Still Missing CA - Michaela Garecht, 9, Hayward, 19 Nov 1988 *ARREST*

There is a thread, but no one witnessed Johnny being taken and they seemed to grab the sketch of Michaela's kidnapper and used it in their campaign to show a Sex trafficking ring.

My personal feeling is that Johnny's case has been so screwed up with information that doesnt apply, that the case will never be solved.

Thank you, Leprikawn. That's really what I wanted to know. I did, however, find the thread and looked around a bit. It's definitely a tough one to wrap your mind around but not related to Michaela's kidnapping at all, at least IMO.

On www.missingmichaela.com, Sharon stated that she believes the results of the DNA test won't be ready until around the anniversary of the kidnapping. (Nov 19th) :( I can't imagine how hard this must be on her and her family.

Michaela has been on my mind a lot this week, and so has Sharon. As a human being you want the family to have closure, but not in this way.
There are so many cases on this website that have really found places in my heart, but this one holds the most real estate!

One way or the other This child needs to be brought home, even if she is forever 9 years old!

FBI closer to resuming remains search
Print this Article Email this Article Text Size: A | A | A

By Scott Smith
Record Staff Writer
October 20, 2012 12:00 AM
STOCKTON - An FBI spokeswoman on Friday said that agents were moving closer to resuming the recovery of murder victims discarded years ago by killers Wesley Shermantine and Loren Herzog.

FBI spokeswoman Gina Swankie said she couldn't give a timeline of when agents would renew the recovery effort, but they are working behind the scenes to make it happen.

"It's an ongoing process," Swankie said. "There's a lot of moving parts to get to that point. We're getting there."

The statement came after Assemblywoman Cathleen Galgiani sent a five-page pointed letter dated Oct. 18 to Herb Brown, the FBI Sacramento bureau's agent in charge.

She listed a series of questions, asking Brown if he or San Joaquin County Sheriff Steve Moore were in charge of what she considers to be a flawed recovery effort. Galgiani urges Brown to take action.

"I ask that you continue the recovery effort without further delay," Galgiani wrote.

Shermantine and Herzog of Linden were arrested in 1999, ending a 15-year methamphetamine-fueled killing spree. The case reignited in February when San Joaquin County sheriff's deputies recovered the remains of five murder victims.

Herzog had committed suicide Jan. 17. Shermantine in his death row letters maintains that there are more victims to be recovered.

Contact reporter Scott Smith at (209) 546-8296 or ssmith@recordnet.com. Visit his blog at recordnet.com/smithblog.

HOME

Michaela's mom, Sharon, received an update on the bone testing. On missingmichaela.com, she states that the bone has not yet left Arizona for it's testing destination in a Virginia lab. Because of this delay, the results will not be known for another 4-6 weeks. :(

Michaela's mom, Sharon, received an update on the bone testing. On missingmichaela.com, she states that the bone has not yet left Arizona for it's testing destination in a Virginia lab. Because of this delay, the results will not be known for another 4-6 weeks. :(

Hugs for Sharon. How awful to keep waiting like this.

I was watching LMN True Movie Thursday and watched the story on Elizabeth Smart and Ann Sluti. As I was watching these two true life movies, I wondered, why can't they all come home like that? :/
I had forgotten about the Ann Sluti case, but it is a miraculous story. Her captor. Tony Zappa, "The Jack Rabbit", recieved life in prison.
I was thinking about Michaela as I watched this, mostly because Ann was taken from a mall parking lot in broad daylight, with witnesses present. And although this sicko had many opportunities to kill Ann, he did not, and he said it was because he did not want to be alone. Stories like this is what gives hope that there's a chance they are alive in a hostage situation. But at the same time, it's very likely Michaela has finally been found. I just hope the answers come soon for Sharon.

I was watching LMN True Movie Thursday and watched the story on Elizabeth Smart and Ann Sluti. As I was watching these two true life movies, I wondered, why can't they all come home like that? :/
I had forgotten about the Ann Sluti case, but it is a miraculous story. Her captor. Tony Zappa, "The Jack Rabbit", recieved life in prison.
I was thinking about Michaela as I watched this, mostly because Ann was taken from a mall parking lot in broad daylight, with witnesses present. And although this sicko had many opportunities to kill Ann, he did not, and he said it was because he did not want to be alone. Stories like this is what gives hope that there's a chance they are alive in a hostage situation. But at the same time, it's very likely Michaela has finally been found. I just hope the answers come soon for Sharon.
This is one of those cases where you can only pray that Michaela comes home to her family! What ever happened cant be changed unfortunately, and if the bone ends up being Michaela, she will come home and its tragic that it ends that way.
If it isnt Michaela, then my hope is that the media puts her back in the spotlight and hopefully gets THE lead that brings her home.

This case is so weird in the way things have occured. Michaela's picture coming on the TV as Sharon gave birth to Michaela's sibling! The fact that testing on the bone will be done within a couple of weeks of the anniversary of the kidnapping. Michaela's poem she wrote a short time before that talks about someone being captured.

So many coincidences! The biggest being that this bone was identified at all. by all accounts Joanne Hobson's mother should have buried the bones and with it any chance of identifying other remains. But something was whispering in her ear.......and Thank God for that!

I really do believe this case is meant to be solved! I dont think this is one of the cases meant to be in the books forever!

I'm praying for Michaela's family. when i first heard the story I was so heartbroken for her mom. I hope they get answers soon. I hate hearing stories about children getting kidnapped and years later no answers,nothing. Almost like they vanished into thin air. Godbless her and her family.

I hope Michaela's family gets word back soon if the bone fragment they found with Joann Hobson's remains are in fact Michaela's. 24 years is such a long time to not know what happened to her. Prayers to them.

Sharon is having a gathering today for Michaela. For all those in the area of CA:) If not, be there in spirit. I hope she gets answers soon.

Wow, 24 years...Michaela would be older than me now!
I hope her family gets answers soon. These never-ending missing children stories are so heartbreaking.

New Shermantine letter discusses missing Hayward girl.

In the letter, Shermantine says, "I finally figured out why Herzog knew Hayward so well. His sister used to live there and he would visit her. ... That is something I don't like to be accused of, is that little girl."

Read more: http://www.kcra.com/news/New-Sherma...rl/-/11797728/17482000/-/8rxjiuz/-/index.html

"That little girl." :( I find it really hard to believe that Shermantine didn't know about Michaela. Seems information is slowly coming out from him though.

New Shermantine letter discusses missing Hayward girl.

In the letter, Shermantine says, "I finally figured out why Herzog knew Hayward so well. His sister used to live there and he would visit her. ... That is something I don't like to be accused of, is that little girl."

Read more: http://www.kcra.com/news/New-Sherma...rl/-/11797728/17482000/-/8rxjiuz/-/index.html

"That little girl." :( I find it really hard to believe that Shermantine didn't know about Michaela. Seems information is slowly coming out from him though.

I hope Shermantine keeps talking, but we all know he was in on everything. And someone was holding Michaela down in that car. If Herzog Did take her I believe he had help, either from Shermantine or maybe someone else.

His wife was always quick to defend him, but didnt think it weird that he was out and about with Wesley till all hours of the night. The Police should look into her and see if that Palm print matches hers.

Going to keep bumping for Michaela till we hear the DNA results! So I apologize now if it gets annoying!

I dont know what to believe but it seems that Sharon is taking this one very seriously. So I would assume she knows something about this that we don't.

I would like to hear what everyone else feels about this DNA test and Herzog as the kidnapper.

It's not annoying...it is a great way of having a vigil. :grouphug:

Hi there. I'm new to this forum. Only discovered it a while ago, so this is my first post. :) Nice to meet everyone!

For some reason Michaela's case has been on my mind a lot ever since I heard her story. It just won't leave my mind, and now it stays even more in my mind with the discovery of the bone. I just really wish for her to go home alive and be with her family, I really do, but it's been so long. :( Her poor mother has no idea about her daughter for almost 1/4 of a century. My heart really goes out to her. I have no idea how painful it is for her, but I really do hope she gets answers one day, even if they're the ones we don't want. I've been checking her blog and Facebook waiting for an answers with the DNA, but they haven't even started it apparently.

My opinion on the bone, Sharon said it has some matches to her DNA in regards to blood type, etc, but don't know for sure. I really think it is Michaela though, I feel it in my heart. If Shermantine claimed she was in the well, I believe him. I know other families of other missing children who disappeared around that time in that area have been notified too, so it could be them. Either way, I know Sharon would prefer her alive. Myself too, as said I would love nothing more than for her to be reunited with her mother, if I could have one wish that would be it, but I just have a feeling these are hers and I hope this brings Sharon some closure, and at least they can have a proper burial and (maybe) take comfort in the fact she's not somewhere they can't find being tortured and raped.

Herzog does look like the composite, I must say. Especially when he had long hair (that matches the exact description - blonde, wavy, same length). I'd be interested if the witness said it could be Herzog, but I assume he would've been one of the ones they'd pointed out to her when she was asked to identify the kidnapper.

It's just all round sad. :(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24