Found Deceased CA - Naya Rivera, "Glee Actress", missing from boat with son, 4, (fnd alive), Lake Piru, 9 July 2020

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by swedeheart, Jul 9, 2020.

1. La Louve

La Louve For Whitney and Teghan

I've been following the news about Naya Rivera. She was the best thing about Glee, IMO.

I'm so glad she was found and her family and loved ones can move to the next step in grieving. Nothing worse for a family than a loved one never being found. I'm thankful they've been spared at least that anguish.

Rest in Peace, Naya. :rose:

2. La Louve

deleted duplicate post

3. Al Hoffman

Al Hoffman For Ashley Andrews and Murray

Apparently, her last act was to save her son. She was a good mother. God bless her and her family.

4. Only4Justice

Only4Justice Well-Known Member

He did a good job IMO

5. kaykay543

kaykay543 Well-Known Member

Those ladders are very hard to get up. The one we rented only 2 rungs. You have to be able to pull your entire body weight out of the water, just to get on the first step. Even my young in shape daughter in law had trouble and had to have help.

6. Only4Justice

Only4Justice Well-Known Member

Agree.

7. ar3593

ar3593 Well-Known Member

Wow, very possible and tragic if that happened!

8. GuyfromCanada

GuyfromCanada Well-Known Member

The 4-year-old son of “Glee” actress Naya Rivera, whose body was recovered Monday from Lake Piru after she went missing during a boating trip with her son last week, says his mom boosted him back on to the deck of their rented boat before he looked back and saw her disappearing under the water, authorities said.

Sheriff: 'Glee' Actress Naya Rivera Saved Son Before Drowning

9. ar3593

ar3593 Well-Known Member

So tragic, my heart hurts...poor Josey
    Naya was indeed a great mother, selfless to the end..

10. dixiegirl1035

dixiegirl1035 Well-Known Member

The lake where I live had a death at the houseboat area a few years back. Folks were swimming and floating at the back of the boat, and with the exhaust of carbon monoxide, they went under and died. DO NOT float behind an idling boat/near exhaust. Especially at the swim platform!

Sounds to me this is likely/possible scenario from the description that she boosted him up on the back deck and she went under.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning dangers for boaters

[​IMG]

11. Mauig’ma

Mauig’ma Well-Known Member

RIP

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    LinasK, Steph8angels and La Louve like this.
  12. Maplesyrup

Maplesyrup Well-Known Member

A thought occurred to me. According to the briefing on TV today, her son told LE that his mom pushed him back up on the boat? Snakes swim on water and rattlesnakes are native to California. People have seen snakes on the water and on occasion they have gotten into boats. I hope she is checked carefully for any viper bites such as this. What a horrible, horrible thing that would be to have a rattlesnake [or any snake] swim up to you and your child. Complete panic. Just my thoughts but it sure makes me wonder if something like this may have happened. It wouldn't take much panic to get a mouthful of water especially if something like that was trying to get up out of the water.

13. Rockymtnmermaid

Rockymtnmermaid Well-Known Member

I mean no disrespect but this is highly unlikely. I grew up on a lake in Texas and have been around lakes, rivers, etc my entire life and I’ve seen plenty of snakes in the water. They do not swim for you to attack. Quite the opposite, if one happens to get to close just splash a little and it will change its course. I’ve never ever heard of one trying to access a boat. They’ve fallen out of trees into boats but this isn’t a Hollywood movie. Snakes are harmless in water.

14. Whiteorchids

Whiteorchids Well-Known Member

And for future lake swimmers please never swim in the middle of a lake without life saving vest on. If only she had put hers on it could have saved her life also make sure even your young children know how to dial 911 on a phone to get help.

15. Angela_Beckett

Angela_Beckett Lurker Extraordinaire

She mustered the energy to save her son’s life. A mother’s love.

Naya :(

16. Whiteorchids

Whiteorchids Well-Known Member

Omg I live in CA been waterskiing in our lakes and others all my life and have never seen or felt a snake in the water. After reading this I will never go in a Lake again. Thanks a lot lol

17. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

We've seen small ones swimming in a creek (in PA mountains) while we were swimming in the same creek. Their tiny heads poke up above the surface and when they see humans, they swim in the opposite direction. It's all good because we also swim in the opposite opposite direction (and out onto the rocks).

I guess there could be snakes in that lake, but I don't see them as a threat to any swimmer. JMO

18. Tbone144

Tbone144 Well-Known Member

Snakes seem an unlikely threat. Panic would probably happen seeing one, but if she was bit unless she had an anaphylactic reaction, she would have survived. The likelihood of stumbling across a venomous snake (although nonvenomous might incite panic) in a lake would be like finding a needle in a haystack. If snakes freak you out and you have Facebook, join the “National Snakebite Support Group” and you can learn about how to take care of yours self and others in the event of a snake bite. They even have veterinarians on the page. Just don’t comment, that page is all business. Nationally recognized doctors who want people to have proper treatment for bites. Also join your local snake pages to be able to learn to identify them properly. I’ve learned to respect even the venomous ones.

19. La Louve

Interesting theory.

Has there been any reporting that the boat engine had been/was running when they found it?

My experience with pontoon boats on lakes is that once you motor to the spot on the lake you want to hang out at, you shut off the engine.

20. WillenFan21

WillenFan21 Well-Known Member

Honestly I think law enforcement speculation on what happened is correct. They were probably were swimming and maybe she forgot about the boat not being anchored and noticed it had drifted away. I'm sure she panicked thinking of her son, and holding him she got him to be the boat but by the time she got to it and got him up on it was exhausted and just sank under. She probably got too tired out to help herself and just sank not being able to bring herself back up. The only question I have which will be unanswered is why didn't she grab a hold of the ladder once Josey got up unless the boat drifted further and she couldn't reach it?