CA - Multiple Deaths In Mass Shootings At Two Dance Studios in Monterey Park By Gunman Huu Can Tran, Jan 2023

<modsnip - quoted post removed>
Finally reached family. Thankfully, they decided not to go out last evening. All safe. Praying for the family and friends of the victims and for those who are wounded.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the abc7 live feed.
Live feed.

Star Dance studio is where the shooting happened. Something also happened at LAI LAI Dance studio in Alhambra. No shots fired at second location.

At the second location? Possibly. <modsnip - rumor "I also heard...">
The second possible scene was located at the Lai Lai Ballroom and Studio on 120 block of South Garfield Avenue though it remains unclear whether the two scenes were connected.
According to early reports, officials were searching to see whether the suspect had gone to that ballroom, which was approximately two miles away from the mass shooting in Monterey Park.
No one was injured in Alhambra.

Last edited by a moderator:
Imo, ballroom dancing. I heard it's a big deal every weekend.
As the nearby Lunar New Year celebrations imply, the area is majority Asian.

Dancing in formal ball room settings, west coast swing, and for urban cowboys- country western are very popular forms of recreation amongst Asians in the LA area. I remember reading an article about a Vietnamese couple winning the national west coast swing championship.
Was there a program or party going on there?

It doesn’t sound like bar where alcohol is served. It sounds like the kind of a place you take children
My vague impressions is that dance floors in these areas come in several variations.

Some are studios with, as you stated, a focus on children.

Others, however, maybe focused on adults (dancing is popular with LA area Asians) and exist as kind of a private or semi private club where those interested in dancing there apply for membership and probably pay a fee. Other such venues could be open to anyone who wants in,

I imagine alcohol also varies from none (possibly this one?), to alcohol licenses, to BYOB to "grey" sales. Say, the owner's relative always BYOBs in cooler size quantity- then mixes popular drinks for "tips" while hoping the city does not show up.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg
Back