CA CA - Matthew Weaver, 21, Santa Monica Mountains, 10 Aug 2018 #2

The lug wrench may have been out if he thought about using the car's jack to try to get something under the wheels for traction.
The lug wrench is usually stored with the jack and used to operate the jack.

Exactly; that is what I was thinking, that Matthew spent considerable time trying to free his vehicle. He probably tried using the jack, and he probably contemplated using the wrench to get the back tire off, so he could build support beneath the wheel with rocks and regain traction (rear-wheel drive). In the photo, one can even see tire rub marks on the rock as some contact between the rock and the tire was achieved and the car was then put in gear.

If anyone questions whether it was someone other than Matthew who drove the vehicle there should consider the time and effort invested into attempting to free the vehicle. A criminal would not want to be seen around the car longer than needed. And even if that criminal was trying to free the car, what was the point? Drive it the rest of the 10 yards to the large bolder just ahead? Drive it back out? Dump it over the edge? The vehicle could have been dumped way earlier, not a whole mile from the main road. Matthew's phone activity also reinforces the theory that Matthew was not in some peril with an unknown criminal at Rosa's Lookout.

Wildcats821,
Thank you for answering my questions about Matthew's BMW. So, it does appear Matthew spent some time working on getting his car freed. Because he picked up Melissa 24 hours prior to the car's discovery, I would think Matthew placed the lugnut wrench onto the passenger seat after he dropped her off, and probably after attempting to use it on his stuck vehicle.

I posted my tip about the found glasses case and uploaded some jpg files on the link you provided.
I wouldn’t go As far as saying he spent time trying to free his car or using it after he dropped off Melissa. It wasn’t uncommon for Matthew to have tools just in his car in general. There was something always wrong with his car. The lug it wrench could have been used to free his car I just don’t have a for sure answer he used it. Thank you I will go ahead and look it over and add any remaining tips to the map. Thank you

I wouldn’t go As far as saying he spent time trying to free his car or using it after he dropped off Melissa. It wasn’t uncommon for Matthew to have tools just in his car in general. There was something always wrong with his car. The lug it wrench could have been used to free his car I just don’t have a for sure answer he used it. Thank you I will go ahead and look it over and add any remaining tips to the map. Thank you

All I was trying to say is that Matthew spent some time (at least several minutes) gathering rocks to support the back tire, a task that would not be performed by someone dumping the vehicle. And sure, Matthew may have stored the wrench in the cabin of his vehicle at all times, but if Melissa was sitting in the passenger seat few hours earlier, Matthew placed the wrench vertically on that seat probably after the vehicle came to its final stop. I doubt the wrench held its vertical position while Matthew was driving around those curvy and hilly roads. But hey, that's just my opinion, aiding me to narrow down my theory.

Last edited:
This past week my wife and I spent time searching the mountain. We have been starting at the bottom of the creek on the side his car was found, working our way up.
When downloading the online drone photos, It only lets you download 100 images. I had to download all 780 manually.
I obtained a law enforcement software, it scans images from drone footage to locate missing people or objects by using advanced image scanning technology that isolates specific pixel clusters.

All the photos from the tip site are 5472 x 3648. I found a pics of his shoes from the gofund me page. Used the software to search and I highlighted in red one of the things it found.

9xC043r.jpg

I matched the location against the Matthews google search map (I know it hasn't been updated in a while), the area on the current map is not marked. The red dot at the center, is the location of this above pic. Does anyone know if this area has been searched?

IJztuGZ.png

The gps is: 34°05'34.0"N 118°38'10.2"W
Aerial photo: 20181104-SearchScan1-065

This past week my wife and I spent time searching the mountain. We have been starting at the bottom of the creek on the side his car was found, working our way up.
When downloading the online drone photos, It only lets you download 100 images. I had to download all 780 manually.
I obtained a law enforcement software, it scans images from drone footage to locate missing people or objects by using advanced image scanning technology that isolates specific pixel clusters.

All the photos from the tip site are 5472 x 3648. I found a pics of his shoes from the gofund me page. Used the software to search and I highlighted in red one of the things it found.

9xC043r.jpg

I matched the location against the Matthews google search map (I know it hasn't been updated in a while), the area on the current map is not marked. The red dot at the center, is the location of this above pic. Does anyone know if this area has been searched?

IJztuGZ.png

The gps is: 34°05'34.0"N 118°38'10.2"W
Aerial photo: 20181104-SearchScan1-065

did you search that location of the area by the rock? Did you find anything?

Hey everyone, I am going to be sending an email to the new officer if anyone has any questions they would like to ask please let me know and I’ll add them to the list.

Hello wildcats821,

I know there were numerous past discussions about those calls for help in the early hours of 8/11/18, and they were excused as a domestic argument from a house 0.8 miles in the valley, but maybe you can answer my questions about those calls. Feel free to answer in a paragraph form with as much detail as you know.

1) The hikers who called 911 at around 1am, what were the details about those calls for help?
a) Did they hear male and female calls for help?
b) Were those calls coming from the Hondo Canyon area, and from which direction (north or south of the BMW)?
c) Were those calls for help numerous and continuous, or just one or two calls?
d) Did the calls initiate when the hikers made their presence known by making noise?
e) Did they hear anything about a gun?
f) Were those calls distant, shouted at the top of the lungs, or were they moans from much closer distance?

2) The first responders who also heard calls for help about an hour after the 911 call; same questions as above plus one:
b) Were those calls coming from the Hondo Canyon area, and from which direction (north or south of the BMW)?
d) Did the calls initiate when the responders made their presence known by making noise?
f) Were those calls distant, shouted at the top of the lungs, or were they moans from much closer distance?
g) Did the calls eventually stop, or did too much rescue commotion and noise eventually curtain the calls?

Finally, has the search map been recently updated with all the searched areas?

Map link:
Matthew Weaver - Map - خرائطي على Google

Thank you in advance.

Hello wildcats821,

I know there were numerous past discussions about those calls for help in the early hours of 8/11/18, and they were excused as a domestic argument from a house 0.8 miles in the valley, but maybe you can answer my questions about those calls. Feel free to answer in a paragraph form with as much detail as you know.

1) The hikers who called 911 at around 1am, what were the details about those calls for help?
d) Did the calls initiate when the hikers made their presence known by making noise?

2) The first responders who also heard calls for help about an hour after the 911 call; same questions as above plus one:
d) Did the calls initiate when the responders made their presence known by making noise?
g) Did the calls eventually stop, or did too much rescue commotion and noise eventually curtain the calls?

Finally, has the search map been recently updated with all the searched areas?

Map link:
Matthew Weaver - Map - خرائطي على Google

Thank you in advance.

I am going to add these to the email to the officer. I honestly cannot tell you any of the answers to these. We never really looked into the 911 call because LAPD and LHSD said immediately the call was not Matthew and had nothing to do with him. We were told it was a Domestic Dispute And the Sheriff personally went down to the house and confirmed it was them. At the time we did not question the police about it, I mean why would you, you assume they are the police and on your side. I’m going to work on the map this weekend so it will be all updated for the search on 7/12. We had to post pone the search because I have not been given the key yet.

I didn’t get to update you guys after weeks of me really digging into who owns that land. I discovered the land is owned by 3 different organizations. I spoke with many people and was finally able to reach someone who owns the area we need to go up. I wrote an email to them and they are going to put a new lock on the gate and give me a key. Now we are going to be able to drive trucks and quads back there. This is such a blessing in my brothers case. I did not want to bring up to them how those “security guards” and “construction workers” have really treated us until At least get a key. If anyone is interested I’ll post the map showing who owns what as well.

I didn’t get to update you guys after weeks of me really digging into who owns that land. I discovered the land is owned by 3 different organizations. I spoke with many people and was finally able to reach someone who owns the area we need to go up. I wrote an email to them and they are going to put a new lock on the gate and give me a key. Now we are going to be able to drive trucks and quads back there. This is such a blessing in my brothers case. I did not want to bring up to them how those “security guards” and “construction workers” have really treated us until At least get a key. If anyone is interested I’ll post the map showing who owns what as well.

@wildcats821
I'd like to see the map if its not too much trouble. TIA

It will not allow me to upload the file to this server for some reason. Is there away to get around that

wildcats821,

Maybe the file so too large to upload; I know there is a file size limit on here. You'll need to reduce the file's size.

Or, maybe you can post a download link to the file being shared on your google drive.

Or, you can post it on the Facebook page.

This is great news. I think of Matthew often. He has to be close by, he must be. I wish I could come help you search.

did you search that location of the area by the rock? Did you find anything?

Kalimouse and I joined forces and visited the Rosa's Lookout site last Friday (7/3) to explore that spot with the red outline. From viewing the drone photo, both of us thought there really may be something there. However, once we arrived at that location, there was no evidence of anything human at that specific spot. In the near proximity, about 5-7 yards away, we did locate a pair of chrome shades laying on the ground, right near the base of the same giant rock seen in the drone photo. We continued searching the area on that side of mountain for about two hours, hacking and cutting our way through growths that have not seen others pass since probably any fires ravaged the landscape. But we did come upon at least one short path that was probably cleared by the search & rescue teams nearly two years earlier. We then took a lunch break and explored the area north of where Matthew's hat was found, just below the lookout. There, we found another pair of shades hanging on a shrub, as if they were thrown from the lookout, roughly 5-10 yards from the edge of the lookout. Both pairs of shades and a white iphone charging cable we found near the entrance to an animal den are shown on the attached photo.

Attachments

• 2020-07-03 Found Items (Large).jpg
    2020-07-03 Found Items (Large).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Kalimouse and I joined forces and visited the Rosa's Lookout site last Friday (7/3) to explore that spot with the red outline. From viewing the drone photo, both of us thought there really may be something there. However, once we arrived at that location, there was no evidence of anything human at that specific spot. In the near proximity, about 5-7 yards away, we did locate a pair of chrome shades laying on the ground, right near the base of the same giant rock seen in the drone photo. We continued searching the area on that side of mountain for about two hours, hacking and cutting our way through growths that have not seen others pass since probably any fires ravaged the landscape. But we did come upon at least one short path that was probably cleared by the search & rescue teams nearly two years earlier. We then took a lunch break and explored the area north of where Matthew's hat was found, just below the lookout. There, we found another pair of shades hanging on a shrub, as if they were thrown from the lookout, roughly 5-10 yards from the edge of the lookout. Both pairs of shades and a white iphone charging cable we found near the entrance to an animal den are shown on the attached photo.
Thank you for trying, it means a lot to many x

thank you so much for going out on Friday and taking a look at it.

Hi all we created an Instagram for Matthew as well. I will post the map update on there

Login • Instagram

wildcats821,

Thank you for posting that land ownership map on Instagram.

Will the searchmap (attached) be updated with any added areas that have already been searched? I don't wish to be retracing someone else's steps.

Attachments

• Matthew Weaver - Map - Seached Area 4.jpg
    Matthew Weaver - Map - Seached Area 4.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
wildcats821,

Thank you for posting that land ownership map on Instagram.

Will the searchmap (attached) be updated with any added areas that have already been searched? I don't wish to be retracing someone else's steps.
Yes I am working with a couple different family members to get all the different areas searched. It should be updated before the weekend so we are ready for Sunday.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back