CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wire154a

Former Member
Reaction score
Man fatally shot at Malibu Creek State Park campground identified - L.A. Times

Father Shot While Camping At Malibu Creek State Park Identified - CBS L.A.

The father of two young girls fatally shot while camping early Friday morning in Malibu Creek State Park has been identified as 35-year-old Tristan Beaudette of Irvine.

Deputies said they have no leads, no suspect and no motive.

Beaudette leaves behind his wife, Erica, and two young daughters, aged 2 and 4.

Friend said Beaudette took the girls camping so that Erica could study for a big test she was studying for.

Beaudette’s friends and family told KCAL9’s Cristy Fajardo that Tristan had a resume everyone would envy.
--
But it was his children who were his greatest pride and joy.

That’s just one more reason his shooting death, with his toddlers nearby, is so devastating and puzzling.

Officials said they found Beaudette bleeding in his tent.

People come [here] for scenery, peace, tranquility. The fatal shooting has everyone, including fellow campers, shocked.

“It’s pretty secluded,” said one woman, “it’s pretty spread out. It’s pretty quiet. I wouldn’t expect something like this to happen.”
--​

Daily Mail
Pharmaceutical executive and Berkeley grad father is shot and killed on a camping trip when a bullet hit him while he was in a tent with his daughters, aged 2 and 4
  • Tristan Beaudette, 35, died on Friday when he was shot at a campsite in Malibu Creek State Park in Calabasas, California
  • Police found him bleeding in his tent but he was pronounced dead at the scene
  • The pharmaceutical executive had taken his two daughters, aged two and four, away so his wife could study for an exam
  • Police said they were called to the campground following a 911 report of shots being fired at about 4.45am
  • His daughters were not injured in the shooting
  • Police are treating his death as a homicide but so far have no motive or suspect

I heard his wife was studying for her physician board exams so he took the kiddies camping.

I wonder if it was a hit or hunting accident or a stray bullet from a drunk camper shooting from a far distance.

Or he got into it with another camper and they shot him and left. Idk. Hopefully the 4year old can provide info about what happened to dad.

Not sure about a hunter. State law:

LOADED FIREARMS AND HUNTING are not allowed in units of the State Parks System. Possession of loaded firearms or air rifles is prohibited. Exceptions are for hunting in recreation areas that have been designated by the State Park and Recreation Commission.
Rules and Regulations Summary

I think drunk and/or angry camper seems more likely than a hunter. If someone was there specifically to shoot Tristan why fire into the tent and risk missing him or shooting one of the children?

Not sure about a hunter. State law:

LOADED FIREARMS AND HUNTING are not allowed in units of the State Parks System. Possession of loaded firearms or air rifles is prohibited. Exceptions are for hunting in recreation areas that have been designated by the State Park and Recreation Commission.
Rules and Regulations Summary

I think drunk and/or angry camper seems more likely than a hunter. If someone was there specifically to shoot Tristan why fire into the tent and risk missing him or shooting one of the children?
I agree totally Blues. Im glad you're still rocking and rolling. This case is definitely strange.

Deputies responded to a call about shots fired around 4:44 a.m. on Friday, the lieutenant added.

While the victim was pronounced dead at the scene, officers found the girls without any injuries, Moore said.

Park Superintendent Tony Hoffman said the incident occurred in an area of the Calabasas park that had about 63 campsites. He said the other sites were likely occupied when the shooting happened.

From KTLA:
Father Fatally Shot While Camping With Daughters at Malibu Creek State Park ID’d

I wonder if he was lying down (asleep) or standing up (maybe roused by an intruder, noise, commotion).

Good question. I just assumed he was asleep but if someone wanted to shoot him and only him that would be the way to do it. (Personally when I hear a noise outside the tent I lie still and quiet!)

Very strange.

Could have been accidental I suppose.

Nothing reported on the night before this happened, such as his speaking with any other campers?

More information would be helpful at this point.

This is just so painful to read. I do not see how this could’ve been an accident. How heartless can someone be? Those poor children. I pray whoever did this is caught. What a terrible tragedy...

ETA: I actually hope this wasn't an accident. For the kids sake that would probably be much much worse! Ugh... Don't know what to think.

Last edited:
I suppose it would have been mentioned in the report/article, if Dad brought a gun to the campsite, so this is a far-fetched but not entirely impossible scenario:

What if the gun belonged to "Dad" and one of the kids somehow got possession of it? Or a similar scenario played out in a nearby campsite: there was an accidental discharge and the adult(s) are covering it up?

And, I was thinking that the phrase "shots fired" doesn't necessarily mean more than one shot was actually heard/reported. I think that using the plural is more of a "catch all" phrase that dispatchers use in this kind of situation. IME and IMO.

I suppose it would have been mentioned in the report/article, if Dad brought a gun to the campsite, so this is a far-fetched but not entirely impossible scenario:

What if the gun belonged to "Dad" and one of the kids somehow got possession of it? Or a similar scenario played out in a nearby campsite: there was an accidental discharge and the adult(s) are covering it up?

And, I was thinking that the phrase "shots fired" doesn't necessarily mean more than one shot was actually heard/reported. I think that using the plural is more of a "catch all" phrase that dispatchers use in this kind of situation. IME and IMO.

your post reminds me that the simplest explanation usually applies. I've heard family members were there and taken to be interviewed. Then I read it was just the girls. Was the tent door opened? There are around 63 campsites there. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. Eta, any bullet holes in his tent?

your post reminds me that the simplest explanation usually applies. I've heard family members were there and taken to be interviewed. Then I read it was just the girls. Was the tent door opened? There are around 63 campsites there. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

LE sure seems to be playing this one close to the vest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks