CA - Multiple Dead, Injured in Shootings at Two Half Moon Bay Mushroom Farms - Chunli Zhao Arrested, Jan 2023

HALF MOON BAY -- Authorities in Half Moon Bay confirmed seven people were killed and one was critically wounded in a mass shooting Monday afternoon, and a suspect is in custody after turning himself in to the San Mateo County Sheriff.

San Mateo County Sheriff's deputies were dispatched at 2:22 p.m. to the Magic Mushroom Farm at 12761 San Mateo Road/Highway 92 in unincorporated San Mateo County on a report of a shooting with multiple victims.

Upon arrival, deputies located four victims deceased with gunshot wounds. A fifth victim, also suffering from gunshot wounds, was transported to Stanford Medical Center with life-threatening injuries.

Deputies then raced to second shooting scene -- this one at a mushroom farm located at 2125 Cabrillo Highway S./Highway 1. Three other deceased victims were found there a short time later, the sheriff's office said.

While it was not clear yet how the two businesses might be connected, the suspect was described as a disgruntled employee who worked at one of the farms. The victims were all believed to be workers, authorities said.

[…]

Update: 7 dead in Half Moon Bay mass shooting; suspect in custody identified

Authorities identified the suspect as 67-year-old Half Moon Bay resident Chunli Zhao. He was taken into custody without incident at about 4:40 p.m. after he was found in his vehicle in the parking lot of the sheriff's office substation in Half Moon Bay, the sheriff's office said. A semi-automatic handgun was found in his car.

These are mushroom farms.
Authorities responded to the 12700 block of San Mateo Road at the Mountain Mushroom Farm [inaccurate location data omitted by me]. Deputies found four victims deceased with gunshot wounds. A fifth victim, also suffering from gunshot wounds, was transported to Stanford Medical Center with life threatening injuries.
Then shortly after at the Concord Farms on the 2100 block of Cabrillo Highway South - less than 3 miles away from the Mountain Mushroom Farm - three additional victims were located, also deceased with gunshot wounds.

Second attack in California (though far apart) in three days by older Asian males. It's a weird coincidence. Daily Mail is calling it a 'workplace dispute' and says that the man had worked decades at one of the farms where he shot people and that they were co-workers. Though later the sheriff said he's 'believed' to be a co-worker so I'm not sure if it's 100% confirmed.

I wonder if this is something of a copy-cat, in that maybe the guy was wavering on the edge of violence and then seeing the other shooting at the ballroom a couple of days ago made him decide to go forward. MOO.

Second attack in California (though far apart) in three days by older Asian males. It's a weird coincidence. Daily Mail is calling it a 'workplace dispute' and says that the man had worked decades at one of the farms where he shot people and that they were co-workers. Though later the sheriff said he's 'believed' to be a co-worker so I'm not sure if it's 100% confirmed.

I wonder if this is something of a copy-cat, in that maybe the guy was wavering on the edge of violence and then seeing the other shooting at the ballroom a couple of days ago made him decide to go forward. MOO.

Good point and I think it's very likely that this shooter may have been 'inspired' or at least tipped over the edge by the dancehall rampage.

Hopefully there's a very long break in the series from now.

SBM
  • Chunli Zhao, 66, told NBC Bay Area he wasn't right in his mind ...
  • Zhao said he was bullied and worked long hours on the farms and that his complaints were ignored, the station reported.
SBM
  • "He was super red and very angry,"...
  • Zhao turned to look at them, then hopped onto a forklift [snip]. His demeanor had changed, they said.
  • "He was laughing, he was smiling," Erlin Ortiz said. "We saw him get on the forklift, and when he turned to see us, he was making fun of the situation."
  • "The question was whether there is any evidence of a copycat of Monterey Park. We believe the answer is no. Not just simply we're not sure. We believe the answer is no.."

What sad news I read every day. Isn't it possible to stop it! I know a lot about terrorism, I used https://studydriver.com/terrorism/ for this. We can see it especially often in Iran, Iraq. I don't understand their culture at all and that they can just give up their lives like that, killing others in the process.
Oh my god.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acalvert