CA CA - Modesto, WhtFem #UP58456,"Frosty Austin," Oct'18

Thank you for looking into this and submitting. I have a few reservations. The Namus file for the UID mentioned blue eyes (honestly in her pictures they look brown) Donna has brown eyes. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

The other thing is the timeline. Donna went missing in 1989. I'm just wondering if and how the following could fit in Donna's story:

From timeline up thread.
April 16, 1984 - (*34 years old) Resides in Stockton, CA - zip code 95205
Recently divorced (17 Oct 1983) Donald G. Austin (56 years old at the time) shares same dates of occupancy, and zip code April 16, 1984 to November 15, 2007
I can certainly see why you have reservation, and agree. Here are my thoughts:

1. Yes, Donna is listed as having brown eyes, however, the notes say that Donna's "Eyes were either brown or blue."

2. According to Donna's profile "She was reported missing on 06/18/1990, seven months after she was last seen. The reason for this is unknown and there are few details about her case."

Suspicions were raised with regard to the peculiar reporting of her missing. It may be that she was gone before the reported date, or that Donna kept in contact with family while living in California up until the reported missing date.

After being missing for seven months, Donna J Ambrose was reported to have went missing around November 1989 in Cleveland, OH. Twenty-nine years later, on October 6, 2018, this unidentified deceased female was found in Modesto, CA, appearing to conceal her identity.

These two people appear to be the same two people, with the unidentified now heavier, and older. Note that at times, both had reddish hair, whether natural, or dyed, and that their hair parts in the same place at the top.

These cases have been submitted to NamUs, and both investigating agencies.

View attachment 418358

Donna J Ambrose
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
OH - Donna J. Ambrose, 33, Cleveland Ohio, 01 November 1989

Modesto, CA Unidentified Female
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
IMO these women do not resemble each other. I don't believe the circumstances match up, either.

IMO these women do not resemble each other. ...
I suspect age, weight, and makeup (particularly the unidentified's eyeshadow and eyeliner) may play a significant role in obfuscating the unidentified's original appearance to many.

If I may ask, which of the following facial features do you feel are not of resemblance?
  • Forehead
  • Brow
  • Eyes
  • Nose
  • Cheeks
  • Mouth
  • Jaw/Chin

View attachment 418358

Last edited:
I suspect age, weight, and makeup (particularly the unidentified's eyeshadow and eyeliner) will play a role in obfuscating the unidentified's original appearance to many.

If I may ask, which of the following facial features do you feel are not of resemblance?
  • Forehead
  • Brow
  • Eyes
  • Nose
  • Cheeks
  • Mouth
  • Chin

View attachment 418358
Let me start by saying I have more facial recognition experience than the average bear. Weight difference or not, these are not the same woman. I feel all their features are different -- hairline is higher for Donna, browbone is more curved vs flatter, eyes are different shapes and colors, noses are completely different (pointed down vs forward, longer vs shorter, sharper/narrower vs flatter/wider bridge), teeth are different shapes and spacing, lips are different shapes, Frosty's chin appears to be pointier.

IMO the only resemblance between the two women is that they are redheads with round faces.

Also worth noting, Donna had children. There's been no mention of any evidence Frosty ever had children.

I've noted something that may support your theory, @ProductiveOne . Both Donna and Frosty appear to be wearing convex lenses for presbyopia. Convex lenses have a magnifying glass effect and make the eyes look bigger, as opposed to concave lenses for myopia that have a condensing effect and make the eyes look smaller. In Donna's picture the light hits her right cheek through the lens as through a magnifying glass. In Frosty's glasses picture her lenses appear to magnify her eyes, in which case she is wearing convex lenses as well. So educated guesswork tells me both ladies were farsighted and consequently wore convex corrective lenses.

YMMV (that's from my vintage razor collecting days lol...).

I've noted something that may support your theory, @ProductiveOne . Both Donna and Frosty appear to be wearing convex lenses for presbyopia. Convex lenses have a magnifying glass effect and make the eyes look bigger, as opposed to concave lenses for myopia that have a condensing effect and make the eyes look smaller. In Donna's picture the light hits her right cheek through the lens as through a magnifying glass. In Frosty's glasses picture her lenses appear to magnify her eyes, in which case she is wearing convex lenses as well. So educated guesswork tells me both ladies were farsighted and consequently wore convex corrective lenses.

YMMV (that's from my vintage razor collecting days lol...).
Refreshing. That is a very aspiring, keen observation. Thank you.

Also worth noting, Donna had children. There's been no mention of any evidence Frosty ever had children.
I don't find that since the unidentified's profile does not mention she's beared children, that it's a strong indication that she hasn't. Nevertheless, I have not seen any information which indicates Donna had children. Did you find this on Ancestry, or some place else?

Last edited:
I don't find that since the unidentified's profile does not mention she's beared children, that it's a strong indication that she hasn't. Nevertheless, I have not seen any information which indicates Donna had children. Did you find this on Ancestry, or some place else?
I found Donna mentioned in the obituaries of her family members who have since passed away, including that of her son.

Are these missing people? Names, locations, circumstances?

Upthread posters found records for Frosty Austin in the area.

jmho ymmv lrr

This lady has been my nemesis since she was found. I'm really not convinced she's mexican. There are so many people that could be her going by DOB. I'm not even convinced the fob she gave Is true. Aside from the info already found (sorry if you followed a weird trail on ancestry and family Search I started) I did also find she owed money to a jewelry store in Texas. But I can't find it now .
All these ladies match up. I think they could be possible? Teresa rains (There's-frosty?) Yes I'm reaching went missing 6 years prior in CA. Second lady just I feel looks like her.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230712-213821.png
    Screenshot_20230712-213821.png
    451.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20230512-223310.png
    Screenshot_20230512-223310.png
    174.2 KB · Views: 11
I found Donna mentioned in the obituaries of her family members who have since passed away, including that of her son.
Her husband, and one of her three sons had passed away much too soon. I read a heartbreaking message the father wrote on his son's obituary, to have then passed himself less than a year later. I spoke to one of her sons, and he says that the unidentified is not his mother.

Her husband, and one of her three sons had passed away much too soon. I read a heartbreaking message the father wrote on his son's obituary, to have then passed himself less than a year later. I spoke to one of her sons, and he says that the unidentified is not his mother.
Thank you for letting us know. Condolences to the family.

Oh how I wish my mother-in-law was still living. She practically knew everyone in Stockton, CA. Especially someone like this lady, “Frosty Austin/O’Malley.”

Given the DOJ labor violation listing, I agree that Frosty was likely not a U.S. citizen.

I've mulled this over for a while and think there might be merit in comparing her to Helen Claire Frost (b. 1952), who went missing from British Columbia at 17 years of age in late 1970. RCMP seem to have written her off as a suicide, as she was reported to be distraught after she was forced to give her infant up for adoption in early 1970 and had unsuccessfully petitioned for reunification in the months prior her disappearance. She would have been 66 years old in 2018.

Helen Frost (WS thread here) currently seems to be a candidate for New London Co. Jane Doe (CT-USA), but the age-progression images on the Doe Network reminded me immediately of Frosty. Older Helen is depicted as wearing glasses and growing into a much heavier-set frame than she was at the time of her disappearance. She also matches Frosty's reported height and eye color, and is listed as having a slight droop of the right eye. I can see a similarity between the shape of the two women's eyes and nose, particularly the space between the eyebrows and and nose bridge. I also think Frosty's right eye has a slight droop, but this could be confirmation bias on my part.

I think RCMP/Connecticut's interest in Helen lends credence to voluntary disappearance as an alternate explanation for her whereabouts. She reportedly hitchhiked with regularity and used at least two aliases. Prince George seems like a million miles away from Stockton, but it's a straight shot down the Trans-Canada Hwy to the I-5.

Returning quickly to physical features, I think Helen Frost's biological daughter bears resemblance to both her mother's age-progression photos and Frosty. The daughter found Helen's sister a few years ago and spoke with the CBC about the search for her birth mother (which seems to include the use of genetic ancestry services); her image is not included in the CBC articles, but her name is listed and professional profile accessible via the web.

I do not know if anyone has previously suggested Helen Frost for Frosty; currently, the only NamUs rule-out for Frosty is Elizabeth Huffman.
Was Helen Claire Frost ever submitted? I’m finding all the similarities to be pretty intriguing . . .

Was Helen Claire Frost ever submitted? I’m finding all the similarities to be pretty intriguing . . .
On second look, Helen seems to have wider-set, downturned eyes and a more bulbous nose tip. Although I’m not sure how much aging and weight gain could affect those facial features.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back