idea would be that the poacher saw (or thought they saw) a target deer, shot without checking what was behind the deer, and missed the deer but the wild shot (or shots) hit the tent.

That would be a lot more likely if the death bullet came from a rifle; the bullet could have carried quite a distance beyond the intended target and the poacher could conceivably have been far enough away to not even know he hit somebody.

I'm not wedded to this theory, but based on what's been released so far, I don't see anything to rule it out.

They don’t even have to be hunting anything. They may be out there irresponsibly shooting at smaller targets and killing people with their stray bullets. For all we know it could be a group of naive teens out of school for the summer. Maybe there’s a popular spot they go to to illegally go target shooting.

Wait- re-reading that quote from the Coroner, " I don't believe there were multiple gunshots". If he was quoted correctly and a recent quote, that CAN'T mean gunshot wounds. Coroner would have xrayed or MRId the body an already known how many gunshot wounds. Perhaps there is more info he knows via LE about hearing one shot only?

They don’t even have to be hunting anything. They may be out there irresponsibly shooting at smaller targets and killing people with their stray bullets. For all we know it could be a group of naive teens.

Could be, though at 4:45 in the morning that seems somewhat unlikely, unless they're heading home after a party.

Wait- re-reading that quote from the Coroner, " I don't believe there were multiple gunshots". If he was quoted correctly and a recent quote, that CAN'T mean gunshot wounds. Coroner would have xrayed or MRId the body an already known how many gunshot wounds. Perhaps there is more info he knows via LE about hearing one shot only?

He has x-rayed and whatever. The article says the autopsy has been done, it's just being transcribed before release.

"Winter said further details of the medical examiner’s findings would be available once a full medical report is transcribed." Father killed at Malibu campground was shot in head, coroner says

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz