CA CA - Malibu John Doe, 20-30, UP15043, found with swiss francs in his pockets, Jan'86

Was it tied or tangled? Sea debris? Self asphyxiated? Curious.
Here's how it's stated : "Tied around the neck quite tightly up under the chin above the Adam's apple is a double wrap of cloth, cotton-like grey with vertical black and light red stripes which is attached through the handles of a plastic shopping bag like device. The bag is approx 13.5 to 15 inches, the bottom half has been eroded or chipped open. The material itself appears to have been taken from something like a sports shirt or some such device"

AND

"on the side of the left sock is a band of cloth, blue with white and red stripes which has been tied in granny knots, forming a loop approximately 7-8 inches in diameter"

I've just read through the thread again and see more information has been provided due to the release of the autopsy report. I previously mentioned in earlier posts I thought he may have been a crewmember on a merchant ship. And that he carried his money on his person rather than leaving it in his cabin to avoid theft.

I agree with the poster who said we were overthinking the circumstances of his demise. I still believe in Occam's Razor. I think he was on a ship and either fell off, was pushed off or jumped off.

It was a toss up to me whether he fell or jumped but now I'm in the jumped category because of what he had around his neck. I think he had a plastic bag with items in it that were important to him, like maybe a passport or some form of ID and maybe a change of clothing in that plastic bag. Since he couldn't put the handles around his neck he fashioned a necktie out of some fabric to keep it on his body so he wouldn't have to hang on to it while he swam to shore. He may have underestimated the water temperature and died of hypothermia which resulted in drowning.

I reread his clothing and he wore what sounded like a waxed jacket. I have a waxed jacket, a Barbour, it has a corduroy collar, a plaid lining and the body is waxed cotton. They are very popular among farmers and people who work outside where it's damp like longshoremen and boaters. A wool sweater and a waxed jacket keeps you warm and dry.

I was looking up shipping companies and found to my surprise that MSC which most people know as a holiday cruise company started out as a shipping/cargo company and still operates huge ships like the Ever Given loaded up with containers. They are a Swiss Italian company who initially plied their trade through the Mediterranean and the Indian Ocean. They expanded operations to the Pacific in the 80s. Being a Swiss company that bought out an Italian company I wonder if they paid their employees with Swiss francs? MSC headquarters are in Geneva but operate out of ports worldwide including Portugal. Los Angeles is one of the ports they dock at.

I don't think we discussed his ethnicity other than he was quite hirsute with dark hair and heavy eyebrows. He may have been Italian or Portuguese. A strange thing I found when searching was a blog about Portuguese immigrants that arrived in Marin County CA back in the late 1800s. There still is a huge community of them in the county. I just found that odd that he was found in Malibu which is quite a distance from Marin County. Here's the link if anyone is interested.

The Azorean Portuguese of Southern Marin

Here's the MSC link
Mediterranean Shipping Company - Wikipedia

Hey, sorry for replying late, I missed parts of the thread, including your VERY interesting post.

I wouldn't support the jumping thesis because of his full clothing and shoes but still, it's a possibility.

But what you just mentionned about MSC and the Azorean Portuguese community in Southern Marin is so interesting, I will dig further in both directions. Thank you.

And again, I would like to thank the websleuths community for all the help and efforts made to crack the case here.

Hi Jella, did you ever find out more? Or the journalist?

I'm still pondering on his race/ethnicity, stated as: other in his NamUs file.

Measuring Racial and Ethnic Diversity for the 2020 Census

For race, the U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) standards identify five minimum categories:
  • White
  • Black or African American
  • American Indian or Alaska Native
  • Asian
  • Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander
They use a sixth category, Some Other Race, for people who do not identify with any of the OMB race categories.

So he is non of the above named races.

For race, the U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) standards identify five minimum categories:
  • White
  • Asian
They use a sixth category, Some Other Race, for people who do not identify with any of the OMB race categories.

I can see a whole lot of problems in finding missings when you're looking for a Thai and Black girl and the locals only listed her as Black but she doesn't look black and the agency that found her listed the UID as Asian.

I can see a whole lot of problems in finding missings when you're looking for a Thai and Black girl and the locals only listed her as Black but she doesn't look black and the agency that found her listed the UID as Asian.

Off course I totally agree on this. We see this happen all the time. I would put 'unsure' in the file, for not ruling someone in or out. Using the word 'other', sounds like there could be more to it. But maybe it's just semantics.

• White
  • Asian

Hey ! Sorry, I'm sorry I didn't see you wrote a couple of weeks ago and I'm just reading it now.

We haven't been able to get the police files, which are central in our researches.

Malibu John Doe clearly seems to be white, he could have some mediterranean roots but I'm pretty sure he looks white. It's been stated on the autopsy report too.

Which means that some things are not reported on Namus, such as cause of death or skin color. I don't know why those elements are missing.

I just interviewed the chief of Medical Examiner Office of my area here in Switzerland. She said the autopsy was full of missing informations and that the pictures didn't really help determine more elements. She mentionned he might have committed suicide and that the bag around the neck could suggest that ; as well as the fact that he shows very little or no signs of external trauma and that his tox is clear. She also said he spent more than 2 days in the water. "More like a week or so (...) "Therefore, actual drowning signs get harder and harder to determine".

Hey ! Sorry, I'm sorry I didn't see you wrote a couple of weeks ago and I'm just reading it now.

We haven't been able to get the police files, which are central in our researches.

Malibu John Doe clearly seems to be white, he could have some mediterranean roots but I'm pretty sure he looks white. It's been stated on the autopsy report too.

Which means that some things are not reported on Namus, such as cause of death or skin color. I don't know why those elements are missing.

I just interviewed the chief of Medical Examiner Office of my area here in Switzerland. She said the autopsy was full of missing informations and that the pictures didn't really help determine more elements. She mentionned he might have committed suicide and that the bag around the neck could suggest that ; as well as the fact that he shows very little or no signs of external trauma and that his tox is clear. She also said he spent more than 2 days in the water. "More like a week or so (...) "Therefore, actual drowning signs get harder and harder to determine".

No need to say sorry at all. We all have a life besides WS :) Interesting comments from the Medical Examiner Office. Also good to have another pro looking at the autopsy rapport. The suicide angle is good to explore. How could he, technically, speaking have done that. Walking into the sea just like that....It's possible but not very likely. Jumping from something. The pier is coming up again.

Hello, I have being in touch with Ventura MEO and today they told me that they decided to upload some more photos on John Doe's Namus Profile. We now know how much swiss money he was carrying with him, which is circa 4'500 swiss francs, which is still quite an amount today. Edit : It seems that he also has swiss coins and this would indicate he didn't use the swiss money as a "safe investment". You can only get swiss coins in Switzerland.
Some of his clothing are shown too. I think he bought the shoes the day he died or very little prior because they are brand new. Soles have almost no wear. What do you folks think about those new released elements ?

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
(beware postmortem)

Last edited:
Hello, I have being in touch with Ventura MEO and today they told me that they decided to upload some more photos on John Doe's Namus Profile. We now know how much swiss money he was carrying with him, which is circa 4'500 swiss francs, which is still quite an amount today. Some of his clothing are shown too. I think he bought the shoes the day he died or very little prior because they are brand new. Soles have almost no wear. What do you folks think about those new released elements ?

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
(beware postmortem)

Great! I'm going to take a look tomorrow....not to fit now...

Thank you for the link/update. That is a lot of money. He was either relocating, on a gap year tour, or drug smuggling. The money on his body, was obviously separate from pocket money? He didn't have a wallet or passport.

KEVIN ALPHONSUS O CONNOR
Dates are pretty close. Is this when he was overdue to return from a trip?

View Yellow Notices

CLIVE ANTHONY NORRIS

View Yellow Notices

Years are off:

View Yellow Notices

View Yellow Notices

Thank you for the link/update. That is a lot of money. He was either relocating, on a gap year tour, or drug smuggling. The money on his body, was obviously separate from pocket money? He didn't have a wallet or passport.

KEVIN ALPHONSUS O CONNOR
Dates are pretty close. Is this when he was overdue to return from a trip?

View Yellow Notices

CLIVE ANTHONY NORRIS

View Yellow Notices

Years are off:

View Yellow Notices

View Yellow Notices

Years are off for the last person and Kevin o'Connor, as John Doe was found on the 2nd of january 1986 and that his death occured before new year. He clearly has spent more than a day in the water, at least that's what I've been told from several medical examiners.

It is a lot of money indeed (but we're not talking millions either, the value of his pouch was maybe 3000-3500$) that could be used as you say, to relocate, but also to tour the world when you're young and that you have saved money. I wouldn't assume the money was dirty money . It was in a small pouch, not a wallet or an attaché-case, he has the ways and manners to travel of a young swiss citizen. The fact that he is carrying small currencies such as swiss coins mean he was in Switzerland before travelling to the US. You don't find coins anywhere else. Clive Anthony Norris could be a match : they look alike and also Clive disappeared from Chamonix which is extremely close to Switzerland, but there is one thing that bothers me : Clive had an appendix scar and John Doe doesn't, it's not mentionned on the autopsy report. But I will look into his files anyways. Thank you !

Are there other rule outs than Jean Python? I don't see any on Namus. This can be my fault, in that case: sorry!

Possibilities from Europe (because a few of you guys suggested he may be from outside the US):

PATRICE DENIS:
1318DMFRA - Patrice Denis

SIMON ARMLEY
1147DMUK - Simon Armley

ANTONIO FERNANDEZ RIO
4167DMESP - Antonio Fernandez Rio

MARK DOWLING
1140DMIRL - Mark Dowling

NEIL PHILIPS
3895DMUK - Neil Philips

ROBERTO MARTIN LARTUNDO
2015DMESP - Roberto Martín Lartundo

Thank you. I don't think those profiles match though some of them have similarities, but it's still worth the search.

The only official Rule out is Jean Python.

Wow…amazing work @jellabiafro!
Great that you could get additional photos released from the Ventura County MEO, as well as hearing professional input from your Swiss ME.

I’ve taken a look at both the new and old photos and wanted to throw some thoughts and questions out to the community.
  1. The photos certainly are raw, some taken even as this poor soul was still lying on the beach. We have new (limited) views of his clothed body as he was found, including a close-up of the Heineken logo from the white polo. There are two new photos of the lower body, depicting it clad in the Larri brand jeans and bright white, and possibly brand new Adidas sneakers, laces untied.
  2. Question: In the photo with the shoes, does anyone see any evidence of what was described as……“ on the side of the left sock is a band of cloth, blue with white and red stripes which has been tied in granny knots, forming a loop approximately 7-8 inches in diameter?" I have looked pretty closely, and unless I am mistaking seaweed, I don’t see this band of cloth evident externally to the clothing. I have a theory about this and will tie my thoughts together in closing in my next post, as this one is threatening to be very long.
  3. The newly released photo of the Doe’s upper body in situ on the beach is confusing, and I’m having trouble sorting it out. The photo shows some of the details of the black jacket found on the body; i.e. a bit of red plaid lining visible at the sleeve openings, and many of the brass snaps/studs. Personally, I cannot make out either the jacket front zipper or the corduroy collar. Anyone?
  4. Could the jacket be on the body backwards? LE has censored the photo by placing a black rectangle over the Doe’s face and head, making perspective difficult, and also obscuring where one would expect to see either an open or closed front zipper. The body appears to be in a prone position with both arms raised above the head. There are what appear to be open flaps or pieces of the jacket underneath the raised arms. Even if the front had a double placket with the zipper under snaps, I can’t see this as anything other than the back of the jacket where the front should be. Thoughts?
  5. Does anyone else think the arms are strange? Something inside the sleeves seems to be straining against the fabric and causing them to take a rounded contour instead of angular. Could it be fabric from the shirts or jacket lining bunching up? It’s almost as if the arms show a pronounced bloat that does not seem as evident elsewhere in the body. For example, the abdomen is markedly flat with normal coloration (see in photo “Other- velvet like money pouch”). Decomp usually arrives with green tinged skin indicated gas accumulation, but I don’t see that here. What other thoughts on this?
  6. Last observation about this new photo: a small section of the white plastic shopping bag appears visible just above and to the left of the blacked-out rectangle. It is a brighter white and smoother texture compared to the visible shirt fabric.
  7. Moving on to the photos labeled “at autopsy.” Two were released in 2016 for facial id purposes, and we have a new close-up of the face recently added. All three show the body on a metal table presumably as the clothing is being removed and sand and debris washed away. General question, and apologies that it’s not wholly specific to this case, but what is with all those metal bars? I can fathom the rationale of the one under the neck maybe supporting it, but what is the purpose of that rebar-looking one shown at a diagonal under the back of the head? Is it an autopsy tool? Off topic question, sorry, but I’m curious.
  8. The first (old) autopsy shows the right side of the Doe’s head atop, and the face against a wrinkled mass of bright white material. Sharper minds up-thread identified this as the plastic shopping bag described as: "Tied around the neck quite tightly up under the chin above the Adam's apple is a double wrap of cloth, cotton-like grey with vertical black and light red stripes which is attached through the handles of a plastic shopping bag like device. The bag is approx 13.5 to 15 inches, the bottom half has been eroded or chipped open. The material itself appears to have been taken from something like a sports shirt or some such device"
  9. Trying to see in any of the autopsy photos any bit of the cloth around the decedent’s neck, or tied to the bag handles is difficult. The bag handles are bunched together at chin level in the first photo. There is something threaded through them, and possibly something in the shadows under the chin in this photo. Possibly only strands of the ubiquitous seaweed, possibly it is the cloth, possibly both. Question: wouldn’t a cloth band applied “quite tightly” around the neck antemortem leave some kind of a mark? A crease or abrasion? What about if it was tightened around the neck postmortem? Leave a mark then or not?
  10. Regarding skin slippage and decomposition visible on the Doe (strictly from a layperson’s point of view). Is it possible that the body was only partially submerged after death? Picture the decedent lying prone on the sand with arms extended over his head. The body is situated at or just above the high water mark, with head seaward, and the lower portion of the body pointing towards land. The wave action with the tides would be enough to keep his hands, arms, and top half of his head consistently wet, and the rest of his head and body relatively drier. In my opinion, the difference in the amount of saturation to the skin can be seen in the photos. The arms have the most seawater exposure, and the result is the evident macération of the skin visible on the hands, and possibly causing swelling of the arms inside the sleeves. In the autopsy photos the top part of the Doe’s head and face appear to show more decomposition changes than the lower portion. There is scalp slippage evident in two of the photos, as well as significant swelling of the eyelids with complete loss of lashes. Comparatively, the skin of lips are not shown to be swollen, or even to have changed color. I wonder if this could mean that the skin of the lower face and the remainder of the body were not in a position to be continually saturated for the majority of time after death?

I will stop for now knowing that rambling about positioning doesn’t help solve the immediate question about this man’s identity.

But, I promise that I still do have a point to make and am searching for supporting details in the photos.

Instead of wearing everyone out now (myself included) with additional minutiae, I plan to finish up my thoughts and tie things together in an upcoming post. Thanks everyone for reading through and for any feedback!

Years are off for the last person and Kevin o'Connor, as John Doe was found on the 2nd of january 1986 and that his death occured before new year. He clearly has spent more than a day in the water, at least that's what I've been told from several medical examiners.

It is a lot of money indeed (but we're not talking millions either, the value of his pouch was maybe 3000-3500$) that could be used as you say, to relocate, but also to tour the world when you're young and that you have saved money. I wouldn't assume the money was dirty money . It was in a small pouch, not a wallet or an attaché-case, he has the ways and manners to travel of a young swiss citizen. The fact that he is carrying small currencies such as swiss coins mean he was in Switzerland before travelling to the US. You don't find coins anywhere else. Clive Anthony Norris could be a match : they look alike and also Clive disappeared from Chamonix which is extremely close to Switzerland, but there is one thing that bothers me : Clive had an appendix scar and John Doe doesn't, it's not mentionned on the autopsy report. But I will look into his files anyways. Thank you !

BBM. Yes, the last ones the years were off. I noted that on my post. However, O'Connor was reported missing January 12th, 1986. UID was found January 2nd, 1986. Keep in mind, during the 1980s, there wasn't internet, email, or texting. You would travel, maybe find a phone, though an international call was expensive. You'd send a postcard updating family/friends on your location. By the time they received the letter/post card, you were somewhere else. Mail was overnight, it could take weeks. A missing date within a couple weeks is pretty plausible during that time. Did he not get off his flight from LAX to Europe? Was he supposed to fly the 12th? Hence the date.

USD 4500k during that time was about 12k today. That is a to of money to carry on one's person. The exchange rate of USD/Swiss Franc in 1985 was roughly 2.01-2.70. So he was carrying around 24-25K cash on him. That is a lot of cash for a world tour. That was a bit more than the median household annual income in the USA at the time. AMX checks would have been safer. I am not saying it is "dirty money", just saying drugs were lucrative back then. Respectfully, and IMOO.

Last edited:
Dear @BigKeyManatee , thanx for making such excellent points.

I will answer to your post point by point as you wrote them.

1. I wish we could find better pictures of his outfit. We might, if someone from LE asks for the whole folder. Some pictures probably need some re-touch and censoring, as it's been done for the picture showing John Doe with his jacket on, lying on the beach.

2. I can't find the item that is supposed to be attached to his left sock and I believe it's because it's covered by his jeans, but I can't tell for sure. I would really like to pick your brain regarding this.

3 + 4 +5 . I believe the picture taken on the beach took place at the time of discovery, right after they put him on his back. It is said on the autopsy report that he was found lying face down in the sand, with his arms above his head. I think the currents that pushed him on the shore also flipped his jacket a bit upside down. I am pretty sure that if he had been wearing it backwards it would've been mentionned by the medical examiner. But he is wearing an XL jacket and he has a slim build. Which means the jacket probably had the space to fold and unfold, rolling up in some parts here and there. The bloated aspect of the sleeves is maybe due to the large amount of water and clothings he had underneath. But again, I can't tell for sure.

6+8 The white plastic bag is indeed visible on the picture where John Doe's face has been censored with a black rectangle. It is also visible on the first post-mortem picture released on namus. the piece of cloth that ties the bag around his neck is almost not very visible but we are trying to work the pictures on photoshop to brighten some parts.

7. I believe the piece of metal is an autopsy artefact, probably used for some observations or to maintain the head and skull in place. I will ask one of my contacts to describe it more precisely, because I have no clue if my theory is correct.

9. I need to ask someone about the post/ante mortem wounds but you are raising a very good question indeed. It would also raise a second question that is related to your last point :

10.It's possible that the upper body parts show more decomposition than the lower parts, though it isn't mentionned in the autopsy report.
I heard from a medical examiner that when a person drowns it's usually their face that will show more deterioration due to the natural position of the body in the water, because the head will more likely get hit by rocks, etc. As for the fingers that are visible on the scene picture, I also have been told that at that point of decomposition, the skin extremities can be pulled off because they get detached from the rest of the derm layers. Same thing for the hair. in the autopsy report they say that it is "now easily pulled out", probably due to the abrasion of the sand and the early stage of decomposition. These are the parts that will naturally scatter more easily I believe.

But, if the theory we are raising now is correct in any way : he could've drowned (or been drowned) somewhere else, maybe in freshwater (bathtub?)...( or maybe by suffocation?) and then thrown in the ocean or directly on the beach. I find weird that their is no mention of foam/froth in the body, only "watery fluids".

Now, about the lips and general face condition.. Did the plastic bag cover his face at some point ? Maybe this would impact the face's or lips color ? All this is very puzzling.

Wow…amazing work @jellabiafro!
Great that you could get additional photos released from the Ventura County MEO, as well as hearing professional input from your Swiss ME.

I’ve taken a look at both the new and old photos and wanted to throw some thoughts and questions out to the community.
  1. The photos certainly are raw, some taken even as this poor soul was still lying on the beach. We have new (limited) views of his clothed body as he was found, including a close-up of the Heineken logo from the white polo. There are two new photos of the lower body, depicting it clad in the Larri brand jeans and bright white, and possibly brand new Adidas sneakers, laces untied.
  2. Question: In the photo with the shoes, does anyone see any evidence of what was described as……“ on the side of the left sock is a band of cloth, blue with white and red stripes which has been tied in granny knots, forming a loop approximately 7-8 inches in diameter?" I have looked pretty closely, and unless I am mistaking seaweed, I don’t see this band of cloth evident externally to the clothing. I have a theory about this and will tie my thoughts together in closing in my next post, as this one is threatening to be very long.
  3. The newly released photo of the Doe’s upper body in situ on the beach is confusing, and I’m having trouble sorting it out. The photo shows some of the details of the black jacket found on the body; i.e. a bit of red plaid lining visible at the sleeve openings, and many of the brass snaps/studs. Personally, I cannot make out either the jacket front zipper or the corduroy collar. Anyone?
  4. Could the jacket be on the body backwards? LE has censored the photo by placing a black rectangle over the Doe’s face and head, making perspective difficult, and also obscuring where one would expect to see either an open or closed front zipper. The body appears to be in a prone position with both arms raised above the head. There are what appear to be open flaps or pieces of the jacket underneath the raised arms. Even if the front had a double placket with the zipper under snaps, I can’t see this as anything other than the back of the jacket where the front should be. Thoughts?
  5. Does anyone else think the arms are strange? Something inside the sleeves seems to be straining against the fabric and causing them to take a rounded contour instead of angular. Could it be fabric from the shirts or jacket lining bunching up? It’s almost as if the arms show a pronounced bloat that does not seem as evident elsewhere in the body. For example, the abdomen is markedly flat with normal coloration (see in photo “Other- velvet like money pouch”). Decomp usually arrives with green tinged skin indicated gas accumulation, but I don’t see that here. What other thoughts on this?
  6. Last observation about this new photo: a small section of the white plastic shopping bag appears visible just above and to the left of the blacked-out rectangle. It is a brighter white and smoother texture compared to the visible shirt fabric.
  7. Moving on to the photos labeled “at autopsy.” Two were released in 2016 for facial id purposes, and we have a new close-up of the face recently added. All three show the body on a metal table presumably as the clothing is being removed and sand and debris washed away. General question, and apologies that it’s not wholly specific to this case, but what is with all those metal bars? I can fathom the rationale of the one under the neck maybe supporting it, but what is the purpose of that rebar-looking one shown at a diagonal under the back of the head? Is it an autopsy tool? Off topic question, sorry, but I’m curious.
  8. The first (old) autopsy shows the right side of the Doe’s head atop, and the face against a wrinkled mass of bright white material. Sharper minds up-thread identified this as the plastic shopping bag described as: "Tied around the neck quite tightly up under the chin above the Adam's apple is a double wrap of cloth, cotton-like grey with vertical black and light red stripes which is attached through the handles of a plastic shopping bag like device. The bag is approx 13.5 to 15 inches, the bottom half has been eroded or chipped open. The material itself appears to have been taken from something like a sports shirt or some such device"
  9. Trying to see in any of the autopsy photos any bit of the cloth around the decedent’s neck, or tied to the bag handles is difficult. The bag handles are bunched together at chin level in the first photo. There is something threaded through them, and possibly something in the shadows under the chin in this photo. Possibly only strands of the ubiquitous seaweed, possibly it is the cloth, possibly both. Question: wouldn’t a cloth band applied “quite tightly” around the neck antemortem leave some kind of a mark? A crease or abrasion? What about if it was tightened around the neck postmortem? Leave a mark then or not?
  10. Regarding skin slippage and decomposition visible on the Doe (strictly from a layperson’s point of view). Is it possible that the body was only partially submerged after death? Picture the decedent lying prone on the sand with arms extended over his head. The body is situated at or just above the high water mark, with head seaward, and the lower portion of the body pointing towards land. The wave action with the tides would be enough to keep his hands, arms, and top half of his head consistently wet, and the rest of his head and body relatively drier. In my opinion, the difference in the amount of saturation to the skin can be seen in the photos. The arms have the most seawater exposure, and the result is the evident macération of the skin visible on the hands, and possibly causing swelling of the arms inside the sleeves. In the autopsy photos the top part of the Doe’s head and face appear to show more decomposition changes than the lower portion. There is scalp slippage evident in two of the photos, as well as significant swelling of the eyelids with complete loss of lashes. Comparatively, the skin of lips are not shown to be swollen, or even to have changed color. I wonder if this could mean that the skin of the lower face and the remainder of the body were not in a position to be continually saturated for the majority of time after death?
I look forward to read your next thoughts !

I will stop for now knowing that rambling about positioning doesn’t help solve the immediate question about this man’s identity.

But, I promise that I still do have a point to make and am searching for supporting details in the photos.

Instead of wearing everyone out now (myself included) with additional minutiae, I plan to finish up my thoughts and tie things together in an upcoming post. Thanks everyone for reading through and for any feedback!

The MEO in Ventura has been of a great help to get more details on the case. Our next step is to find someone from LE here in Switzerland who can do the part of the job that we can't and access those files. I think it's very promising. Fingers crossed !

BBM. Yes, the last ones the years were off. I noted that on my post. However, O'Connor was reported missing January 12th, 1986. UID was found January 2nd, 1986. Keep in mind, during the 1980s, there wasn't internet, email, or texting. You would travel, maybe find a phone, though an international call was expensive. You'd send a postcard updating family/friends on your location. By the time they received the letter/post card, you were somewhere else. Mail was overnight, it could take weeks. A missing date within a couple weeks is pretty plausible during that time. Did he not get off his flight from LAX to Europe? Was he supposed to fly the 12th? Hence the date.

USD 4500k during that time was about 12k today. That is a to of money to carry on one's person. The exchange rate of USD/Swiss Franc in 1985 was roughly 2.01-2.70. So he was carrying around 24-25K cash on him. That is a lot of cash for a world tour. That was a bit more than the median household annual income in the USA at the time. AMX checks would have been safer. I am not saying it is "dirty money", just saying drugs were lucrative back then. Respectfully, and IMOO.

About the time gaps, one of the persons you mentionned went missing in late 86 and there's a precise date written, so I'm guessing that would be the actual date of last contact, but I could totally be wrong.

You're right about the money, I should've considered the cost of life back in the days and not only the exchange rate. The Sheriff's office clearly stated they wanted a full drug screen of John Doe because they suspected some dope running. So you might be right. I also have tried to ask Venturans about the general vibe of the area in the 80's and many mentionned drug deals, biker gangs, that kind of stuff.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TysonSF
Back