CA - Massive fire at Oakland warehouse party, 36 dead, 2 Dec 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fairly confident she knew nothing more than their existence. Mayors don't deal directly w the permit or code enforcement department.

She probably did know about the warehouses. I think they were common knowledge. As we've discussed, nothing moves quickly in these situations. And I doubt she is in a hands on position with individual building inspectors. That's one of many departments she oversees. Up until now, other problems like crime have been much bigger concerns. I'm sure the unsafe warehouse living situations will move toward the top of the list of priorities. It's kind of like playing whack-a-mole in her position, I imagine.

[FONT=&amp]Michael Allison recalled Almena and Micah overcome with laughter once when they told of a fire-breather accidentally setting himself on fire at one of their many parties at the building, which was widely known as the Ghost Ship.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Almena "surrounds himself with people who are going to treat him like he's some sort of guru,"

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"They're my children. They're my friends, they're my family, they're my loves, they're my future. What else do I have to say?"

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Neighbors and colleagues said the family moved into the building in east Oakland's former industrial Fruitvale neighborhood in late 2012 or early 2013 and quickly began leasing space in it to others.

ahh lost link

trying to find but some buzz words to try and find the actual complaints are[/FONT]

housing habitability compliant 1305 31st ave,oakland CA

[h=2]NO SPRINKLER SYSTEM...[/h]
[FONT=&quot]Date Posted: Saturday 03-Dec-2016[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] hosted a regular dance party on the second Friday of every month called the Warehouse, where local Bay Area DJs would entertain the crowds and photographers would set up photo booths to snap pictures.

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]The building itself was actually owned by a trust set by Chor N. Ng. According to the [/FONT]East Bay Express[FONT=&amp], “habitability” complaints had been made about the building to Ng, with the most recent complaint being filed in November. In October 2014, the city cited Ng because of housing and other structures that were being built inside the warehouse without permits, [/FONT]East Bay Express reported, citing city records.

http://people.com/human-interest/oakland-fire-ghost-ship-venue-artist-space/

[h=3] state’s worst structure fire since 1906[/h]

Hey Everyone,

This thread will be closing this thread and starting thread #2.

Our much loved member gitana1 asked me to post a very personal letter to you all. I'll do that on the new thread.

Hang on for the link. Closing shortly.

Back peddling on no more victims ---bottom line --- 20% left to search

fire person live news local channel 2 did not catch graphic

I agree. I was just wincing a bit at all of the glowing praise she was getting considering that some tenants had submitted angry complaints about the safety issues with that specific address. It is great that she is handling it well in terms of what she is saying now but I still have some questions about her own accountability.

I hear you. As the sign on Harry Truman's desk read, "The buck stops here." So ultimately, there is accountability for her, just because she's mayor, if nothing else. I guess I don't tend to hold a mayor literally to blame for not solving every complex issue in town. Even if they promise to solve a problem, getting everyone on board isn't always going to happen. And so often, solving one, creates another one that was unforeseen. Clear out the unsafe warehouses and there will be more homeless on the streets. And on it goes. Not that efforts shouldn't be made going forward, of course. But I really don't want the spotlight to move too away from Derick Ion. This wouldn't have happened without him IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla