CA - Massive fire at Oakland warehouse party, 36 dead, 2 Dec 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
But over the past decade, the 4,000-square-foot structure was better known to city zoning and fire officials as a source of complaints about illegal residential uses, all-night dance parties and general blight.
The complaints came to light Saturday as Oakland officials grappled to answer questions about a blaze that took at least nine lives. The building is zoned as a warehouse, which does not allow for residential uses. Darin Ranelletti, interim director of the city Planning and Building Department, said the warehouse was under investigation to determine whether it was being illegally used for housing. “We had reports that people were living there, but we’re still trying to confirm them,” said Ranelletti, who also said that the party that took place Friday required a permit, which was not obtained.

The most recent complaint of illegal residential occupancy and blight was on Nov. 13, Ranelletti said. Inspectors confirmed that there was garbage in the outside area on the property but were not able to gain entry to the building to confirm that people were living there. An inspector went to the property Nov. 17 to investigate rogue interior construction but was not able to gain entry.
Witnesses described the interior of the building as having an eclectic mix of tapestries, instruments and an ornately carved ceiling. A makeshift staircase fashioned in part out of wooden pallets provided the only connection between the ground floor and a second-story mezzanine.
“It was just a labyrinth of little areas,” said Deputy Fire Chief Mark Hoffmann, explaining that sculptors, painters and other artists had partitioned spaces off for studios.

• square_gallery_thumb.jpg
    Governor Brown, Mayor Schaaf voice grief over deadly Oakland fire

Al Garcia, owner of a business across the street from the warehouse at 31st Avenue and International Boulevard, said he had worried that the live-work space was a fire hazard because of the junk and debris around. The people who lived there, he said, had been trying to clean it up.
The building has been the source of blight complaints. On April 4, 2014, the Planning and Building Department received a complaint that “a large structure had been built at (the) property that had not been strapped down or stable.” No further information is available on the city’s complaint enforcement database, except that the issues had been abated.
In 2008, the city received a complaint of “trash debris and overgrowth” at the site. That, too, was cleaned up, abatedaccording to city records.
The space, which was also known as Satya Yuga, was run by Derick Ion, who lived there with his wife, Micah Allison, and children, who were staying at a hotel during the Friday event. more at link: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Building-of-fatal-fire-was-known-as-The-10689319.php

So they KNEW about it for TEN YEARS. And it was an artist studio. That means that the public went in and viewed the ART at times. I am certain the authorities could have gone inside if they really wanted to. They dragged their feet because they didn't want to displace all of those artists, imo.

They said an inspector went and could not gain entrance. Well FFS, WAIT until you see someone coming or going. There were dozens who lived and worked there. Just sit undercover in a car and wait. A child could figure that out. If there was someone inside that owed the city money, I bet they could figure out how to 'gain access.'

Prayers for you and your family members.

Glad you are able to fly to be closer to your brother who has been affected. Please know there are many of us here on WS keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. Praying that your SIL will be found safe.

Night shot - there is what looks like where a garage door is. This is the first time I have seen it . On right is that new?

It gives insight into the depth of debris. Its feet high what a mess

https://www.nachi.org/eminent-domain.htm

But over the past decade, the 4,000-square-foot structure was better known to city zoning and fire officials as a source of complaints about illegal residential uses, all-night dance parties and general blight.
The complaints came to light Saturday as Oakland officials grappled to answer questions about a blaze that took at least nine lives. The building is zoned as a warehouse, which does not allow for residential uses. Darin Ranelletti, interim director of the city Planning and Building Department, said the warehouse was under investigation to determine whether it was being illegally used for housing. “We had reports that people were living there, but we’re still trying to confirm them,” said Ranelletti, who also said that the party that took place Friday required a permit, which was not obtained.

The most recent complaint of illegal residential occupancy and blight was on Nov. 13, Ranelletti said. Inspectors confirmed that there was garbage in the outside area on the property but were not able to gain entry to the building to confirm that people were living there. An inspector went to the property Nov. 17 to investigate rogue interior construction but was not able to gain entry.
Witnesses described the interior of the building as having an eclectic mix of tapestries, instruments and an ornately carved ceiling. A makeshift staircase fashioned in part out of wooden pallets provided the only connection between the ground floor and a second-story mezzanine.
“It was just a labyrinth of little areas,” said Deputy Fire Chief Mark Hoffmann, explaining that sculptors, painters and other artists had partitioned spaces off for studios.

Al Garcia, owner of a business across the street from the warehouse at 31st Avenue and International Boulevard, said he had worried that the live-work space was a fire hazard because of the junk and debris around. The people who lived there, he said, had been trying to clean it up.
The building has been the source of blight complaints. On April 4, 2014, the Planning and Building Department received a complaint that “a large structure had been built at (the) property that had not been strapped down or stable.” No further information is available on the city’s complaint enforcement database, except that the issues had been abated.
In 2008, the city received a complaint of “trash debris and overgrowth” at the site. That, too, was cleaned up, abatedaccording to city records.
The space, which was also known as Satya Yuga, was run by Derick Ion, who lived there with his wife, Micah Allison, and children, who were staying at a hotel during the Friday event. more at link: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Building-of-fatal-fire-was-known-as-The-10689319.php

Some folks described a plastic burning smell?

The owners post was nauseating - hummm talks about wanting wealth and his family is staying in a hotel not there, where they live??

I am so sorry to hear of this. I pray that she is just in shock and cannot be found right now, but is alive and safe. I will keep you and her and your family in my prayers, and ask my husband to do the same. What an awful thing to happen. Katt

gitana1

There is a phone number below

By Allison Weeks, KRON Published: December 3, 2016, 3:40 pm

OAKLAND (KRON)—The city of Oakland has set up a family assistance center for those who are looking to find their loved ones after the deadly warehouse fire in Oakland.
Mayor Libby Schaaf tweeted that the center is on 2425 East 12th Street. People can also call (510)382-3000 if they are not sure where to find them.

http://kron4.com/2016/12/03/family-...p-following-deadly-warehouse-fire-in-oakland/

Thank you. I'm on the plane. Helpless afraid to look up more info on Facebook. Trying to get to my brother. He's out of his mind. He just had two friends have their spouse and girlfriend die and said, "I'm so lucky." I can't handle this.

Holding you tight, Gitana. :heartbeat:

What channel? I can only find coverage right now on KTVU- Channel 2 in the Bay Area.
They reported they've recovered 4 of the 9 confirmed dead.

Hi

That is where I am
Dozens have been located!

I do not recall a story that remained "stagnant" so long.

I wonder if there was any social media promoting this 'dance party' and this band's 'tour.' If so, they can also be in legal trouble, if there were no permits. Hard to believe a band would set up in such a precarious place as a 2nd floor made up of a staircase of pallets placed haphazardly as has been described.

Oakland officials: staircase leading to the second floor was on fire when crews arrived. #oaklandfire

The Daily Mail always seems to have the best pics (moo).

Absolutely heartbreaking seeing all the people who are "missing".

from your link

3B00076500000578-3996676-image-a-162_1480791258858.jpg

I would get lost without a three alarm fire

3B00076E00000578-3996676-image-a-165_1480791438965.jpg

Its worse than I imagined

3B00075E00000578-3996676-image-a-168_1480791559289.jpg

Here is video inside

[video=youtube;d-Jma50bAMs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Jma50bAMs[/video]

It seems to me like a cop car driving by would know there are people in there and they are not supposed to be??

maybe the lights caught fire. Looks like christmas tree lights

You know what? Right now I don't care whether this was an illegal living space, an art gallery, a condemned warehouse...these are all details/issues for the city of Oakland to deal with. The landlord will get whats coming to him *if* the news reports are correct.

If this is a horrible, horrible accident, or arson, the investigators will work it out and I trust it will be dealt with appropriately.

Right now I'm devastated for all those souls who were lost. All those who are still missing. All those who were just living life and are no longer with us.

I can't believe some of the comments on social media callously joking about the victims. It makes me sick. This is an absolutely awful event on a par with the Great White show at The Station nightclub. It's a tragedy and should be treated as such.

Gitana1 my thoughts are with you.

Yeah it looks super cool, and all those people missing? Horrible

No injuries, you either got out unscathed or you died? Oh man. :(

Earlier they said some people did go to area hospitals

local

My sister in law was at the rave. We cannot find her. She's not answering her phone which is dead. The coroner said she's on the unaccounted list. Please
pray for us. I'm on the plane to Oakland. Her name is Jennifer Mendiola. My brother is flipping out.

Prayers for you and your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member