CA CA - Nipton, WhtFem 18-25, 778UFCA, GSW, in mine shaft, May'76

Maybe it's a relatively new SOP for unidentified remains, but this article states San Bernardino does cremate them, if I'm reading this correctly.

Coroner Launches Internet Site on Unclaimed Bodies

Here's hoping they kept something they can use, heavy sigh.

I think this article is mostly about deceased people found, they have a name, but can't find next of kin...."Unclaimed" and not Unidentified they call them. Namus has a section about those cases to....I always find it heartbreaking when I take a look.

It doesn't seem to me something to wear when you are hitchhiking, but I could be wrong. Zzyzx had a health spa and heated pools.Could explain the bathing suit and no shoes.....but it's a longer drive (around 60 miles) to where she was dumped. Do we know she was shot somewhere else and dumped there, or was she shot in the mine shaft?

When it comes to the no shoes thing.
If people are dragged across the ground, by holding under their arms, shoes can fall off in the process. Sandals, heels, shoes Or she may never had them on to begin with. With that attire I would expect light footwear like sandals, tennis shoes, or sneakers/canvas.

Personally I am under the impression she was murdered elsewhere. Then dragged to the car, or from the car and to the shaft. Either way, she ended up there. Heck,even the car could be the crime-scene. or nearby area.

When it comes to the no shoes thing.
If people are dragged across the ground, by holding under their arms, shoes can fall off in the process. Sandals, heels, shoes Or she may never had them on to begin with. With that attire I would expect light footwear like sandals, tennis shoes, or sneakers/canvas.

Personally I am under the impression she was murdered elsewhere. Then dragged to the car, or from the car and to the shaft. Either way, she ended up there. Heck,even the car could be the crime-scene. or nearby area.

Yes your theory that she had sandals or shoes seems to be believable, if she did not have them to begin with and the crime happened outside then she would have had some sort of dirt on her feet, right? That part of the country is very humid and "tropical", so it's very likely she would have had some dirt on her feet if she had been walking with no shoes.

I recently was in the area where she was found and it has left me with some questions. The first being: Isn’t Clark Mountain near Mt. Pass CA right near the Molycorp plant? If so, why in the world is it listed as “Nipton” which is not exactly close by? Also, if a family out hiking did indeed find her, I am guessing there must have been a road or some sort of drivable trail leading up to this mine? One more swimming spot that I didn’t see mentioned was Lake Delores, which was a pretty popular place around her time of death.

I recently was in the area where she was found and it has left me with some questions. The first being: Isn’t Clark Mountain near Mt. Pass CA right near the Molycorp plant? If so, why in the world is it listed as “Nipton” which is not exactly close by? Also, if a family out hiking did indeed find her, I am guessing there must have been a road or some sort of drivable trail leading up to this mine? One more swimming spot that I didn’t see mentioned was Lake Delores, which was a pretty popular place around her time of death.

I think you are right about Nipton. It's confusing. Depending on the source she was found in a mine shaft (“BB#1 Mine, Clark Mt.”) Blue Buzzard mine? or in a mineshaft near interstate 15 and Cima road. <that would be exit 272>
9zLgsDm.jpg

Jane Doe is also referred to as Mojave-Jane-Doe, I believe. The place you mention, would that be the Mountain Pass mine? That is closer to Nipton, but still no where near Nipton itself, and also not very near the Cima road, if I'm correct. You would almost start wondering if they lost the file and can't pinpoint the exact finding place anymore.

I think you are right about Nipton. It's confusing. Depending on the source she was found in a mine shaft (“BB#1 Mine, Clark Mt.”) Blue Buzzard mine? or in a mineshaft near interstate 15 and Cima road. <that would be exit 272>
9zLgsDm.jpg

Jane Doe is also referred to as Mojave-Jane-Doe, I believe. The place you mention, would that be the Mountain Pass mine? That is closer to Nipton, but still no where near Nipton itself, and also not very near the Cima road, if I'm correct. You would almost start wondering if they lost the file and can't pinpoint the exact finding place anymore.

If it is where I think it is, it is next to a huge mining plant (Molycorp). I’m curious if that particular mine that she was found in was being mined by that plant or if it was one no longer in use. My thought is that the person who dumped the body was familiar with the area enough to know it was there or just got darn lucky to find it driving around with a body to dispose of. It sounds like they believe she was killed elsewhere?

If it was the Mountain Pass mine I believe it was working and still worked for a long time after this lady was found. I know it's Wiki. Mountain Pass mine - Wikipedia

History[edit]

The Mountain Pass mine dominated worldwide REE production from the 1960s to the 1980s (USGS).
The Mountain Pass deposit was discovered in 1949 by Herbert S. Woodward, Clarence Watkins and P. A. Simon, who noticed anomalously high radioactivity.[7] Molybdenum Corporation of America bought most[8] of the mining claims, and began small-scale production in 1952.

Production expanded greatly in the 1960s, to supply demand for europium used in color television screens. Between 1965 and 1995, the mine supplied most of the worldwide rare-earth metals consumption.[9]

Molybdenum Corporation of America changed its name to Molycorp in 1974. The corporation was acquired by Union Oil in 1977, which in turn became part of Chevron Corporation in 2005.[10]

In 1998, the mine's separation plant ceased production of refined rare earth compounds; it continued to produce bastnäsite concentrate.[11]

The mine closed in 2002 due to environmental restrictions and competition from Chinese suppliers, though processing of previously mined ore continued.[12]

In 2008, Chevron sold the mine to privately held Molycorp Minerals LLC, a company formed to revive the Mountain Pass mine. Molycorp announced plans to spend $500 million to reopen and expand the mine, and on July 29, 2010, it raised about $400 million through an initial public offering, selling 28,125,000 shares at $14 under the ticker symbol MCP on the New York Stock Exchange.[13]

In December 2010, Molycorp announced that it had secured all the environmental permits needed to build a new ore processing plant at the mine; construction would begin in January 2011, and was expected to be completed by the end of 2012. On August 27, 2012, the company announced that mining had restarted.

The processing plant was in full production on June 25, 2015, when Molycorp filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy with outstanding bonds in the amount of $US 1.4 billion. The company's shares were removed from the NYSE.

In August 2015, it was reported that the mine was to be shut down.

etc.

About MP Materials
Here is also a historical timeline. About MP Materials

This is about the Blue Buzzard mine. Blue Buzzard

Here is the Blue Buzzard mine located. They mined lead and silver.

upload_2021-12-25_11-38-42.png

Still hard to tell the exact location where she was found. I agree with you, possible somebody who knew about the mines instead of just driving around in the Mojave dessert looking for a dumping place and stumbled onto the/a mine. How would you access the Blue Buzzard mine with a vehicle, I wonder? I can't see a murderer taking her on the shoulders and bringing her there. My thinking is she was found closer to the main road.

On this picture there seems to be some kind of road. More evidence that this wasn't an at random dumping?

upload_2021-12-25_11-47-54.png

Google Maps
e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x6ca10396e8793817!8m2!3d35.43806!4d-115.53528

Last edited:
Another picture of the area. Actually I'm leaning more and more towards the Blue Buzzard mine....for it's seclusive location. A stranger to the area would never have found it IMO. It was somebody's dumping place.

Attachments

• upload_2021-12-25_12-6-34.png
    upload_2021-12-25_12-6-34.png
    988.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I'm not necessarily surprised she was wearing a bathing suit. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned Lake Mead and the Colorado River. Lake Havasu and Lake Mohave also are nearby. Maybe she was planning for a day on a boat or at one of the beaches. And, of course, this area has hot springs, hotels with pools, etc. People think of the desert as "there's nothing there," but many people love the desert (I do!) and there's plenty of recreation opportunities. I also am reminded of a recent missing person case here on Websleuths, the missing woman was hiking in the desert in a bikini. Not my choice for hiking attire but not completely unusual, and perhaps this Jane Doe preferred to hike in her suit too, especially if they were hoping to find a hot spring or a waterfall along the hike.

Perhaps the person who left her in the mine knew of it because he was a hiker or he explored mines. He could have worked at the mine or another nearby one, as well. Or maybe someone told him about it, such as a friend who had explored the area.

I hope they can do forensic genealogy and figure out who she is.

UID has 5 exclusions:

Thumbnail

Missing Person / NamUs #MP14106Pamela Burrows
Date of Last ContactJanuary 01, 1973
StateWA
CountyKing
Thumbnail

Missing Person / NamUs #MP14520Eileen Hynson
Date of Last ContactJune 01, 1976
StateCA
CountyNapa
Thumbnail

Missing Person / NamUs #MP1094Patsy Ravens
Date of Last ContactSeptember 04, 1977
StateAZ
CountyMaricopa
Thumbnail

Missing Person / NamUs #MP2502Linda Nickell
Date of Last ContactFebruary 27, 1976
StateMI
CountyGenesee
Thumbnail

Missing Person / NamUs #MP5658Catherine Sjoberg
Date of Last ContactJune 05, 1974
StateWI
CountyJefferson

I am guessing with “DNA: Not available - Insufficient DNA for profiling”, she wouldn’t be a candidate for something like DNA Doe? Unless maybe exhuming the body is a possibility?
I imagine they'd have to exhume her unless there's DNA in evidence that they can work with.

The other day, I was looking at old family albums and saw pictures of family and friends who were at the Mojave desert during the same time period that Nipton Jane Doe was found. What caught my attention was that the females wore their swim suits, and were sunning themselves on top of the RV. I believe they were at the Mojave Preserve. My point is, is that Nipton Jane Doe could have been lounging in her bathing suit and not necessarily near water, but who knows? Just a thought.

The other day, I was looking at old family albums and saw pictures of family and friends who were at the Mojave desert during the same time period that Nipton Jane Doe was found. What caught my attention was that the females wore their swim suits, and were sunning themselves on top of the RV. I believe they were at the Mojave Preserve. My point is, is that Nipton Jane Doe could have been lounging in her bathing suit and not necessarily near water, but who knows? Just a thought.
Hi and welcome @Vivian Q. Must be nice to look at this nostalgic pictures. I always enjoy it. Good to have this info.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back