Found Safe CA - Mary Gomez, 56, hiker from MS, missing in Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Park, 24 Oct 2019

Quill

Reaction score
Last edited:
More detailed info on the Missing Persons Case Network - FB (not sure if we can use as source here).

Also photos The Toyota in the picture is of one like hers

Attachments

• 74425025_468669710659875_6646756310568140800_n.jpg
    74425025_468669710659875_6646756310568140800_n.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 72974021_10157676308754814_5842102829136740352_n.jpg
    72974021_10157676308754814_5842102829136740352_n.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 44
More detailed info on the Missing Persons Case Network - FB (not sure if we can use as source here).

Also photos

Ah thanks so much @zecats ! I haven't started a new thread in years so I was finding myself clumsy at it. Yes, much more info on that fb page!
My sister is a nurse and she had shared this last night. Her sources were travel nurse fb pages, so of course I could not share those.

Ah thanks so much @zecats ! I haven't started a new thread in years so I was finding myself clumsy at it. Yes, much more info on that fb page!
My sister is a nurse and she had shared this last night. Her sources were travel nurse fb pages, so of course I could not share those.
Looks good to me except for the date missing. I believe I read Oct 27.
Also, it appears she is from Jackson MS.

At this point, you need a Mod to fix anything. Just fyi.

Thanks for starting for her though. Hope she is found soon.

Looks good to me except for the date missing. I believe I read Oct 27.
Also, it appears she is from Jackson MS.

At this point, you need a Mod to fix anything. Just fyi.

Thanks for starting for her though. Hope she is found soon.

Okay thanks. Not sure about the 27th though. I just had it across my feed yesterday which would at least have to be the 26th. I got the 24th from the fb you referenced above.

Yes, she is from Jackson, MS.

Okay thanks. Not sure about the 27th though. I just had it across my feed yesterday which would at least have to be the 26th. I got the 24th from the fb you referenced above.

Yes, she is from Jackson, MS.
Yes, you're correct. The article was from the 27th. Her phone last pinged on the 24th, so hard to say when she actually went missing.

Here is family info from the Missing Page. It's important as it gives more specific info and is from family.

"Park rangers are searching for a 56-year-old woman from Mississippi who may have gone missing in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park.

Family members say Mary Joanna Gomez is a traveling nurse who was working in San Francisco. They believe she left Wednesday to visit the national park. Gomez's daughter said she received pictures from her mother of the park on Thursday. Gomez was supposed to return to work in San Francisco Friday night but never showed up.

The roads in those parks can be narrow with steep drop offs and night can bring ice with temperatures low as 23*F(-5*C). The Park Service, Sherriff’s depts, and hospitals in those areas have been called and/or notified.

Her phone last pinged 10/24 at 1:46 near Bear Mountain Rd.

Her car was found unoccupied in the Little Baldy area in the park early Sunday morning."

Missing Persons Cases Network

Last edited:
Yes, you're correct. The article ws from the 27th. Her phone last pinged on the 24th, so hard to say when she actually went missing.

Here is family info from the Missing Page. It's important as it gives more specify info and is from family.

"Park rangers are searching for a 56-year-old woman from Mississippi who may have gone missing in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park.

Family members say Mary Joanna Gomez is a traveling nurse who was working in San Francisco. They believe she left Wednesday to visit the national park. Gomez's daughter said she received pictures from her mother of the park on Thursday. Gomez was supposed to return to work in San Francisco Friday night but never showed up.

The roads in those parks can be narrow with steep drop offs and night can bring ice with temperatures low as 23*F(-5*C). The Park Service, Sherriff’s depts, and hospitals in those areas have been called and/or notified.

Her phone last pinged 10/24 at 1:46 near Bear Mountain Rd.

Her car was found unoccupied in the Little Baldy area in the park early Sunday morning."
Missing Persons Cases Network

BBM
Quoting myself...last part is disturbing. If her car was found then she did not drive off the road. Wonder if she stopped to hike?

I hope she’s found today! The weather was nice in this area up until this morning. We have a cold front coming in which will lower both daytime and nighttime temperatures considerably. No precipitation though so that’s good.

Oh, I hope you're right. I hate to think of her out in colder temps. I wish we knew what she had along with her to prepare. She appears to be a lovely lady and I know her family must be so scared right now. :(

BBM
Quoting myself...last part is disturbing. If her car was found then she did not drive off the road. Wonder if she stopped to hike?

I feel like she must have. Just my opinion, but I have seen a description posted about what she was wearing that day and according to her daughter she was wearing hiking boots, a black puffer jacket and had purple back pack.

Gosh, can anyone find another Bear Mountain Road closer to where her car was found? The one I found is 43 miles away!

Gosh, can anyone find another Bear Mountain Road closer to where her car was found? The one I found is 43 miles away!
That’s pretty normal though as it’s on the way up to the trailhead where her car was found. The last time I was up there two years ago there was no cell phone signal in the area her car was found and there hadn’t been any for about 40 miles.

I found a Bear Mountain Road between Fresno and the national forest. At least it looks like it on a map. Not far outside of Fresno? I am all the way across the country, though, and not familiar at all with the area.

No - same here. Only one turns up on Google is near Redding and Mount Shasta. Little Baldy trailhead is not on Bear Mt Rd either.

I found a Bear Mountain Road between Fresno and the national forest. At least it looks like it on a map. Not far outside of Fresno? I am all the way across the country, though, and not familiar at all with the area.
That’s one of the roads one would take if she got off Highway 99 in Fresno and went that way up to where her car was found. It makes sense if she was coming from the Bay Area which she was.

ETA: She would have taken Hwy 99 to Hwy 180 which in turn becomes Bear Mountain Road once it gets into the foothills.

Last edited:
That’s one of the roads one would take if they got off Highway 99 in Fresno and went that way up to where her car was found. It makes sense if she was coming from the Bay Area which she was.
Ah, makes perfect sense that was where her phone last pinged then. I remember how isolated those roads can be, even before entering the NP's. Twisting and turning all over the place on the way up and down.

I visited both parks some years ago with a girlfriend (she drove) and it took a long time to come back down out of the area. Stunningly beautiful though.

At least they have the location of her car and assuming she hiked the trail there, a place to search.

Ah, makes perfect sense that was where her phone last pinged then. I remember how isolated those roads can be, even before entering the NP's. Twisting and turning all over the place on the way up and down.

I visited both parks some years ago with a girlfriend (she drove) and it took a long time to come back down out of the area. Stunningly beautiful though.

At least they have the location of her car and assuming she hiked the trail there, a place to search.
Exactly! I really hope she is found today. That trail is not very long (1 1/2 hours each way) although can be hard at times. They have a good starting point to search for her today. Praying!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24
Back